2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary a week ago and got the email this morning.

Stats:
GPA: 3.58
MCAT: 495 (LOL) but however, my experiences in the medical field/ letters/ personal statement or whatever probably made them forget that I had a terrible MCAT score

Haha I feel very hopeful! When was your primary verified?

Members don't see this ad.

do they accept letters of rec through aacomas
I agree, even for Question 30:
"30. Volunteer Experience
Please add any significant volunteer, community service and/or mission experience not previously listed on your AACOMAS application. Provide the organization name, hours per week and duration of experience as well as a brief description of your involvement."

Why would you not list a significant volunteer experience in your AACOMAS?
I mean, I put all my volunteer experience in AACOMAS, So this section is pretty much blank as well... ANy thoughts?

some people started new experiences after submitting their primary

Reactions: 1 user
II! ARCOM’s admissions is super friendly incase anyone needs to speak with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was verified 7/20 and I just received their secondary a few hours ago. It only takes 10 minutes to fill out the app and submit it. I got a notification the day after I got verified saying ARCOM received my primary and would review it for a possible secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you heard nothing from the school for 6 months? That is reassuring.

I submitted 7/13 and have not heard anything.

s3.08/c3.18 MCAT 509

I think they'll probably do things a bit differently this cycle. I feel like they were a bit too selective in the beginning (not a sly to those who were accepted later) and then kind of scrambled toward the end to fill the class. I think pretty much everyone who was on the waitlist was pulled off of the waitlist (including myself) and some were even called and offered an acceptance in June who had been rejected post interview. I think they may be a bit more generous in who they'll interview this time around instead of being so selective. What I think actually happened is that they initially focused too much on raw scores and not enough on the rest of the application because it seems like a lot of people from my class were interviewed later in the cycle. This is all speculation though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I think they'll probably do things a bit differently this cycle. I feel like they were a bit too selective in the beginning (not a sly to those who were accepted later) and then kind of scrambled toward the end to fill the class. I think pretty much everyone who was on the waitlist was pulled off of the waitlist (including myself) and some were even called and offered an acceptance in June who had been rejected post interview. I think they may be a bit more generous in who they'll interview this time around instead of being so selective. What I think actually happened is that they initially focused too much on raw scores and not enough on the rest of the application because it seems like a lot of people from my class were interviewed later in the cycle. This is all speculation though

can you tell us any low scores or gpas that you know got into your class? or is it to early to get a feel for your class's average?

So you heard nothing from the school for 6 months? That is reassuring.

I submitted 7/13 and have not heard anything.

s3.08/c3.18 MCAT 509

And I don't mean to say that those in my class have poor scores because they don't. I believe the class is right around the average for matriculating osteopathic students

can you tell us any low scores or gpas that you know got into your class? or is it to early to get a feel for your class's average?

I can only speak for myself because I just don't know specific scores, I only know what they've disclosed and that is that the class is competitive with other osteopathic students. I was very grateful, however, that they ended up looking beyond the scores because my MCAT was very low but had a great GPA (above average), heavy and competitive undergrad courses, lots of ECs, great LORs, and a really good personal statement. I think the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your app because it really gives them their first impression as to whether or not you fit their mission

There were plenty of sub 500 MCATs accepted last year. A lot of waitlist movement, as was stated above, late in the cycle occurred and should be expected this year. UAMS is the instate MD school and sends out acceptances starting in February, and the waitlist movement at ARCOM seemed to pick up drastically after that time.

I'm a Fort Smith native who was accepted at ARCOM (attending elsewhere). Super excited for the school though and will be happy to answer any questions about the area that you all may have as the cycle progresses! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question:

Did you guys directly reply to the email to confirm an interview date? There doesn't seem to be a portal or anything for ARCOM.

submitted primary at beginning of July, received both secondary and interview invite on 7/27. I'm a 502, 3.5s, 3.6c, with a deal of healthcare experience. super pumped about the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
What was ARCOM's secondary like?

No essay questions. Mostly, you are filling out your criminal background (I hope not), family members' information such as their education, your basic information, etc.

Pretty stress free and it would probably take your 10-20 minutes to fill it out. Good luck on your applications!

II, OOS. They have a crazy fast turnaround time! How is everyone preparing for you interview?

ARCOM received my primary on 7/28, what's typically the secondary turnaround time?

ARCOM received my primary on 7/28, what's typically the secondary turnaround time?

The school works pretty fast. Received secondary on a Monday after submitting on previous Friday. Interview invite 2 days later.

Any Canadians receive a secondary? Primary submitted June 21. 3.4/3.4/512

For those who received II, did you get a confirmation when you replied with the the date you wanted the interview? I responded that I wanted to interview for one of the dates, but they have not sent me anything back. Should I give them a call?

I submitted my primary for this school on 07/13/2017 but have not received a secondary. Has it taken anyone else this long to receive a secondary? At what point is it appropriate for me to inquire? I have heard never, but also know that sometimes "blips" occur and it takes reaching out to make progress.

My GPAs are above 3.0. MCAT 509

For those who received II, did you get a confirmation when you replied with the the date you wanted the interview? I responded that I wanted to interview for one of the dates, but they have not sent me anything back. Should I give them a call?
I emailed them of what date I wanted (8/25!) and they emailed me back the confirmation of my interview date.

When did you send the email? It usually takes them a day to email back. They sound really excited about having new students at ARCOM!

I submitted my primary for this school on 07/13/2017 but have not received a secondary. Has it taken anyone else this long to receive a secondary? At what point is it appropriate for me to inquire? I have heard never, but also know that sometimes "blips" occur and it takes reaching out to make progress.

My GPAs are above 3.0. MCAT 509

I may have submitted a touch later, but with similar stats and OOS, and I have yet to receive a secondary.

II!! August 18th, first med school interview so not sure how to prepare or what to expect... any advice?

For current students, is there anything at all that concerns you guys about your school?

II, OOS. They have a crazy fast turnaround time! How is everyone preparing for you interview?

II!! August 18th, first med school interview so not sure how to prepare or what to expect... any advice?

Our interview last year was very laid back. They really want to get to know you as a person to see if you would be a good fit for the school. I'm not sure if it is the same this year, but our interviews were closed file, and they did not ask me for specific stats. Just make sure you have down the basics (why DO, why medical school, why ARCOM) and go from there. Be comfortable with your answers and figure out an interesting way to let them know what kind of person you are - stand out as an applicant and let them know that you actually researched about ARCOM and know details about the school!

For current students, is there anything at all that concerns you guys about your school?

Honestly, no. We just started on Monday with our orientation week, so it is hard to say a lot yet. Of course, I was a little upset to see that we have mandatory lecture and business casual dress code at first, but I think I was starting to be negative because of SDN and other anonymous forums online. I've taken a long break from this site and others because naturally, people will complain more online than they will praise. I don't think I would have ever had any negative thoughts about my decision if I hadn't read these things online. I've lived in scrubs for the past few years, and honestly the dress code is not bad. I am also not worried about the mandatory attendance because the way that they have explained TBL so far has made it seem like it will be very active learning in lecture and not just sitting there having professors drone on about things you haven't learned about yet. Also, it's not like we are in class from 9-5 every day.

As far as being a brand new school, we have so much community support behind us, and the faculty is all outstanding and have come from various other medical schools around the country. They all want nothing but for us to succeed, and they have made it very clear that they are there beside us 100% throughout our time at ARCOM.

I feel kind of stupid asking since I couldn't seem to find many people ask about it but do we need to actually write out previous criminal history? Question 37 asks if we have had any criminal charge but 38 just seems like a blanket statement basically saying don't lie and not asking you anything.

I've had several speeding tickets so I have to say yes to their question but I don't have any idea the exact number or dates (all but one were >10 years ago).

I feel kind of stupid asking since I couldn't seem to find many people ask about it but do we need to actually write out previous criminal history? Question 37 asks if we have had any criminal charge but 38 just seems like a blanket statement basically saying don't lie and not asking you anything.

I've had several speeding tickets so I have to say yes to their question but I don't have any idea the exact number or dates (all but one were >10 years ago).
Are speeding tickets a "criminal charge"?

could you do a background check on yourself and see if they come up? I've had speeding tickets when I was a teenager but they aren't on my record (they go off the record after 3 years here). They also weren't any more than a simple traffic violation so no misdemeanor charge.

Are speeding tickets a "criminal charge"?

could you do a background check on yourself and see if they come up? I've had speeding tickets when I was a teenager but they aren't on my record (they go off the record after 3 years here). They also weren't any more than a simple traffic violation so no misdemeanor charge.

Most schools only mention misdemeanors or worse which speeding tickets are not (in Texas at least). However, ARCOM specifically states that speeding tickets are counted in their criteria. Only parking infractions are not included.

I don't think I'll do a background check on myself unless they request specifics.

Most schools only mention misdemeanors or worse which speeding tickets are not (in Texas at least). However, ARCOM specifically states that speeding tickets are counted in their criteria. Only parking infractions are not included.

I don't think I'll do a background check on myself unless they request specifics.
Ohh ok I didn't realize they specifically include speeding tickets (strange?), do they allow elaboration on the "crime" committed that you must confess "yes" to in the original question? I'd like to be able to say decades ago I sped on an empty highway :).

II received this morning! First one! OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Any Canadians receive a secondary? Primary submitted June 21. 3.4/3.4/512
I am Canadian but still waiting for secondary. Emailed them to ask and they said my application is under review. I appliedon May 4th and verified May 6th..

Our interview last year was very laid back. They really want to get to know you as a person to see if you would be a good fit for the school. I'm not sure if it is the same this year, but our interviews were closed file, and they did not ask me for specific stats. Just make sure you have down the basics (why DO, why medical school, why ARCOM) and go from there. Be comfortable with your answers and figure out an interesting way to let them know what kind of person you are - stand out as an applicant and let them know that you actually researched about ARCOM and know details about the school!

Honestly, no. We just started on Monday with our orientation week, so it is hard to say a lot yet. Of course, I was a little upset to see that we have mandatory lecture and business casual dress code at first, but I think I was starting to be negative because of SDN and other anonymous forums online. I've taken a long break from this site and others because naturally, people will complain more online than they will praise. I don't think I would have ever had any negative thoughts about my decision if I hadn't read these things online. I've lived in scrubs for the past few years, and honestly the dress code is not bad. I am also not worried about the mandatory attendance because the way that they have explained TBL so far has made it seem like it will be very active learning in lecture and not just sitting there having professors drone on about things you haven't learned about yet. Also, it's not like we are in class from 9-5 every day.

As far as being a brand new school, we have so much community support behind us, and the faculty is all outstanding and have come from various other medical schools around the country. They all want nothing but for us to succeed, and they have made it very clear that they are there beside us 100% throughout our time at ARCOM.
Is the interview one on one with a faculty member? What is the format of the interview?

first II!
1. So which is the airport near to the school? is it Little Rock Airport? (2hr 40min)
2. How you guys planning to get to the school? renting a car?
3. How about if you stay overnight? are you choosing any of the hotels recommended in the email?

Thank you!

first II!
1. So which is the airport near to the school? is it Little Rock Airport? (2hr 40min)
2. How you guys planning to get to the school? renting a car?
3. How about if you stay overnight? are you choosing any of the hotels recommended in the email?

Thank you!
I have no answers, but a question. Did you get a "we will now begin the review process" email? If so, when?