2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alas, we may not be meant for a strict diet change to lobster and hot tea. Our wonderful, pretty faces are not appreciated. #makeunecomloveus
I'm gonna drive over there with a Boombox and stand outside the admissions office like on Say Anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna drive over there with a Boombox and stand outside the admissions office like on Say Anything.

If you can play a guitar or something I'll bring my trumpet and we can serenade the admissions committee.

If you can play a guitar or something I'll bring my trumpet and we can serenade the admissions committee.

If y'all can make this happen in the next week, first years have our Anatomy practical Monday and would love a little break from thinking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II a couple days ago! Super excited for this one.

I wish there was an interview exchange program. Like in Settlers of Catan I could trade 3 ore for a sheep if I needed it real bad. In this case I have 3 DO and 1 MD interview I'd trade for a UNE II.

Reactions: 2 users
Does it mean a rejection if you get an email that states:
"Thank you for your interest in the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). The Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions has received your AACOMAS application and completed a preliminary review.

Your application is being held for additional review at a later date. At this time you will not receive an invitation to submit a supplemental application payment. As we progress through the cycle you may receive notice of a change in status based on the number and quality of applicants we in our applicant pool. Any status change notifications will be sent to the email provided on your AACOMAS application."

Thank you for any feedback?

"Thank you for your interest in the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). The Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions has received your AACOMAS application and completed a preliminary review.

Your application is being held for additional review at a later date. At this time you will not receive an invitation to submit a supplemental application payment. As we progress through the cycle you may receive notice of a change in status based on the number and quality of applicants we in our applicant pool. Any status change notifications will be sent to the email provided on your AACOMAS application."

Sounds like it.. if they liked it they would've asked you to submit it ASAP.

EDIT: I am sure they will reach out to you if they feel they need someone, so it's not a rejection, it's a waitlist for secondaries basically.

I only know settlers of catan from parks and rec lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it is fair to call this an outright rejection...That being said, I definitely wouldn't say its a good thing that you weren't invited to complete a secondary based off of your primary. It is definitely possible you will get one at a later date in the cycle, but depending on your stats and app I don't know that my hopes would be that high. Only you can answer that though. Fingers crossed for you :)

Does anyone know how many people get interviews and how many get accepted? Post II acceptance rate?

Does anyone know how many people get interviews and how many get accepted? Post II acceptance rate?

Well, last year the class was full by the time of Nov 8 interviews, starting then it was all waitlist.
Not exactly an answer but hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, last year the class was full by the time of Nov 8 interviews, starting then it was all waitlist.
Not exactly an answer but hope it helps.

The year before, waitlist started with the December 1 interviews. Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon! So excited!! Waitlisted off the infamous Dec 1 interviews two years ago. UNE is my top DO choice (and would be first overall except for my state school)!

Reactions: 1 users
First year student here - I don't think its too late. Something actually happened where they lost my secondary last year so I resubmitted it around December and had an interview for March. Yes, it was interviewing for the waitlist but here I am!

You never know what's going to happen. I almost didn't want to even come for my interview because I had other options that I liked, but I came and fell in love. You never know, so if you're interested apply.
Yep, I didn't care what that previous person said. I applied anyway.

Submitted! Hopefully I get an invite to pay secondary fee :) The question about how many schools we applied to was a little strange. I applied to A LOT of schools, but almost the same amount of MD/DO. Hopefully this doesn't play much a factor, this school seems amazing. Good luck everyone :)
They invited me to pay the secondary fee the same day.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what kind of interview questions are asked at this school? Please let me know, my first interview, extremely nervous.

Is anyone going from the Portland Maine airport to Biddeford? Is there no shuttle service to get to Biddeford from Portland? Taking an Uber looks really expensive since the airport is so far

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know what kind of interview questions are asked at this school? Please let me know, my first interview, extremely nervous.

It is the most laid back interview you will ever have....It's conversational with 2-3 people (2 professors/physicians + current student if they're available). Don't be nervous! "Tell me about yourself, how you handle stress, what are your interests outside of work, how would you handle difficult patients, Why DO, Where do you see yourself in 10 years" That was the gist of it. 20-30 min. U. of Colorado has a list of 100 medical school questions. I practiced those with a friend and was fine. It's not a stress interview. They just want to get to know you better.

Whelp. I just bombed the interview at my dream school. One less applicant for you guys to worry about.

Whelp. I just bombed the interview at my dream school. One less applicant for you guys to worry about.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Interviews, no matter how relaxed they are, can still be nerve wracking.

Is it possible you did better than you think?

Don't be too hard on yourself. Interviews, no matter how relaxed they are, can still be nerve wracking.

Is it possible you did better than you think?
No. My gut has been right every time, and I can read a room. I'm not looking for pity guys. I'm a reapplicant and it just didn't feel nearly as conversational as it did before. I got nervous, stuttered and stammered and didn't give very good answers. You could tell they were just kinda like "meh."

Hey Guys! interview on 10/5... anyone have any tips or suggestions! Super excited for this interview.

Hey Guys! interview on 10/5... anyone have any tips or suggestions! Super excited for this interview.

It's totally relaxed and open. Dont worry about it too much. Just know a little about the school, why medicine, DO and everything else flows. It's a conversational interview and they encourage to ask any questions you have throughout the day. I really liked my interview here and the interviewers were very interesting as well

I was complete July 24th. If I haven't heard anything about an II, is it safe to say I'm screwed? lol

Does the interview day typically end by 12PM? Or does it go later?

Does the interview day typically end by 12PM? Or does it go later?

It really depends on when your interview is. Students are split into 2 groups: those that interview in the first hour and those that interview in the second hour.

If you're in group 1, you'll stick around and go to your interview. If you're in group 2, you'll go on a campus tour. Then you switch.

But once you've done the tour and your interview, you're good to leave.

You'll hear this so many times on interview day, but we are not going to try and trick you at all. Be yourself and enjoy the conversation.

It's totally relaxed and open. Dont worry about it too much. Just know a little about the school, why medicine, DO and everything else flows. It's a conversational interview and they encourage to ask any questions you have throughout the day. I really liked my interview here and the interviewers were very interesting as well
Thank you!

I was complete July 24th. If I haven't heard anything about an II, is it safe to say I'm screwed? lol
I got my secondary two days after I submitted all of my information and my interview 2 weeks later. You might not be screwed just letting you know my stats.

Accepted at AZCOM today so most likely I will cancel my interview scheduled for next week at UNECOM Hopefully, someone can take my spot :)

Reactions: 2 users

I know I'm waaayyy late to this party but just so you are aware that is not a flat out rejection, while that did not happen to me at UNECOM it did at SUNY upstate. I actually did end up getting an interview at upstate but had at that point already chosen between UNECOM and another MD program and was too lazy to go to another interview when I knew that UNECOM was where I was going to be happiest.

Also as an addendum if anyone is willing to rent a car and is looking for an a sweet airbnb close to campus just message me because where I stayed was super nice. (Also if you don't want to rent a car and want to stay there and want the info let me know and I can probably help you figure out a cheaper ride alternative)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I interviewed in the beginning of September! Interview is very conversational and structured at the same time. I was interviewed by three people(a PHD, a doctor, and a medical student). All were amazing and welcoming and the student body was super nice. They knew my application inside out and had it on them when they were asking questions. It really seems that this school takes an interest in knowing their students and why they are truly passionate about osteopathic medicine. After the interview, you are free to go or chat with med students and you get a free lunch! I think I left a little after 11 because I had already asked a lot of questions on the tour lol. Best of luck and let me know if you guys have any questions!

Also as an addendum if anyone is willing to rent a car and is looking for an a sweet airbnb close to campus just message me because where I stayed was super nice. (Also if you don't want to rent a car and want to stay there and want the info let me know and I can probably help you figure out a cheaper ride alternative)
Yes please! Would really appreciate the air bnb info- ill be driving up from NY.

Hi Guys,

I interviewed in the beginning of September! Interview is very conversational and structured at the same time. I was interviewed by three people(a PHD, a doctor, and a medical student). All were amazing and welcoming and the student body was super nice. They knew my application inside out and had it on them when they were asking questions. It really seems that this school takes an interest in knowing their students and why they are truly passionate about osteopathic medicine. After the interview, you are free to go or chat with med students and you get a free lunch! I think I left a little after 11 because I had already asked a lot of questions on the tour lol. Best of luck and let me know if you guys have any questions!

Did you hear back yet? Any hard questions?? lol

Did you hear back yet? Any hard questions?? lol

Hi, they told us we would hear back within 4 weeks, so nope, haven't heard back yet! I can't speak for others, but I knew my interview was geared towards my application. When I went in, faculty had already had handwritten notes about me and questions. I was very meticulous and put down my most meaningful experiences when it came to working on my applications, so from my experience, I haven't been asked anything out of left field. I hope that helps!

Does anyone know what the letter requirements are specifically? Is a physician letter of rec required?

Does anyone know what the letter requirements are specifically? Is a physician letter of rec required?
I can't tell you about this year for sure. But last year I had some issues with my undergrad not turning in my physician letter...I didn't find out until actually the day of my interview here (via email from another school). My letter from an NP I worked with was submitted so I guess the school took it in lieu of the physician one.

Hi, they told us we would hear back within 4 weeks, so nope, haven't heard back yet! I can't speak for others, but I knew my interview was geared towards my application. When I went in, faculty had already had handwritten notes about me and questions. I was very meticulous and put down my most meaningful experiences when it came to working on my applications, so from my experience, I haven't been asked anything out of left field. I hope that helps!

First year student - Glad your day went well! I had exactly the same experience during my interview day last year and they really strive to give you an answer in 4 weeks! I actually heard back even sooner since my interview was towards the end of the interview cycle. Good luck!

And if anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to answer them!

First year student - Glad your day went well! I had exactly the same experience during my interview day last year and they really strive to give you an answer in 4 weeks! I actually heard back even sooner since my interview was towards the end of the interview cycle. Good luck!

When was your interview?

Is it me, or have not many interviews gone out from UNE?

What's the interview and acceptance ratio for this school? Anyone have an idea?

When did you submit your secondary?

I'm super mad at myself for having UNECOM on my list back in June, taking it off for some weird reason, changing my mind, and having to submit the secondary on September 1. >:/

Last edited: