2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you mean 1500 lmao. But yeah you got a month. I went ahead and canceled most of my future DO IIs and I’m waiting in my last two decisions. Hope those schools aren’t your top schools

Yeah, $1,500 lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I’m just waiting to hear back between one schools that competing with y’all. It’s like a 50/50 rn but i have a few more weeks to make up my mind. It’s an awesome place from what i saw
If you consider the fact that we are trying to build a class with a rolling admissions process the timeline and deposit make perfect sense. What it forces you to do is essentially express interest in our offer to you. By not making the deposit or outright rejecting the offer, we then have a seat to offer to another candidate and the possibility of making someone else’s day. It being non-refundable just ensures that you have to think about it critically before putting it down - since you can’t just pull out and get it back the hope is that you’ll be committed if you pay it. And yet, there is something to be said about having that security.

This is just my perspective, but in the grand scheme of things, the $1,500 deposit is a small fee to secure a spot in medical school while pursuing those other options if you so choose. As a member of this school I do have a bias, but I would hope you’re putting a deposit in because this school stuck out to you on interview day as it did for me. The realist in me understands that you will want to follow up on those interviews, and I actually would still advise it. Being able to compare our school to others will allow you to focus on the good aspects of each school and how they match with what is important to you. Most schools will preach total uniqueness, but the reality is that there are a lot of similarities. Isolating the unique factors of each school by seeing all the similarities can help you decide which school is the best fit. I went on several other interviews and had other acceptances after I paid my deposit here, but for me this school just prevailed in terms of my experience. Now here I am.

Regardless of what you decide to do, congratulations. Having the honor of making that choice is no small feat. For once on this journey being able to be the one to say “no” is kind of nice. Enjoy the process!

If you consider the fact that we are trying to build a class with a rolling admissions process the timeline and deposit make perfect sense. What it forces you to do is essentially express interest in our offer to you. By not making the deposit or outright rejecting the offer, we then have a seat to offer to another candidate and the possibility of making someone else’s day. It being non-refundable just ensures that you have to think about it critically before putting it down - since you can’t just pull out and get it back the hope is that you’ll be committed if you pay it. And yet, there is something to be said about having that security.

This is just my perspective, but in the grand scheme of things, the $1,500 deposit is a small fee to secure a spot in medical school while pursuing those other options if you so choose. As a member of this school I do have a bias, but I would hope you’re putting a deposit in because this school stuck out to you on interview day as it did for me. The realist in me understands that you will want to follow up on those interviews, and I actually would still advise it. Being able to compare our school to others will allow you to focus on the good aspects of each school and how they match with what is important to you. Most schools will preach total uniqueness, but the reality is that there are a lot of similarities. Isolating the unique factors of each school by seeing all the similarities can help you decide which school is the best fit. I went on several other interviews and had other acceptances after I paid my deposit here, but for me this school just prevailed in terms of my experience. Now here I am.

Regardless of what you decide to do, congratulations. Having the honor of making that choice is no small feat. For once on this journey being able to be the one to say “no” is kind of nice. Enjoy the process!

Thank you, and though by no means do I believe that $1,500 is a small amount of money, it can be seen as a "small" price to pay in the massively huge scheme of things. It just hurts a little lol, especially since if I do pick NYITCOM I will be starting almost a Year from now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get two advertising e-mails on the same day a few days ago? I can't believe how many advertisement emails I've gotten from NYIT with no II...haha

Reactions: 9 users
Ok. So I'm still on the high of good news, but it seems like the acceptance email says we have to submit a NONREFUNDABLE deposit of $1,5000 to NYITCOM (at least NY campus) in a month (by Nov 16th for me) if we want to secure our spot. I'm heavily considering NYITCOM but I still have interviews after Nov 16th, as I'm sure most of us do, and obviously will not hear back about those other possible acceptances by then. Someone please tell me that I'm wrong about the deposit deadline!
Hey! I am in the same situation here. We have to pay by Nov 16th or we will lose our seats. Its unbelievable considering we might have MD II's. Its $1,500 and non refundable but we have no options. PM me if you want to discuss it

Reactions: 1 user

I don't think $1,500 is a small fee to secure a medical school spot!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I am in the same situation here. We have to pay by Nov 16th or we will lose our seats. Its unbelievable considering we might have MD II's. Its $1,500 and non refundable but we have no options. PM me if you want to discuss it

This is why they make it so expensive and nonrefundable. We treat DO schools as safety or second option schools. When you get an acceptance they need to make sure that you WANT to really do this. If not, why throw away 1500 if when you get an MD acceptance you will run and rather take that seat.
It's an honor to get an acceptance and if you really want to do DO then paying that money up-front won't be something you consider for too long.

Interviewed this past Friday. Day was fine, but it felt a little long and I was exhausted by the end. Felt like I may have fumbled or rambled a bit in my interview but hopefully I'm just giving myself a hard time like I always do.

Reactions: 1 users
This is why they make it so expensive and nonrefundable. We treat DO schools as safety or second option schools. When you get an acceptance they need to make sure that you WANT to really do this. If not, why throw away 1500 if when you get an MD acceptance you will run and rather take that seat.
It's an honor to get an acceptance and if you really want to do DO then paying that money up-front won't be something you consider for too long.
This is a good point but for those of us living paycheck to paycheck $1500 is not chump change. Even if we know that it’s $1500 well spent to ensure we’ve got a seat, that doesn’t lessen the pain of the hit to the checking account. :/

I don't think $1,500 is a small fee to secure a medical school spot!
You have to take into account how much a school spends on a student a year. Having one less person in a seat is a potential waste of a ton of money, and can impact board score stats and what not. DO schools know they are a lot of peoples second choice, and this large deposit sum is to ensure they always fill their class.

This is a good point but for those of us living paycheck to paycheck $1500 is not chump change. Even if we know that it’s $1500 well spent to ensure we’ve got a seat, that doesn’t lessen the pain of the hit to the checking account. :/
That I completely understand. I am literally planning how to slipt my paycheck to be able to have the amount in case it even happens. Because not even my Credit Cards at this point can do much = ))

That I completely understand. I am literally planning how to slipt my paycheck to be able to have the amount in case it even happens. Because not even my Credit Cards at this point can do much = ))
I'd recommend reaching out the the school, saying you can pay a certain amount and the rest with your next paycheck. I'd be very surprised if they refused

Members don't see this ad :)
y
You have to take into account how much a school spends on a student a year. Having one less person in a seat is a potential waste of a ton of money, and can impact board score stats and what not. DO schools know they are a lot of peoples second choice, and this large deposit sum is to ensure they always fill their class.
Not everyone has $1500! "Having one less person in a seat is a potential waste of a ton of money" :p Agree to disagree! I am not the type of a person who would argue over some useless topic. but regardless, $1500 is a lot considering we are all students!

You know, the more time I think about this, the more indignant I start to feel. I don't treat DO schools as a safety or "second option." In fact, I am boggled by the fact that the DO philosophy did not come first / isn't the most prevalent since I feel a holistic approach to patient care is the best approach, as all MD schools are integrating into their curricula anyway-- the only difference between an MD and DO in my opinion is that fresh out of school, a DO can do more, since they do have that OMM training.

Furthermore, DO's are growing in number and soon the matching process will be merged for MD's and DO's. So for me, I look at NYITCOM the same way that I look at other schools I applied to, including other MD schools. That being said, I would appreciate the time to look at ALL the schools I'm considering and make a well-informed decision. Besides, every school always accepts more students than seats available, so it's not like if I chose another school they wouldn't have plenty of options to replace me with (especially within the eight months between this deadline and the start of next school year).

Reactions: 7 users
I mean, come on, what about DO-only applicants? What if they have other DO interviews after this deadline? What's your argument then? @Pre-med Taco

AACOMAS has deposit trafficking guidelines in place that are reasonable.

If accepted prior to December 14th, you owe a small deposit of $250 to hold your spot until January, then a little more, and then the biggest chunk in April.

Schools that choose not to follow this policy and ask for a large amount of money in a super short amount of time (one school wanted 3k within 2 weeks of acceptance way back in September, I believe) get looked down on by me immediately.

Reactions: 4 users
You know, the more time I think about this, the more indignant I start to feel. I don't treat DO schools as a safety or "second option." In fact, I am boggled by the fact that the DO philosophy did not come first / isn't the most prevalent since I feel a holistic approach to patient care is the best approach, as all MD schools are integrating into their curricula anyway-- the only difference between an MD and DO in my opinion is that fresh out of school, a DO can do more, since they do have that OMM training.

Furthermore, DO's are growing in number and soon the matching process will be merged for MD's and DO's. So for me, I look at NYITCOM the same way that I look at other schools I applied to, including other MD schools. That being said, I would appreciate the time to look at ALL the schools I'm considering and make a well-informed decision. Besides, every school always accepts more students than seats available, so it's not like if I chose another school they wouldn't have plenty of options to replace me with (especially within the eight months between this deadline and the start of next school year).

I agree with your point of view. And I was trying to express what (I think) is the schools thought process. I wish that DO had come first and would have been .pre prevalent. Imagine when you feel the shamed by my committee members because I submitted only AACOMAS for their review - I think I should just stop playing the devil's advocate.

In all honesty, this process is way to expensive just to apply. Even more when you account for interview and putting deposits. Like hell, I have been to one interview and between applications my cards are basicly maxed.

And I feel like im just rambling so I will shut up. But we wil see what the horizon brings...

And personally I don't want to hear back for a TouroCOM interview because their deposit is ridiculous if I were to be accepted.

AACOMAS has deposit trafficking guidelines in place that are reasonable.

If accepted prior to December 14th, you owe a small deposit of $250 to hold your spot until January, then a little more, and then the biggest chunk in April.

Schools that choose not to follow this policy and ask for a large amount of money in a super short amount of time (one school wanted 3k within 2 weeks of acceptance way back in September, I believe) get looked down on by me immediately.

Could you share the link to this? Epuld love to haveit to defend myself and I feel like we all will benefit from it

And personally I don't want to hear back for a TouroCOM interview because their deposit is ridiculous if I were to be accepted.

Tell me about it--I ended up not even completing Touro's secondary cause their $200 supplemental fee was the most expensive I'd seen and I already got the NYITCOM II by the time they sent out their secondaries (was obviously hoping for the best lol, but it worked out thank God).

Does anyone know when more acceptances will go out?

Seems like there has only been one round, hopefully more will go out soon.

Thank you so much!!

Tell me about it--I ended up not even completing Touro's secondary cause their $200 supplemental fee was the most expensive I'd seen and I already got the NYITCOM II by the time they sent out their secondaries (was obviously hoping for the best lol, but it worked out thank God).

They are ridiculous like why do they ask for more than 2K deposit! -_-

Is there any way to check the status of our apps besides directly contacting admissions?

Has anyone who interviewed as the Jonesboro campus on 9/29 hear back yet?

Is there any way to check the status of our apps besides directly contacting admissions?
You could use the portals if your schools have them. I think other than that it is all a waiting game and you could call or send an email query but I would advise against it just to not seem desperate (even though we all are)

You could use the portals if your schools have them. I think other than that it is all a waiting game and you could call or send an email query but I would advise against it just to not seem desperate (even though we all are)

I've been visiting portals frequently! lol yeah I don't think I'll call though I do feel desperate. I was wondering how to check our status for NYIT COM since I don't think there is a portal.

I've been visiting portals frequently! lol yeah I don't think I'll call though I do feel desperate. I was wondering how to check our status for NYIT COM since I don't think there is a portal.
You can only wait

Is there a way to monitor the status? I just submitted my secondary a week ago. would you mind sharing your stats?

did the interviewer say it was closed file? do you have any tips on how to prep for the interview?
I used the SDN interview response page for NYIT, literally every question asked was from that list.

Definitely look at all the questions on the sdn interview review. Also, my interviewer shared that they have everything but our mcat and gpa

did the interviewer say it was closed file? do you have any tips on how to prep for the interview?

Oh btw, I would say either don't use the address mentioned in the email (just put NYIT COM into Gmaps or something), or get there at least 15 min early if you still wanna risk it (probs do both lol). The address they gave led me to this random middle school or something 10 min away from the actual med school campus and I ended up being late to check in (got there literally in the last 5 min before they had the welcome presentation, and no one needs that stress haha).

Oh btw, I would say either don't use the address mentioned in the email (just put NYIT COM into Gmaps or something), or get there at least 15 min early if you still wanna risk it (probs do both lol). The address they gave led me to this random middle school or something 10 min away from the actual med school campus and I ended up being late to check in (got there literally in the last 5 min before they had the welcome presentation, and no one needs that stress haha).

Ya that almost happened to me lol. I'm guessing it's one of those "hey it's around here, figure out the rest yourself"

As I have a practical in the morning I am naturally up and on here instead of sleeping.
I digress.

I’m not sure what address they are giving you, but for what it may be worth the actual address of Wilson Hall (for those coming for interviews) is 2405 Aggie Road, Jonesboro, AR 72401. Wilson Hall is where the medical school is located on campus. Parking information to follow, with a link to a campus map right here:
https://www.astate.edu/dotAsset/c01a352d-7974-475c-b884-ec6c6ce29b7d.pdf

When you come on campus you really only have one primary parking option, and that is the North Parking Deck. It is a parking garage attached to/right next to the Reng Student Union (102 North Caraway Road, Jonesboro, AR 72401), which is across the sidewalk from the medical school. It does cost money to park here, but it as cheap as you’ll find on a college campus anywhere.

Aside from that you can try your hand at the free Visitor parking locations around campus and walk to Wilson. Not sure that there are any “restrictions” to these spots in terms of timeframe, so it could save a few bucks. Some aren’t far from Wilson, either. The two that stick out to me are the ones on Aggie Road, a set by the Administration Building and a set by the Army ROTC Building (1921 Aggie Road, Jonesboro, AR 72401). For either of these, you’re pulling onto Marion Berry Parkway, coming to the 4-way stop sign, and then either turning left or right, respectively.

If you’re gambling on the Visitor parking, I recommend coming early. They can fill up quick, and you don’t want to be late. It should also be stated that this means walking outside in whatever weather conditions exist at that time, whereas with the parking garage you are parked under cover and can move 97% of the way to Wilson under cover.

Hope this helps!

Realizing each day after my interview how much I fell in love with this school. Might have become my top choice, and I'm talking about jonesborro . I loved the area so much.

anyone else still waiting to hear back post interview?