2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my experience at the interview, there did seem to be a nice balance; the students said that their social lives were good, and that collaboration was a big part of the Pathways curriculum. All in all, if social life is a concern, then I wouldn't say students at Harvard are missing out.

...However, that being said, something about the atmosphere and students did seem...off? I don't know how to put it. Compared to the other "top" programs I interviewed at, they seemed a little high-strung (stressed, maybe?). Now obviously you're your own individual, and your experience in medical school is what you make of it. This was just my perspective, from one interview day, and in comparison to some other schools I've interviewed at so far. Your experience and others' may vary.
I think that your second point is part of what I'm concerned about. I know Harvard attracts some of the top applicants in the country and the world, but I also want the opportunity to form relationships with my peers and build a sense of community. Most of the schools I've interviewed at so far, the students really seemed to be enjoying themselves and making an effort to connect with each other outside of just being on the same career track. They play sports together, explore the city together, etc. and I'm curious to see if Harvard is like that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students speak to the social atmosphere here? This is obviously one of the top, if not the top, medical schools in the entire country. But do the students tend to get along well? Is there good work/life balance? Are there things like intramural sports, outings with the class, a collaborative environment, etc.

I think that your second point is part of what I'm concerned about. I know Harvard attracts some of the top applicants in the country and the world, but I also want the opportunity to form relationships with my peers and build a sense of community. Most of the schools I've interviewed at so far, the students really seemed to be enjoying themselves and making an effort to connect with each other outside of just being on the same career track. They play sports together, explore the city together, etc. and I'm curious to see if Harvard is like that too.

The administrative atmosphere is definitely a little different than other schools. My impression is that other medical schools attempt to simultaneously communicate great things about their program while getting to know you as an applicant. At Harvard, it seems as though the latter is emphasized whereas the former is a bit forgotten.

But students seem to be leading happy, well-connected lifestyles. Cambridge/Boston is a great place to explore and make new friends.

Reactions: 1 user
From my experience at the interview, there did seem to be a nice balance; the students said that their social lives were good, and that collaboration was a big part of the Pathways curriculum. All in all, if social life is a concern, then I wouldn't say students at Harvard are missing out.

...However, that being said, something about the atmosphere and students did seem...off? I don't know how to put it. Compared to the other "top" programs I interviewed at, they seemed a little high-strung (stressed, maybe?). Now obviously you're your own individual, and your experience in medical school is what you make of it. This was just my perspective, from one interview day, and in comparison to some other schools I've interviewed at so far. Your experience and others' may vary.
I agree with everything you said. It's really hard for me to say anything more concrete than "I got a weird vibe" throughout the day and that some students seemed to be on edge or hiding something. On the other hand, I didn't feel this at all during the flipped classroom sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any point in applying here now?

They don't do rolling admissions, you're still before the primary deadline, and they seem to spread out interviews over the cycle, so I'd say that it wouldn't hurt.

Pathways II this morning! Complete 7/18

Reactions: 10 users
Current MS1 here.

I think students feel stressed when we are about to have exams which we do every 3-4 weeks in the current block which is Foundations. Otherwise, even if we have prep work for class one night, people are really friendly and hang out especially in TMEC and Vandy. Not only is Boston fun and accessible, but students like to travel away or do things off campus together as well. I think compared to other medical schools we have a very vibrant student community because we see each other in class every day (most schools have optional lectures resulting in lower class attendance rates), have societies and clinical site placements, and we have affordable student housing across the street that 80% of first years live in (whereas other schools have students living all over the city). I found it very easy to get to know 95%+ of my class within just a few weeks.

Interview days are generally disorganized because everyone has different schedules to accommodate different schedules of the faculty interviewers. But they do a great job of welcoming you here later in the spring for revisit. The administration is very supportive and open to feedback. It's not hierarchical or domineering or careless at all. People are sometimes stressed because it's medical school and sometimes you have tests and work lol. I've had so much fun here and many people I know have too.

Just as a rule of thumb take your interview day as a snapshot or superficial first glance at a school. Obviously there are happy and unhappy peope everywhere. On interview days you pop in for a hot second. Who knows what else people you see on that particular day might be going through? Maybe a student is sick or had a bad break up. Maybe you don't jive with the personality of one person. But from the 10-15 people you see on an interview day you really can't judge a school completely - not just HMS but elsewhere.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS1 here.

I think students feel stressed when we are about to have exams which we do every 3-4 weeks in the current block which is Foundations. Otherwise, even if we have prep work for class one night, people are really friendly and hang out especially in TMEC and Vandy. Not only is Boston fun and accessible, but students like to travel away or do things off campus together as well. I think compared to other medical schools we have a very vibrant student community because we see each other in class every day (most schools have optional lectures resulting in lower class attendance rates), have societies and clinical site placements, and we have affordable student housing across the street that 80% of first years live in (whereas other schools have students living all over the city). I found it very easy to get to know 95%+ of my class within just a few weeks.

Interview days are generally disorganized because everyone has different schedules to accommodate different schedules of the faculty interviewers. But they do a great job of welcoming you here later in the spring for revisit. The administration is very supportive and open to feedback. It's not hierarchical or domineering or careless at all. People are sometimes stressed because it's medical school and sometimes you have tests and work lol. I've had so much fun here and many people I know have too.

Just as a rule of thumb take your interview day as a snapshot or superficial first glance at a school. Obviously there are happy and unhappy peope everywhere. On interview days you pop in for a hot second. Who knows what else people you see on that particular day might be going through? Maybe a student is sick or had a bad break up. Maybe you don't jive with the personality of one person. But from the 10-15 people you see on an interview day you really can't judge a school completely - not just HMS but elsewhere.

Can you please private message me I have some questions.
Thanks

Just to provide another data point, I interviewed here recently and I didn't feel any sort of weird vibe. All the students I met seemed very intelligent and accomplished but also very normal. I can't say this about some of the other highly-ranked schools I've interviewed at. It also seemed like it was a very low-stress environment and the only reason a student might be stressing about the preclinical years was bc they set high expectations for themselves. Overall, I went in to my interview a little skeptical of HMS. I questioned whether they would actually live up to their reputation. Upon arriving, I realized the faculty and students at HMS create this remarkable culture of greatness. In the end, I can honestly say that I was impressed. Now, all I have to do is keep my mind busy until March...

Reactions: 3 users
I would second @begoood95 on this one (very belatedly :p). Students I met were all super cool, loved their community of peers, and emphasized how responsive the school is to their needs... but they also seemed quite tense/high-strung. Possibly because I was there pretty early on and mostly met 1st years, perhaps there was an exam coming up, who knows. I'm aware it's only a small snapshot--and it definitely didn't make me less excited to be there :)--but it was something I hadn't felt at other schools. I might've left feeling differently if both my faculty interviewers hadn't seemed so disenchanted by the institution. One straight up told me they disliked Harvard but couldn't bear to give up the opportunities it provided them, which was pretty funny coming to hear from a interviewer. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
I forgot to ask on my interview day. Does anyone know HMS's policy on Thank You Notes?

Sorry guys for being a noob... but I thought Harvard gives a secondary to everyone who submitted primary. Are there two supplementary applications?

ha, I see, thx!

I think it took me three months to figure this out, so it's best to ask straight up front than wonder for so long :)

Reactions: 6 users
I did too, they are receptive and really nice about it, although I doubt with the huge applicant pool and extremely selective process its really something that will actually work out.

Did this end up working out for you?

Did this end up working out for you?
I sent an ITA email and they said they couldn’t accommodate requests, but when they offered an II the only dates available were the ones I requested lol

Any HST IIs since October began? I saw a lot of pathways II, but not as many HST II unless they didn't specify.

Does anyone who recently received an II know what interview dates they are currently filling?

What are the prospects of an international student with a LizzyM of 78?

What are the prospects of an international student with a LizzyM of 78?
academically you're good. It really comes down to your ec's. Even then, no one can really predict how top 10 admissions will go. Crapshoot with thousands of highly qualified applicants.

Anyone complete 8/30 II? I was, and have not heard a thing. Is it the beginning of the end? The end of the beginning?

Anyone know when the committee meets to make decisions post-interview?

Threw my app in here last minute as a hail mary. Does anyone know why it shows that they haven't received my letters of rec even though AMCAS has had my letter packet since beginning of August? All other schools I applied to have all shown that they had immediately received my letters. Is there some step I am missing here?

I emailed them about this and apparently it is some IT issue. They said they are working on it and that any letter received by 10/23 in AMCAS would be considered.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply!

II Pathways! Complete 8/25, LM 74.4. Dates available throughout November.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Lol 1st II and it's Harvard! Couldn't be happier.

Complete late September. Lizzy M ~75

Reactions: 14 users
Lol 1st II and it's Harvard! Couldn't be happier.

Complete late September. Lizzy M ~75
congrats!, just curious, with regards to other schools did you apply later in the cycle?

Just heard from a college buddy that it's way too early to count yourself out--even from Harvard. He's in his 2nd year and says they hold on to apps for a long time esp since they get soooo many. He got II in December...Dude calmed me down. Thought I'd share the love.

Reactions: 9 users
Just asked him. Late October. But he said guys like him heard earlier than him. No rhyme or reason. Don't try to figure it out. So many variables. Just don't count yourself out. If you have good stats and GPA, hang in.

2018 Applicant | aoGPA: 3.90| cumGPA: 3.95| bcpmGPA: 3.85|MCAT: 525| Verified: aug 30th|
MD: Primaries: 20 | Secondaries: 20 | II: 7| Accepted: - | Waitlist: - | Withdraw: - | Rejection: -
DO: None
NY Resident Traditional Applicant

Last edited:
this has been asked but not answered yet to my knowledge:
does Harvard do thank you notes specifically for interviewers and letters of intent?

Has anyone heard rejections from Harvard yet who was complete in August?

Has anyone heard rejections from Harvard yet who was complete in August?
From the HMS Admissions website:
"Early March - All admissions decisions are sent out via email on the same date, whether candidates are accepted, declined, or waitlisted."

My guess is that includes pre-II R's too.

From the HMS Admissions website:
"Early March - All admissions decisions are sent out via email on the same date, whether candidates are accepted, declined, or waitlisted."

My guess is that includes pre-II R's too.

A friend of mine who applied last year didn't get a rejection until mid march and she says that a lot of her friends didn't hear back until the same. But maybe @coffeeandcodeine or @CapuccinoCup123 have some insight?