2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D-30

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all. I wasn't able to observe a class during my interview day.

If any of you have strong opinions (positive or negative) on the PBL curriculum after sitting in on a class, would you mind sharing them with me? Feel free to PM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I wasn't able to observe a class during my interview day.

If any of you have strong opinions (positive or negative) on the PBL curriculum after sitting in on a class, would you mind sharing them with me? Feel free to PM.

Thanks!

Would also like to hear thoughts from someone who sat in.

Reactions: 1 users
Wish Harvard also sends out likely letters like Mayo...

Reactions: 5 users

Man you and I might be highly ranked at Mayo (and assumedly competitive applicants), but I don’t think either of us would enjoy seeing the superstars that Harvard would rank as ‘highly ranked’ haha!

Last edited:
No way, that thread is a cesspool of anxiety and neuroticism. Honestly I feel like it kinda reflects poorly on their school. I’d like to remain here in my ignorant bliss, thinking I have just as good a shot as everyone else!

Reactions: 11 users
I like to think that each of us stood out for some reason or another to our readers and that's why the interviewed us here. I really have all my top 10 eggs in the H basket so im super anxious about this decision, but it seems to me (based on the fact that I got an II here and not at hopkins, stanford, ucsf etc), that harvard looks beyond the cookie cutter premed "superstar." we should all be proud to have gotten to this stage, don't let anyone make you feel like you don't deserve it!

Reactions: 22 users
I like to think that each of us stood out for some reason or another to our readers and that's why the interviewed us here. I really have all my top 10 eggs in the H basket so im super anxious about this decision, but it seems to me (based on the fact that I got an II here and not at hopkins, stanford, ucsf etc), that harvard looks beyond the cookie cutter premed "superstar." we should all be proud to have gotten to this stage, don't let anyone make you feel like you don't deserve it!

You. I like you. You can be my doctor anytime :)

Reactions: 6 users

Appreciate the kind thoughts :) In all honesty, I’m personally just trying to remain realistic, considering only <25% of us at this point in the game will succeed. I have no doubt that everyone who interviewed here is more than qualified to become a physician, and I’m honored to have been interviewed, but only a select few of us will get in. I don’t know where I fall in the pile of applicants but I’d be even more overjoyed to be selected.

You. I like you. You can be my doctor anytime :)

Appreciate the kind thoughts :) In all honesty, I’m personally just trying to remain realistic, considering only <25% of us at this point in the game will succeed. I have no doubt that everyone who interviewed here is more than qualified to become a physician, and I’m honored to have been interviewed, but only a select few of us will get in. I don’t know where I fall in the pile of applicants but I’d be even more overjoyed to be selected.
This thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. You’re all great. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I've gone though waves of the total freakout obsession phase, and its just not sustainable IMO. We still have a while before decisions come out (anyone else guessing Friday, March 2nd?) and its unhealthy and overwhelmingly untrue to think we will only have succeeded this cycle if we get into Harvard. It's dumb! The country and world needs more than 165 physicians/researchers, and everyone with an MD degree from a US school is poised to make a serious difference (and living ofc) regardless of the bougie affiliates of their med school institution. I don't mean to sound preachy, I just know the toll the waiting is having on my mental health, especially with IIs basically over elsewhere, and hope I can make people know they're not alone.

Reactions: 4 users
I've gone though waves of the total freakout obsession phase, and its just not sustainable IMO. We still have a while before decisions come out (anyone else guessing Friday, March 2nd?) and its unhealthy and overwhelmingly untrue to think we will only have succeeded this cycle if we get into Harvard. It's dumb! The country and world needs more than 165 physicians/researchers, and everyone with an MD degree from a US school is poised to make a serious difference (and living ofc) regardless of the bougie affiliates of their med school institution. I don't mean to sound preachy, I just know the toll the waiting is having on my mental health, especially with IIs basically over elsewhere, and hope I can make people know they're not alone.

I was thinking March 2nd as well. I know exactly how you feel though. I’ve had days over the past few months thinking there’s no way I won’t get in - then there’s others where I think I’m probavly at the bottom of the interview pool. In reality, it’s petty in the grand scheme of things, but I’m glad we’re almost there. I’ve done my best to learn how to bide my time with other things (PS4, Netflix, School, etc.) to help forget about this whole process!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love all of this. So optimistic! The fact that we have an interview means that we are Harvard caliber. I'm sure they'd accept everyone if they had the room/money/space/time. They could take any combo of 165 students from the interview pool, and they'd have a class they can rave about.

And yes totally +1 to looking beyond cookie cutter pre-med.

Reactions: 2 users

honestly needed to hear this today! in the same boat with this interview but silence from UCSF/Stanford/Hopkins

thank u kind soul ^-^

Reactions: 2 users
Any thoughts on sending a pre-decision Letter of Intent since I’m sure I would attend HMS if admitted? I’m assuming it holds little-to-no weight but wanted to hear thoughts on pros/cons. Thanks!

I may just be paranoid, but I mailed my thank you cards to the admissions office but never got confirmation from them that they had been received. I know it arrived at the office because the envelope I used was trackable. Has anyone received confirmation for a mailed thank you card?

I may just be paranoid, but I mailed my thank you cards to the admissions office but never got confirmation from them that they had been received. I know it arrived at the office because the envelope I used was trackable. Has anyone received confirmation for a mailed thank you card?

Nope!

I wouldn't worry. I haven't gotten one reply back from all my thank you notes across all my interviews, except from an thank you email to my interviewer here.

Any thoughts on sending a pre-decision Letter of Intent since I’m sure I would attend HMS if admitted? I’m assuming it holds little-to-no weight but wanted to hear thoughts on pros/cons. Thanks!

I think as long as your content is substantive and specific, it can't hurt - admissions committee members are humans, too.
That being said the committee members have already started discussing, so I would just hold off until you hear something (e.g. waitlist)

Anyone have a rough idea of how these meetings are working this month? Ie when/how many?

Anyone have a rough idea of how these meetings are working this month? Ie when/how many?
For the past ~6 years they've released decisions on the first Friday of March, so we'll likely found out March 2nd. I'd assume they meet regularly between the end of interviews and then - there's some speculation on how they make decisions earlier in this thread based on something that an applicant from a previous years interviewer told them, but I don't think it was ever confirmed.

Did y'all feel that Harvard felt less stats focused than other schools and holistic in their approach? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part... (Still feeling like they invited me by mistake).

I agree - they must be looking at something more than the other tops did, I feel honored to have gotten an interview

More like two weeks!

Did y'all feel that Harvard felt less stats focused than other schools and holistic in their approach? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part... (Still feeling like they invited me by mistake).

Nah, Harvard is very numbers based. Every school has exceptions to the rule but looking at the majority of people who got interviews here, majority of them had killer stats.

For example, a Lizzy M score of "70", which is considered a "bad score" by SDN standards. puts you at a 3.8 gpa and a 512 mcat. A 3.8 and 512 are solid numbers by most (real people) standards. I have yet to see someone on this thread report an interview invitation to Harvard with a LizzyM of less than 69. I Interviewed here and my Lizzy M was around 69 - 72 and I wouldn't say Harvard is holistic.

I think people who are saying Harvard is "holistic" are in denial or are exhibiting severe symptoms of imposter syndrome. Show me someone with a LizzyM of 63- 67 with 2.5 - 3.0 years of a post-baccalaureate, solid MCAT, upward trend, great research, and a overcoming adversity get an interview here and I will change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
just got an email from admissions that I hadn't submitted my SSN.. oops. But anyway, the last line of the email was that they had concluded interviews and that decisions would be sent the first week of March

Reactions: 7 users
c4jt321.png

Reactions: 8 users
just got an email from admissions that I hadn't submitted my SSN.. oops. But anyway, the last line of the email was that they had concluded interviews and that decisions would be sent the first week of March

Same here, got a little excited just seeing an email from them that doesn't say 'regret' or 'unable'.

Reactions: 4 users
So week of march 4th? Plz let them define it as the week of Feb 25th since march starts that week.

Nah, Harvard is very numbers based. Every school has exceptions to the rule but looking at the majority of people who got interviews here, majority of them had killer stats.

For example, a Lizzy M score of "70", which is considered a "bad score" by SDN standards. puts you at a 3.8 gpa and a 512 mcat. A 3.8 and 512 are solid numbers by most (real people) standards. I have yet to see someone on this thread report an interview invitation to Harvard with a LizzyM of less than 69. I Interviewed here and my Lizzy M was around 69 - 72 and I wouldn't say Harvard is holistic.

I think people who are saying Harvard is "holistic" are in denial or are exhibiting severe symptoms of imposter syndrome. Show me someone with a LizzyM of 63- 67 with 2.5 - 3.0 years of a post-baccalaureate, solid MCAT, upward trend, great research, and a overcoming adversity get an interview here and I will change my mind.

Lizzy M of a 64 checking in with an interview invite. I'm below 10th percentile across the board. Checking off all those points you listed. I have a very unique background , nontraditional with decent mcat (not great). We will see if I get accepted. I'm posting for future ppl to know it is possible (to at least get an interview). My interviewers had no issues with my scores and focused on my story and what I brought to table. The committee may view my app differently, however.

Reactions: 12 users
Lizzy M of a 64 checking in with an interview invite. I'm below 10th percentile across the board. Checking off all those points you listed. I have a very unique background , nontraditional with decent mcat (not great). We will see if I get accepted. I'm posting for future ppl to know it is possible (to at least get an interview). My interviewers had no issues with my scores and focused on my story and what I brought to table. The committee may view my app differently, however.
Y

Amazing!! Congrats.

If you get an acceptance, you are legend!

my thoughts exactly. I think it's going to be March 2nd. Technically that's the first week that March touches.
I’ll be the devils advocate and say that I think it’s March 4th since it’s technically the first week to begin in March but what’s two days after this long process.

I know a bunch of non-trad students and others who have gone through a lot of adversity to get an interview here / get in here. It's not all numbers dude. Lol. Numbers are important but there are bigger forces at play.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

No me. But first, of all, I am not bitter. I'm just calling the BS of the medical school application game as I see it. It is this process that contributes to the toxicity of the medical school environment and the medical profession as a whole.

See, I can easily look the other way and say "oh yeah, this process is fair and I think a school like HMS made the right decision by interviewing me over someone else". I benefit from the process but I am also contributing to the problem. That's easy and lazy.

OR I can call this process out on it BS and raise awareness. A school will say they are "holistic", meanwhile, they will use numerical cutoffs or your alma mater as criteria to assess your candidacy. This contributes to the toxicity of the medical school environment.

As you may or may not know, physician and medical student suicide is a real thing and much like this, most people and institutions tend to brush it under the rug. The process continues and it becomes a rat race for the 4.0/520 MCAT while throwing the humanistic aspect of medicine to the side. We have fostered this hyper-competitive environment where students are and physicians are put under immense stress but forced to smile, because, well, that's just the way it is. Physicians and medical students will continue to kill themselves and wallow in depression. Because, well that is just the way it is.

If you are silent and comply, you're just as guilty as the perpetrator...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread was so positive and supportive.. let's bring it back to that.

No me. But first, of all, I am not bitter. I'm just calling the BS of the medical school application game as I see it. It is this process that contributes to the toxicity of the medical school environment and the medical profession as a whole.

See, I can easily look the other way and say "oh yeah, this process is fair and I think a school like HMS made the right decision by interviewing me over someone else". I benefit from the process but I am also contributing to the problem. That's easy and lazy.

OR I can call this process out on it BS and raise awareness. A school will say they are "holistic", meanwhile, they will use numerical cutoffs or your alma mater as criteria to assess your candidacy. This contributes to the toxicity of the medical school environment.

As you may or may not know, physician and medical student suicide is a real thing and much like this, most people and institutions tend to brush it under the rug. The process continues and it becomes a rat race for the 4.0/520 MCAT while throwing the humanistic aspect of medicine to the side. We have fostered this hyper-competitive environment where students are and physicians are put under immense stress but forced to smile, because, well, that's just the way it is. Physicians and medical students will continue to kill themselves and wallow in depression. Because, well that is just the way it is.

If you are silent and comply, you're just as guilty as the perpetrator...

I hear you. I think your points are valid and that we should question the end game here. Is there really a difference between a 520 and a 513 in terms of being a good physician? If it makes you feel better, I got into a top 20 with my LizzyM so I think some schools do look at the package (tho I'd argue some would like to see it be just a numbers based system and wouldn't see my acceptance as a "good" thing). Let's just wait and see how Harvard turns out in just a few short days! One day this will just be a bad dream.

For those who sat in on classes at Harvard, can you share your opinion on their learning style, particularly the PBL-type structure?

For those of you who think Harvard is just numbers my friend is a first year with a 3.5 GPA from a liberal arts school and a 514 MCAT. He is a URM though. I would say Harvard has high standards for numbers, but they definitely are not centered around numbers like Vandy, NYU or WashU.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who think Harvard is just numbers my friend is a first year with a 3.5 GPA from a liberal arts school and a 514 MCAT. He is a URM though. I would say Harvard has high standards for numbers, but they definitely are not centered around numbers like Vandy, NYU or WashU.
I agree that Harvard is a story based school, not stats based. But in your example, your friend has pretty high stats for a URM. A person I know got a 511 on the MCAT and now attends NYU.

12 days until March 2nd, which is the day I'm guessing we hear back. Wish I could speed time up...

Interviewed several months ago. I think I never had the post-interview apprehension for decisions since the decision date was so far away. But the nerves are starting to kick in a little, not going to lie. This is similar to what it felt like when MCAT Results day was approaching! Best of luck to everyone here.

You realize that there are applicants who fall under the URM designation and are high stat applicants, right?
I realize this.

The point was that the person I was replying to implied that a 514 was a low stat applicant and Harvard took them in and therefore is evidence of their holisitic selection process, while other number based schools like NYU would have not admit their friend who scored a 514. But, I think a 514 is on the higher end of stats for someone who designated themselves as a URM and therefore cannot be used as a good example of Harvard's holistic process.