2017-2018 Oakland University (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, I just want to confirm with you all: If I have a committee letter prepared from my post-bacc program which includes letters from 2 science profs, 1 MD, 1 employer, and 1 from the committee chair, this only counts for 2 out of 3 letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, did it a take a while for your letters to get processed after you submitted your secondary? It says that my letter has been received on my portal, but the checkmark is still red.

Hey guys, did it a take a while for your letters to get processed after you submitted your secondary? It says that my letter has been received on my portal, but the checkmark is still red.

Yeah I had to email them about that and they fixed it saying there's problem with the system in recognizing committee letters

And I had a single committee letter consisting of 3 letters and it met the requirement I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I had to email them about that and they fixed it saying there's problem with the system in recognizing committee letters

And I had a single committee letter consisting of 3 letters and it met the requirement I think.

So your 1 committee letter met the requirement? Im going to call tomorrow and see if mine will

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So your 1 committee letter met the requirement? Im going to call tomorrow and see if mine will

Sorry, I meant my committee letter packet including 3 individual letters added in met the requirement, similar to that previous poster.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this school accepts AP credits for the English requirement?

I'm a bit confused about the "24 College credit hours" prerequisite form for the new requirements. It says only 1 course of biochemistry/statistics, but gives you two boxes under each discipline? In total there about 13 slots to input courses. Exactly what are they counting as "1 credit hour"? I took courses in the 0.5 credit/course semester system. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Going off of the AMCAS verification, it seems 0.5 OT hours (my 0.5credit/course system) equals 3.00 Semester Hours?

Did you guys all receive confirmation emails for your files being complete? My file has been complete for 4+ days now, but I still have not received a confirmation email... (and yes, I checked my spam box)

submitted 7/18! but file not completed yet because it takes time for the LoRs to get entered in.

What does everyone's LOR notes say on the portal when your app is complete? I'm still not complete, but it says my committee letter was received. No green check yet. I submitted my secondary on Saturday.

What does everyone's LOR notes say on the portal when your app is complete? I'm still not complete, but it says my committee letter was received. No green check yet.

I had to call them and they fixed it for me while I was on the phone. Their system doesn't recognize committee letters as sufficient, so they have to do it manually. Takes less than 3 mins.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to call them and they fixed it for me while I was on the phone. Their system doesn't recognize committee letters as sufficient, so they have to do it manually. Takes less than 3 mins.
Alright, thank you! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Anyone considering uploading their headshot? I see they have an "other" category under the upload document tab

Anyone considering uploading their headshot? I see they have an "other" category under the upload document tab

If they don't ask for it, I wouldn't upload it. Pretty sure that section is only for updates.

Unless you think that your looks will amaze them and get you in...in that case, go for it buddy.

Still waiting for your secondary, Oakland... :unsure:

Hi there, I am interested in applying here. Is there any concern for safety around this school? Is there a lot of crime/ gun violence?

Hi there, I am interested in applying here. Is there any concern for safety around this school? Is there a lot of crime/ gun violence?

I don't go there but Oakland is in the suburbs and is pretty far from Detroit. It's not known for being a dangerous area at all.

I know they said that ideally, they want us to submit II within two weeks of receiving it..
But how bad is it if it took me 2 weeks and 3 days? (LOR writer is lagging on me) T_T

I know they said that ideally, they want us to submit II within two weeks of receiving it..
But how bad is it if it took me 2 weeks and 3 days? (LOR writer is lagging on me) T_T
II = Interview Invite
If you mean secondary, I think you should be fine, but you could always give the admissions office a call so that you don't waste money!

For the essay, how much are people writing? I know it is important for admissions decision, but I don't think I am going to make it close to 400 words.

For the essay, how much are people writing? I know it is important for admissions decision, but I don't think I am going to make it close to 400 words.
Mine was 330 but I definitely wouldn't try to lengthen yours if you can say everything you want in a shorter essay.

Hi guys, I'm a rising M3 at OUWB and just wanted to make myself available to answer your questions if you have any! Feel free to post here or PM me. I do want to stay as anonymous as possible so I can speak freely and not worry about classmates/administrators figuring out who I am. There are a couple other current students who drop by the application thread occasionally as well. Good luck with your applications!
I am a having trouble answering question 2, as it says qualifications and not "anything" like any other prompt i have seen. Hence, the question, what is fair game for prompt 2?

I am a having trouble answering question 2, as it says qualifications and not "anything" like any other prompt i have seen. Hence, the question, what is fair game for prompt 2?
Your question is answered in the second post of this thread.

@Mr.Monster @mrslandingham I do have lot of other information not covered in my app. but most aren't qualification though, hence the question to whether or not limit that prompt to qualifications only? or to update the admission comittee on what i have been doing since i sent the application (i do have a 4 news EC not listed on the app). With qualification being defined as either "a quality or accomplishment that makes someone suitable for a particular job or activity." or "the action or fact of qualifying or being eligible for something.".

Thanks

When filling out the prerequisites portion, if you have 2 separate lab courses for that academic year...how do you you fill in the second?

Again, there's only so much guidance someone not on the adcom can give you on this. I don't know if or how most people answer this question and I don't know what the adcom is looking for. If the prompt says qualifications, I would stick to qualifications. In my personal opinion significant updates to your resume would be considered a qualification (e.g. a paper accepted for publication or 50 more clinical hours qualifies you further for med school), but I think this is something you need to either use your judgment on or ask the admissions office about. You can always send an update later on in the year if you don't feel this information fits the prompt.
ok thanks.

If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.

I have just graduated in May, does this still apply to me? or is this geared towards non-trads?

Did you figure this out? I'm wondering this as well. I graduated undergrad a year early (this May), not sure if I'm supposed to write this third essay because I haven't done a whole lot in just the past 2 months, and at this point am not really any different than a rising senior.

Did you figure this out? I'm wondering this as well. I graduated undergrad a year early (this May), not sure if I'm supposed to write this third essay because I haven't done a whole lot in just the past 2 months, and at this point am not really any different than a rising senior.
Nope I don't think you have. But to be safe tell then that you just graduate and still trying to adjust.

Well I just finished a draft of my secondary essay.... and it looks crappy. This one just feels so hard to write

Currently applying to OUWB. Went to OU for undergrad and can confirm Rochester is a great, safe town.

Last edited:
Should I worry if I haven't received a secondary yet (I was verified 7/19)?

I would not lose hope yet it is still rather early

edit: I checked on the MSAR and everyone should get a secondary over a 495 mcat

Also called the office today and they were very helpful. They received my committee letter packet on 7/21 and the person I spoke with was able to mark the letter requirement as complete. Took just a few minutes.

Anyone heard anything from the school yet regarding IIs or rejections?

hopefully we hear something starting today... looked like they started in late July for the past 2 years

hopefully we hear something starting today... looked like they started in late July for the past 2 years
That's what I was thinking too. I'd imagine the first slew of rejections will be sent out today or next week with IIs following shortly thereafter.

I still haven't submitted my secondary application yet. Hopefully I'm not too late

I just gave them a concise detailed explanation of what I'm going to be doing + plan to do in the upcoming year (my job doesn't start until Fall and I graduated June too so it's been a pretty uneventful summer for the most part lol)

I have a feeling they do some kind of pre-screen based on what I read online somewhere (maybe a previous year's version of this thread). Take what I say with a grain of salt though.

I still haven't submitted my secondary application yet. Hopefully I'm not too late
You should be perfectly fine. It is still relatively early in the secondary cycle. I would definitely get it submitted as soon as possible though!

Anyone know why there is such a large discrepancy between the MCAT median on their site for c/o 2020 (31) and the MCAT median on MSAR (505 for the matriculating class ~29 equivalent)? Do they favour the new MCAT THAT much?

Anyone know why there is such a large discrepancy between the MCAT median on their site for c/o 2020 (31) and the MCAT median on MSAR (505 for the matriculating class ~29 equivalent)? Do they favour the new MCAT THAT much?
MCAT median on MSAR is 507

They usually post the median accepted score and on MSAR you can also view the median matriculant score. Matriculant score is usually a few points lower than accepted.