2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's need-based grant aid you're hoping for, don't fret. I received a VERY generous amount of need-based aid, far greater than the half need-based grant I was offered at another school.

Okay thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To current students: What's the general consensus on Darragh apartments? It's definitely pricey, but the location seems very convenient. Do people that live there think it's worth the price?

To current students: What's the general consensus on Darragh apartments? It's definitely pricey, but the location seems very convenient. Do people that live there think it's worth the price?
It really depends on what you're looking for. There are definite trade-offs. The location is very convenient for classes/rotations but you get a much smaller place for the money, There are few nearby grocery options (though they just opened a small market on Forbes) and nearby entertainment is geared more to the undergraduates. If you are the type that values being able to roll out of bed and walk a couple hundred yards to the school, then it is worth it. Being near the gym in Peterson is also nice. If you like a larger space, easy access to grocery stores, venues with a more mature crowd, or quiet coffee shops then it may not be worth it. One consideration is how often you plan on attending lectures. If you're planning on just watching the lecture online, then you may only be going to Scaife a few times a week. Some of my colleagues lived in one of the neighborhoods during the first couple years but then moved to Darragh for 3rd year for easy access to the hospital (though there are several rotations that are elsewhere). Another consideration is if you plan on having a car. Parking permit is $680 a year, I think. It seems most of my friends that lived in Darragh enjoyed it while they were there, but many of them moved out because they decided they wanted other things.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI for those admitted off the waitlist last week- I called the financial aid office to ask about when we will be hearing back about offers. They said that they are trying to process all newly admitted applicants by the end of the week!

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone share what a typical day as a first year student is like? (or point to where this was already shared) Thanks!

Just received my financial aid award letter! I was nervous because others seemed really unhappy with their offers, but overall theirs is on par with other schools. Pitt is still going to end up being my most expensive option for me though, lol. Time to start applying for some outside scholarships!!

Just some information for future applicants who are nervous about this like I was: My parent's income falls into the $75,000-$100,000 bracket and I was offered an ~$30,000 need-based scholarship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think I saw a flyer in Scaife about support animals visiting the library or something. Can anyone confirm this and perhaps give more details? I have not been able to find this online

Just withdrew from my other acceptance, I can't wait for Pitt! I look forward to meeting you all at second look next week or in August

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew from my other acceptance, I can't wait for Pitt! I look forward to meeting you all at second look next week or in August

Hello future classmate!! See you next week!

Last edited:
Those who got off waitlist, did you send any letters, etc.?

Also anyone think there will be any movement after April 30 since they already took people off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who got off waitlist, did you send any letters, etc.?

Also anyone think there will be any movement after April 30 since they already took people off the waitlist?

I sent a letter of interest/ update letter back in January before regular decisions came out. Didn't send anything after being waitlisted.

DONE WITH STEP 1!

Will now be a lot more attentive to sdn, lmk your questions, feel free to DM me, current MS2 :)

Reactions: 2 users
current students, what's the darragh housing sitch? Other housing tips?
Also wondering this! When should we start looking, especially if we want to live in Darragh?

Darragh is a bit hectic to get a room in. I'd suggest you call their office/e-mail them to find a spot. Start looking NOW cause Darragh fills up with lots of incoming students + current students that renewed their leases.

Darragh Street | OCL | University of Pittsburgh

The price is a bit high, but darragh is really close to Scaife, Presby, Monty, and Magee. I don't live there but my friends that do said the rent includes utilites, so don't worry about water/electric/internet. Each room has a washing machine+dryer, a/c unit, heating unit, private bathroom.

It won't let me DM you! Change your settings ;)
CHANGED! Now yinz can DM me!

btw, had a nice time meeting you guys at second look

Anyone have any WL movement recently?

Hi everyone, congrats to all accepted, and best of luck to everyone on the WL! I was wondering if any current students had insights on the Prologue to medicine program. Is it worth doing? I took a gap year so I'm not worried about "taking a break" this summer and want to know whether that time would be well spent in the program. Thanks!

@ect41 @docdr281 Great job, see you in August! There's nothing with Pitt to accept beyond the commit to enroll on AMCAS.

Fun thing happened today - they sent me my Pitt email/ student account!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when is the commit to enroll deadline for pitt?

Do any current students know if I sign a lease for a Darragh apartment now, but don't end up attending Pitt (small chance another school's WL offer comes through that might chance my plans), will I be responsible for the whole 12 months? Or will I simply lose the 1st/last months rent I pay up front to hold the place? Really want to close on this lease since Darragh is nearly full, but I want to have a fallback in the tiny chance I end up going somewhere other than Pitt. Thanks in advance!

@yinzburgh

Do any current students know if I sign a lease for a Darragh apartment now, but don't end up attending Pitt (small chance another school's WL offer comes through that might chance my plans), will I be responsible for the whole 12 months? Or will I simply lose the 1st/last months rent I pay up front to hold the place? Really want to close on this lease since Darragh is nearly full, but I want to have a fallback in the tiny chance I end up going somewhere other than Pitt. Thanks in advance!

@yinzburgh
If you sign a lease your agreeing to the terms of a year long contract. You can decide not to pay it, but will end up having to go through court or other things that aren’t worth it. It’s like that wherever you sign a lease, it’s a document of a 12 month commitment to pay x amount of dollars each month

@yinzburgh

I'm not sure about Darragh, but I know in other leases there are specific fees to break the lease, but you don't have to pay the full year's rent. Check the fine print on your lease or check directly with the school. (Edit- not a current student, just tryna help)

@yinzburgh
Call Kevin or Trish in the housing office to ask. Like the above poster said, the situation can be very dicey because darragh is an apartment...but also university property, so the rules/laws applying to it are in a gray area.

Does anyone expect any waitlist movement still or is the class full?

I'm hoping and hoping. Getting harder everyday, especially when you realize they didn't reject anyone straight out and don't have a ranked wait list. But it ain't over till it's over *shrug*

I plan to have a car, does Darragh include parking of some sort?
Darragh has a parking lot, its weird though. Its for 3rd and 4th years. 1st and 2nd years living in darragh park in another parking lot, about a 5-7 minute walk away. Its nicer though cause part of it is open, part of it is covered (garage...good for snowstorm parking!)

About 90/month

I'm hoping and hoping. Getting harder everyday, especially when you realize they didn't reject anyone straight out and don't have a ranked wait list. But it ain't over till it's over *shrug*
Letters of intent tend to go a long way here.

Don't be a douche and send them to multiple schools; you deserve multiple rejections if you do that...I say this to everyone, not trying to single you out.

Darragh has a parking lot, its weird though. Its for 3rd and 4th years. 1st and 2nd years living in darragh park in another parking lot, about a 5-7 minute walk away. Its nicer though cause part of it is open, part of it is covered (garage...good for snowstorm parking!)

About 90/month

Do I still have time to sign up for Darragh or does it fill up quickly? I'm trying to look around on rental websites for possibly living elsewhere as well.

Letters of intent tend to go a long way here.

Don't be a douche and send them to multiple schools; you deserve multiple rejections if you do that...I say this to everyone, not trying to single you out.
Already sent one :/ a long one. And yes to only this school

Do I still have time to sign up for Darragh or does it fill up quickly? I'm trying to look around on rental websites for possibly living elsewhere as well.
Call them ASAP.

Already sent one :/ a long one. And yes to only this school
Then its up to fate. Hopefully you have other acceptances so if you don't get into pitt you'll still be a doctor.

BTW, ask Gaara to swing by admissions, I've heard he's very persuasive.

Then its up to fate. Hopefully you have other acceptances so if you don't get into pitt you'll still be a doctor.

BTW, ask Gaara to swing by admissions, I've heard he's very persuasive.
Haha yes up to fate. Nice, though Idk how well sand stands up in Pittsburgh!

I plan to have a car, does Darragh include parking of some sort?

I currently live at Darragh. Parking is $1,000 for a 12 month pass for a spot in an off-site parking complex (about a 5 minute walk.) you’ll be put on a waitlist for the actual darragh parking lot (most usually get off the wait list their second year.) Parking in the Darragh lot is also $1,000 per year.

When you start you'll be given [email protected] and later on granted a hospital e-mail address

Current student. Starting MS1 You’ll have both an @pitt.edu and an @medstudent.pitt.edu domain that direct to the same inbox.
Third year you’ll get a separate @upmc.edu

Does anybody know about how many spots are left on the waitlist?
I had to fill out a google sheet with 149 names, which I guess are the commits. I'd venture about 10-15 slots left in the class; no idea how many people on the waitlist.

I had to fill out a google sheet with 149 names, which I guess are the commits. I'd venture about 10-15 slots left in the class; no idea how many people on the waitlist.

Their goal is around 140 if I remember correctly. Maybe they overfilled?