2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

UNECOM OMS-1 here joining the conversation. Happy to answer questions here and in PM. Also a commuter from Portland in case you wanna know about Biddeford/Saco living alternatives.

Balance your stress and try to enjoy your interviews/visits to schools. Super important to find the best fit for you, even if it isn't UNECOM.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on campus!

What would you consider your favorite and least favorite aspect about your education at UNECOM? You can PM me too if you feel more comfortable. It is a question I've been asking most students at my interviews and I've gotten really good feedback from it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take for you guys/gals to hear back after submission and being completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had the infamous:

Your application does not meet our minimum requirements based on:

Coursework not meeting UNE COM requirements

And it was a mistake or something? I know for sure I meet every requirement and no school has given me any issues.. I emailed Adcom but still a little worried...

Does UNE do silent rejections? I've been complete since 8/15. Should I shoot them an email asking for an update?

Does UNE do silent rejections? I've been complete since 8/15. Should I shoot them an email asking for an update?

I checked my old emails (I actually got rejected from here on my first go-around due to some issues with my undergraduate university and them not turning in LORs) but I do have an email from May saying that they were not going to grant me an interview. I wouldn't stress about things yet, the office has a lot of applications to sort through and I think they reserve rejections until the end of the cycle because they don't want to take away from the potential that they may want to interview you later in the cycle.

So you should hear from them if they choose not to interview you, it just may not be until May. But don't give up hope on it yet!

Did anyone get an email about directions and a parking pass for UNECOM? I got an email confirming my interview date, but didn't get all the other information about directions.

Did anyone get an email about directions and a parking pass for UNECOM? I got an email confirming my interview date, but didn't get all the other information about directions.
You should receive one a couple of days after your interview confirmation in a separate email. If not, contact admissions, they'll be happy to help.

Interviewing here on 10/19! Excited to see Maine and the Atlantic Ocean :)

Members don't see this ad :)
9/26 so I heard back in 2.5 weeks!

Applied last week and got an interview today! So incredibly excited - I'm super stoked and I think this is my top choice. My interview isn't until mid november though - does anyone know if they've already filled their class or how that's looking?

Applied last week and got an interview today! So incredibly excited - I'm super stoked and I think this is my top choice. My interview isn't until mid november though - does anyone know if they've already filled their class or how that's looking?
Last year I interviewed Nov. 8 and the class was already full at that point, everyone was either rejected or put on the wait-list. Having said that, they do take a LOT of people off the waitlist.

Last year I interviewed Nov. 8 and the class was already full at that point, everyone was either rejected or put on the wait-list. Having said that, they do take a LOT of people off the waitlist.
Ah this is pretty nerve wracking as someone still waiting for an II :( I didn't realize they fill so fast.

Ah this is pretty nerve wracking as someone still waiting for an II :( I didn't realize they fill so fast.

If memory serves it was the same trend for the year before that as well :/

The website says term begins July 31. Is that when classes start?

Updating my statement on when classes start, yesterday it was announced that the start of the Fall 2018 semester will be on July 2nd, with orientation on June 28 and 29 (pre-orientation rafting trip probably earlier in the week).

Link (for some reason I can't post links): Google UNECOM 2019 calendar -> 2018/2019 Academic Calendars - University of New England link -> Graduate/Professional: Osteopathic Medicine

Yes, this is a significantly earlier start date than a lot of other schools.

Some of reasons for the much earlier start is to give more time to 2nd years to finish their boards and potentially start clinical rounds earlier/do more rounds, and allow professors to have more time to teach the material, which apparently has been an increasingly frustrating problem over the past years. It'll hopefully give more time for 1st years to study and more opportunities for clinical-related activities as well.

Updating my statement on when classes start, yesterday it was announced that the start of the Fall 2018 semester will be on July 2nd, with orientation on June 28 and 29 (pre-orientation rafting trip probably earlier in the week).

Link (for some reason I can't post links): Google UNECOM 2019 calendar -> 2018/2019 Academic Calendars - University of New England link -> Graduate/Professional: Osteopathic Medicine

Yes, this is a significantly earlier start date than a lot of other schools.

Some of reasons for the much earlier start is to give more time to 2nd years to finish their boards and potentially start clinical rounds earlier/do more rounds, and allow professors to have more time to teach the material, which apparently has been an increasingly frustrating problem over the past years. It'll hopefully give more time for 1st years to study and more opportunities for clinical-related activities as well.
Damn. Doesn’t give me much of a break

You are right, but this also means that we will get done a month or so earlier.
Exactly! You may not get much of a summer this year...but you'll be done in early April next year. And I will say this too...while you will do a decent amount of work your first few weeks I also got out and did a lot of hiking and exploring of the area with classmates at that point so it almost felt like more of a summer than my actual "summer" had.

Just got my first acceptance! Looking forward to seeing y'all next year!

Last edited:
Exactly! You may not get much of a summer this year...but you'll be done in early April next year. And I will say this too...while you will do a decent amount of work your first few weeks I also got out and did a lot of hiking and exploring of the area with classmates at that point so it almost felt like more of a summer than my actual "summer" had.
Ah, well as long as we end earlier I guess it works out.

Ah yea I did the same. It was definitely great to start off pretty light. Now with block week looming, everyone seems to be on edge.

Accepted today! I've stalked the previous threads and am still confused on the current curriculum for incoming first years (Class of 2022). Are both 1st and 2nd year classes mainly optional now? I am very concerned about this, because I want to make sure there is enough time to study for Step1 and Comlex.

I think from my interview day, the student said that some profs purposely do not make recordings available. I also read that there was trouble 3rd/4th year with setting up rotation sites? Can any current students elaborate? Thanks so much.

Trying to decide if I should go to UNE COM interview after getting accepted into Touro-Middletown. Really not a big difference in tuition but Touro is definitely closer to home...

Accepted today! I've stalked the previous threads and am still confused on the current curriculum for incoming first years (Class of 2022). Are both 1st and 2nd year classes mainly optional now? I am very concerned about this, because I want to make sure there is enough time to study for Step1 and Comlex.

I think from my interview day, the student said that some profs purposely do not make recordings available. I also read that there was trouble 3rd/4th year with setting up rotation sites? Can any current students elaborate? Thanks so much.

Currently, most 1st year lectures are
Optional with a few that are mandatory. We get all of the lecture videos. Most of the 2nd year lectures are also optional, yet they do not have access to the video recordings, mainly because of guest lecturers that come in and intellectual property concerns. However, they have allowed the 2nd years to record the lectures with an audio device and they have also set up a note taking service. Though things may change, for the most part you will have the opportunity to learn the way that works best for you.

3rd and 4th year rotations are not a problem as we have a pretty strong system in place for selecting clinical sites for 3rd year. The sites actually were here last week to talk to the 2nd year students about their sites. 4th year is mainly for audition rotations which you set up where you want.

Trying to decide if I should go to UNE COM interview after getting accepted into Touro-Middletown. Really not a big difference in tuition but Touro is definitely closer to home...
You should go on the interview. They blew me away.. couldn't hurt!

Seriously..... read a couple threads concerning Touro. I would definitely attend UNE's interviews

Touro is a joke. Go UNE.

What impressed you?
The people, everyone was so nice, all the current medical students stop by and talk to you as they are just walking by. The administration was very helpful and just wanted to make sure you were comfortable and having a good time. The interview day itself was laid out very well compared to other schools I interviewed at. They also paid for whatever we wanted at the cafe in the lobby which was nice lol. The area is beautiful and so are the facilities at the school- it's literally on the water and I was watching the sailboats go by from campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously..... read a couple threads concerning Touro. I would definitely attend UNE's interviews
As someone who went to Touro-Middletown's interview day and spoke to current students, I would disagree with the condemnation of Touro. Anyways, I'll probably still go to the UNE interview.

As someone who went to Touro-Middletown's interview day and spoke to current students, I would disagree with the condemnation of Touro. Anyways, I'll probably still go to the UNE interview.
When people bash Touro, it's almost always regarding the Harlem campus. I, too, found Middletown to be a great school.

Still radio silence since my application was accepted. Would submitting additional LoRs from fellows and a UNE alumni physician I've been shadowing be helpful? Or is it too late?

PS My application was complete July 24th. Do they do silent rejections?

Last edited:
So... I know that most people haven't committed yet, but do we have a facebook group for class of 2022? If not, when will it be set up?