2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it normal for kids to be pulled off the waitlist before April 30th?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it normal for kids to be pulled off the waitlist before April 30th?

I've seen it happen in past threads. If anything, this early movement is a good sign since it's already begun. And it most likely will continue until June or so, as students get acceptances from other schools that now have an opening, after one of their students gets an acceptance (sometimes a more generous financial aid offer) to a school they prefer more. It's a huge domino effect.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got pulled from the waitlist yesterday as well. Interviewed 3/7

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i got word from financial aid that they likely wont have any complete (including merit, grants, etc) financial aid packages out until after april 30th

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, i got word from financial aid that they likely wont have any complete (including merit, grants, etc) financial aid packages out until after april 30th
That will make it challenging for people to make decisions if they don't even know how much they will be paying.

Did they give an estimate on when they think they'd have everything done?

Members don't see this ad :)
nope, just said it'll be after apr 30

IMG_3136.GIF

Reactions: 9 users
nope, just said it'll be after apr 30

Maybe they accepted too many people and this is a subtle way to make the multiple acceptance folks go away. But really that's disappointing, feels like they dropped the ball here.

Last edited:
Maybe they accepted too many people and this is a subtle way to make the multiple acceptance folks go away. They really kinda dropped the ball here.

I guess people will just have to decide if they want to take a chance, if they are accepted to another school that has given them financial aid. Makes the decision of picking between schools that much harder though

FOR FUTURE APPLICANTS:

This post is just to prove/confirm that USF cares A LOT about high MCAT scores! Be very honest with your application (read: if MCAT<513 low chances) before hopelessly waiting an entire year to get an interview. Below is a picture of USF's most recent (2016) accepted applicants MCAT scores. The average being a 514, with the 10th percentile being a 510!!! And notice this box plot is not very typical. Meaning that their ranges of scores are very saturated as their 25th percentile (513 MCAT) is very close to their avg (514 MCAT).

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 6.07.13 PM.png

Fig 1: USF Accepted MCAT

In doing this, USF avg accepted GPA and science GPA are much lower than what you'd expect for a school having a 514 avg MCAT. Their avg overall GPA for matriculated students is a 3.61 and science GPA of 3.57 (this is much lower than the national avg of 3.75 & 3.70)!!

To compare this to another Florida school... let's say UF (since everyone LOVES that comparison smh). UF's avg MCAT acceptance was also a 514, but with a 10%tile of 507 and 90%tile of 521 (much more evenly distributed/broader range) and a total GPA of 3.86 and science GPA of 3.83 (much higher than USF & nat. avg).

In summary, I've seen/heard many qualified applicants with <510 MCAT scores that did not get interviews at USF, but did so at much better ranked institutions. MCAT isn't everything, but it's a HUGE part of the application at USF (since they're trying to improve their ranking, and avg accepted MCAT is a factor used in USNews ranking). This was reaffirmed at Second Look when two students were bragging about how high their MCAT scores the whole time... (ya don't get me started)... So if you're applying, studying for the MCAT, or USF is your "dream school", make sure you're realistic about your chances.

(I will also wait for the 2-3 students that were interviewed with a <510 MCAT score to go off on me, while the 98%+ of interviewed applicants at USF with a MCAT 510+ don't speak up... smh)

P.S.: USF has A LOT of waitlist movement as they accept the bare minimum and WL everyone after Jan. (haters goin hate).

TLDR: USF does holistic admissions as long as your MCAT is 510+ (read 513+). Don't be discouraged if you're waitlisted.

I've been saying from the beginning how USF really only cared about 510+.

I'm also one of the few lucky ones who scored below that who even received an interview.

It's crazy how they're so focused on numbers because I saw this from that LizzyM lady:

ImageUploadedBySDN1493334622.657444.jpg

According to her, MCAT is really just a gauge to see how "ready" someone is to be in medical school.
I read that most correlational studies only show a slight positive correlation between MCAT and Step scores so I don't know why they're so focused on just one part of the whole application...

TLDR: USF does holistic admissions as long as your MCAT is 510+ (read 513+). Don't be discouraged if you're waitlisted.

I interviewed with a 514 MCAT and a 3.2 cGPA. I guess that helps prove your point--that MCAT score got my foot in the door. Really hope it's enough to pull me off the waitlist this spring.

Dean sees bright present and future for USF’s medical school

"Lockwood also revamped the admissions process by placing more emphasis on the MCAT.

“The best predictor of competency, the best predictor of professionalism, the best predictor of long-term success for a physician is the MCAT score,” he said. “Like it or not, it’s the reality.”""

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd bet the applications will be spiking even more when the campus moves downtown. Brand new facilities in a city with great rotation spots without other medical schools to compete with.

I'd bet the applications will be spiking even more when the campus moves downtown. Brand new facilities in a city with great rotation spots without other medical schools to compete with.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely interested to see how many applications they get over the next few years. I feel like the school has developed a pretty good reputation as an OOS friendly school, so I think it'll only get more competitive from here.

the best predictor of long-term success for a physician is the MCAT score

This is beyond laughable!! Some of the worlds top physicians and surgeons scored 50-70%ile on their MCAT, but it wasn't nearly as competitive back then. Now all of a sudden it's THE BEST predictor of physician success. WOOOWWW! And while USF's ranking has improved, I wouldn't expect much major improvements in the coming years. As moving from 70 to 53 is MUCH easier than goin from 53 to top 40. Regardless these rankings and MCAT scores are truly meaningless. Don't let these numbers have an impact on your personal or professional happiness (as I've unfortunately seen it happen to many people).

Here's a DIFFERENT prespective from the dean at a top 25 school (if you care lol)

Dean Muller at Icahn/Mt Sinai says

“…..we have also committed ourselves to a genuine paradigm shift in the way we define performance and achievement. We must minimize the importance of MCAT scores and grade point averages in admissions, pull out of school ranking systems that are neither valid nor holistic, stop pretending that high scores on standardized exams can be equated with clinical or scientific excellence, and take other bold steps to relieve the pressure that we know is contributing at least to distress, if not to mental illness, among our students."

MMS: Link

Reactions: 3 users
I was told yesterday afternoon (via email with fin aid) that whatever loans/scholarship are listed in the financial aid tab in Oasis was it as far as financial aid. I did not get anything that implied that there would be scholarships given out after the April 30th deadline. Maybe there will be, but I don't know. People who have multiple acceptances will have to decide off what they see in Oasis.

I was told yesterday afternoon (via email with fin aid) that whatever loans/scholarship are listed in the financial aid tab in Oasis was it as far as financial aid. I did not get anything that implied that there would be scholarships given out after the April 30th deadline. Maybe there will be, but I don't know. People who have multiple acceptances will have to decide off what they see in Oasis.

weird, since they told me the opposite. maybe they ended up getting it done quicker than expected. it's also strange that they didn't email to notify anyone that complete financial aid packages are out.

weird, since they told me the opposite. maybe they ended up getting it done quicker than expected. it's also strange that they didn't email to notify anyone that complete financial aid packages are out.

Yeah, I also found it a little strange. The stuff I have on my oasis has been there for at least three weeks, yet we were told during the 2nd Look that our financial aid packages would be release in the last week of April.

Hey everyone.. Got the call from Dr. Daniel this morning. Pulled off the waitlist!! So excited to be a Bull again!!

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, I also found it a little strange. The stuff I have on my oasis has been there for at least three weeks, yet we were told during the 2nd Look that our financial aid packages would be release in the last week of April.

Haha I'm so confused about what is happening. I thought the only thing displayed on oasis right now is the Federal unsubsidized loans, because thats what they told me when I emailed them a couple of weeks ago. They said we'd get an email when our package is complete......

Withdrew my acceptance from here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Haha I'm so confused about what is happening. I thought the only thing displayed on oasis right now is the Federal unsubsidized loans, because thats what they told me when I emailed them a couple of weeks ago. They said we'd get an email when our package is complete......

Ok, well this is a little confusing...

I haven't even gotten any of my finaid package yet .... lol

Well this is a mess. I'm showing an unsub loan in my oasis and nothing else at the moment.

Is it showing an unsub loan for Fall 2017? Or Spring 2017? Also, what phone number did they call you on? The one on oasis?

Last edited:
Tough choice, but I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you!

Is it showing an unsub loan for Fall 2017? Or Spring 2017? Also, what phone number did they call you on? The one on oasis?

It's showing both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018. The one time I tried contacting financial aid, I used some sort of message portal and they wrote back to me. This was a few months ago though. They didn't contact me at all regarding aid, I just logged into oasis a week ago and saw the loan was there.

Any chance you two can post the message they sent you?

So either you're not getting financial aid, or they just aren't done yet lol...
zzz I had some weird hold placed on my account cause my updated FAFSA didn't get sent and didn't get resolved until last week. Probably the reason why .... :/

zzz I had some weird hold placed on my account cause my updated FAFSA didn't get sent and didn't get resolved until last week. Probably the reason why .... :/

Yeah probably.

Has anyone here been given anything other than the federal unsubsidized loans? Because from what I've seen/heard, thats the only thing that has been distributed so far.

Yeah probably.

Has anyone here been given anything other than the federal unsubsidized loans? Because from what I've seen/heard, thats the only thing that has been distributed so far.

I spoke with fin aid via email yesterday. They reiterated that only unsub loans have been packaged. NOTHING else has been awarded yet, and nothing will be awarded until after the 30th

Reactions: 2 users
I spoke with fin aid via email yesterday. They reiterated that only unsub loans have been packaged. NOTHING else has been awarded yet, and nothing will be awarded until after the 30th

Thanks for doing that!

Any waitlist news? Anyone withdraw this weekend?

Accepted from the waitlist this morning!

Reactions: 6 users