2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

3. Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application? (Optional – Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

MSTP:

Choose current graduate program of interest, choose 3 faculty from a given list, provide up to 2 additional faculty you could see yourself working with in graduate school, and then:

4. Briefly describe what appeals to you about the faculty member(s) in your selection, and how the selected graduate program and our MSTP match your interests.*

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current Dream School. Hoping for a superb cycle. Good-luck to all applicants this year!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying here! Their tuition scares me though lol

Reactions: 1 user
Top choice. Going MD only route. Good luck everyone with the cycle!

This was one of my first rejections this past cycle but hops it pans out better this time around!

Anybody else notice the huge skew in the GPA and MCAT data on the MSAR? The med cGPA is 3.86, 25th percentile is 3.73, but 10th percentile extends all the way down to 3.49. Similar trends exist for the sGPA and MCAT scores. I'm genuinely curious as to why this might be as I have seen similar trends for other schools as well, but in many of those cases the GPA skew can be explained by the high MCAT scores. Not really the case here when the same skew brings the 10th percentile MCAT to 507.

Based on the raw data, my chances of acceptance to this upper tier school look pretty good, but I'm wondering if there is some explanation for the data that would actually make this less of an attractive place to apply to.

What's the explanation for the skew?

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile

Anybody else notice the huge skew in the GPA and MCAT data on the MSAR? The med cGPA is 3.86, 25th percentile is 3.73, but 10th percentile extends all the way down to 3.49. Similar trends exist for the sGPA and MCAT scores. I'm genuinely curious as to why this might be as I have seen similar trends for other schools as well, but in many of those cases the GPA skew can be explained by the high MCAT scores. Not really the case here when the same skew brings the 10th percentile MCAT to 507.

Based on the raw data, my chances of acceptance to this upper tier school look pretty good, but I'm wondering if there is some explanation for the data that would actually make this less of an attractive place to apply to.

It can also be because of people who have a lower overall GPA but may have an upward trend or ECs that can make schools be more forgiving when it comes to metrics.

It is well known that Pitt rewards students who have reinvented themselves after previous struggles. I would take the lower numbers with a grain of salt. Also their stats have been going up over the last few years. Don't think there is any reason not to apply if you feel your stats are competitive though! Best of luck this cycle

Pitt also shows regional bias. They may be private but they love western PA applicants. I got accepted with a 509.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt actually lives the holistic life and that’s why I love them. They take your background and life experiences into account

One of my top choices... Good luck everyone!

Rising M2, happy to answer questions!
What wold you say is "average" research experience? I dont have the stats to be super competitive for them (3.6/511) and worked full time as a research assistant all last year and have an abstract at an international conference. I know pitt is really focused on research and academic medicine and I know for some school my research experience will be "above avg" but I know Pitt has a lot of people who have masters/doctorates already.

What wold you say is "average" research experience? I dont have the stats to be super competitive for them (3.6/511) and worked full time as a research assistant all last year and have an abstract at an international conference. I know pitt is really focused on research and academic medicine and I know for some school my research experience will be "above avg" but I know Pitt has a lot of people who have masters/doctorates already.

I can't really quantify what would be an "average" amount. More than 90% of the class comes in with *some* kind of research experience each year. I think it's more about articulating the work you did and showing that you were passionate about whatever it was that you worked on. If it led to a abstract or manuscript, it looks even better.

One of my top choices & a definite reach! Good luck everybody :)

Also a rising MS2 and willing to answer questions. Good luck guys!

That sux hopefully nothing against NYC metro area apps.
Deff not. I’m from NY and I’m matriculating there this August and I know at least 3 other people from NY who got accepted this cycle

I know personally one from upstate NY but I live in NJ.
I wouldn’t worry. Just express enthusiasm for pitt in your interview and realistic reasons on why your a good fit for the school and the city. They want to accept people who will enjoy Pittsburgh. I used the fact that I’m a huge sports fan and pitt is one of the greatest sports cities in the world. Best of luck!

One of my top and reach schools! Good luck everyone!:)

Last edited:
Quick question about Pitt's diversity prompt: the prompt from last year (and years prior) specifically states that "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application." Does this mean that we should not discuss any experiences that were talked about in the primary or activities section?

For example: my diversity essay is focused on my passion for film critique and analysis. Without getting into specifics, I tie in how I helped run a nonprofit and the unique skills/passions I gained from that (albeit this is not the essay's central point). Since I talked about this nonprofit experience in my primary (although not mentioning these specific things perse), should I omit this from my essay for Pitt?

Advice from admitted students or my fellow applicants would be awesome :)

Quick question about Pitt's diversity prompt: the prompt from last year (and years prior) specifically states that "The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application." Does this mean that we should not discuss any experiences that were talked about in the primary or activities section?

For example: my diversity essay is focused on my passion for film critique and analysis. Without getting into specifics, I tie in how I helped run a nonprofit and the unique skills/passions I gained from that (albeit this is not the essay's central point). Since I talked about this nonprofit experience in my primary (although not mentioning these specific things perse), should I omit this from my essay for Pitt?

Advice from admitted students or my fellow applicants would be awesome :)
I think what they're asking is "don't say you bring diversity as a film lover" if we already know you're a film lover. If you focus on how as a film lover you bring diversity, it's fair game. As long as you didn't check "most meaningful" and discuss those same traits in the primary, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, if it isn't the central point of the essay and is just a supporting statement, it should not matter at all.

Rising M2, happy to answer questions!

What is your favorite thing about UPSOM? And how would you classify the overall atmosphere/environment? If you were choosing between schools, what sold you on Pitt?

Thank you!

Also a rising MS2 and willing to answer questions. Good luck guys!

What is your favorite thing about UPSOM? And how would you classify the overall atmosphere/environment? If you were choosing between schools, what sold you on Pitt?

Thank you!

Thank you!

My favorite thing about UPSOM is honestly how amazing all of their programs are. I thought for sure I wanted Peds, but am leaning more towards OB/Gyn now and regardless of what I decide on, I know Pitt has the resources to give me a top notch experience in that field. As long as I put in the work, they will provide me with every resource necessary. Having the name beind me and the resources they provide makes me feel that the world is my oyster. I know you can feel that anywhere, but I just felt it the most here. I also like that though I must do research (not my forte honestly), I can research ANYTHING that interests me. It doesn't have to be bench. My research focuses on policy. And Pitt does try to build a diverse class.
Overall atmosphere is pretty chill. My class gets along really well and we provide each other with so many resources you can't realistically use them all. We all want each other to succeed. I also love the pass/fail and I personally enjoy taking one core science at a time.
I was choosing between Pitt and other schools and honestly, I love the city (always something to do, but not so much where I feel I'm missing out if I don't drop a bunch of money to go out every weekend), it has the prestige of a top tier school but without the haughtiness that can come with it at times, and they offer need-based aid. Kind of sold me. I also jelled more with the people I met at second look.
Might not be what everyone looks for or how everyone feels, but it's part of why I'm here.

Secondary received!

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

3. Is there anything additional that you would like to address that is not already reflected in your application? (Optional – Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

@Lucca

For MSTP, we also have to indicate a desired PhD field and choose 3 research faculty we may like to work with. We also have to list everything from our CV.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! So glad the secondary didn't change!

Anyone else having problems with all courses being listed as an online course in the course requirement tab?

Anyone else having problems with all courses being listed as an online course in the course requirement tab?
I haven't made it that far, but I am having some trouble entering selections in the "interests" tab.

Yes I just called and they said they are aware of the issue and they will call me back when it is resolved. I will update you guys when I receive the call. Until then DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Same here!!! So we shouldn't submit it???

Anyone doing a why our school essay for the optional prompt?

Yes I just called and they said they are aware of the issue and they will call me back when it is resolved. I will update you guys when I receive the call. Until then DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY.

Pitt just called me back and said that it's ok to submit now. Apparently even if the boxes are still checked on your end they are not checked when your app gets to Pitt if you didn't check them. Submit in peace.

Pitt just called me back and said that it's ok to submit now. Apparently even if the boxes are still checked on your end they are not checked when your app gets to Pitt if you didn't check them. Submit in peace.

Lol that makes me uneasy o_O

Is anyone having problems where you enter your social security number and it doesn't save? But everything else saves?