2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm super mad at myself for having UNECOM on my list back in June, taking it off for some weird reason, changing my mind, and having to submit the secondary on September 1. >:/
Not with UNECOM, but I definitely have done that with a school! Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

The suspense of waiting 4 weeks for a decision is killing me! Not like I'm counting down the days or anything...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the US news and world report, they interviewed 657 last year and accepted 400. Hope this helps!

Wow, that's a pretty good ratio. Thanks for this info! Do you have a link so I can check other schools?

When did you submit your secondary?

Late. They actually lost my initial secondary somehow and I had to resubmit one (minus the $$ the second time). I believe it was in mid to late November and I was offered an interview a short time later. It was surprising to me since it was last in the cycle for secondaries to be submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Same. accepted. And I interviewed Sept 6th

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!! First one! This is surreal, I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Interviewed 9/7 afternoon.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. I'm still in shock. I just can't even.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anywhere we can check our status?

Any tips for the interview?!? Any hard questions?
I was asked about the last meaningful book I read and why it was meaningful. Kinda had to think about that one.

Accepted on 9/28. Woohoo! Feel free to ask me about the interview/anything else.

Last edited:
I'm interviewing here November 7th. I'm planning to fly into Portland the day of and leave the same day. Is this doable? 10:10am arrival, 5:30 departure. Will I be missing out on activities after the interview?

I'm interviewing here November 7th. I'm planning to fly into Portland the day of and leave the same day. Is this doable? 10:10am arrival, 5:30 departure. Will I be missing out on activities after the interview?
Please tell me you interview in the afternoon.

Although it's not far from the airport, I would just be worried that something could happen wth flight delays or cancellations or traffic or something. There aren't other activities you would be missing out on, but I would hate for you to be late/miss the interview due to travel issues or make the interview but be flustered because something happened.

I went on several interviews last year and will tell you that the one I traveled 3 hours to the morning of was easily my worst. Everyone after that I arrived the night before, got settled and made sure everything was in order. Made the follow Big day to much smoother.

Hey all! First year here. Keep forgetting to check this thread, but again, if y'all have any questions about the school and how it is going so far, just shoot me a message (I'll try to be better about checking in). Also, I'm a non-traditional student so if you are in the same boat and have some more questions about that, just let me know!

Oh, and for your interviews! My best advice is relax, be yourself, and have fun with it! I've seen some interview groups where I try to wish people good luck and everyone just looks so anxious! I know it is hard to relax in that situation, but be happy and excited! You were invited to interview because you are obviously awesome, so just show them your greatness! Although there is a lot of diversity in my class, there is one thing that seems to be pretty common to all of us - we are friendly, easy going (not many gunners really), and are always willing to help each other. Show them that you are someone who will fit into our little community :)

Accepted!! Interviewed 9/21!

Just got an II today!!! This is definitely one of my top choices and I couldn't be more excited!!!! Traveling from west coast so if anyone has any tips on what airports and hotels are the closest options for me please let me know. I appreciate any advice as it is a month away so I need to plan quickly.

I travelled from west coast too, United will probably be your best bet for airlines. You’ll have t fly into Portland. Personally I stayed at Ramada Saco. You can get a decent nights sleep there.

Awesome thank you for letting me know. How long is the interview day? My e-mail said arrive at 7:45 am. Just curious if I will be able to fly back home the same day.

Awesome thank you for letting me know. How long is the interview day? My e-mail said arrive at 7:45 am. Just curious if I will be able to fly back home the same day.
Ah, you're in the morning group. I was one of the first to interview and was free to go around 10 AM.

Just got an II today!!! This is definitely one of my top choices and I couldn't be more excited!!!! Traveling from west coast so if anyone has any tips on what airports and hotels are the closest options for me please let me know. I appreciate any advice as it is a month away so I need to plan quickly.
Congrats! I flew into Portland, but I know a few people from my interview day that flew into Boston and rented a car to get to Biddeford. Also, I recommend looking into AirBnb for lodging, they tend to be cheaper and there are definitely more of them compared to the number of hotels.

Technically they interview day goes from 8-noonish, but it really depends on which interview slot you get. You would only be there until noon if you have the last interview at 11:30.

Accepted! Interviewed 9/20 and they told me 3-4 weeks but got back super fast! Loved the school and looking forward to it.

Accepted! Interviewed 9/20 and they told me 3-4 weeks but got back super fast! Loved the school and looking forward to it.
Wow that turnaround is pretty much unheard of

Technically they interview day goes from 8-noonish, but it really depends on which interview slot you get. You would only be there until noon if you have the last interview at 11:30.

Oh okay I see. So is it basically just the interview and you're done or are there any presentations or tours? Did you enjoy the day?

Wow that is incredible!! I just got an interview today, any advice other than the simple be yourself?

Congrats! When did you complete your secondaries?

Got my first acceptance here yesterday!!!

Wow that is incredible!! I just got an interview today, any advice other than the simple be yourself?

Yea like everyone has been saying the interview is really relaxed and easy so just try to show your personality as well as some passion when you answer and you’ll be good. Good luck!

Complete 9/12, interview 9/18!!

I'm a west coaster (first year student) so I would recommend doing a price comparison to both Boston and Portland. Also in that cost comparison factor in car rental because I believe they're more expensive out of Boston than Portland. I find the easiest way to price compare is look at travelocity and then write down the flight numbers you want and book directly through the airlines. I've gotten some pretty cheap flights that way. I also second the recommendation to look at AirBnb as places to stay. They tend to be cheaper and closer to the school than any of the hotels. It also gives you an opportunity to get a small glimpse of life in Biddeford and a chance to meet some local community members who might have some insight into living in the area that students can't give you! Let me know if you have any questions about travel or moving to New England from the west coast because I've got answers :)

I'm a west coaster (first year student) so I would recommend doing a price comparison to both Boston and Portland. Also in that cost comparison factor in car rental because I believe they're more expensive out of Boston than Portland. I find the easiest way to price compare is look at travelocity and then write down the flight numbers you want and book directly through the airlines. I've gotten some pretty cheap flights that way. I also second the recommendation to look at AirBnb as places to stay. They tend to be cheaper and closer to the school than any of the hotels. It also gives you an opportunity to get a small glimpse of life in Biddeford and a chance to meet some local community members who might have some insight into living in the area that students can't give you! Let me know if you have any questions about travel or moving to New England from the west coast because I've got answers :)

This is all wonderful!! Thank you for the thorough response. Hopefully I will be messaging you in the near future about moving to New England that would be incredible.

This is all wonderful!! Thank you for the thorough response. Hopefully I will be messaging you in the near future about moving to New England that would be incredible.
Hi! Native New Englander and accepted UNE student here. The least expensive and most convenient way to get to Maine would be to fly to Boston and then take the Amtrak Downeaster train to Saco, ME, which is a 10 minute drive from UNE. There should be hotels nearby also.

Good luck!

Hey guys, for those of you who have been accepted/received II's, how long did it take for them to contact you guys for the II? I submitted on 9/8 and I've been complete since 9/11. :/

Hi all,

UNECOM OMS-1 here joining the conversation. Happy to answer questions here and in PM. Also a commuter from Portland in case you wanna know about Biddeford/Saco living alternatives.

Balance your stress and try to enjoy your interviews/visits to schools. Super important to find the best fit for you, even if it isn't UNECOM.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on campus!

Hey guys, for those of you who have been accepted/received II's, how long did it take for them to contact you guys for the II? I submitted on 9/8 and I've been complete since 9/11. :/
Same. Ive been complete since 9/1 with very competitive stats- 6 interviews so far and 1 acceptance- and haven't heard anything.

Hi all,

UNECOM OMS-1 here joining the conversation. Happy to answer questions here and in PM. Also a commuter from Portland in case you wanna know about Biddeford/Saco living alternatives.

Balance your stress and try to enjoy your interviews/visits to schools. Super important to find the best fit for you, even if it isn't UNECOM.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on campus!
The website says term begins July 31. Is that when classes start?