2017-2018 Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everyone! my secondary was complete on 8/10 and i have no heard anything from this school... anyone else on the same boat?
same, been complete since 8/2

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Received the rejection email early this morning! Received the official 'application complete' email on August 5th, for those that might want a timeline. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the rejection email early this morning! Received the official 'application complete' email on August 5th, for those that might want a timeline. Good luck to you all!
Sorry to hear that :/ Do you mind sharing your stats so I can gage what their cutoffs are

Sorry to hear that :/ Do you mind sharing your stats so I can gage what their cutoffs are

It's no problem at all! I've gotten multiple IIs and an acceptance from one of my top choices under my belt:) So I don't feel comfortable giving out my exact stats, unfortunately, but I could give you a general range of what they fall in, if that helps any! If so, feel free to PM me!

Current 3rd year here also willing to answer questions as needed. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today :( first DO rejection! Oh well, good luck to yall!

Rejected today :( first DO rejection! Oh well, good luck to yall!
Im sorry, do you mind sharing your stats or range to see what their cutoffs are? & good luck on your other schools!

Im sorry, do you mind sharing your stats or range to see what their cutoffs are? & good luck on your other schools!
GPA average for school, MCAT below average for school, URM, thanks!

Last edited:
Where are the main rotation sites for CCOM? Are they all over the place or mainly in Chicago? I can’t seem to find a recent list and any help would be appreciated!

hey guys, so i'm interviewing october 23 but I see that people who got invites after me are scheduled earlier.. considering calling CCOM and asking for an earlier interview date, but will it make a difference since the admissions committee meets at the end of the month anyways?

hey guys, so i'm interviewing october 23 but I see that people who got invites after me are scheduled earlier.. considering calling CCOM and asking for an earlier interview date, but will it make a difference since the admissions committee meets at the end of the month anyways?
If you can get one earlier, it might be worth it. The admissions director said we should hear back in 2-3 weeks (I interviewed on the 3rd), but no later than the 31. So if you can do within the next couple of weekend might be better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current 3rd year here also willing to answer questions as needed. Good luck to all!
Hey!

I was recently accepted and have a host of questions for you.
1-Did you use outside resources studying for class or primarily slides from class for M1/M2?
2-Did you supplement with extra materials? (if so what were they & how did you decide?)
3-Did you live on campus or off? (how's the commute if off)
4-Did any of your friends/colleagues do dual degree programs? (If so how was the process to be approved for one?)

Thank you for your assistance!

Where are the main rotation sites for CCOM? Are they all over the place or mainly in Chicago? I can’t seem to find a recent list and any help would be appreciated!
Chicagoland area mostly

Hey!

I was recently accepted and have a host of questions for you.
1-Did you use outside resources studying for class or primarily slides from class for M1/M2?
2-Did you supplement with extra materials? (if so what were they & how did you decide?)
3-Did you live on campus or off? (how's the commute if off)
4-Did any of your friends/colleagues do dual degree programs? (If so how was the process to be approved for one?)

Thank you for your assistance!

1. Not really. The note packets are pretty comprehensive and teach you what you need for the exams. Less is more.
2. In second year, you can add in Sketchy, Pathoma to your liking. Some people will have different opinions about what you need and when. You'll just see what ends up working best for you.
3. Off campus - you can live in any number of different apartment complexes near campus (10-15 min drive). I chose to live further away for personal reasons (30-45 min drive). It's all up to you and your circumstances i.e. if you're living with family, SO who has a job somewhere else in the metro area, etc.
4. Don't believe CCOM is currently offering any dual degree programs. I remember our dean mentioned at one point that they might initiate some, or that maybe you could do one if you set it up on a case by case basis, but I have no idea if anyone has tried.

I have an interview this week at CCOM! Does anyone have general advice on how to prepare? I'm equally excited and nervous

I have an interview this week at CCOM! Does anyone have general advice on how to prepare? I'm equally excited and nervous
Just be prepared to expand on anything you’ve written on your CV and secondaries. Also, be yourself. The interviewers just want to see how you’d fit

Question for current students: is it likely that they will offer any scholarships/tuition reductions to select incoming students?
CCOM is my #1 DO choice, but $68,000 is SO MUCH for tuition ($20,000 more per year than my #2 DO choice).
If it wasn't for that hefty price tag I honestly would have probably paid my deposit already.

Question for current students: is it likely that they will offer any scholarships/tuition reductions to select incoming students?
CCOM is my #1 DO choice, but $68,000 is SO MUCH for tuition ($20,000 more per year than my #2 DO choice).
If it wasn't for that hefty price tag I honestly would have probably paid my deposit already.
Right? I'm accepted to AZCOM, and its the primary reason I am debating on accepting another program. The projected indebtedness according to the school is $375 - 440k. That's just bonkers.

They said they are offering four or five scholarships for incoming students that are 10,000 dollars each. They also have institutional scholarships but I am not sure if they are for incoming or returning students. I interviewed last week and I liked the school, but that tuition is pretty dang high. It would cost me twice as much as other schools.

I'm having similar thoughts as well. At another interview the financial aid person said that for every $1 you take out in loans, you can expect to pay $2-3 back over the life of the loan. To go to CCOM/AZCOM would cost an additional $160K-$240k depending on how you go about repaying.

IS and haven't heard anything from this school. Is it normal for CCOM to take a long time to hear back?

There are scholarships to which you can apply for. That said, you shouldn’t let tuition be the deciding factor if this is your top choice school. Yea, our tuition is high, but that’s paying for the great rotation sites in the city and also because it’s a private institution. At the end of the day, you’re going to be a doctor and you will make money to pay off your loans. It might take longer, sure, but if your heart is set on the school and you want to be in Chicago, who cares?

No. I don't know of any of my classmates who received a scholarship based on stats or anything. They just opened applications for random small scholarships, but they won't really make a dent in the COA. If you're into OMM, you can apply to be an OMM scholar and I believe they pay for your clinical years. That's about it though.

There are scholarships to which you can apply for. That said, you shouldn’t let tuition be the deciding factor if this is your top choice school. Yea, our tuition is high, but that’s paying for the great rotation sites in the city and also because it’s a private institution. At the end of the day, you’re going to be a doctor and you will make money to pay off your loans. It might take longer, sure, but if your heart is set on the school and you want to be in Chicago, who cares?

I agree that it shouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor... However, since I come from a low-income family I feel like it's definitely something that needs to be considered because I want to make financially responsible decisions. Not only is the tuition ~$20,000 more, but since the school is in the Chicago area the cost of living will be 2X as much.

However, it is a very nice school and area. 200 students per year take on that debt and presumably are able to pay it back. I definitely need to visit my top 2 choices again before making any final decisions.

Cancelled my II, hope it goes to someone here still waiting

Reactions: 1 users
IS and haven't heard anything from this school. Is it normal for CCOM to take a long time to hear back?

They sent me a II almost 7 months after my application was complete last cycle, whereas others heard back in about a month or two. It really varies, so just try and be patient, and hopefully they'll reach out to you soon!
best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Does CCOM offer substantial financial aid, living stipends or big scholarships to a lot of students? I have an interview scheduled here but I've been accepted to DMU-COM. I'm very on the fence about attending or cancelling it because though CCOM's location (and probably clinical sites) is superior, I'm not sure if that's enough to beat DMU-COM's $20,000 cheaper price tag if I get accepted here.

Reactions: 2 users
Does CCOM offer substantial financial aid, living stipends or big scholarships to a lot of students? I have an interview scheduled here but I've been accepted to DMU-COM. I'm very on the fence about attending or cancelling it because though CCOM's location (and probably clinical sites) is superior, I'm not sure if that's enough to beat DMU-COM's $20,000 cheaper price tag if I get accepted here.

Financial aid, yes.

Anyone have a more informative match list than what CCOM publishes on their website?