2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

Secondary Questions for this year:

1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

2. Please describe how your personal characteristics, experiences and skills will uniquely contribute to NYITCOM’s diverse learning environment and mission. (Max. 1000 characters)

3. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Do you have any immediate family members who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine? If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary Questions for this year:

1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)

2. Please describe how your personal characteristics, experiences and skills will uniquely contribute to NYITCOM’s diverse learning environment and mission. (Max. 1000 characters)

3. After residency, describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

4. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)

5. Do you have any immediate family members who have graduated from NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine? If you do, please provide their name, relationship, and year of graduation from NYITCOM. (Max. 200 characters)

@chizledfrmstone

Has anyone been invited to/planning on attending any of the campus tours this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know the average stats / screening criteria for this school

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this is a stupid questions, but what exactly do schools mean by what kind of community we hope to work in as physicians? Are they looking for us to describe location wise (eg. rural vs suburban vs urban) or socioeconomically (eg. underrepresented and undeserved) or something else? For example, I have had experience working with foster children, so would this be appropriate to discuss or am I off topic? I may be overthinking this...

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is a stupid questions, but what exactly do schools mean by what kind of community we hope to work in as physicians? Are they looking for us to describe location wise (eg. rural vs suburban vs urban) or socioeconomically (eg. underrepresented and undeserved) or something else? For example, I have had experience working with foster children, so would this be appropriate to discuss or am I off topic? I may be overthinking this...
No you're on the right track. They're asking demographic and geographic populations.

Has anyone received the FAP voucher yet. I have been ready to submit for two weeks now. They said that they will get back to me but all I received have been crickets.

Has anyone received the FAP voucher yet. I have been ready to submit for two weeks now. They said that they will get back to me but all I received have been crickets.

I talked to admissions yesterday. They're having issues with the entire primaries/secondaries processing. That's probably going to delay things.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, is the secondary considered fully submitted after you have paid the fee? I got a confirmation from PayPal, but not from NYITCOM. Plus, I didn't see an actual "submit" button on the application itself so I was a little confused about this :confused:

Quick question, is the secondary considered fully submitted after you have paid the fee? I got a confirmation from PayPal, but not from NYITCOM. Plus, I didn't see an actual "submit" button on the application itself so I was a little confused about this :confused:

The person in the thread linked below called the admissions office. You're good.

NYITCOM secondary

Looks like I won't be applying here as well. This school along with PCOM requires, "Letters from 2 science and 1 non-science faculty who have taught you." Since you're all applying I assume you all have the required letters? I have two science letters, and I don't think I can get a nonscience letter since I've been out of school for more than two years.

Looks like I won't be applying here as well. This school along with PCOM requires, "Letters from 2 science and 1 non-science faculty who have taught you." Since you're all applying I assume you all have the required letters? I have two science letters, and I don't think I can get a nonscience letter since I've been out of school for more than two years.

Is it possible for you to get a committee letter? I'm also a nontrad.

Try calling the office and explain your situation. They may be willing to take a different letter in its place.

Finally submitted my secondary. Took them at least one month to grant me the fee waiver.

Did anybody JUST get an email saying that their AACOMAS application is now processed?

Same. I'm pretty sure i got 4 emails from them. 3 of them confirmed that my secondary/payment was complete and the one today said that they received my AACOMAS

Same. I'm pretty sure i got 4 emails from them. 3 of them confirmed that my secondary/payment was complete and the one today said that they received my AACOMAS

I got three of those emails too. I was afraid I accidentally submitted the payment 3 times but it must've been a glitch.

What kind of photo did you guys upload? Obviously it can't be a ridiculous one, but I don't have a passport-esque photo.

Would a professional photo from an event (a wedding) be considered okay? I feel like I'm overthinking this haha

What kind of photo did you guys upload? Obviously it can't be a ridiculous one, but I don't have a passport-esque photo.

Would a professional photo from an event (a wedding) be considered okay? I feel like I'm overthinking this haha

I've read some past threads where people were super judgemental about their photo ("if it's not walgreen's passport quality, you're getting rejected"), but after speaking to admissions people from various schools, they said a professional photo with a white background should suffice. So business casual/business clothing, smiling, shoulders and up included, etc.

If the wedding photo is you super decked out, maybe not haha. But if you're dressed professionally and you can crop it to just have you in the photo, I think you're good.

I literally wore a blouse on top of my pajamas, fixed my hair and took a selfie at eye-level in front of a white wall. I cropped it so the picture included my shoulders and head but nothing below.

Thank you both. I used the picture from the event...its a beige background and I'm wearing a dress and have my makeup done and what not but it's not over the top. I cropped it from the shoulders up like suggested.

Woo, another secondary submitted!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm trying to submit my secondary but it's not exactly letting me. Are you only allowed to submit it after 5 days post-payment?

I'm trying to submit my secondary but it's not exactly letting me. Are you only allowed to submit it after 5 days post-payment?

All applicants are required to complete NYITCOM’s Supplemental Application within 10 days of submitting an AACOMAS application and no later than February 16, 2018.

I am not able to login either. I was waiting for their email regarding the fee waiver and they said they will get back to me. Now I emailed them back to see whats going on. :(
All applicants are required to complete NYITCOM’s Supplemental Application within 10 days of submitting an AACOMAS application and no later than February 16, 2018.

I am not able to login either. I was waiting for their email regarding the fee waiver and they said they will get back to me. Now I emailed them back to see whats going on. :(
It doesn't let you submit it after selecting the fee waiver? I paid the fee but it's not letting me submit right after that :[

I received AACOMAS 6/8 and received the supplement 6/30. That's more than 10 days. Is that way?

I received AACOMAS 6/8 and received the supplement 6/30. That's more than 10 days. Is that way?

I think they meant "after receiving the secondary", not submitting the primary. They must have had a systems hiccup. I'd call to have it fixed.

Does anyone know how to check application status?

I haven't received secondaries from NYITCOM but submitted my AACOMAS last Friday. Do they send you a secondary or do we need to log-in directly to website?

I haven't received secondaries from NYITCOM but submitted my AACOMAS last Friday. Do they send you a secondary or do we need to log-in directly to website?

Go directly to their website to submit

I was able to submit the secondary a month before my invite though...
Hmmm interesting. I wasn't able to log in until I received the email notification. But as long as it's submitted, then I guess it doesn't matter how we got there :)

I tried to make an account on the website but I keep getting invalid AACOMAS number...
Interesting. I was able to create my account immediately after I submitted my AACOMAS primary app to this school. Try calling the school, maybe?

Interesting. I was able to create my account immediately after I submitted my AACOMAS primary app to this school. Try calling the school, maybe?
I was able to create it now :) Thank you everyone!

Hello All! received my secondary a while back, but was waiting for them to confirm that I had gotten the FAP through AACOMAS. I had to call them, and they told me that they had been busy and whatnot, had them take down my name and they promised they would send me the waiver as soon as they start processing those. Received it, an hour later. Currently working on it, trying to submit today! May we all get in!!

Hi all! I'm trying to submit my app but maybe I'm having a technical difficulty? I paid and everything but can't find the submit button...I keep ending up in the PayPal page. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Hi all! I'm trying to submit my app but maybe I'm having a technical difficulty? I paid and everything but can't find the submit button...I keep ending up in the PayPal page. Anyone else having a similar issue?
After I paid thru PayPal, I got an email that said "We have received your payment confirmation from PayPal. Your supplemental application is now complete." But I remember being confused until I got that email because there isn't really a submit button, you just pay and then *poof* it disappears

After I paid thru PayPal, I got an email that said "We have received your payment confirmation from PayPal. Your supplemental application is now complete." But I remember being confused until I got that email because there isn't really a submit button, you just pay and then *poof* it disappears
Thank you for letting me know! Hmm mine doesn't say that my supplemental application is now complete. I only got the following message from PayPal: "You sent a payment of $80.00 USD to New York Institute of Technology." Should I call them tomorrow?