2017-2018 Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the application complete email, 8/1. Everything was submitted on 7/19, just to put out timeline information for others wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the complete email as well. Getting an email from them unnecessarily made my heart race

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1, Low key thought it was an II as well and heart skipped a beat
They really need to stop putting "congratulations" at the start of emails!! I literally had to stop for a second too and be like oh.... I am just complete. LOL

II!! Oh wait... nvm... "just a complete" email... cmon Jeff don't scare me like that!

almost got in a car accident when I saw the notification

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah. My portal status has said complete for a few weeks and I just got the email as well. It's a new system for them, so who knows how timing will go with IIs and stuff this year.. Should be interesting.

Submitted 7/22 just got a completed email as well, everything has been checked off for at least a week now though.

Hopefully it means they're ready to move to the next phase and we'll all get IIs soon.. ;)

I emailed the SKMC.Admissions e-mail and asked them directly if my letters would be considered (I gave them a description of each of my letters) in lieu of their requirement. They'll either choose to permit them and email you a PDF waiver (which I assume you just keep) or tell you no.
Did everyone who emailed them receive a PDF waiver? I emailed and received a response saying my letters were acceptable, but no PDF.

Did everyone who emailed them receive a PDF waiver? I emailed and received a response saying my letters were acceptable, but no PDF.
No, I called they said they were fine, I asked if I needed to send in some sort of statement as to why they were different and was told not to worry about it, they are pretty flexible.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if it's normal to not have received a secondary yet?
Primary verified like the 12th

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if it's normal to not have received a secondary yet?
Primary verified like the 12th
Check your spam folder! I was worried about Jefferson since I didn't seem to get a secondary either but I randomly checked my spam folder and there it was (it had been sitting there for 11 days...yikes!). I am not sure why it happened for that one and none of the other secondaries, but it would be worth a try :)

Reactions: 1 user
Check your spam folder! I was worried about Jefferson since I didn't seem to get a secondary either but I randomly checked my spam folder and there it was (it had been sitting there for 11 days...yikes!). I am not sure why it happened for that one and none of the other secondaries, but it would be worth a try :)
nothing there. thanks though. good thing you caught that one before the 14 day deadline lol

nothing there. thanks though. good thing you caught that one before the 14 day deadline lol
Hi! Yes, it is completely normal. In fact, everyone does receive a secondary from Jefferson. It just depends on when you were complete and when they download your file off AMCAS. If you were completed a while ago (not in the last few weeks), then I would give them a call. But, it should definitely be coming your way soon!

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research, OOS but working for a year doing clinical research in philly if that helps?

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research, OOS but working for a year doing clinical research in philly if that helps?
Absolutely! Definitely give it a shot if you want to come here!

If we already emailed them regarding LORs, and received this in return:

Dear Applicant:
I am pleased to report that the letters you wish to supply in
lieu of the required letters are acceptable for application to
Sidney Kimmel Medical College.

AND

We prefer letters from a preprofessional committee, or letter
service provided by your institution.
If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by
individual faculty members (one each from Biology,
Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities, if possible).
If your circumstances prevent either of these options, please
submit a letter stating from whom we should expect
letters - three letters will be acceptable.

Do we still need to send in a letter describing what LORs we have? Or has this been taken care of by my previously sent email?

If we already emailed them regarding LORs, and received this in return:

Dear Applicant:
I am pleased to report that the letters you wish to supply in
lieu of the required letters are acceptable for application to
Sidney Kimmel Medical College.

AND

We prefer letters from a preprofessional committee, or letter
service provided by your institution.
If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by
individual faculty members (one each from Biology,
Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities, if possible).
If your circumstances prevent either of these options, please
submit a letter stating from whom we should expect
letters - three letters will be acceptable.

Do we still need to send in a letter describing what LORs we have? Or has this been taken care of by my previously sent email?

This should be perfectly fine! I would say, however, that if there are ever any doubts you have it is always a good idea to clarify and call the admissions office. The people there are very helpful and nice and they should be able to clarify any doubts that you have. But, like I said it should be ok!

Do we have to put an ACT score? I don't remember my breakdown but I didn't even get a good overall score anyway. Can I leave it blank? I don't see how it's important considering my MCAT score is competitive.

Also for the additional information box are people using that to plug in a diversity/why Jefferson hybrid essay?

Do we have to put an ACT score? I don't remember my breakdown but I didn't even get a good overall score anyway. Can I leave it blank? I don't see how it's important considering my MCAT score is competitive.

Also for the additional information box are people using that to plug in a diversity/why Jefferson hybrid essay?
SAT/ACT scores are just to gather data, so feel free to leave it blank if you don't remember your breakdown. And yup, I used it as a hybrid diversity/why Jefferson essay! :)

It seems like they didn't mark anyone complete before 8/1, right? Even if the secondary/LORs/etc were all in earlier, they just sent everyone the complete emails on the same day from what I've read here - so many of us are in the same timing boat. Hopefully we'll see more IIs soon!

It seems like they didn't mark anyone complete before 8/1, right? Even if the secondary/LORs/etc were all in earlier, they just sent everyone the complete emails on the same day from what I've read here - so many of us are in the same timing boat. Hopefully we'll see more IIs soon!
Received an email stating that I was complete on 7/27. Best of luck to everyone!

So if I have all green check marks in the application status, does that mean I am complete? I never received an official email saying that I am complete.

I received a complete email on 7/21.. fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!

They are going for URM first it seems. Congratz guys!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ii lizzy m 70, complete 7/28. oos

How do you know that??
Wouldn't read too much into that statement (or most theories) about how schools do things unless it's from someone who is attending (and working with admissions as a student) or otherwise has some knowledge about it for a particular reason. The process is very unclear from the applicant side. It's no clearer from a newly admitted side.

Also, generally speaking, it's a veeeerrrrryyyy long cycle. Those with early II's: great! Those without: it's still really early. We're just starting our second week, so still in the honeymoon phase, but this feels so much better than a year ago today when I was just becoming 'complete' at schools. Try not to callus your refreshing-finger.

Reactions: 6 users
Wouldn't read too much into that statement (or most theories) about how schools do things unless it's from someone who is attending (and working with admissions as a student) or otherwise has some knowledge about it for a particular reason. The process is very unclear from the applicant side. It's no clearer from a newly admitted side.

Also, generally speaking, it's a veeeerrrrryyyy long cycle. Those with early II's: great! Those without: it's still really early. We're just starting our second week, so still in the honeymoon phase, but this feels so much better than a year ago today when I was just becoming 'complete' at schools. Try not to callus your refreshing-finger.

Thank you for the wise words. Best of luck on the rest of post-admissions journey!

100% correct! This is an extremely long process and Jefferson does extend II's all the way to April! So, just wait for your time! I am sure it will happen for all of you!

Also, if anyone needs any advice for interviews or anything, please let me know! I would be more than happy to answer!

P.S. I am a medical student here for those who did not see my earlier posts!

Reactions: 6 users
Also, if anyone needs any advice for interviews or anything, please let me know! I would be more than happy to answer!

P.S. I am a medical student here for those who did not see my earlier posts!

Yes - anything you could share about interview style, prep, etc, would be fantastic!

Yes - anything you could share about interview style, prep, etc, would be fantastic!
Sure! The most important things to do:
1) Make sure to know your application inside-out
2) Make sure you can answer questions about any extracurriculars, volunteer work, research, and WEAKNESSES
3) It is CRUCIAL to be yourself. Let the interviewer get to know you! Definitely practice but do not sound robotic. Do not try to impress anybody. The reason you are invited is because admissions likes you already!
4) I am not sure if they are doing this this year, but enjoy the cookie hour at the end of the day!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Sure! The most important things to do:
1) Make sure to know your application inside-out
2) Make sure you can answer questions about any extracurriculars, volunteer work, research, and WEAKNESSES
3) It is CRUCIAL to be yourself. Let the interviewer get to know you! Definitely practice but do not sound robotic. Do not try to impress anybody. The reason you are invited is because admissions likes you already!
4) I am not sure if they are doing this this year, but enjoy the cookie hour at the end of the day!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

You mentioned being able to answer questions about weaknesses. Did you find Jefferson's interview tried to find weaknesses more aggressively than other interviews or was that more general advice?

You mentioned being able to answer questions about weaknesses. Did you find Jefferson's interview tried to find weaknesses more aggressively than other interviews or was that more general advice?
No not at all! It is a general warning that you need to be knowledgeable on all aspects of your app so that you are not thrown off guard if you are asked about it!

No not at all! It is a general warning that you need to be knowledgeable on all aspects of your app so that you are not thrown off guard if you are asked about it!

thinking about driving ~5 hours to philly for the interview. would i be better off just flying or is parking and everything worth saving the money in your opinion?

thinking about driving ~5 hours to philly for the interview. would i be better off just flying or is parking and everything worth saving the money in your opinion?
Parking is horrendous in Philly, not to mention the PPA waiting for your meter to run down so they can slap you with a ticket or tow you. I'd recommend flying

You could always park in a garage. Still going to be cheaper than flying and you don't have to worry about a ticket. Plus what with arriving at the airport early and waiting for baggage I'm not sure how far ahead you'll come out compared to a 5 hour drive. Also FYI Philly's airport is the absolute worst.