KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Self pay?

Yeah I saw that in the waitlist email they sent last night… not sure who can self pay med school tuition lol

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I saw that in the waitlist email they sent last night… not sure who can self pay med school tuition lol
I believe you may also seek private loans elsewhere besides Sallie Mae, which would fall under the "self pay" category. I was told they worked out some kind of program or deal through Sallie Mae

I believe you may also seek private loans elsewhere besides Sallie Mae, which would fall under the "self pay" category. I was told they worked out some kind of program or deal through Sallie Mae
Yeah but since they are not eligible for Fasfa, alot of other third parties won’t give you loans.

Otherwise discover had a great one😩

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the waitlist, best bday gift ever!!! Wishing everyone else on the WL good luck & excited to meet my future classmates here soon!
Congrats! My birthday is coming up soon and I'm hoping for an A as my gift too lol

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got off the waitlist, best bday gift ever!!! Wishing everyone else on the WL good luck & excited to meet my future classmates here soon!
Congrats!! When did you interview?

Got in off the waitlist today! For those of you still waiting, keep grinding! It’s all worth it!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted today! I was about to send in my primary for the next cycle haha..

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone that was taken off the waitlist, did you write a letter of intent? If you don't feel comfortable sharing in the group, you can message me. I am just curious.

Question for anyone that was taken off the waitlist, did you write a letter of intent? If you don't feel comfortable sharing in the group, you can message me. I am just curious.
Kind of! I wrote them an email with my updated grades, explained how they support my academic upward trend, and then I added what I liked about the school and that if they accepted me I would definitely attend. And then I got an acceptance the next day!

Kind of! I wrote them an email with my updated grades, explained how they support my academic upward trend, and then I added what I liked about the school and that if they accepted me I would definitely attend. And then I got an acceptance the next day!
Thanks for sharing

I wrote something similar like in May and nothing 😂

• Sad
I'm really sorry to hear that. There are 98 admitted students right now and not sure if they're planning to admit anymore because orientation is in 4 days. But hope you all get acceptances somewhere!! This was my second cycle applying for med school btw

I'm really sorry to hear that. There are 98 admitted students right now and not sure if they're planning to admit anymore because orientation is in 4 days. But hope you all get acceptances somewhere!! This was my second cycle applying for med school btw
I thought they were only going to have 85 students. It sounds like they went quite a bit over

Is there still possibility of a little bit of movement on the waitlist this week? Like for a few seats?

Is there still possibility of a little bit of movement on the waitlist this week? Like for a few seats?
I got an email from Adam Dean last week and he said that sometimes people do not show up the first day for orientation and that would be the only way anyone gets off the waitlist at this point. He told me it has happened a handful of times in the 13 years he’s been in med school admissions.

I got an email from Adam Dean last week and he said that sometimes people do not show up the first day for orientation and that would be the only way anyone gets off the waitlist at this point. He told me it has happened a handful of times in the 13 years he’s been in med school admissions.
Really, like they get accepted elsewhere and dont show up i assume. But thats interesting, did he mention why that is the only way for one to get off the WL?

Really, like they get accepted elsewhere and dont show up i assume. But thats interesting, did he mention why that is the only way for one to get off the WL?
Sometimes they get accepted somewhere else. Sometimes they just straight up decide not to show up. The class is full. At this point the only way to get off is someone else decides they don’t want to go. I’m not sure if that answered your question or not.

So the school posted on insta that all 91 students showed up today. Over for us on the waitlist basically.

So the school posted on insta that all 91 students showed up today. Over for us on the waitlist basically.
Ooooo thats tough to hear. Better luck next cycle! Best of luck to everyone here tho!

Can anyone speak on how orientation is going? I need to decide if I want to reapply.

Can anyone speak on how orientation is going? I need to decide if I want to reapply.
The bread and butter or long-winded edition? The short version is that thus far it's going well, though many students are iffy about a certain faculty member who happens to be almost... condescending? Doesn't help that he is in a high position within admin. Might just be his way of expressing worry about us and wanting us to succeed, idk. Oh and, school still has no Title IV funds because apparently the government has been slacking and the school sent their app 2 yrs ago and kept getting empty meaningless responses when prodding. They are hopeful that they will get them next year or so it seems.

The bread and butter or long-winded edition? The short version is that thus far it's going well, though many students are iffy about a certain faculty member who happens to be almost... condescending? Doesn't help that he is in a high position within admin. Might just be his way of expressing worry about us and wanting us to succeed, idk. Oh and, school still has no Title IV funds because apparently the government has been slacking and the school sent their app 2 yrs ago and kept getting empty meaningless responses when prodding. They are hopeful that they will get them next year or so it seems.
Oh wow. That truly sucks about the faculty member. Do you mind telling me more, you can PM me. Are a lot of students worried about funding? I am super worried as private loans are a big deal to take out compared to government funds. I worry that this school will not get government funding until they graduate first class. Idaho COM still does not have it I believe even though they are fully accredited now.

Oh wow. That truly sucks about the faculty member. Do you mind telling me more, you can PM me. Are a lot of students worried about funding? I am super worried as private loans are a big deal to take out compared to government funds. I worry that this school will not get government funding until they graduate first class. Idaho COM still does not have it I believe even though they are fully accredited now.
I'm not entirely sure about the Idaho COM situation though from what we were told, the last step in the hurdle for Title IV at the moment is an in person site visit from a government agent in order to verify that the school exists and not some sort of money sink scheme. Take from that what you will. Seems that a majority of the students at the moment are having a laugh about the exorbitant interest rates, especially when they invited a guest speaker who was saying 6.7% interest rate on federal loans was highway robbery when Sallie Mae was giving the average student 9-11% lol.

I'm not entirely sure about the Idaho COM situation though from what we were told, the last step in the hurdle for Title IV at the moment is an in person site visit from a government agent in order to verify that the school exists and not some sort of money sink scheme. Take from that what you will. Seems that a majority of the students at the moment are having a laugh about the exorbitant interest rates, especially when they invited a guest speaker who was saying 6.7% interest rate on federal loans was highway robbery when Sallie Mae was giving the average student 9-11% lol.
Oh my god lol. So yeah not applying again. I have fairly good mcat and GPA and am going to take my chances else where. Honestly this school does not seem worth the trouble.

I honestly think it will take a lot to get government funding but once your in and done first year it will be harder to leave.

I honestly think it will take a lot to get government funding but once your in and done first year it will be harder to leave.
Definitely. We the students seem to have the sentiment that these are "advanced growing pains" so to speak. A lot of us are hopeful in the success in the school owing to the fact that I'm pretty sure they've got more to lose than us in terms of financials if they are denied accreditation due to a uhh... failing class.

Definitely. We the students seem to have the sentiment that these are "advanced growing pains" so to speak. A lot of us are hopeful in the success in the school owing to the fact that I'm pretty sure they've got more to lose than us in terms of financials if they are denied accreditation due to a uhh... failing class.
Their debt would go away if they file bankruptcy, yours will not. It doesn't matter though, that won't happen.

Also ICOM took longer because they are for profit and needed to wait to be fully accredited. This school can start the process now because they are not for profit.

Also ICOM took longer because they are for profit and needed to wait to be fully accredited. This school can start the process now because they are not for profit.
First year ICOM here. At orientation they told us it usually takes (maximum) 12 months to get FASFA after applying

Any updates from those first years at KansasCOM Re: financial aid being finalized yet?

Financial Aid got Finalized and looks like KansasCOM has the FAFSA code posted on their website.

Hello everyone. My University has a 3+4 program with KCOM. I can gain automatic admission to this school after my 3rd year of undergraduate as long as I have completed the required courses and have a 3.25 GPA. I will not be required to take the MCAT to be admitted through this program. I wanted to get the thoughts and opinions of others on whether this would be worth it or not. Thanks!

Hello everyone. My University has a 3+4 program with KCOM. I can gain automatic admission to this school after my 3rd year of undergraduate as long as I have completed the required courses and have a 3.25 GPA. I will not be required to take the MCAT to be admitted through this program. I wanted to get the thoughts and opinions of others on whether this would be worth it or not. Thanks!
I would not, bet on yourself and try to go to an MD school it will make your life much easier.