2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, second time comment/posting on here. I'm a total newb. I got taken off Rowan's hold list on 6/22!

Just wondering, because I haven't seen anyone talking about this on here, where is everyone getting their blood work/shots done for Rowan's health requirements? It says I need to get everything done by 7/13 and I'm panicking a little (more than a little). My PCP (who is also my step dad) told me that some of the tests/shots are supposedly really expensive and said there might be cheaper ways of getting them done, like donating blood and asking for their test results or something? Guys, I'm not a doctor, I don't know how all this stuff works yet. I need Tdap, Rubeola IgG titer, Mumps IgG titer, Rubella IgG titer, Hep B vaccine and surface antibody titer, hep B core antibody/total/and surface antigen screen, Varicella IgG titer, and 2-step PPD.

plz send help.

Have you checked your vaccination list to see which vaccines you already received? You probably had some of those already. Also, try contacting your insurance to see what vaccinations they cover. The longest process is the 2 step PPD because you need to wait about 3 days for each test to be read, and a week in between PPDs. Blood work should be covered by insurance as well. Also, as long as you contact the Rowan Health person and inform them your plan to get everything done ASAP you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you checked your vaccination list to see which vaccines you already received? You probably had some of those already. Also, try contacting your insurance to see what vaccinations they cover. The longest process is the 2 step PPD because you need to wait about 3 days for each test to be read, and a week in between PPDs. Blood work should be covered by insurance as well. Also, as long as you contact the Rowan Health person and inform them your plan to get everything done ASAP you should be fine.

Thanks for your feedback! You say blood work should be covered by insurance though? Was that your experience? I'll definitely be calling them now to find out. I can't afford hundreds of dollars of tests on top of thousands of dollars in student loans... but I guess I won't really have much of a choice either way.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your feedback! You say blood work should be covered by insurance though? Was that your experience? I'll definitely be calling them now to find out. I can't afford hundreds of dollars of tests on top of thousands of dollars in student loans... but I guess I won't really have much of a choice either way.

Thanks again!

With exception of your insurance co-pay, blood work is generally covered under your insurance. If you are tight on the deadlines, email Charise as she is very understanding and great to work with. She recently moved to a new office and this has caused a bit of a delay in processing information. You should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks again!

My physical, titers, Tb gold, and boosters etc. cost a grand total of $0 with insurance (including copay). I have basic insurance from another university, so I am willing to bet your coverage is at least very similar to mine. Long story short, of all things, don't let this worry you! The possibility of this costing a couple hundred dollars sucks, I know, but it is a raindrop in the ocean of money you have/will be spending to become a doctor and you don't really have a choice!

Hey, I called about my hold list rank recently and apparently I'll be starting next year. I was in the 25th percentile two weeks ago FYI. The woman on the phone said they have been told to start telling students whether or not they'll be starting this year since the white coat ceremony is near. She sounded nervous and I tried to clarify if this was a definite... I couldn't tell if she just didn't want to tell me that I wouldn't be starting this year or if she actually wasn't sure if I could still be called to start this year, but she wasn't that clear. Has anyone else received any information about class placement?

Hey, I called about my hold list rank recently and apparently I'll be starting next year. I was in the 25th percentile two weeks ago FYI. The woman on the phone said they have been told to start telling students whether or not they'll be starting this year since the white coat ceremony is near. She sounded nervous and I tried to clarify if this was a definite... I couldn't tell if she just didn't want to tell me that I wouldn't be starting this year or if she actually wasn't sure if I could still be called to start this year, but she wasn't that clear. Has anyone else received any information about class placement?
Who did you speak to?

Called just now and she said they will start calling people starting today about this. She said they just had the info this morning from Adcoms and they're informing people after a certain rank if they will be starting in 2019, as the white coat ceremony/classes are 3 weeks away.

I agree, she sounded nervous and she apologized in the end lol

I asked her if it was a definite decision and she said yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Called just now and she said they will start calling people starting today about this. She said they just had the info this morning from Adcoms and they're informing people after a certain rank if they will be starting in 2019, as the white coat ceremony/classes are 3 weeks away.

I agree, she sounded nervous and she apologized in the end lol

I asked her if it was a definite decision and she said yes.
Do we know what rank they’re starting at?

Nah, I was going to ask that question but figured they wouldn't reveal it, since they rarely reveal that kind of info. I should've still asked thoughhhh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I got a phone call this morning. From Jeanine, she said that same thing ^ that Rowan does not anticipate me to get in this year based on how close white coat is, and they asked if i was still interested in next year's seat. I said yes, she said that they would send me an email later this week confirming the phone conversation. And then august first week i would be asked to send in my deposit of $195.

Hey! I got a phone call this morning. From Jeanine, she said that same thing ^ that Rowan does not anticipate me to get in this year based on how close white coat is, and they asked if i was still interested in next year's seat. I said yes, she said that they would send me an email later this week confirming the phone conversation. And then august first week i would be asked to send in my deposit of $195.
So are they calling everyone today or in the next few days or so?

So are they calling everyone today or in the next few days or so?
I didn't ask really like when they are calling everyone. but she said that an email would go out at the end of the week confirming that i talked to her so im guessing they will be calling people over the next few days

I got the call just now, so they should be finishing phone calls today and maybe into tomorrow.

I also asked her about the cutoff but she didn’t tell me, as expected hehe.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the call today too! She mentioned the email at the end of the week as well

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone has any recommendations/ advice on paperwork, materials,books to buy, etc for those that are still on the hold list? Don't want to do things last minute.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone has any recommendations/ advice on paperwork, materials,books to buy, etc for those that are still on the hold list? Don't want to do things last minute.

Thanks!

The only thing accepted students have to worry about is their completed health forms and financial aid - and I'm sure you'll receive an extension if pulled off. I believe most students will figure out what textbooks they actually need during orientation week.

Waiting for the end of the week has taken years off of my life. I swear I found my second gray hair this morning because of it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only thing accepted students have to worry about is their completed health forms and financial aid - and I'm sure you'll receive an extension if pulled off. I believe most students will figure out what textbooks they actually need during orientation week.
Thanks for the info!

Theres so many people on the hold list that start next year that we dont even have to wait for fall to start class of 2023 fb page. LOL.

Reactions: 4 users
Have people been joining this lmaooo I feel some camaraderie with the people in this forum lmaoooo

Hi does anyone know if PBL students receive power point slides, lecture materials that are given to traditional students?

Hi does anyone know if PBL students receive power point slides, lecture materials that are given to traditional students?

Yes, PBL students have access to all resources traditional students have, but not the other way around.

Good Luck everyone! There is still time to get pulled off those hold and wait lists!

From what I understand, PBL students receive all of the lectures that traditional students have to supplement whatever material that they have. Not a student here yet though, so could someone else confirm?

From what I understand, PBL students receive all of the lectures that traditional students have to supplement whatever material that they have. Not a student here yet though, so could someone else confirm?
Awkward, didn't see the comments above! But yeah I guess they do

for those of us still on the hold list that are getting deferred to next year, did you guys get that email they were going to send out confirming the phone conversation that we had? i havent gotten anything just wanted to make sure they didnt forget about me

for those of us still on the hold list that are getting deferred to next year, did you guys get that email they were going to send out confirming the phone conversation that we had? i havent gotten anything just wanted to make sure they didnt forget about me

Nope

Ok odd question for jersey natives or current residents. I'm trying to budget, but I'm from the other side of the country. How much do you guys usually pay for utilities? also current students, does anyone know how much a campus parking pass is per semester? I'm just trying to make a budget sooner rather than later Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to discuss over public forum

Ok odd question for jersey natives or current residents. I'm trying to budget, but I'm from the other side of the country. How much do you guys usually pay for utilities? also current students, does anyone know how much a campus parking pass is per semester? I'm just trying to make a budget sooner rather than later Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to discuss over public forum
I can’t really help much with the electric pricing other than to say it will vary wildly based on your usage and time of year. Mine usually comes out to $70-$100 but I always budget a little higher just to be safe and then pocket the savings. Depending on where you move in the area, your provider will be either PSEG or Atlantic City Electric which may have slightly different prices.

The parking pass is included in tuition and is provided during orientation week.