2017-2018 Oakland University (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCAT median on MSAR is 507

I believe you're referring to the median "accepted" score, not the median "matriculant" score.

They usually post the median accepted score and on MSAR you can also view the median matriculant score. Matriculant score is usually a few points lower than accepted.

Hm. That would make sense if the median accepted score on MSAR was closer to 510-511 (which I believe are equivalent to 31). Instead, however it is listed as 507.

Also - they seem to list the cGPA and sGPA accurately on their website 3.77 and 3.72 respectively (same as the matriculating class stats from MSAR) not 3.79 and 3.73 (accepted class stats).

Members don't see this ad.

For optional question #2, would it be appropriate to discuss a specific semester's GPA "drop" when compared to other semesters (by 0.3 or so when compared to cGPA)? This was due to life circumstances.
Thanks in advance.

For optional question #2, would it be appropriate to discuss a specific semester's GPA "drop" when compared to other semesters (by 0.3 or so when compared to cGPA)? This was due to life circumstances.
Thanks in advance.
how is that a qualification?

Members don't see this ad :)
how is that a qualification?

I was considering how GPA is a qualification for medical school, and this would indirectly be based on supporting my GPA. Or is that not what they're looking for with that prompt?

Additional inputs from others would be helpful.

I was considering how GPA is a qualification for medical school, and this would indirectly be based on supporting my GPA. Or is that not what they're looking for with that prompt?

I would leave it blank unless you haven't explained the circumstances in your primary yet.

Reactions: 1 user

You can do that as well i wouldnt do it though, the language (most schools use circumstances instead of qualification) is different enough to deter me from answering that one. But whatever you do, don't leave anything BLANK.

You can do that as well i wouldnt do it though, the language (most schools use circumstances instead of qualification) is different enough to deter me from answering that one. But whatever you do, don't leave anything BLANK.
I think leaving it blank is a good option if you don't have a strong topic to write about. Especially for OUWB:

I agree but i still wouldnt do it. Just my opinion though.

I think it's a good idea to include it. I called in today to ask if I can use the second essay to explain an academic discrepancy and they said definitely yes - anything that would give them a more complete understanding of your app

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the complete e-mail! Turns out that if your committee letter keeps all your other letters intact they count as separate letters so you meet the requirement!

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach essay 1 without repeating information from the primary application? I spoke about my volunteering and community service in my primary so I am apprehensive to speak about them again in the secondary since in general it's not great to repeat information.

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach essay 1 without repeating information from the primary application? I spoke about my volunteering and community service in my primary so I am apprehensive to speak about them again in the secondary since in general it's not great to repeat information.

I don't think that matters at all...?
Just talk about your service activities in a different perspective with a different narrative etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else missing their tweets? I feel like they were super helpful

If anyone is still struggling with whether or not to answer the optional question, I gave them a call just now and they said that the prompt is a good place to include/talk about things you've done since submitting your primary

Through that essay, the admissions committee is looking to see how you've grown/matured as an individual from your service experiences. So as mentioned above, there's no problem with repeating the activities. However, you want to focus less on the anecdotes and more on personal aspects. For example, talk about new ideas/perspectives you've gained from others while serving, the passions that you've discovered, the talents you've refined, etc. Hope this helps!

I am not sure whether I should pick the traditional or new requirements, any advice on which is best?

I have the same doubt. Which is best or what will be different depending on which one I pick? will there be a difference in the long run?

I have the same doubt. Which is best or what will be different depending on which one I pick? will there be a difference in the long run?
I could've picked either but went with traditional because it was the route I took for medical school.

I could've picked either but went with traditional because it was the route I took for medical school.

But what is the difference between the 2?
Is there a benefit to selecting one or the other?
I fit both categories so as far as the form I will receive is there anything in particular that would benefit me selecting one or the other? Faster? Easier? More chances of getting an interview? Faster interview date? Anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what is the difference between the 2?
Is there a benefit to selecting one or the other?
I fit both categories so as far as the form I will receive is there anything in particular that would benefit me selecting one or the other? Faster? Easier? More chances of getting an interview? Faster interview date? Anything?

If you follow this link, on their FAQ page, under "What prerequisite courses are required?" it says they don't give a preference to either at the bottom.
Frequently Asked Questions - Admissions - Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine - Oakland University

What's up with the II silence?
I think they're blown away by all of our applications and they're having a tough time figuring out how they will accommodate so many interviewees.

Reactions: 5 users
Idk when they'll give out IIs but I'm assuming it's mid-August/ September. So like post game of thrones season.

Reactions: 5 users
Idk when they'll give out IIs but I'm assuming it's mid-August/ September. So like post game of thrones season.

Well at least they have the courtesy to not interupt one of the best GoT seasons of this age!

Last edited:
If I have a 501 and a 3.6/3.4 GPA do i send secondary? OOS

If I have a 501 and a 3.6/3.4 GPA do i send secondary? OOS

They have a very holistic review process, so if your EC's are really good (lots of volunteering, excellence in some area) then you'd stand a decent chance here.

I did receive an email from them stating submitted secondaries in June and July should expect a 6-8 week response time, so I suppose it's gonna be closer to 8 weeks.

I submitted my application a month ago without knowing my MCAT score, which turned out to be extremely bad. I scheduled for a retake in September. Will they evaluate my app based on my 1st score, or will they postpone the revision process to see my new one?

I submitted my application a month ago without knowing my MCAT score, which turned out to be extremely bad. I scheduled for a retake in September. Will they evaluate my app based on my 1st score, or will they postpone the revision process to see my new one?
How bad was the score?

How bad was the score?
497. I have a sGPA 3.93, cGPA 3.96. I took the exam without any preparation thinking I'd be just fine since I already know pretty much everything, ended up paying a huge price. I feel i can improve my score significantly by retaking in September, but I don't want the adcoms to judge me based solely on my first score :(

497. I have a sGPA 3.93, cGPA 3.96. I took the exam without any preparation thinking I'd be just fine since I already know pretty much everything, ended up paying a huge price. I feel i can improve my score significantly by retaking in September, but I don't want the adcoms to judge me based solely on my first score :(

For future references....NEVER take an exam as important as the MCAT without any prep at all (just because your grades/gpa is good). I feel this was certainly a good lesson to be learned!

I would advise to consider future steps carefully. September is not too far off, and I fear that without adequate prep you may score under where you want to be. If 2 exams end up being too low, admission chances do take quite a hit...

The more I learn about science, the more I realize I don't know crap about science

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted! Finally! After sitting on it for a month lol

I would advise to consider future steps carefully. September is not too far off, and I fear that without adequate prep you may score under where you want to be. If 2 exams end up being too low, admission chances do take quite a hit...

I agree with khan3322, September is coming up and I know I needed a solid 3 months to prep for the MCAT. I also have a 3.96 GPA but the test is so much more than knowledge from your classes. Study a little and take a couple of AAMC full lengths just to see if the 497 was a fluke. If you haven't improved much, I would take a gap year.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with khan3322, September is coming up and I know I needed a solid 3 months to prep for the MCAT. I also have a 3.96 GPA but the test is so much more than knowledge from your classes. Study a little and take a couple of AAMC full lengths just to see if the 497 was a fluke. If you haven't improved much, I would take a gap year.
I agree with this advice

I've been studying and practicing since my scores came out, I did a Kaplan practice test yesterday and scored 502. I have a full month left before the real thing to continue improving, but I'll definitely follow your advice, thanks and good luck :)

First II!!! Literally 15 minutes ago, oh my god I'm so excited

Reactions: 6 users
Excited! Just got a II!

AMCAS verified mid June
Invitation to complete secondary on July 7
Submitted on July 9
Complete email on July 10

Last edited:
Congrats to those getting IIs! There are some interview related FAQs in my post on the first page of the thread; feel free to ask more questions if you have them! I suspect things will start rolling a little more quickly as this week ends - the new M1s are currently in orientation which is keeping most of our administrative staff pretty busy.

Also, regarding complete dates and such, this comes up every year and I just want to preemptively say for that OUWB (and most/all other schools) the complete date has almost nothing to do with when you get an II, so there is no use in comparing complete dates. I was complete in June when I applied, and I got IIs as early as August and as late as March. I didn't get my II to OUWB until the holidays and I was still accepted, and I know other people who interviewed in February and are students here now. There are so many things that impact how quickly you get an II besides your complete date. Some of these things are completely irrelevant to your likelihood of getting an interview, like maybe your application went to a reviewer who is slower at reading apps or went on vacation or something. Maybe one school interviews in-state applicants first, or higher stats applicants first, etc.

So while I understand the desire to try to understand what's going on behind the scenes of the admissions process, asking other people for complete dates will really not give you any insight into your personal likelihood/timeline of getting an interview.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I just want to thank you for posting this. A simple message like this really helped ease a major spike in my anxiety for the past hour regarding II's. I truly appreciate it.

Congrats to those getting IIs! There are some interview related FAQs in my post on the first page of the thread; feel free to ask more questions if you have them! I suspect things will start rolling a little more quickly as this week ends - the new M1s are currently in orientation which is keeping most of our administrative staff pretty busy.

Also, regarding complete dates and such, this comes up every year and I just want to preemptively say for that OUWB (and most/all other schools) the complete date has almost nothing to do with when you get an II, so there is no use in comparing complete dates. I was complete in June when I applied, and I got IIs as early as August and as late as March. I didn't get my II to OUWB until the holidays and I was still accepted, and I know other people who interviewed in February and are students here now. There are so many things that impact how quickly you get an II besides your complete date. Some of these things are completely irrelevant to your likelihood of getting an interview, like maybe your application went to a reviewer who is slower at reading apps or went on vacation or something. Maybe one school interviews in-state applicants first, or higher stats applicants first, etc.

So while I understand the desire to try to understand what's going on behind the scenes of the admissions process, asking other people for complete dates will really not give you any insight into your personal likelihood/timeline of getting an interview.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Honestly, thank you so much for this! I am constantly checking SDN and freaking out about not getting secondaries and questioning whether or not I am worthy of attending medical school. Thank you for easing my mind!

I've been studying and practicing since my scores came out, I did a Kaplan practice test yesterday and scored 502. I have a full month left before the real thing to continue improving, but I'll definitely follow your advice, thanks and good luck :)
I know you got a lot of comments already, but I helped teach an MCAT prep course. I only did average for med students in my science courses (3.6 science GPA) but I scored high on the MCAT. The key is to take practice tests 'till the cows come home. The way I studied was to take practice tests under tests conditions (the full 7.5 hours) and then go back to relearn content I missed. By the end I was scoring reliably around 510, and scored even higher on the real thing. For me, it's about being good at how they test more than just being a wiz at science content.

For the secondary question about serving others, can I write about teaching?

Or, does it have to be volunteer work/community service.

I think they're looking more for your experience as a process server for a court or as a server in a restaurant.

I wrote about teaching for mine. I also don't have an II yet, so there's that lol

Would it be inappropriate to discuss research for the second essay question?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile