2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! How's the student environment at the school? Fairly laid back/friendly, or more competitive? What do students typically like to do for fun in Biddeford?

So far the environment is pretty great! Everyone I have met is super laid back. I think there may be a couple gunners, but that's to be expected when there is a class of 180 people. The curriculum really fosters a non competitive atmosphere.

I've only been here a couple weeks and I've already grilled out on the beach with a couple people and travelled up to Portland. I imagine we will find more stuff to do but that's what I've done so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else interviewing the 12th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those with interviews! Could you all share your stats if you don't mind?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to those with interviews! Could you all share your stats if you don't mind?

503-505 MCAT, 3.2sGPA/3.3cgpa, re-applicant and previously waitlisted, non-trad from New England (or at least I've lived here for 7 years now)

Reactions: 1 user

508 MCAT, 3.4sGPA/3.4cGPA, re-applicant, non-trad from Wisconsin, completed a SMP last year! Interviewing 9/14!!

Last edited:
So far the environment is pretty great! Everyone I have met is super laid back. I think there may be a couple gunners, but that's to be expected when there is a class of 180 people. The curriculum really fosters a non competitive atmosphere.

I've only been here a couple weeks and I've already grilled out on the beach with a couple people and travelled up to Portland. I imagine we will find more stuff to do but that's what I've done so far.

Do they use any sort of lecture capture technology?

I'm going to the conference in Boston on the 19th. Anyone have tips? I'm scheduled to shadow a DO from this school the week after, worth mentioning? Also, what should I wear? I submitted my secondary application for them on 7/24, haven't gotten an II yet, trying to remain positive! 3.2 GPA, 509 MCAT.

Do they use any sort of lecture capture technology?

Yep they do. They use a program called Panopto. Most lectures are recorded, but they did tell us that some professors don't want to be recorded so they won't be. But that hasn't happened yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 choice for Osteopathic Medicine.

Show me the luvvvv

Just received invite to pay supplemental as Canadian (had to send a WES equivalency thing which took over 2 weeks)

OOS.
App complete 7/26, II received 8/14, scheduled for 9/20.

II scheduled for 9/6!! :)
cGPA: 3.20
sGPA: 3.40
MCAT: 510
And from MA.

which MD schools did you interview at? Why do you think you got rejected from 3 and waitlisted at 1? Just curious. PM me if you dont want everyone to know

which MD schools did you interview at? Why do you think you got rejected from 3 and waitlisted at 1? Just curious. PM me if you dont want everyone to know
I interviewed at University of Tennessee, East Tennessee State, Indiana and Virginia Tech. This past cycle I was a reapplicant. The first 2 are my state schools. I really think it came down to my undergrad GPA. I got into all of the DO programs I applied to so I really don't think it had anything to do with my interviewing.

IU is a huge public school that doesn't take a whole lot of OOS. And Virginia Tech has a class size of only 42 people. So I think that is probably the reasoning.

To make it clear though, UNE was one of my top choices of all of them this cycle!

I interviewed at University of Tennessee, East Tennessee State, Indiana and Virginia Tech. This past cycle I was a reapplicant. The first 2 are my state schools. I really think it came down to my undergrad GPA. I got into all of the DO programs I applied to so I really don't think it had anything to do with my interviewing.

IU is a huge public school that doesn't take a whole lot of OOS. And Virginia Tech has a class size of only 42 people. So I think that is probably the reasoning.

To make it clear though, UNE was one of my top choices of all of them this cycle!

Okay, I was just wondering. UNE was your top even above the MDs? How come? Can you please elaborate on that because the general consensus for most people is to shoot for MD over DO for various reasons (not to undersell DO because I personally don't have a preference and open to both)

Also, how was UNECOM different and appealing to you? Do they stress the DO philosophy in the interview or is it more just why UNECOM and why doctor type questions? I vaguely know about the history behind DO. I've shadowed DOs and learned a lot from them but don't really think OMM would be for my taste.

II just in. Too bad UNE only give you one date for interview. Does anyone know if it is possible to move their choice of date without having to delay the interview for over a week? Mine is on a Tuesday and I was really hoping it could be Friday...

II just in. Too bad UNE only give you one date for interview. Does anyone know if it is possible to move their choice of date without having to delay the interview for over a week? Mine is on a Tuesday and I was really hoping it could be Friday...
Congrats! I am not sure if they allow rescheduling, but you can always call or email them and ask. The admissions staff is great to work with! I also think I remember that they told us they will be interviewing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this year.

Okay, I was just wondering. UNE was your top even above the MDs? How come? Can you please elaborate on that because the general consensus for most people is to shoot for MD over DO for various reasons (not to undersell DO because I personally don't have a preference and open to both)

Also, how was UNECOM different and appealing to you? Do they stress the DO philosophy in the interview or is it more just why UNECOM and why doctor type questions? I vaguely know about the history behind DO. I've shadowed DOs and learned a lot from them but don't really think OMM would be for my taste.
I made my list based on where I would most like to be and applied according to that, regardless of MD or DO. I think that a lot of people take the approach you mentioned but that was not mine. I have family up here and love New England so I was excited about UNE because of that.

The interviews are not meant to trick you or make you stressed. I don't remember them stressing the DO philosophy in my interview, but they did ask about why I wanted to be a DO and come to UNE particularly. That being said, the mission of the school is to train physicians for all of New England. Keep that in mind as you go through the process.

Congrats! I am not sure if they allow rescheduling, but you can always call or email them and ask. The admissions staff is great to work with! I also think I remember that they told us they will be interviewing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this year.
Thanks for the advice. I need to TA on Monday night, so it is harder for me to rearrange my schedule for a Tuesday interview compared to the other days where I can just skip classes. lol I will see what I can do. Do you have any advice on which hotel I should choose for the night? UNE gave me some choices but they all seem so far away from campus and do not have any special transportation going to campus.

Thanks for the advice. I need to TA on Monday night, so it is harder for me to rearrange my schedule for a Tuesday interview compared to the other days where I can just skip classes. lol I will see what I can do. Do you have any advice on which hotel I should choose for the night? UNE gave me some choices but they all seem so far away from campus and do not have any special transportation going to campus.
Ah I gotcha. As I said, reach out to them and see what they say. As far as a hotel goes, I can't give too much advice as I stayed with my grandparents when I came to mine. I would definitely check out AirBnb as they tend to be cheaper than a hotel.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the travel guide provided is up to date? Considering flying into portland and staying at the ramada if the shuttles are still provided.

Actually I called and they don't provide shuttles anymore. That needs to be updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will rent a 15 passenger van and get everyone where they need to go if you can get me added to the interview day. I (foolishly?) thought I fit the mission very well and would get an early interview. However, it appears my mom lied to me when she told me I was special, so here I am.

Reactions: 3 users
I will rent a 15 passenger van and get everyone where they need to go if you can get me added to the interview day. I (foolishly?) thought I fit the mission very well and would get an early interview. However, it appears my mom lied to me when she told me I was special, so here I am.

Stats/app date?

Stats/app date?
above median. grew up in new england, until I left for military service. invited to pay secondary fee, then complete July 24th-ish. Have II's at other MD and DO schools, but I've been to biddeford a bunch and honestly want to live there over almost anywhere else. But the Monkey-Playing-Whack-A-Mole clearly has different plans.

above median. grew up in new england, until I left for military service. invited to pay secondary fee, then complete July 24th-ish. Have II's at other MD and DO schools, but I've been to biddeford a bunch and honestly want to live there over almost anywhere else. But the Monkey-Playing-Whack-A-Mole clearly has different plans.

Weird, but you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why.

Is it too late to apply here?

I don't know why I didn't apply here earlier but I love Portland/New England! I already have 4 II- my stats are competitive. Should I do it?

Last edited:

I don't know why I didn't apply here earlier but I love Portland/New England! I already have 4 II- my stats are competitive. Should I do it?

Last cycle spots were full by beginning of November, it was all waitlist after that. Unlikely you'd get an interview before then. Just being honest.

First year student here - I don't think its too late. Something actually happened where they lost my secondary last year so I resubmitted it around December and had an interview for March. Yes, it was interviewing for the waitlist but here I am!

You never know what's going to happen. I almost didn't want to even come for my interview because I had other options that I liked, but I came and fell in love. You never know, so if you're interested apply.

Submitted! Hopefully I get an invite to pay secondary fee :) The question about how many schools we applied to was a little strange. I applied to A LOT of schools, but almost the same amount of MD/DO. Hopefully this doesn't play much a factor, this school seems amazing. Good luck everyone :)

II (October 11), 503 MCAT (128 / 123 / 128 / 124)
Application finished (supplementary finished): 8/28/17
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.08
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences GPA: 3.76 (21/30 credits completed)
Shadowed a doctor who went to this school (I'm from NJ)
+250 hours of community service
+100 hours of shadowing
+200 volunteer / research hours hospital
executive board for two different organizations (community service orgs / leadership)
clinical internship (225 hours) - school credit
medical brigade
case report w/ patient
mandatory research with grad school
worked all 4 years of college (tutor 1st year, student center next 3 years)
work now in health/physician quality of care transformation company
What's it look like for me? Should've done better on my MCAT, on practice exams I was averaging 506-507.. feel like **** looking at everyone's MCAT scores.

Thanks!

Also: New to this forum, is there a place / link someone posts interview questions?

Last edited:
I've been complete since 7/24 and haven't heard anything since then. Should I email and ask for an update or is that frowned upon?

I've been complete since 7/24 and haven't heard anything since then. Should I email and ask for an update or is that frowned upon?
Same here. I feel spurned. Am I not pretty enough? Did I not make it clear that I subsist on a diet of maple syrup and fall foliage? I already have a cottage picked out next to campus!

Reactions: 2 users
Same here. I feel spurned. Am I not pretty enough? Did I not make it clear that I subsist on a diet of maple syrup and fall foliage? I already have a cottage picked out next to campus!

Alas, we may not be meant for a strict diet change to lobster and hot tea. Our wonderful, pretty faces are not appreciated. #makeunecomloveus