2017-2018 University of Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the cultural diversity/talent prompt I wanted to discuss being a Mexican American, but I mentioned that in my personal statement already. Would it be better to expand on that or talk about something different?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd go with a talent or an interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your app's status change once it is in review? I submitted the secondary early July, and my status is still "Invited to complete supplemental application" even though I successfully submitted it...

Reactions: 1 users
Does your app's status change once it is in review? I submitted the secondary early July, and my status is still "Invited to complete supplemental application" even though I successfully submitted it...

I was checking the portal semi-regularly before my II, and my status was always "Invited to complete supplemental application", even after being complete. When scheduling my interview, I saw that it had changed to "Application is complete and under review".

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!!!

Complete 7/7, LM 76, OOS

Good luck to my fellow applicants!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
I was checking the portal semi-regularly before my II, and my status was always "Invited to complete supplemental application", even after being complete. When scheduling my interview, I saw that it had changed to "Application is complete and under review".

So do you think they change the status to "application complete and under review" when they review your application? I submitted 7/6, but mine still just says "invited to complete supplemental application." Congrats on the II btw!

Last edited:
I finally received my last LOR and submitted the paperwork to get my school's letter packet completed, so I'm desperately reloading the AMCAS page to see if they have uploaded it or not. Then I go to Pitt's site and obviously they have not yet received it because AMCAS hasn't received it. But it's like taking the MCAT and checking just in case. Congrats to everyone with IIs!!! It's so exciting!!!

I submitted it a few days ago, and every other place I've submitted to has already sent me that "complete" email, except for Pitt.:shrug:

Secondary submitted! Here's hoping that Pitt'll show me some love!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! How long did it take for you to get a complete email?
Thanks! I never got a complete email, and I actually posted here a few times worried because my portal said "invited to complete supplemental app" until just after the invite today! So hang tight haha

Does anybody know when the PSTP application would be due? Should we be sending it in before our regular interview? I think the PSTP interview, if selected, is arranged at a later date.

Also they ask for two letters of recommendation describing your potential as a physician scientist. I'm assuming that these letters need to be new and different from the ones we applied to med school with?

Does anybody know when the PSTP application would be due? Should we be sending it in before our regular interview? I think the PSTP interview, if selected, is arranged at a later date.

Also they ask for two letters of recommendation describing your potential as a physician scientist. I'm assuming that these letters need to be new and different from the ones we applied to med school with?
I'm not sure about the letters (hopefully the two I have from PIs would suffice :)) but regarding the PSTP application, the website states:
"To be eligible to begin a PSTP application, applicants must first receive an interview invitation from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Admissions Committee."
University of Pittsburgh :: PSTP

Per the website, you are correct about the PSTP interview being arranged after the regular interview.

When I got an II last year, it was about 3 weeks after I turned in my secondary (turned in early July, before the 10th, I think). Really hoping to get one this year again (fingers crossed).

Got my II on 7/26. Is anyone else interviewing on August 29th?

Got an II earlier today! Secondary complete: 7/17. Stats: 524 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, rising senior. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
What has the secondary-to-II turn around time been looking like?

What has the secondary-to-II turn around time been looking like?

I'm getting the feeling that only people who got their secondaries in by June 6 have heard back so far. But don't quote me on that!

EDIT: Okay, it looks like someone got an II who was complete on 7/17, but I haven't seen anything more recent than that (and that applicant was pretty much next to perfect). Someone chime in if you have received an II and you were complete AFTER 7/17.

I'm getting the feeling that only people who got their secondaries in by June 6 have heard back so far. But don't quote me on that!

EDIT: Okay, it looks like someone got an II who was complete on 7/17, but I haven't seen anything more recent than that (and that applicant was pretty much next to perfect). Someone chime in if you have received an II and you were complete AFTER 7/17.
I received my II on July 31 and submitted my secondary July 9

PA resident, Lizzy M 77. Submitted 7/19, no II yet. So it seems like they are going in order of submission (or at least somewhat).

For anyone who has been looking at the PSTP program, thoughts on if it's worth applying with a lot of research experience (well, a lot for an undergrad ;)) but no publications? I'll probably give it a go, but the mandatory boxes for listing publications, abstracts, etc. are more than a bit intimidating :unsure:

For anyone who has been looking at the PSTP program, thoughts on if it's worth applying with a lot of research experience (well, a lot for an undergrad ;)) but no publications? I'll probably give it a go, but the mandatory boxes for listing publications, abstracts, etc. are more than a bit intimidating :unsure:

I plan on applying if I get an interview. It's difficult to get published in certain labs because the research you are doing may be long term or simply take a while to publish. Don't let that hold you back. I don't know the particulars of Pitt's program, but I imagine some programs want to see that you can think like a researcher. Let that shine through.

II today via e-mail at 3:15 pm!! beyond excited! I submitted my secondary on 7/18. scheduled my interview for September 29.

MCAT=517, GPA=3.73, conducting research since graduating in 2015

Reactions: 2 users
II today via e-mail at 3:15 pm!! beyond excited! I submitted my secondary on 7/18. scheduled my interview for September 29.

MCAT=517, GPA=3.73, conducting research since graduating in 2015
Congratulations! Did you receive an email after you submitted your secondary? I submitted it on 7/17 and didn't get any emails after the secondary.

Last edited:
PA resident, Lizzy M 77. Submitted 7/19, no II yet. So it seems like they are going in order of submission (or at least somewhat).

Update: received an II at 3:00 PM today. This was my first one, so super excited, especially because I completed my undergrad at Pitt!

Reactions: 3 users
On the application status page in the portal, this is what I see:
Invited to complete supplemental application.
Supplemental Application Submitted
Administrative Fee Paid
Letters of Recommendation Completed

Did any of you get an application complete email? Is this the status you're supposed to see if your application is complete?

Update: received an II at 3:00 PM today. This was my first one, so super excited, especially because I completed my undergrad at Pitt!

Congrats! Pitt is my alma mater too, hoping they show me some love.

Administrative Fee Paid

Did any of you get an application complete email? Is this the status you're supposed to see if your application is complete?

I did not receive a complete email. All I got was a payment invoice.

Administrative Fee Paid

I didn't get a completion email just an email saying I paid. My application portal said the same thing as yours until I got my interview this morning. It says 'invited to interview; currently not scheduled.'

Does anyone know when they send out admission decisions after the interview?

Does anyone know when they send out admission decisions after the interview?

Unless something has changed, no one finds out if they were accepted/waitlisted until January 31st. Pitt is known for waitlisting a lot of students and accepting very few that first day. In the past, there was a lot of waitlist movement. However, this past year, they either accepted a lot more people on the 31st or more people decided to hold onto their acceptance because there wasn't a ton of movement.