2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
URM status is something that is taken into consideration in admissions, just like MCAT scores, GPA, ECs, etc. It is relevant information for many people and pussyfooting around the question is more patronizing than just asking it. OP wasn't being malicious in asking and attempting to reprimand them, even after they prefaced their post with their acknowledgment of the sensitivity of the question, is just downright pointless.

Yea buh I think the reason everyone got all riled up is cuz OP went straight for URM, instead of saying like is u poor, or are u missing an arm, or some other thing that might put the applicant's accomplishments into context. Like yea everybody know being URM helps, and we should be able to recognize that out loud, but at the same time to assume that's the reason someone got an II is kinda stigma producing, even if that wasn't OP's intention. But anyway who cares moving on *hearts and hugs to all*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea buh I think the reason everyone got all riled up is cuz OP went straight for URM, instead of saying like is u poor, or are u missing an arm, or some other thing that might put the applicant's accomplishments into context. Like yea everybody know being URM helps, and we should be able to recognize that out loud, but at the same time to assume that's the reason someone got an II is kinda stigma producing, even if that wasn't OP's intention. But anyway who cares moving on *hearts and hugs to all*

Oh oops I posted this before I saw we had already moved on. Please no one respond to me. <3 haha

Does anyone know Harvard's policy on online classes? One of the pre-reqs that I lack is Harvard-specific. I would hate to have to sign up for the class when the odds of anyone getting into Harvard are so low. Could I take the class online after I got in if I theoretically got in?
They tell you if you're missing a prereq after you're accepted. I wouldn't worry about it. Worse comes to worst, you can do a summer expedited class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be so prosaic, but Any new IIs? Complete Dates. ( indulge me one mo time)
There will be interviews running into January. There's an interview almost every day (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday). ~1000 people interview. It's such a crapshoot.

HOLYYYY just got an interview invite from HAVAAHHD MD PATHWAYS!

Complete: 7/25

Reactions: 14 users
I am trying to schedule for an interview here. Does anyone know if their review/admissions process is rolling? I know that all admissions decisions are notified in March, but I am not sure if the review process is rolling internally.

I am trying to schedule for an interview here. Does anyone know if their review/admissions process is rolling? I know that all admissions decisions are notified in March, but I am not sure if the review process is rolling internally.

I am almost certain that it is not.

Um.. I decided to review my submitted secondary (submitted back in august), but in doing so I noticed the diversity essay section was completely blank. I know I filled it out though before I submitted.... what... does...it...mean....

Does anyone know if there is a downloadable pdf version of our secondary on the portal somewheres?

Last edited:
Um.. I decided to review my submitted secondary (submitted back in august), but in doing so I noticed the diversity essay section was completely blank. I know I filled it out though before I submitted.... what... does...it...mean....

Does anyone know if there is a downloadable pdf version of our secondary on the portal somewheres?
There is no downloadable version, only what you see in the portal. Do you mean the essay for section E? It's not required, don't worry, although I understand that you'd want to write it if you have what to say.

I double-checked my secondary and noticed an error. I wrongly chose:

"I am submitting to AMCAS a packet of letters sent by my school or a third party vendor."

when in reality I should have chosen...

"I am submitting to AMCAS a pre-medical advisory committee letter/packet. (Additional individual letters are allowable, but not usual or necessary.)"

Will this be an issue?

Just check with the schools admissions offices

Members don't see this ad :)
They tell you if you're missing a prereq after you're accepted. I wouldn't worry about it. Worse comes to worst, you can do a summer expedited class.
That's what I was hoping! Thanks so much, I think I will drop the class then since chances are More likely that you don't get into Harvard than you do

That's what I was hoping! Thanks so much, I think I will drop the class then since chances are More likely that you don't get into Harvard than you do
Technically true of every med school....

Reactions: 1 users
Does Harvard send out rejections pre-II or is it all silence rejections until March?

Last edited:
II for Pathways just now! Complete 8/15 ish, LizzyM 78.

Reactions: 6 users
For those of you who got interviews already, what part of your application stood out to the admissions committee?

For those of you who got interviews already, what part of your application stood out to the admissions committee?
No way to know, really, unless our interviewers told us or something -- personally, neither of my interviewers had read my application (not because it's closed file, they just hadn't), so we just chatted.

Reactions: 1 users

I got the full court press on all of my ECs - research and otherwise. So hopefully they were impressed by them...?

What is the admissions process like after interviews?? How much do the interviews weigh to ‘weed’ out few hundreds interviewees? Any thoughts?

What is the admissions process like after interviews?? How much do the interviews weigh to ‘weed’ out few hundreds interviewees? Any thoughts?

I don't know about Harvard but a lot of schools use combined points system where your application Is given a score then your interview is also scored and both are combined before the committee deliberates on you

I don't know about Harvard but a lot of schools use combined points system where your application Is given a score then your interview is also scored and both are combined before the committee deliberates on you
Okay, I have heard that Harvard does it differently in that once your app is passed on to the committee after the interview, there is another committee that ‘crafts’ the incoming class, ie) 10% research superstars, 10%athletes,musicians,veterans, etc, from previous years’ threads, but I might be wrong.

I have a theory bordering on conspiracy that Harvard actually knows who they want to be in their class before they interview anyone. It's the only way my neurotic premed brain can understand why they reject so many people post II.

Reactions: 6 users
I have a theory bordering on conspiracy that Harvard actually knows who they want to be in their class before they interview anyone. It's the only way my neurotic premed brain can understand why they reject so many people post II.
Haha true that. I agree. But then whats the point of interviewing other candidates?

Haha true that. I agree. But then whats the point of interviewing other candidates?
Well, most schools I'd say know who they want before they interview. The interview is like another evaluation tool that complements the points you already have. If you're a horrid interviewee aka: socially awkward/give off creepy vibes/give off aggressive vibes etc then they cross you out even if they already kinda did want you.

If you're kinda low on their want list but come off extremely charismatic in the interview then they might be like "hey, he has potential" and you might get pushed forward in the want list.

And, if you're an average interviewee then chances are the interview wont hurt or help you and it'll just come down to where you ranked initially and if that is enough to make the cut or not.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, most schools I'd say know who they want before they interview. The interview is like another evaluation tool that complements the points you already have. If you're a horrid interviewee aka: socially awkward/give off creepy vibes/give off aggressive vibes etc then they cross you out even if they already kinda did want you.

If you're kinda low on their want list but come off extremely charismatic in the interview then they might be like "hey, he has potential" and you might get pushed forward in the want list.

And, if you're an average interviewee then chances are the interview wont hurt or help you and it'll just come down to where you ranked initially and if that is enough to make the cut or not.
Does that mean a FEW hundreds are expected to leave some awkward, bad impressions during the interview??

Does that mean a FEW hundreds are expected to leave some awkward, bad impressions during the interview??
No, no. You misunderstood. Most people fall into the average category. Some have great apps and do terrible which gets them crossed off, some have below average apps but perform great which gets them moved up enough to be accepted.

For the average interviewees, decision comes down to your application. For some, they had amazing applications so they get in anyway barring a horrible interview. For some, their applications were on the fence, a good interview gets them in. A lackluster interview gets them out. So they extended them (the vast majority of interviewees) an invite anyway in hopes that they could pick out the ones that are slightly more charismatic than the others. Think more leadership potential due to ability to present self and think well under pressure.

Reactions: 3 users
No, no. You misunderstood. Most people fall into the average category. Some have great apps and do terrible which gets them crossed off, some have below average apps but perform great which gets them moved up enough to be accepted.

For the average interviewees, decision comes down to your application. For some, they had amazing applications so they get in anyway barring a horrible interview. For some, their applications were on the fence, a good interview gets them in. A lackluster interview gets them out. So they extended them (the vast majority of interviewees) an invite anyway in hopes that they could pick out the ones that are slightly more charismatic than the others. Think more leadership potential due to ability to present self and think well under pressure.
Thank you! How do you know this? Is this just a speculation?

Its possibly speculation but I have interviewed people for other positions and this is often how I and other people I know rate others. So I wont be surprised if its true

Yeah, it's just speculation. It's just the only way I can understand the process from a systems point of view. I think for Harvard it gets even trickier because at some point 200-300 people really are equal in terms of their potential. So it just comes down to luck. Are there more policy focused applicants this year and less computer science focused applicants? In which case as the CS applicant you have a better chance of being selected for this year, but maybe on a different year you'd have less of a chance because theres more of you than policy focused applicants.

And another point of luck is how great you and your interviewer mesh together. School's usually try to put you with someone that you share interests with but you may really just not connect. Which unfortunately may sink your odds.

URM status, as you mentioned, should only matter to the institutions that are legally allowed to consider it in their admissions process (only the privates) and honestly not to Pre-Meds on a forum attempting to soothe their egos and neuroticism as to why a school has not chosen them, despite myriad other selection criteria.
Wait, so public medical schools aren’t legally allowed to consider URM status in admissions? Not saying you’re lying, but do you have a source?

Wait, so public medical schools aren’t legally allowed to consider URM status in admissions? Not saying you’re lying, but do you have a source?
What he said is NOT TRUE...published admission criteria for every state school I applied to says race and ethnicity can be used in their evaluation.

According to Fisher v. Texas, Grutter v. Bollinger, and other applicable Supreme Court Case law it is violative of the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the 14th Amendment for state actors (Public Schools) to reserve a particular number of seats, or to only select someone for admission based on their race.

Race may still be used in public school admissions, and the point system seen in the Grutter v. Bollinger case was approved (URM students may receive extra points) but they may not legally, and I'm sure they do not, use URM status as a per se indicator of admissibility, as the comments and inquiries on SDN would often have you believe.

My point was primarily that regardless of a school's considerations, it still shouldn't matter to us applicants.

Does HMS accept updates pre-interview? Can’t find this info anywhere.

Similar to @Red1993 I got an II for Pathways recently after being complete in August. I guess they're not going chronologically. :)

Stats - LizzyM in mid/high 70s.

I have heard that last year at the interview someone asked the dean about the number of candidates accepted post-interview, and the dean said 'about tree fiddy'=350.. How does that sound?

I have heard that last year at the interview someone asked the dean about the number of candidates accepted post-interview, and the dean said 'about tree fiddy'=350.. How does that sound?

That sounds a bit high to me. Someone on the faculty senate told me initial acceptance is around 220, with small waitlist movement each year. But I don't think 130 people worth.

That sounds a bit high to me. Someone on the faculty senate told me initial acceptance is around 220, with small waitlist movement each year. But I don't think 130 people worth.
can be broken down into: Pathways: 200/700, HST 50/150..perhaps?

Lol it depends, was the dean a giant crustacean from the paleolithic era?

Reactions: 2 users
Numbers we were told on my HST day (for HST only, I don't remember what we were told (if anything) for Pathways):
Maximum 160 interviews (8 days * max 20 interviewees/day)
About 40 acceptances. Very, very minimal waitlist movement.

200 for pathways seems about right, but I think it's more like 30/150 for HST from their YouTube video on admissions.
Update: Didn't see the above post before I posted.

I am absolutely in shock... just received an II today! Complete 9/24, II received on 11/17. LizzyM is 80+.

Reactions: 9 users