2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For our physical exams that we need before school starts, can we get them from a NP or does it have to be an MD?

Members don't see this ad.

For our physical exams that we need before school starts, can we get them from a NP or does it have to be an MD?

I don't think it matters tbh. I plan on going to a sports clinic, which will probably be an NP or something, but as long as its a physical exam it should work, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where we access the immunization form? Is it from the portal?

Any waitlist/acceptance/withdrawal news?

Reactions: 1 users
Any waitlist/acceptance/withdrawal news?

I decided to take a look at the USF class page, and saw that there have been people who were added pretty recently. So I think there has been waitlist movement. Could be wrong though

Does anyone know when the school health insurance plan starts if we buy their insurance?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a dress code for students? (Professional versus shorts and a shirt)

Hey there! For orientation week (POH course), there is a mandatory dress code, however, i'm not sure if there is one after orientation is over. Here's what Ms. Pizano said in the welcome letter email:

"It is essential for all new medical and physical therapy students to report and remain in attendance for every day of the Professions of Health (POH) Course. Professional dress is required for the entirety of POH (i.e. Men should wear a shirt and tie, long pants, socks, and hard-soled shoes; jacket is not necessary. Ladies should wear dresses, or skirts of medium length, or professional style slacks and close-toe shoes) unless otherwise noted by the course director."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey there! For orientation week (POH course), there is a mandatory dress code, however, i'm not sure if there is one after orientation is over. Here's what Ms. Pizano said in the welcome letter email:

"It is essential for all new medical and physical therapy students to report and remain in attendance for every day of the Professions of Health (POH) Course. Professional dress is required for the entirety of POH (i.e. Men should wear a shirt and tie, long pants, socks, and hard-soled shoes; jacket is not necessary. Ladies should wear dresses, or skirts of medium length, or professional style slacks and close-toe shoes) unless otherwise noted by the course director."

Assuming they haven't significantly changed their policies, professional dress is only required for the first week and when you are seeing patients (standardized or real). Otherwise it's whatever you want for classes, etc. Scrubs are required for the anatomy lab of course.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait where does it say we need a physical? I've only seen the immunization requirements.

Wait where does it say we need a physical? I've only seen the immunization requirements.

Same form as the immunizations. The last page is the physical exam verification that needs to be filled out.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but anyone heard from financial aid? lol

Also, anyone heard back about the pre-matriculation program?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but anyone heard from financial aid? lol

Also, anyone heard back about the pre-matriculation program?

Nadda regarding aid.

I received an email about the program from Ms. Shirley yesterday.

Do they usually send Finaid info to our regular emails or to our USF ones? I still haven't figured out how to use my USF email.

Do they usually send Finaid info to our regular emails or to our USF ones? I still haven't figured out how to use my USF email.

I don't know, but I think it would be the USF email. Most of the emails I've received so far have been at the email I listed in AMCAS though

Also, a couple people said a week ago that they got calls about scholarships so who knows how you might get contacted lol

A friend of mine got the call for CORE this past week, and Gyngyn noted substantial movement the week before. Looks like it's in motion.
Yeah I saw Gyngyn's post about it but didn't see any activity in the thread. Dunno if people are holding those acceptances or undecided or what. Would be nice to hear from the school before spending the money to reapply :sour:

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a facebook group for accepted students? I can't seem to find it if it exists.

USF PLEASE lol dying to get that call, though I know I'm not the only one

Reactions: 5 users
So.... is USF ever going to send out financial aid information...?

I can't imagine it takes too much longer. From some of the upperclassmen, it seems like they always take a while to complete the aid packages. Idk though, maybe more people were called about scholarships recently.

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know how i can change my preferred email in OASIS? Right now everything is being sent to a @mail.usf.edu account instead of my USF health email, and the only thing I can update is the email where they send admissions information.

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know how i can change my preferred email in OASIS? Right now everything is being sent to a @mail.usf.edu account instead of my USF health email, and the only thing I can update is the email where they send admissions information.

In NetID services, there is an option to change the address that everything gets sent to: here

Hi! Third year here. I don't remember exactly when I got my initial financial aid info, but I did get a call one week before classes began offering me a substantially bigger scholarship than the original. I also have classmates who have been surprised with random scholarship money in the middle of the semester, as it became available. I'm not saying this is typical or to be expected, but just know that the timeline is highly variable and just because you are offered X amount doesn't mean that you won't get more later.
I agree it would be helpful to know all the financial info up front when deciding between schools, but unfortunately that's just not how it works here.

Any waitlister/withdrawal news?

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, does anyone know if we actually need all the medical tools they ask us to buy for the doctoring course? seems like a lot...

Does anyone know when the school health insurance plan starts if we buy their insurance?

Seconding this.
Where can we find info on the school's health insurance?

are we ever going to get our award information .... ?????

Question: are we supposed to submit school transcripts if we're on the waitlist?

are we ever going to get our award information .... ?????

I can try and call tomorrow if no one else has contacted them recently. Would probably get the same answer as before though

USF doesn't have a minimum grade for prereqs, right? My girlfriend wants to apply here, but has a C or a C- in one of her orgo classes (I already told her she should retake it, but she doesn't want to). Doesn't say anything on the website, either.

USF doesn't have a minimum grade for prereqs, right? My girlfriend wants to apply here, but has a C or a C- in one of her orgo classes (I already told her she should retake it, but she doesn't want to). Doesn't say anything on the website, either.
They ask this in their secondary: "If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)."

I got a B- in one of my gen chem courses and got accepted. But n=1 so take as you will.

I never saw one when I was applying. I think it's just as long as it's a "passing" grade. So if it's a C-, she might want to double check if her school considers that a passing score. At mine it was C and above. Best of luck to her - I did it with with a couple of C+, so it's not impossible.

Well got the call on Friday! In for SELECT. What a relief! had started to blow the dust off the AMCAS app there for a second... good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
I never saw one when I was applying. I think it's just as long as it's a "passing" grade. So if it's a C-, she might want to double check if her school considers that a passing score. At mine it was C and above. Best of luck to her - I did it with with a couple of C+, so it's not impossible.

They ask this in their secondary: "If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts)."

I got a B- in one of my gen chem courses and got accepted. But n=1 so take as you will.

Thanks guys. We called and emailed them today, and it sounds like they don't have any minimum grade requirements. Specifically, they said "At USF MCOM, we use a holistic review approach when screening applications. All components of the application are weighed equally. There is no minimum grade requirement for courses." Hopefully this will help out some other people who were wondering the same thing.

Seems like no new info on financial aid right now.

Just a heads up all rising second years got this email today:

Dear Class of 2020,

I hope you’re having a nice summer.

We have been receiving some questions from the class of 2021 regarding the technology requirements for their cohort. Please note that technology requirements will be very strictly enforced for incoming students – anecdotal information from your class’s experience will not be congruent with new standards.

The posted requirements are minimum specifications necessary for incoming students. Last year when your class entered, the requirements which we are strictly enforcing for incoming students, had only recently been shared by the NBME and ExamSoft, giving neither USF Health IS nor OEA substantial time to prepare and disseminate information to the class of 2020. I will reiterate with incoming students that if they believe that they are considering bringing less than what is required, it would not be permissible.

Has anyone else on the waitlist had their app viewed recently?

Just a heads up all rising second years got this email today:

Dear Class of 2020,

I hope you’re having a nice summer.

We have been receiving some questions from the class of 2021 regarding the technology requirements for their cohort. Please note that technology requirements will be very strictly enforced for incoming students – anecdotal information from your class’s experience will not be congruent with new standards.

The posted requirements are minimum specifications necessary for incoming students. Last year when your class entered, the requirements which we are strictly enforcing for incoming students, had only recently been shared by the NBME and ExamSoft, giving neither USF Health IS nor OEA substantial time to prepare and disseminate information to the class of 2020. I will reiterate with incoming students that if they believe that they are considering bringing less than what is required, it would not be permissible.

Well now they've definitely got my attention. A 14" or bigger laptop, purchased after august 2016 with at least 8 gb ram, 500gb hard drive and minimum core i5? Wtf? That pretty much rules out the Surfaces, the 13" MBP, the regular macbook, most ultrabooks, and oh, not to mention every pre-August laptop ever purchased. I don't want to buy a big, clunky machine to lug around campus.

Last edited:
Well now they've definitely got my attention. A 14" or bigger laptop, purchased after august 2016 with at least 8 gb ram, 500gb hard drive and minimum core i5? Wtf? That pretty much rules out the Surfaces, the 13" MBP, the regular macbook, and most ultrabooks. I don't want to buy a big, clunky machine to lug around campus.

To add on to this... I cannot afford to buy a new computer so.....