2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How far are they through the hold list? I called on 2 separate occasions and got 2 different answers.
when did you call and what did you get as an answer?
i think early last week someone said they had gotten through approximately 30%

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 4/5 and taken off the hold list today!

Reactions: 1 users
Lmaoooo these april people getting more love than January :'( JK! Congrats to all of you

Reactions: 3 users
Lmaoooo these april people getting more love than January :'( JK! Congrats to all of you

Nah that’s such a good point and that’s kind of frustrating tbh. December / January interviewers were one of the first to be placed on the HL

Reactions: 2 users

Nah that’s such a good point and that’s kind of frustrating tbh. December / January interviewers were one of the first to be placed on the HL

Live I and many others have said, it is NOT first come first served. This is EXACTLY why I told you guys to just stay off the forum, you are literally going to drive yourselves insane over it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! So I deferred my acceptance for the year (official as of yesterday). Looking forward to my year off, will be class of 2023!

Good luck to the person that gets my spot for the year!

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like everyone waiting to hear about the HL is going to start calling to ask since I said I deferred lol

Last edited:
I feel like everyone waiting to hear about the HL is going to start calling to ask since I said I deferred lol

Probably and congrats on reason for deferment by the way :p

Probably and congrats on reason for deferment by the way :p

LOL! Thank you! As unexpected as it is, I'm trying to be positive. So it all started when I called to find out how much time I could get off to go give birth (apparently not even a week in Year 1 and 2) so the decision was pretty much made for me! However I'm going to take it in stride and just tell myself it's another year to do cool cell therapy work, maybe get some more papers in and of course learn to be a mom :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congratulations! Good luck with the baby! And lmao you can stay on the forums as long as you don't get too excited

What's the in-state bias in Rowan? I'm OOS and wondering if I should apply.

Has anyone heard about the hold list since Wednesday?

Has anyone heard about the hold list since Wednesday?
I talked to lauren yesterday and I was previously in the top 50% and now I’m in the top 25% and she said there’s been movement almost everyday, but hard to predict!

Reactions: 4 users
I called this week and they told me i’m in the middle of the list. They advised to call back again in 3 weeks

I called this week and they told me i’m in the middle of the list. They advised to call back again in 3 weeks
Yeah I am not trying to call too often, maybe once every 2 weeks or more. Just because, progress might be slow and i dont want to get caught up with the numbers.

I called yesterday to ask, and Jennifer answered. I had told her i was in the 70% down the list (aka bottom 30%) a couple of weeks ago, and asked for my current position. She wouldn't give me a direct answer and advised that i call back in 3 weeks, saying that movement is now slowing down and that if anything i moved up to max 55-60%.

I called yesterday to ask, and Jennifer answered. I had told her i was in the 70% down the list (aka bottom 30%) a couple of weeks ago, and asked for my current position. She wouldn't give me a direct answer and advised that i call back in 3 weeks, saying that movement is now slowing down and that if anything i moved up to max 55-60%.
yeah, sadly there has been barely any movement in the last week or two.

For those of you that don't know, those of us that were offered acceptance this year whether it be MD or DO were required to notify admissions with a decision sometime around them middle of last month. This is why things have uniformly slowed down for Rowan and other schools.

That being said, movement can still occur but the bulk of it has come and gone. :(

Yeah that's what I figured, I think i saw online that most of the decisions had to be made about where you were going to go by may 14 if you had multiple seats. it's been a bit, so the movement has definitely slowed down.

I literally just don't call because Jenifer always answers and says the same thing.

Reactions: 5 users
I literally just don't call because Jenifer always answers and says the same thing.

Lol yeh same. I also sense some annoyance in her tone (maybe) from all the calls they’ve been getting lately or something haha. :whistle:

Has anyone gotten a positive reply back about their health packet being okay? I imagine the student health office probably has a lot to go through, but I wasn't sure if I should expect anything.

Has anyone gotten a positive reply back about their health packet being okay? I imagine the student health office probably has a lot to go through, but I wasn't sure if I should expect anything.

I'm good.

I know Charise is out of office until tomorrow so I’m sure she’ll start going through and contacting people soon. Her department just changed office locations so it’s probably been hectic for them.

I know Charise is out of office until tomorrow so I’m sure she’ll start going through and contacting people soon. Her department just changed office locations so it’s probably been hectic for them.
Received an email from Charise about missing health information, but I had sent in that info as part of my original email. With her office location changing, she apparently missed it, apologized and also said she is doing all the health packet reviews by herself and trying to catch up as quickly as possible.

I'm laughing to myself because I swore I would just ride it out and be cool if I got on the HL and now I get twitchy every time I get a call from a # I don't recognize because I'm relatively close to the top

Reactions: 6 users
The worst is when you answer the phone from the random number and it's someone just trying to do their job and sell you something but you dont have the heart to tell them that you only picked up because you thought they were Rowan

I didn't get off the hold list last year and had to take a year off. It was actually the best thing that's happened to me. A summer full of stress worrying about hold list this hold list that was cancelled out by a year of travelling to amazing places and having the time of my life. My head is clear now and I don't think I would have been this relaxed going in to medical school next month had that not happened to me.

Good luck to all of you and just know that you have been accepted to the school and the year will fly by if you make the most out of it instead of sitting at home and worrying day and night.

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't get off the hold list last year and had to take a year off. It was actually the best thing that's happened to me. A summer full of stress worrying about hold list this hold list that was cancelled out by a year of travelling to amazing places and having the time of my life. My head is clear now and I don't think I would have been this relaxed going in to medical school next month had that not happened to me.

Good luck to all of you and just know that you have been accepted to the school and the year will fly by if you make the most out of it instead of sitting at home and worrying day and night.

What was your rank on the hold list last year?

What was your rank on the hold list last year?

giphy.gif

Seriously. Everyone go enjoy your summer.

I just received Rowan's secondary. What does everyone think of PBL? What are the pros and cons? I got a secondary and I do not know enough about Rowan's PBL program. Can anyone give me feedback on PBL and willing to answer questions about their program? It seems like it is definately better for me, but I would like to see what others thoughts on this are.

Does Rowan's traditional curriculum do recorded lectures?

I just received Rowan's secondary. What does everyone think of PBL? What are the pros and cons? I got a secondary and I do not know enough about Rowan's PBL program. Can anyone give me feedback on PBL and willing to answer questions about their program? It seems like it is definately better for me, but I would like to see what others thoughts on this are.

I am not currently a Rowan student, but have friends that do go there. Based on my interview day and what other students have told me, PBL is extremely independent where the class essentially picks what they learn to a certain degree. It's very free, but hands-on. PBL Students have told me that they have a slight edge in terms of doing assessments in rotations and stuff like that, but not sure how true or biased that was. In terms of boards, they said that traditional vs. PBL was comparable. Majority ofstudents are traditional due to the limited seats in PBL but i heard that they were trying to expand the program. That being said, most lectures are required for PBL, where traditional it's not the case and you can have a lot more structure curriculum. However, if you just received the secondary, it's too early to consider PBL at least until you get the interview. Just because it's not really a choice until after you are accepted pretty sure. Hope this helps, if any current students have any insight, please answer! or correct me if i was inaccurate about something, just going off of what i learned from the process.

@realtalk1996 pretty much all correct.

I'm an incoming 1st year student that was accepted to PBL. When I submitted the secondary I chose not to do PBL mostly bc I didn't want to write the essay lol. I believe secondary is just to express interest. After I was accepted to the school, I learned more about the program and had the opportunity to apply to PBL - which again is just more essays. Hope that clears it up.

I am doing it as a high-stress person for the pass-fail element and the ability to spend time getting involved in ECs and research that will expand my resume. I also enjoy the prospect of focusing on the "medicine" instead of general science that might not pop up again. Your lectures become medical cases of actual patients (with all info redacted.) You still get access to lectures if you want to do both. Seems like PBL quality of life is higher, too.

Hi! Anyone willing to need my secondary for Rowan-SOM? applying this cycle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey all, second time comment/posting on here. I'm a total newb. I got taken off Rowan's hold list on 6/22!

Just wondering, because I haven't seen anyone talking about this on here, where is everyone getting their blood work/shots done for Rowan's health requirements? It says I need to get everything done by 7/13 and I'm panicking a little (more than a little). My PCP (who is also my step dad) told me that some of the tests/shots are supposedly really expensive and said there might be cheaper ways of getting them done, like donating blood and asking for their test results or something? Guys, I'm not a doctor, I don't know how all this stuff works yet. I need Tdap, Rubeola IgG titer, Mumps IgG titer, Rubella IgG titer, Hep B vaccine and surface antibody titer, hep B core antibody/total/and surface antigen screen, Varicella IgG titer, and 2-step PPD.

plz send help.