KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that they over-accepted Beyond the 85 slots that they’re allowed to have for their first year. This meant that some people who are accepted couldn’t actually put down their deposit apparently until other people dropped….
That's crazy. And disappointing.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that they over-accepted Beyond the 85 slots that they’re allowed to have for their first year. This meant that some people who are accepted couldn’t actually put down their deposit apparently until other people dropped….
This kinda makes sense because nobody in this thread has been accepted recently. Some people in here withdrew their acceptance after they waitlisted everyone, but you don't really see anyone saying they got an offer.

That's crazy. And disappointing. Makes me feel like us late interviewees have no shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I got placed on the WL. I got sent the email 2 weeks ago, but I just checked my spam folder because I was wondering why it was taking so long, and there the email was. Kind of annoying that it got labeled as spam. Here is to hoping for an A, as it's my last chance for this cycle. Good luck everyone :)

• Care
Interviewed 4/23, was put on the waitlist a while ago. They said they are full right now :(

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I just was able to put down my deposit after being officially accepted on March 21st and then not being able to put down a deposit…because they’d run out of seats.

Talked to head of admissions and he said they expect to see quite a bit of movement in the immediate future. Apparently they get a list of everyone who is holding multiple deposits and supposedly by June 1st those peeps gotta pick one and drop the others.

Chin up people! There’s hope yet!

Hope to meet some of you there in person this fall.

Reactions: 3 users
Just
I just was able to put down my deposit after being officially accepted on March 21st and then not being able to put down a deposit…because they’d run out of seats.

Talked to head of admissions and he said they expect to see quite a bit of movement in the immediate future. Apparently they get a list of everyone who is holding multiple deposits and supposedly by June 1st those peeps gotta pick one and drop the others.

Chin up people! There’s hope yet!

Hope to meet some of you there in person this fall.
out of curiosity why did you choose here and not PCOM?

I was really really struck by how much I felt I connected with the interviewers at both Kansas COM and NOVA KPCOM. My Kansas COM interview experience was by far the best of all of my interviews, which really surprised me as I expected the more established schools to be the most impressive.

As a brand new school Kansas needs to make a splash and succeed with the inaugural class. I liked that they talked about wanting to improve medical curriculum and teaching, focused on empathy as well as teaching students to use the technology available to us and to be adaptable (an increasingly imperative need yet existing schools don’t focus on this).

I felt they were really aligned and really focused on this mission. The professors that I met were very engaging. Our interview conversations were compassionate and wholehearted. I feel like I could become the best doctor I can be, not just in terms of science, but in terms of my my humanity and capacity to best serve my patients if I learn in this kind of environment.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m sure snarky poster. I’m a non traditional who became a cancer widow five years ago when in the beginning of my premed post bacc program my late spouse was diagnosed with of prostate cancer in fall 2017, so I took a leave of absence from my program to take care of him. After his death I handled the probate then went back and finished premed post bacc. It may have taken a lot longer than originally planned but I know it has made me a more compassionate and understanding person and this will make me an even better doctor.

You might want to look into life experiences deepening your compassion, FWIW. Good luck being a wise ass.

• Care
I’m sure snarky poster. I’m a non traditional who became a cancer widow five years ago when in the beginning of my premed post bacc program my late spouse was diagnosed with of prostate cancer in fall 2017, so I took a leave of absence from my program to take care of him. After his death I handled the probate then went back and finished premed post bacc. It may have taken a lot longer than originally planned but I know it has made me a more compassionate and understanding person and this will make me an even better doctor.

You might want to look into life experiences deepening your compassion, FWIW. Good luck being a wise ass.
Thank you for sharing your journey despite the insensitive comment. Its hilarious cause you only have three years on that “guy” with a 7 year membership….They could be admissions too 😂 I am sure they were joking but the tone was not well received. As a fellow non-traditional student your story is inspiring to never give up on your dreams. I am also sorry for the loss of your late husband. If given the chance, I look forward to the possibility of working along side someone as passionate about medicine as you are.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like they made a post implying they have a full class already with 85 students… was expecting this but does suck for us people on the waitlist..
Edit: I am still hoping to come off of this waitlist!!

On a side note:

Since it is Accepted Students Day at KansasCOM, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all the accepted students!! I hope all of you have a great time at this new facility and bring great change to Kansas!
Wait who made a post saying that?

On Facebook, “Kansas health science center” page, stated that they invited all 85 students to their Accepted Students Day.

I really hope that this is not the case and that people on the waitlist will still be able to get in!
Oh okay, me too. I guess it’s possible if ppl drop out last minute for another school…

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure this is the case for new MD schools, don't know if DO schools have the same policy. But with new MD schools they are not allowed to over accept their class. They have to have the number of deposits equal the amount of seats they have, they can't go over at any point in application cycle. Established schools are able to accept 2-3x their class size, knowing people will turn their seat down. Also why some schools have APS.

On Facebook, “Kansas health science center” page, stated that they invited all 85 students to their Accepted Students Day.

I really hope that this is not the case and that people on the waitlist will still be able to get in!
I just read it on its FB page. My heart. 💔

• Care
Haven’t heard anything yet, I’m not sure how much movement to expect

Has anybody not heard anything regarding waitlist movement? I want to ask but kinda nervous they will get frustrated with me or something.

We had a new student join our GroupMe today who said they were accepted off of the waitlist
Glad to hear that there is some waitlist movement, hoping to hear some good news and wishing the best of luck to all!

A number of new people on our accepted students GroupMe just got in off the waitlist this week.

• Care
Has anyone thats been interviewed in april been pulled off the waitlist or has it been people who interviewed earlier?

Did anyone who got off the waitlist at another school decide on that school over KCOM? Or did anyone who got off the waitlist pick KCOM? I want to hear your reasoning. Feel free to dm if not comfy posting
I was really really struck by how much I felt I connected with the interviewers at both Kansas COM and NOVA KPCOM. My Kansas COM interview experience was by far the best of all of my interviews, which really surprised me as I expected the more established schools to be the most impressive.

As a brand new school Kansas needs to make a splash and succeed with the inaugural class. I liked that they talked about wanting to improve medical curriculum and teaching, focused on empathy as well as teaching students to use the technology available to us and to be adaptable (an increasingly imperative need yet existing schools don’t focus on this).

I felt they were really aligned and really focused on this mission. The professors that I met were very engaging. Our interview conversations were compassionate and wholehearted. I feel like I could become the best doctor I can be, not just in terms of science, but in terms of my my humanity and capacity to best serve my patients if I learn in this kind of environment.
This was the reasoning one of the people had posted on the previous pages

I was called on Monday and offered an acceptance off of the waitlist but I declined. I was accepted elsewhere over a month ago and have already committed.

I hope one of you awesome people received that offer! KansasCOM was probably my best interview, where I was accepted was a close second

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hey, is there any way I could get into contact with the admissions office, I emailed them on Wednesday with no response, I also called them and nobody picks up. Could somebody help me out.

so i looked up this place on google earth, and it is showing me some small building in some parking lot in some run down looking area. is this supposed to be the campus?

• Haha
Hey, is there any way I could get into contact with the admissions office, I emailed them on Wednesday with no response, I also called them and nobody picks up. Could somebody help me out.

I’m having the same issue. I have called and left voicemails, I’ve emailed several times too. Not really sure what else we can do at this point

so i looked up this place on google earth, and it is showing me some small building in some parking lot in some run down looking area. is this supposed to be the campus?
The address for the campus building is 230 E. William Street. You'll be able to see the building probably but not much else since the inside looks very different from the outside

I’m having the same issue. I have called and left voicemails, I’ve emailed several times too. Not really sure what else we can do at this point
Perhaps try this number and see where it takes you? +1.316.866.3482

Perhaps try this number and see where it takes you? +1.316.866.3482
I actually got a call back from the admissions office and they answered all my questions. They apologized and said that they have just been having high call volume so email may get a quicker response now.

I actually got a call back from the admissions office and they answered all my questions. They apologized and said that they have just been having high call volume so email may get a quicker response now.
Did they say anything about the waitlist?

Did they say anything about the waitlist?

I asked how it works and they said that when a spot opens up, the committee gets together and chooses someone off the waitlist to replace them. But they weren’t able to disclose any details about the criteria used to determine who gets the A. All I was told is that the committee decides and no one knows the criteria other than them.

I also asked when they plan to finalize the class by and they said they don’t know yet. But, they could be sending acceptances any time before the start of classes.

I asked how it works and they said that when a spot opens up, the committee gets together and chooses someone off the waitlist to replace them. But they weren’t able to disclose any details about the criteria used to determine who gets the A. All I was told is that the committee decides and no one knows the criteria other than them.

I also asked when they plan to finalize the class by and they said they don’t know yet. But, they could be sending acceptances any time before the start of classes.
😮‍💨

Just got off the waitlist today at around noon for the another school!! Beyond excited!!!!! Glory to God!!! Anything is possible!!! I will be withdrawing from waitlist. Good luck to anyone still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just got off the waitlist today at around noon for the another school!! Beyond excited!!!!! Glory to God!!! Anything is possible!!! I will be withdrawing from waitlist. Good luck to anyone still waiting!
CONGRATULATIONS! Been following you for a while bc we interviewed at the same schools. So proud

• Love

What school did you accepted into? If you don’t mind me asking?

CONGRATULATIONS! Been following you for a while bc we interviewed at the same schools. So proud
Thank you! Oh yeah definitely remember seeing your screen name on the chats :) Thank you!!

The school hasn't been approved for Title IV yet so if you get called off the waitlist you have to either self-pay or go through Sallie Mae for Private loans.

• Wow
The school hasn't been approved for Title IV yet so if you get called off the waitlist you have to either self-pay or go through Sallie Mae for Private loans.
Self pay? 😂