2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, throwing my hat in as well. Secondary received, currently working on the first question. If everything I did after graduation was in my primary app (MPH coursework, research, employment, clinical and non-clinical volunteering), should I go for brevity, or expand on them. I'm currently sitting at ~2100 characters already with 1-2 sentences per activity.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, throwing my hat in as well. Secondary received, currently working on the first question. If everything I did after graduation was in my primary app (MPH coursework, research, employment, clinical and non-clinical volunteering), should I go for brevity, or expand on them. I'm currently sitting at ~2100 characters already with 1-2 sentences per activity.

I think you absolutely need to expand on the MPH portion of this essay, and how it has put you in a better position to succeed at a school like Harvard.

For the first question, "If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation," I'm not taking a gap year but I've made significant progress in my research, including a first author publication, since I've submitted my primary app...
So I feel like I NEED to update them about something like this, all my other publications I am second author, and this one being first author and that I wrote it all myself really shows the development I've made as a clinical researcher, should I call them about this problem? Any current students have a say in this?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first question, "If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation," I'm not taking a gap year but I've made significant progress in my research, including a first author publication, since I've submitted my primary app...
So I feel like I NEED to update them about something like this, all my other publications I am second author, and this one being first author and that I wrote it all myself really shows the development I've made as a clinical researcher, should I call them about this problem? Any current students have a say in this?

I don't think it's a good idea for you to answer a question that they don't ask. If Harvard accepts pre-II updates, why don't you send one to them? Otherwise, I think that your previous publications are strong results of your research. Not having a first author publication on your application isn't going to be the reason they don't give you an interview. If they do give you an interview, bring it up then.

Reactions: 2 users
Prompts: @Lucca

D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

F. If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

3. Our interview season runs from mid-September through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

HST Only: The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists across the full spectrum of disciplines including biological, physical and engineering sciences. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and preparing students to solve unmet needs in medicine ranging from novel diagnostics and therapeutics to applications of ‘big data’ and systems engineering as they relate to healthcare. Please focus on how your interests, experiences and aspirations have prepared you for HST (rather than identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities). Limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12. (4000 char)
Is this for MD application?

I know most schools prefer to receive the secondary 2 weeks after you receive the invite, but is that still the case with Harvard since they don't have rolling admissions?

I'm graduating in August, should I use the "summarize your activities since graduation" box to say what I plan to do next year?

Does anyone know if Harvard's MD/PhD requires the GRE? On their website, it says, "While the MD-PhD Program does not require the GRE, most graduate programs will require this. We encourage our students to take the GRE to have the score on record when they need it." Does that mean it will be required eventually?
If it is required eventually, (I assume before application to the graduate program) could it be postponed until after (hopeful) acceptance?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Harvard's MD/PhD requires the GRE? On their website, it says, "While the MD-PhD Program does not require the GRE, most graduate programs will require this. We encourage our students to take the GRE to have the score on record when they need it." Does that mean it will be required eventually?
If it is required eventually, (I assume before application to the graduate program) could it be postponed until after (hopeful) acceptance?

Ok, not applying MD/PhD, but I am so with you on this - it would be a lot easier if you could get through your secondaries, etc. before studying. I hope someone has some insight!

Secondary received. For that 2nd essay question, I'm not sure if I should answer it. I do have something I'd like to share but it's certainly not a significant challenge or something that makes me disadvantaged. It does have to do with an ORM culture and has influenced my motivation for medicine. Should I include that essay here or just leave it blank? Super confused.
Are you guys verified yet? or do they send the secondaries before verificaation?

Are you guys verified yet? or do they send the secondaries before verificaation?

Harvard won't send you a secondary until you're verified. It says on MSAR they send secondaries to "all verified applicants."

For re-applicants, any opinion on the "what have you done since graduation" essay vs the "what have you done since the last application" essay? For me, the two stories are almost identical except that I have my senior year between the previous application and graduation. Should I explain as such in the text of one of the essays or should I just copy-paste?

For re-applicants, any opinion on the "what have you done since graduation" essay vs the "what have you done since the last application" essay? For me, the two stories are almost identical except that I have my senior year between the previous application and graduation. Should I explain as such in the text of one of the essays or should I just copy-paste?
I'm in your boat. I mentioned many of the same plans, but not verbatim, and for the reapplicant essay, delved into what I did in that final semester of college more so...before mentioning my plans for the upcoming year to develop as an aspiring physician and person

Members don't see this ad :)
This Harvard secondary makes me so happy. Why isn't every school like this. Looks like they use the primary very heavily in their decisions. Unlike those schools that make you restate everything

YES. Out of all schools that could justify being unreasonable with the secondary, Harvard would be at the top. But they keep it so reasonable. Competence and efficiency - love it.

Anyone else here want to join me in the "I don't really have much of a shot" club? My uGPA is subpar for Harvard, but sometimes schools like to collect unique people (unusual stories, etc) so... YOLO

Reactions: 6 users
YES. Out of all schools that could justify being unreasonable with the secondary, Harvard would be at the top. But they keep it so reasonable. Competence and efficiency - love it.

Anyone else here want to join me in the "I don't really have much of a shot" club? My uGPA is subpar for Harvard, but sometimes schools like to collect unique people (unusual stories, etc) so... YOLO

Baylor is also super reasonable

They are entirely optional, and won't apply to many applicants! I did answer the 'what have you been doing since graduation' question, even though it was addressed in my primary. I just wrote something short and concise since I described the details in my AMCAS activities.

Also, I'm an incoming MS1 and happy to answer questions from anyone about the application process! Good luck guys!! :)
I was wondering if you can give me some more insight on how strict HMS is with their LOR requirements. I have very strong letters from science faculty and PI's, but the issue is that they have not taught me in any of my classes. Should I still have them as my LOR authors?

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if you can give me some more insight on how strict HMS is with their LOR requirements. I have very strong letters from science faculty and PI's, but the issue is that they have not taught me in any of my classes. Should I still have them as my LOR authors?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think you should use them to fulfill the requirement of faculty letters who have taught you, but include them as additional letters if they will contribute positively to your application. You can also call the admissions office directly and ask about their LOR requirements. I have done this at numerous schools.

Unless you're applying HST :arghh: Was not expecting this essay because it hadn't shown up on previous threads!
I'm just now catching up on this thread and also considering HST but not sure yet... thought I was done with this one but I guess not :(

Last edited:

D. If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

E. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)

F. If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

3. Our interview season runs from mid-September through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

HST Only: The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists across the full spectrum of disciplines including biological, physical and engineering sciences. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and preparing students to solve unmet needs in medicine ranging from novel diagnostics and therapeutics to applications of ‘big data’ and systems engineering as they relate to healthcare. Please focus on how your interests, experiences and aspirations have prepared you for HST (rather than identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities). Limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12. (4000 char)
Is this for MDor Md-PhD? Thanks

There are people reporting II on the interview tracker doc...

Probably the 4.0/520 folks?
Eh maybe...but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that HMS starts pretty late with their II's, something like September. I could be wrong, and I don't know why anyone would lie on an anonymous data sheet, but I'd say that if it's true then these people are an exception to the rule.

If you look at the sheet, one of the people allegedly has a 1.90 and a 490, so that doesn't exactly inspire feelings of validity...

Reactions: 6 users
MSAR says that IIs aren't sent out until September. Don't believe everything you see on a message board.

I know. I just got too excited for a tiny second. Back to forgetting about this thread for August at least

Reactions: 1 user
There are people reporting II on the interview tracker doc...

Not an applicant here, but am the perpetrator of said Tracker Doc. There are some troll posts on there, esp. for Harvard, so I apologize for the immature.

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know how strict the LOR reqs are? I'm thinking of submitting one science rec instead of two. Also do they really want one from every PI? I have two PIs submitted, but I also have a HS research PI that I got a publication from. I theoretically could ask her to dust off my college LOR and submit?

can anyone provide more info about the hst program? Is it four years? Would it even be worth applying with 0 pubs (but decent amount of research exper ifne( and below average stats for Harvard?
Look up the first two questions for yourself. And nobody can say if you omit exact numbers.

Can you also share A, B and C?

Thanks

Can you also share A, B and C?

Thanks

Those are just questions where you check off which programs you're interested in (New Pathways and/or HST, MD or MD/PhD) and a note to combined degree applicants. Not much to do there!

Those are just questions where you check off which programs you're interested in (New Pathways and/or HST, MD or MD/PhD) and a note to combined degree applicants. Not much to do there!
Thank you!

do you guys know what it means by "missing reference" next to a letter writer's name?

do you guys know what it means by "missing reference" next to a letter writer's name?

It sounds like they don't have the letter yet. If you know its been more than a couple of days since the letter was submitted, I would call admissions to see what's up.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it shooting oneself in the foot to just assume none of the essays apply? Looking at that last optional essay I wonder if I even have good reason to fill that out. I have my "diversity" stuff but none of it fits the bill for examples given in the prompt.

Is it shooting oneself in the foot to just assume none of the essays apply? Looking at that last optional essay I wonder if I even have good reason to fill that out. I have my "diversity" stuff but none of it fits the bill for examples given in the prompt.
Nope, it doesn't hurt to leave optional prompts blank. In fact, the admissions committee may be happy to have less to read. Many (perhaps even most) applicants don't answer. Only answer if applicable.

You'd be shooting yourself in the foot by answering a question that doesn't apply.

They are entirely optional, and won't apply to many applicants! I did answer the 'what have you been doing since graduation' question, even though it was addressed in my primary. I just wrote something short and concise since I described the details in my AMCAS activities.

Also, I'm an incoming MS1 and happy to answer questions from anyone about the application process! Good luck guys!! :)

Hi! I was wondering what your cGPA was? Thanks

MSAR says that IIs aren't sent out until September. Don't believe everything you see on a message board.

Interview invites start coming out August 22 and the first interview day is September 11 for HMS.

Reactions: 1 users