2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Given the information you know now, would you choose to attend this school again?
No, I wouldn't. I was given the opportunity (because of COVID) to wait a year to matriculate and get to go to the NY campus, or go here and start on time. I kick myself every day for making the decision to stay here. Yeah I get to be a doctor in the end, and I've done great academically. But the amount of crap that this school has put me, and other student through has made med school way harder than it has to be. Especially if you are a URM student I would do everything you can to get somewhere else. But if its your only option it's your only option. Just be prepared for whats coming ahead. We as students are doing everything we can to try to make it better for future classes, but until admin decides to humble themselves and actually listen to what we are saying I don't think there will be any meaningful change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're missing two of them. For the sake of their privacy I'm not going to feed this speculation any further. But just know there have been 3 suicides and 1 murder as stated above. Regardless of how many or how they happened, the point is that the school did not do their job to protect these students or to help the others who were mourning their loss.

What privacy? I don't mean to be harsh, but I doubt they care about their privacy at this point. If your concern is that this school is so bad that students are at risk of committing suicide, don't you think it'd be important to provide solid proof rather than being all dodgy? I can't find any other records of any other suicides at NYITCOM-Jonesboro online, so either something's up here or NYITCOM has CIA-level silencing skills.

As for the first situation involving the murder-suicide. Is there any reason to believe that NYITCOM-Jonesboro specifically contributed to their deaths? By all accounts, this seems like a relationship issue between the two, given that the murderer appeared to be an ex-boyfriend. Although I doubt the stress of medical school helped, I doubt NYITCOM-Jonesboro played the most significant role. These things happen.

Reactions: 2 users
No, I wouldn't. I was given the opportunity (because of COVID) to wait a year to matriculate and get to go to the NY campus, or go here and start on time. I kick myself every day for making the decision to stay here. Yeah I get to be a doctor in the end, and I've done great academically. But the amount of crap that this school has put me, and other student through has made med school way harder than it has to be. Especially if you are a URM student I would do everything you can to get somewhere else. But if its your only option it's your only option. Just be prepared for whats coming ahead. We as students are doing everything we can to try to make it better for future classes, but until admin decides to humble themselves and actually listen to what we are saying I don't think there will be any meaningful change.
It sounds like the administration is what needs to be worked on more than anything. Not listening to their current students opinions makes no sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
What privacy? I don't mean to be harsh, but I doubt they care about their privacy at this point. If your concern is that this school is so bad that students are at risk of committing suicide, don't you think it'd be important to provide solid proof rather than being all dodgy? I can't find any other records of any other suicides at NYITCOM-Jonesboro online, so either something's up here or NYITCOM has CIA-level silencing skills.

As for the first situation involving the murder-suicide. Is there any reason to believe that NYITCOM-Jonesboro specifically contributed to their deaths? By all accounts, this seems like a relationship issue between the two, given that the murderer appeared to be an ex-boyfriend. Although I doubt the stress of medical school helped, I doubt NYITCOM-Jonesboro played the most significant role. These things happen.
This is unfair to their family and friends, who I'm sure are on here and can see what you're writing. Please be more respectful because their deaths should not be being used as an arguing point. Like geez I don't know why you're all caught up on this one detail. People died and we all had to go through it so believe what you will but just stop talking about it because its incredibly disrespectful.

I guess my question would be: how is this school accredited if there are problems as significant as have been stated? Shouldn't they have to shut this place down if a large percentage of students are not even making it through the first semester?

This is unfair to their family and friends, who I'm sure are on here and can see what you're writing. Please be more respectful because their deaths should not be being used as an arguing point. Like geez I don't know why you're all caught up on this one detail. People died and we all had to go through it so believe what you will but just stop talking about it because its incredibly disrespectful.
Yes...I'm sure the family and friends of these deceased NYITCOM-Jonesboro students are active participants in the school's SDN threads. Also, you're the one who is using them as an argument point since you're the one citing them has evidence of the failures of NYITCOM-Jonesboro.

IMO if you're going to accuse a school of being so heinous that it contributed significantly to the suicides of three students (which you still haven't proven btw), then you should provide some modicum of proof. Otherwise, don't be surprised if people doubt your claims.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess my question would be: how is this school accredited if there are problems as significant as have been stated? Shouldn't they have to shut this place down if a large percentage of students are not even making it through the first semester?
We had our COCA accreditation last year. I spoke with some of the COCA representatives 1on1 and what they said the school told them is not what students told them. The school told them everyone in the 3rd year class had taken level 1, which was not true as there are still students who haven't taken it. They told them 50% of students participate in research when its more like 10%. And that just a few of the things. However we also had limited access to the representatives and when we did have meetings they asked pre-made questions that didn't touch on any of these issues. The school has a team of lawyers that do everything they can to keep the school's image, which is how they were able to wiggle out of all of the DEI issues they have been having. Also wouldn't surprise me if there were some family ties/friendships between some of the admin and people at COCA, but thats just speculation on my part.

We had our COCA accreditation last year.
COCA was on site this past fall and the school is fully accredited. It’s not on heightened monitoring or probation.

The school told them everyone in the 3rd year class had taken level 1, which was not true as there are still students who haven't taken it.
This happens even at MD schools. It’s not the end of the world. The students should have met their benchmarks.

They told them 50% of students participate in research when its more like 10%.
Just because a student isn’t participating in research at NYITCOM, doesn’t mean they aren’t participating in research somewhere. The majority of students at this campus aren’t interested in fields that value research anyways. Your 10% estimation isn’t a fact.

Also wouldn't surprise me if there were some family ties/friendships between some of the admin and people at COCA, but thats just speculation on my part.
This serves no purpose for anyone, other than to validate your own feelings.

Agree with all these points above with what LIFS7 stated.

My question is why are accounts that appear “old” but have zero post history spreading half-truths everywhere? There’s some truth sure but most of it appears to be completely outdated. As I stated earlier, do your own research and ask the admissions people and faculty at NYITCOM yourself: no one is going to scream at you for asking questions about remediation or rotation set-ups.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone, I won't speak to the veracity of the claims made about this school, but I will note that of the three people who wrote long posts detailing the problems with the school, two of them have accounts that were made within the last two days (@HappyDaysMD (03/30) and @Dr.chef. (03/31 night)). The other account, @StudentDoctorCentaur, that claims they are a current student has an account that was created on January 30th, 2018, but literally, the only activity they actually have is that comment they made on Thursday, over 5 years later. They have zero other activity other than that.

Make of this what you will.

Edit: Additional things I noticed
@HappyDaysMD was only active on Thursday (3/30) evening and night, and went completely silent on Friday (3/31). The evening of that very same day (Friday, 3/31) @Dr.chef. 's account was created.

@StudentDoctorCentaur , who has been completely inactive for 5 years since creating their account, somehow posted their long negative review less the day after @HappyDaysMD posted theirs. (This post originally said 2 hours, but this was me getting the days mixed up).

Looking at the past NYITCOM-Jonesboro pages, there haven't been any other negative reviews of this level of detail and length. Suddenly, there's three of them within less than a 36-hour time span.

Something smells rotten here.
one of my classmates shared this post with me. Prior to this I was not present on SDN nor did I know that it existed until this thread was shared with me yesterday, so I made an account and shared my point of view. As was stated in my post if you have any doubts about my legitimacy or that I go to the school please PM me and we can set up a way to verify and put your doubts aside.

The girl that was killed was not an ex boyfriend it was her current live in boyfriend. multiple students at the school had raised concerns about him and their relationship. This was not the first case of domestic violence/abuse that this school has seen and unfortunately is the only one that made enough waves for it to be reported on. There are a lot of interpersonal student issues that go on that are hushed at the school, such as multiple racists remarks and actions by peer, stalking, and many instances of Title 9 behavior against students. while I am sure this is common at most schools I genuinely believe this is a case of the more you know.
Students were only allowed one day to speak with the accrediting staff near the end of their visit. this was immediately after our comprehensive exam in the fall and as a result some students were not present as they used that time to take a break and visit their families. also if you look at the reporting results for the schools (I have attached it below) you will see that the school operates under one accreditation. this is in contrast to VCOM, Rocky vista, PCOM, MWU, LECOM, and ATSU which have each school accredited individually.

Also students that Remediate are not considered out of the COM as they are in the COM's masters program therefore they are not reported as attrition, and most students that remediate FOM (given that they see the material 3 times and develop better groups to work with, and methods of study) have done well this second semester and are not in danger of failing. therefore the attrition rate stays roughly the same.
Yes...I'm sure the family and friends of these deceased NYITCOM-Jonesboro students are active participants in the school's SDN threads. Also, you're the one who is using them as an argument point since you're the one citing them has evidence of the failures of NYITCOM-Jonesboro.

IMO if you're going to accuse a school of being so heinous that it contributed significantly to the suicides of three students (which you still haven't proven btw), then you should provide some modicum of proof. Otherwise, don't be surprised if people doubt your claims.
While I am not sure of the other posters additional 2 suicides (unless they are speaking about the ones that happened the New York campus). I will say that while there is no one particular person that Is bad/ heinous at this school it ultimately is the way that each administrators incompetencies mesh with others that create a poor environment, from absence of key administrators, to the lack of knowledge of some, to even the lack of response/presence of the finance office. taken alone no single person in the COM is bad, its adding them all up and putting all of the faults together that the issues present. especially When nepotism is so rampant that the dean tells you about it on day one, about how he hired X because they knew each other so well from medical school, and how she was the only reason he was able to get through medical school, or Y who got his wife a job with the COM, Z's Husbands actions to the COM were noted earlier and are unfortunately true as she has alluded to this in our first days with her. etc. the longer you look the more you see how close many people were prior to the school opening. you see XX and Dr. YY in the same band since medical school, you see them playing at What used to be the coffee shop owned by Mr and Mrs. ZZ until it closed down.
once again though I will say, if you are able just come in do your time expect nothing more, get your degree, hope the school isn't shut down by the time you apply to residency, and move on. It is politics and it sucks, and we don't have a say in how to make anything better. this doesn't prevent you from still getting through.

in regards to the schools current system, everyones largest fear is that it took them months to find a career development replacement for Holly Proffitt. She was vital to the schools match rate and many of the current 3rd and 2nd year students have sought out her independent consulting services at their own expense. This is because the person that was hired to replace her has no career development experience In medical schools, or with the match (our student body was able to see their resumes prior to their interview), she came from Arkansas State University and it has been stated by the deans that she is a close friend. she has currently been in her position for 3 months and has sent us one email. Her predecessor had done monthly meetings with each class to prepare for match including resume building, CV building, finding DO appropriate programs for students, she would also work very closely with those in 3rd and 4th year to prepare them for the match.

I Will finally highlight one point that needs to be made. our class ran into this problem and I am sure it will keep happening. The schools initial interviews and offers occur in September-October. the school over offers spots prior to seeing the amount of students that will be forced into the FOM remediation. They therefore do not take into account the number of students forced to remediate (we don't know how many that will be in October, as grades aren't finished until December) this made our class and most likely the class of 2027 have 130+ students which is outside their current accreditation. this creates an unfortunate system where either 20+ students from jonesboro remediate FOM, or the school faces a violation, the introduction of the FOM remediation system solved a temporary problem of financial issues with the school, and is a temporary solution to its own problem that it created of bringing in too many students for a year. But unfortunately like above the goal is to just not be in the last 20-25% of the class and you'll be ok.

Attachments

• COCA-2023-COM-Continuing-Standards.pdf
    467.2 KB · Views: 87
  • colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf
    288.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with all these points above with what LIFS7 stated.

My question is why are accounts that appear “old” but have zero post history spreading half-truths everywhere? There’s some truth sure but most of it appears to be completely outdated. As I stated earlier, do your own research and ask the admissions people and faculty at NYITCOM yourself: no one is going to scream at you for asking questions about remediation or rotation set-ups.
Best person to ask about anything related to Rotations will be either Tonsiha Rowing-White, or Ben Woodruff. As for remediation you can talk to Dr. Sleiman if you are able to get in touch with him, otherwise anyone in the academic affairs department should be able to answer your question attached is the student handbook that details information about how remediation works, please be advised that while you may sign saying you will abide by this they have been known to change parts of the book in the middle of the year, with the class of 2025 being the first to receive the FOM remediation course a few weeks before the start of semester 2. this was a change to the handbook and students were told "it is what it is".

Last edited:
one of my classmates shared this post with me. Prior to this I was not present on SDN nor did I know that it existed until this thread was shared with me yesterday, so I made an account and shared my point of view. As was stated in my post if you have any doubts about my legitimacy or that I go to the school please PM me and we can set up a way to verify and put your doubts aside.

The girl that was killed was not an ex boyfriend it was her current live in boyfriend. multiple students at the school had raised concerns about him and their relationship. This was not the first case of domestic violence/abuse that this school has seen and unfortunately is the only one that made enough waves for it to be reported on. There are a lot of interpersonal student issues that go on that are hushed at the school, such as multiple racists remarks and actions by peer, stalking, and many instances of Title 9 behavior against students. while I am sure this is common at most schools I genuinely believe this is a case of the more you know.

Students were only allowed one day to speak with the accrediting staff near the end of their visit. this was immediately after our comprehensive exam in the fall and as a result some students were not present as they used that time to take a break and visit their families. also if you look at the reporting results for the schools (I have attached it below) you will see that the school operates under one accreditation. this is in contrast to VCOM, Rocky vista, PCOM, MWU, LECOM, and ATSU which have each school accredited individually.

Also students that Remediate are not considered out of the COM as they are in the COM's masters program therefore they are not reported as attrition, and most students that remediate FOM (given that they see the material 3 times and develop better groups to work with, and methods of study) have done well this second semester and are not in danger of failing. therefore the attrition rate stays roughly the same.

While I am not sure of the other posters additional 2 suicides (unless they are speaking about the ones that happened the New York campus). I will say that while there is no one particular person that Is bad/ heinous at this school it ultimately is the way that each administrators incompetencies mesh with others that create a poor environment, from absence of key administrators, to the lack of knowledge to some, to even the lack of response/presence of the finance office. taken alone no single person in the COM is bad, its adding them all up and putting all of the faults together that the issues present. especially When nepotism is so rampant that the dean tells you about it on day one, about how he hired Dr. Deel because they knew each other so well from medical school, and how she was the only reason he was able to get through medical school, or Dr. Sleiman who got his wife a job with the COM, Tracy Owens Husbands actions to the COM were noted earlier and are unfortunately true as she has alluded to this in our first days with her. etc. the longer you look the more you see how close many people were prior to the school opening. you see Dr. Abraham, and Dr. Speights in the same band since medical school, you see them playing at What used to be the coffee shop owned by the Owens until it closed down.
once again though I will say, if you are able just come in do your time expect nothing more, get your degree, hope the school isn't shut down by the time you apply to residency, and move on. It is politics and it sucks, and we don't have a say in how to make anything better. this doesn't prevent you from still getting through.

in regards to the schools current system, everyones largest fear is that it took them months to find a career development replacement for Holly Proffitt. She was vital to the schools match rate and many of the current 3rd and 2nd year students have sought out her independent consulting services at their own expense. This is because the person that was hired to replace her has no career development experience In medical schools, or with the match (our student body was able to see their resumes prior to their interview), she came from Arkansas State University and is a close friend of the two deans. she has currently been in her position for 3 months and has sent us one email. Her predecessor had done monthly meetings with each class to prepare for match including resume building, CV building, finding DO appropriate programs for students, she would also work very closely with those in 3rd and 4th year to prepare them for the match.

I Will finally highlight one point that needs to be made. The schools initial interviews and offers occur in September-october. our class ran into this problem and I am sure it will keep happening. the school over offers spots prior to seeing the amount of students that will be forced into the FOM remediation. They therefore do not take into account the number of students forced to remediate (we don't know how many that will be in October, as grades aren't finished until December) this made our class and most likely the class of 2027 have 130+ students which is outside their current accreditation. this creates an unfortunate system where either 20+ students from jonesboro remediate FOM, or the school faces a violation, the introduction of the FOM remediation system solved a temporary problem of financial issues with the school, and is a temporary solution to its own problem that it created of bringing in too many students for a year. But unfortunately like above the goal is to just not be in the last 20-25% of the class and you'll be ok.

With your last point, are you essentially saying that a 1/5th of the class will be forced to remediate despite their best efforts, otherwise the school faces a violation? do they grade on a bell curve? what if every student manages to pass and no one is eligible for remediation?

With your last point, are you essentially saying that a 1/5th of the class will be forced to remediate despite their best efforts, otherwise the school faces a violation? do they grade on a bell curve? what if every student manages to pass and no one is eligible for remediation?
They can't force anyone to remediate if the students meet the minimum standards of passing. There isn't some conspiracy going on at the school. Make the grades and you pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
no I am going off of this year and last years scores only prior to the introduction of the FOM remediation program. there were approximately 7 students that did summer remediation for class of 2024 of which I believe only 2 passed due to the previously stated changes in the Kaplan videos and scholar RX that were implemented and the nature of the Exams that were given.

If a class were to come in and have everyone pass then there would be no students put to remediation this would create a precarious situation for the school if they had more students than they were allowed in the class. There is no curve in the school and the only instance to date that anyone has heard of this was for 2026 only semester 1 where everyone got a 2 point bump to their final grade. This was unheard of. Currently your score is your score, no bell curve, no adjusting to normal, each exam will have a certain number of questions that are dropped. If you missed that question/questions then its great as your grade increases. if you got those questions right then that's not great because It lowers your overall score some. They argue that it is not possible for your grade to go down after dropping questions, however at least 3 students that I know have proven that this is not the case.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, I won't speak to the veracity of the claims made about this school, but I will note that of the three people who wrote long posts detailing the problems with the school, two of them have accounts that were made within the last two days (@HappyDaysMD (03/30) and @Dr.chef. (03/31 night)). The other account, @StudentDoctorCentaur, that claims they are a current student has an account that was created on January 30th, 2018, but literally, the only activity they actually have is that comment they made on Thursday, over 5 years later. They have zero other activity other than that.

Make of this what you will.

Edit: Additional things I noticed
@HappyDaysMD was only active on Thursday (3/30) evening and night, and went completely silent on Friday (3/31). The evening of that very same day (Friday, 3/31) @Dr.chef. 's account was created.

@StudentDoctorCentaur , who has been completely inactive for 5 years since creating their account, somehow posted their long negative review less the day after @HappyDaysMD posted theirs. (This post originally said 2 hours, but this was me getting the days mixed up).

Looking at the past NYITCOM-Jonesboro pages, there haven't been any other negative reviews of this level of detail and length. Suddenly, there's three of them within less than a 36-hour time span.

Something smells rotten here.
Also I'm not sure how this forum works completely (still new here and all) but in other forums that I have been a part of Mods have been able to verify multiple account creation as it shows the IP of the person making the account (usually helpful in bans, spam accounts). I'm not sure if that's how SDN works but if so that would be a great way to test your theory.

I guess I Will reiterate you can become a doctor at this school. You can pass, you can pass boards, you can match, you can go on to residency and fellowship, we graduated students that are in surgery, cardiology, anesthesia, neuro, and even Derm. These things are not impossible. what a lot of students that have come to this school have found out is that almost everything is in your own hands with little to no outside help, the amount of guidance, and mentorship is limited here. many of my close personal classmates are trying to do things like CT, Cardio, Surgery, Neurosurgery, Rad and the thing is they are doing well. they have made the connections, they have reached out, they have looked into preceptors, they have found volunteer opportunities, they have done everything to make their own way because they realize that the amount of help they can actually get from the school to pursue their dreams is very limited. This school will be a direct reflection of the work you put into it, and you should be good at finding all you need to succeed, when myself and my close friend went to the associate director of research to try and find Labs that aligned with our interest, the conversation was short and was summarized as "there is nothing like that here, you're better off looking on your own for a Lab to partner with somewhere else".

this school was made to provide primary care to the delta region. that's internal med, family, and Peds. If your looking for Gas, Surgery, Rad, or other specializations, you can do it here just make sure you have the ability or the network to find out everything you need to know, and be prepared to do all the researching, looking up, interviewing, calling, and other aspects yourself on top of your school work, and then go do the things you have researched and looked into.

Discussion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of a school are encouraged. Axe-grinding or naming the people to which you apply blame is not permitted. We have no way of confirming allegations.
We have tried to remove names while reserving content, but from here forward we ask that you do that editing yourself.

• Love
Discussion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of a school are encouraged. Axe-grinding or naming the people to which you apply blame is not permitted. We have no way of confirming allegations.
We have tried to remove names while reserving content, but from here forward we ask that you do that editing yourself.
thank you! my apologies, I see the formatting you did and will follow that moving forward I appreciate it.

Question: if we have been accepted but are still waiting for other school’s decisions, how do we approach this April 15 tuition deadline? Will I seriously have to lose that much money if I decide to go elsewhere? I thought I just would have to pay a deposit?

Question: if we have been accepted but are still waiting for other school’s decisions, how do we approach this April 15 tuition deadline? Will I seriously have to lose that much money if I decide to go elsewhere? I thought I just would have to pay a deposit?

What’s the tuition deadline? Is this just at NYITCOM or every med school?

I was told we just have to set up a payment plan or figure out loans. I think it’s very early to do it personally considering there’s still a lot of movement to go.

What’s the tuition deadline? Is this just at NYITCOM or every med school?
I’ve seen where other schools do similar things.
I was told we just have to set up a payment plan or figure out loans. I think it’s very early to do it personally considering there’s still a lot of movement to go.
Have you verified this with someone from the school or begun this process yourself?

I’ve seen where other schools do similar things.

Have you verified this with someone from the school or begun this process yourself?
I had someone tell me about it but I need to contact the school and check it out. Surely we’re not supposed to pay half of tuition when we don’t know for sure we’re attending here at this point.

The April 15th deadline is just to accept your loans or set up a payment plan, it just gets cancelled if you attend another school. You should contact the AR financial aid person, you can also contact NY financial aid if you don't get a timely response

Is there a discord chat for accepted Arkansas students?

The April 15th deadline is just to accept your loans or set up a payment plan, it just gets cancelled if you attend another school. You should contact the AR financial aid person, you can also contact NY financial aid if you don't get a timely response
What if we don't know the decision by then?

BRUH I TOOK A BREAK FROM SDN I COME BACK TO THIS PAGE BLOWING UP WTF- what is the consensus??

• Haha
BRUH I TOOK A BREAK FROM SDN I COME BACK TO THIS PAGE BLOWING UP WTF- what is the consensus??
I think @helpmeouthere said it best, "Every school has their pros and cons lol. At the end of the day, you’ll be a physician regardless. If it’s you’re only acceptance or you chose this school over others, I wouldn’t really stress"

consensus on what? Please elaborate
on the validity of these claims. All of us on here are prospective students so we dont really know what to expect. I am also not from the area which i guess is a little alarming

my 2 cents after reading these posts- your going to bust your ass in med school regardless where you end up. Some places make life a little easier some make it harder but its up to you to make your path yourself. it sucks but thats the game you have to play. I reached out to a current 3rd year and they said they liked it so far. Can any other students comment on their experience?

edit: based on IG the dean Speights seems really involved is that true or is it show lol?

edit 2: are the classes curved or not? im seeing conflicted responses

Reactions: 5 users
on the validity of these claims. All of us on here are prospective students so we dont really know what to expect. I am also not from the area which i guess is a little alarming

my 2 cents after reading these posts- your going to bust your ass in med school regardless where you end up. Some places make life a little easier some make it harder but its up to you to make your path yourself. it sucks but thats the game you have to play. I reached out to a current 3rd year and they said they liked it so far. Can any other students comment on their experience?

edit: based on IG the dean Speights seems really involved is that true or is it show lol?

I have friends that go to "top tier" MD schools that have expressed a lot of similar concerns that were talked about on this thread (unhelpful administration, stringent grading policies, toxic environment, student suicides, etc.). I agree with your 2-cents, and think that many of the cons listed in this thread are unfortunately structural issues that are present in a lot of higher education institutions. I go to an undergrad that is relatively well liked and respected, and also faced a lot of the issues that were talked about in this thread. While I am grateful that people have been leaving (presumably) candid and honest reviews about the issues they faced at this school, I think its also important to remember that there people who enjoy and are doing well at this school as well. Individual experiences can be highly variable, so while its valuable to hear input from current/previous students, your journey will be unique.

(this response was not written to characterize or invalidate anyone's experience with the school, just wanted to provide my own take on the thread as someone who has had issues with school administration, academics, and other higher education things as well)

Last edited:

It’s not show. He’s from the area and wants to help. He has a lunch time meeting with all students at some point in the year, asks about where you’re from and what led you to medicine. He’s involved, but he is also involved in other things as well. Whether that affects his performance as Dean of the school is completely subjective, and quite frankly, irrelevant to us as students.

No matter where you go, work hard and get where you want to go.

I’d say my experience has been fine overall. Everyone has their issues with various parts of the school but that’s normal anywhere.

Typically, there is no curve in the classes. There is question removal after every exam based on the performance of the students per question, and this can alter the grade you calculated for yourself during the post-exam review. The entire first year class only received a 2% curve after the conclusion of the semester due to statistical variances of the overall average from the previous classes performance in that respective semester. This year’s first year class had a total of 3 pre comps (10% of total grade) and 3 comp exams (90% of total grade), which was different from previous years where they had 4 and 4. This is likely the reason for the difference in grades.

It’s not show. He’s from the area and wants to help. He has a lunch time meeting with all students at some point in the year, asks about where you’re from and what led you to medicine. He’s involved, but he is also involved in other things as well. Whether that affects his performance as Dean of the school is completely subjective, and quite frankly, irrelevant to us as students.

No matter where you go, work hard and get where you want to go.

I’d say my experience has been fine overall. Everyone has their issues with various parts of the school but that’s normal anywhere.

Typically, there is no curve in the classes. There is question removal after every exam based on the performance of the students per question, and this can alter the grade you calculated for yourself during the post-exam review. The entire first year class only received a 2% curve after the conclusion of the semester due to statistical variances of the overall average from the previous classes performance in that respective semester. This year’s first year class had a total of 3 pre comps (10% of total grade) and 3 comp exams (90% of total grade), which was different from previous years where they had 4 and 4. This is likely the reason for the difference in grades.
Does this mean there are 3 exams during the entire first year? Would that mean the exams are very long or are there more than 3?

Does this mean there are 3 exams during the entire first year? Would that mean the exams are very long or are there more than 3?
First semester was 3 exams, 125 questions each, that cover all aspects of what is learned during the block (Foundations of osteopathic medicine (FOM), Doctor-patient relationship (DPR), OMM, and Anatomy). Anatomy also has its own separate practical exam as well as OMM. You only have to pass the practical exams (> 70%). The 3 comprehensive exams are what your semester average and class standing is based on. FOM is basic sciences.

Second semester (principles and practices of osteopathic medicine 1 (PPOM 1) was 4 exams, 125 questions each, that also cover all aspects learned during the block. The first block has a neuroanatomy practical that makes up about 7% of the overall grade. PPOM 1 is Neuro, Psych, MSK, and Heme/Onc.

Third semester (PPOM 2) was 3 exams (125 questions each) and covered cardiac, renal, and pulmonology.

Fourth semester (PPOM 3) was 3 exams (125 questions each) and covered GI, endocrine, and reproduction. Only 3 exams because dedicated time for board prep studying starts at the end of April.

There are OMM practicals with every exam block and standardized patient encounters with most exam blocks.

So to answer your question directly, 7 exams your entire first year. The DPR and OMM questions can make your comprehensive exam scores easily increase if you just look at that material.

Edit: endocrine may be in PPOM 2 or 3, I can’t remember. But all the subjects are there. Also, when I say a subject such as cardiac, that includes: physiology, pathology, and pharmacology all intertwined together.

Last edited:
Is this the same for the NY campus?
Yes. NY and AR campuses get the exact same pre-recorded lectures and take the same exact exams. In fact, the score breakdowns include all 400+ students from both campuses and the class averages reflect that. However, in terms of your semester average that determines your class percentile, that is only based on your respective campus. So if you’re top 10% (Honors), that means you are only top 10% on the campus you attend.

Called yesterday to ask about any updates or information we may have not been emailed yet. I guess it lines up as expected considering the April 15th tuition deadline, but admissions said late next week at the very latest regarding decisions, for anyone that interviewed early March -- I asked about early March but probably applies to all with the deadline.

Because I needed to pass Step 1 and get my butt to rotations. That's my priority. I've been busy studying as I am a med student. Life goes quickly in medical school.

I never used SDN in the past except for reading posts. I never comment. But I took the time to write this out because I still want to share my experience. Even if it was in the past. NYITCOM-NY is the sister campus. NYITCOM-AR shouldn't have so many growing pains for a "one program-two locations" medical school. But they did.

I'm not saying people won't graduate and match from the school. They will. But the road and the journey sucks with this school.

There were three medical students that committed suicide during my time at NYITCOM-AR. One of them the night of a meeting with Dean Deal about his boards. The school didn't change anything except send out an email of condolences and the info to the counseling center.

Sure things can change, but with this school, personally, I don't have much hope.
As a current 2nd year, I want to be clear- there was 1 murder-suicide, and another was caused by his unknown heart condition + medications + Red Bull taken to stay up for an extended rotation shift.

Do NOT make claims like this without the facts. Did these terrible things happen, yes. It’s extremely unfortunate and we’ve (the students) had a call to action (for admin to act) and we got just that- an extension of counseling services for us students to surrounding clinics if we weren’t comfortable seeing a NYITCOM counselor, a second counselor was hired in addition to the one we had because of apparent need and creating spaces of support for students. Not only that, but when we requested a counselor of color to support the growing diversity within the school- we GOT JUST THAT! So the admins do listen to us if we come with solutions rather than complaints.

• Care
Are any current students on here familiar with applying for on-campus housing with A-State (The Village & The Circle). Could you explain the process, like do we need an A-State student ID? Because I just received an email saying the application will be open next Monday but I didn't have any info on how to or what is needed 🤷.

Are any current students on here familiar with applying for on-campus housing with A-State (The Village & The Circle). Could you explain the process, like do we need an A-State student ID? Because I just received an email saying the application will be open next Monday but I didn't have any info on how to or what is needed .

I didn’t get this email 🥲 but I did email the housing folks last week and they said that NYIT will send A-state everyone’s NYIT IDs and then A-State will use those to generate housing portals for us so that we can then apply for housing (which I believe the application for opens 4/14)

On another note, does anyone know why NYITCOM students pay a higher rate for housing at The Circle than regular graduate students ??

For the higher rate for NYIT students, the website says because ours are calculated per 6-month period. While for A-State students, it's per semester (less months).

For the higher rate for NYIT students, the website says because ours are calculated per 6-month period. While for A-State students, it's per semester (less months).

Completely missed that ! Thank you for clarifying that.

Do we have to submit our background check within a certain timeframe/can we wait till later in the application cycle? Will the background check be able to be transferred to another school if an acceptance was given elsewhere? Just trying to see how to go about this.

Do we have to submit our background check within a certain timeframe/can we wait till later in the application cycle? Will the background check be able to be transferred to another school if an acceptance was given elsewhere? Just trying to see how to go about this.
I don't think it looks bad to have multiple background checks. It isn't like a credit check.