2017-2018 Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary question about SAT scores, I took the SAT when there were three categories out of 800 -- critical reading, math, and writing. I'm not sure how to fit those three scores into their verbal and math boxes. Just leave out writing?

Secondary received! Only question on the app is "Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered?" No specific character limit.

Secondary Received!

secondary received! Do they screen our primaries though?

For the secondary question about SAT scores, I took the SAT when there were three categories out of 800 -- critical reading, math, and writing. I'm not sure how to fit those three scores into their verbal and math boxes. Just leave out writing?
Yeah, I just put the critical reading score. My general experience has been that reading and math are all that most people care about :)
----
Also FYI to everybody, on the secondary application page it says:

To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks.

Just so everyone keeps in mind to submit within 2 weeks :)

I'm also glad that their fee is only $80... seems that I've had a ridiculous number of $100+ secondaries...

Yeah, I just put the critical reading score. My general experience has been that reading and math are all that most people care about :)
----
Also FYI to everybody, on the secondary application page it says:

To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks.

Just so everyone keeps in mind to submit within 2 weeks :)

I'm also glad that their fee is only $80... seems that I've had a ridiculous number of $120+ secondaries...
Thank you! I figured it wasn't a big deal either way, just a bit mystified since it's been a while since I thought about SATs. :rolleyes:

Secondary received! I am slightly worried about the SAT question. I took the SAT back when it was out of a 2400 scale and I really didn't do fantastic (above average by not by much). MCAT is fine. I wonder how this will impact my application...

Secondary received! I am slightly worried about the SAT question. I took the SAT back when it was out of a 2400 scale and I really didn't do fantastic (above average by not by much). MCAT is fine. I wonder how this will impact my application...

Ummmm...I took it when it was out of 1600

:oldman::oldman::oldman:

EDIT: Research reveals they returned the scale back to 1600. The old guard returns!

What do I use for the ACT "Verbal"? Just the ACT English or an average of English and Reading? (which for me results in a decimal...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary <3 some good news Lately after not getting any II

Reactions: 1 users
I just received my secondary and it says this "Individual Faculty letters (one letter from each required) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities" for the letters of rec. How strict are they about the letters? I only have 2 biology letters and 1 english letter.

I just received my secondary and it says this "Individual Faculty letters (one letter from each required) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities" for the letters of rec. How strict are they about the letters? I only have 2 biology letters and 1 english letter.
I just called and asked and they said it is not strict. I have two letters from bio, one from writing prof, one from volunteer coordinator, and one from work supervisor, and they said that was fine. In the box at the bottom of the page, it might not hurt to list your writers and the types just to make it clear.

Are the questions about SAT and ACT required? I took the ACT a decade ago and probably don't even have the records of my scores anymore.

I would also email them since on the Supplemental it says "If you are unable to supply the requested recommendations please indicate this in a letter addressed to the Director of Admissions and email to [email protected]."

Are the questions about SAT and ACT required? I took the ACT a decade ago and probably don't have the records of my scores anymore.

I did not submit either score and was fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just called and asked and they said it is not strict. I have two letters from bio, one from writing prof, one from volunteer coordinator, and one from work supervisor, and they said that was fine. In the box at the bottom of the page, it might not hurt to list your writers and the types just to make it clear.
Glad you were able to get a hold of someone, and glad about the answer....its been 10 years since I took physics, and the professor is no longer there....

Thanks for double checking that. I have one from bio, animal science, English, and two doctors I worked for so it sounds similar. I'm going to hope that covers it.

I emailed SKMC that I couldn't meet their letter requirements and got this response "If your circumstances prevent either of these options, please submit a letter stating from whom we should expect letters - three letters will be acceptable."

So I emailed that I had (2) science, (1) humanities/research, (1) work experience, and (1) volunteer letter, and got this response "I am pleased to report that the letters you wish to supply in lieu of the required letters are acceptable for application to Sidney Kimmel Medical College."

Idk if I'm supposed to submit 3 or 5, but I'm just gonna follow the second response and submit all 5. Hope that helps the confusion!

Anyone else's fee only $35? Idk why mine was, I didn't apply to any special program or anything.

Anyone else's fee only $35? Idk why mine was, I didn't apply to any special program or anything.

Did you press Yes in the bubble at the end right before payment? It drops the price to 35 but you have to send in proof of low income or something like that

Received & submitted! OOS (non-PA, non-DE). We shall see...

Great, thank you! I'll also include my two non-academic letters (one clinical and one non-clinical volunteering).

Thanks for double checking that. I have one from bio, animal science, English, and two doctors I worked for so it sounds similar. I'm going to hope that covers it.
Are you planning on emailing the director of admissions? I am in a similar predicament and I'm not exactly sure what to say in the email...

Are you planning on emailing the director of admissions? I am in a similar predicament and I'm not exactly sure what to say in the email...
I just emailed that I couldn't provide all the letters they asked for, and then listed the ones that I could provide. About 30 minutes later I got an email that said my letters were acceptable. I'm really impressed with the quick turnaround!

I just emailed that I couldn't provide all the letters they asked for, and then listed the ones that I could provide. About 30 minutes later I got an email that said my letters were acceptable. I'm really impressed with the quick turnaround!
No joke, they just returned my call after I left a message give or take an hour turn around....said I had 2 science letters and she said I was good to go, no explanation needed....love it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

For SAT and ACT "verbal" sections, do you think it wants the average of Reading and Writing or just Reading?

For the section on the secondary:

"The following type of recommendation letter(s) will be sent:
1) Health Professions Committee letters from College/University
2) Recommendation Packet compiled by (Pre-Med) Advising Office
3) Individual Faculty letters (one letter from each required) 1-Biology, 1-Chemistry, 1-Physics, 1-Humanities"

Do we check all that applies, or just one? My school does the first two, both a Committee Letter and Packet (so I was thinking to check both 1 and 2), but the third one is included in the Packet.

Are people putting anything in the extra info box?

Is it weird that they haven't received the letters if I sent them with my primary the first week of June?

recompense for my downward GPA trend in UG

Oh, got it. I always feel weird leaving things blank! Should I put a why Jefferson or is that try hard. Most questions kind of hint at whether they want you to write something or not by their wording, but this one isn't helping me at all.

Is it weird that they haven't received the letters if I sent them with my primary the first week of June?

Nah, It seems like their new application management system is still in the process of going live. They may be pulling letters from AMCAS in batches.

a lot of schools take a few days to "receive them" even if they have them already. They probably just haven't processed it as received yet. Don't worry.

Oh, got it. I always feel weird leaving things blank! Should I put a why Jefferson or is that try hard. Most questions kind of hint at whether they want you to write something or not by their wording, but this one isn't helping me at all.
Yea I'd go with why Jefferson or what you are doing this year if not still in school

Jefferson seems to appreciate clear interest in their program. If you have something to say -- about yourself, how you'd add to the community, interest in their curriculum/activities/student body, etc -- it wouldn't hurt. Don't just write something to fill space, but if you can provide more information that you think they would benefit from knowing (outside the PS and short activity descriptions)... why not? You don't get many opportunities to make an impression before you interview, and there are a lot of people throwing their hats in the ring.

Yea I'd go with why Jefferson or what you are doing this year if not still in school

Personally, I wouldn't write a "Why Jefferson" essay. They could've easily asked that as a question if they wanted to know. I'd probably use it more to explain gpa discrepancies or something of that sort

Personally, I wouldn't write a "Why Jefferson" essay. They could've easily asked that as a question if they wanted to know. I'd probably use it more to explain gpa discrepancies or something of that sort

Or just leave it blank. A lot of the more learned members on here actually recommend not doing optional essays because filling them out often doesn't add anything substantial and just elongates the review process.

Reactions: 2 users
Or just leave it blank. A lot of the more learned members on here actually recommend not doing optional essays because filling them out often doesn't add anything substantial and just elongates the review process.

I left it blank. I figure if I'm just trying to jam something in, it probably isn't meant to be there.

Ugh, every year people freak out about the SAT thing, and I wish they would just put on the application that the SAT is for research purposes only -- it does not affect your application.

Regarding the optional essay, I would personally recommend putting a short "why Jefferson" essay. They get 10K+ applications a year, and if you can say something meaningful, then it is worth it to do so early on.

Also just a plug for those that haven't seen it yet...

I'm a PGY-1 Jeff alum, so let me know if you have any specific questions.
I know it probably varies from year to year, but did you find your class to be pretty collaborative or was it a more competitive environment? My undergrad is full of pre-meds trying to sabotage each other's successes, so I'm trying to scope out a friendlier group for the next four years...

Nah, It seems like their new application management system is still in the process of going live. They may be pulling letters from AMCAS in batches.
Hi! Yeah like you said Jefferson does pull letters in batches! So if you have not received one yet (even if you already submitted your primary) do not worry. It's a long process so no worries!