2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCAT: 521, GPA 3.7, and I interviewed on 9/20
Stats like those and they only just accepted you? That's weird. Wish we knew how the waitlist ranking worked

Reactions: 1 user
Select or core? Congrats!
I think SELECT interviewed on Mondays and CORE interviewed on Tuesdays if that helps.
Please anybody correct me if your experience was different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats like those and they only just accepted you? That's weird. Wish we knew how the waitlist ranking worked

Yeah I'm not sure. It seemed like they were worried that I wanted to go to another school and wouldn't accept if they offered me a spot. I wrote a letter of intent a few weeks ago so maybe that helped. And it was for CORE.

Yeah I'm not sure. It seemed like they were worried that I wanted to go to another school and wouldn't accept if they offered me a spot. I wrote a letter of intent a few weeks ago so maybe that helped. And it was for CORE.
Sounds likely to me. I interviewed with a 519 and in one of my interviews the tone seemed to be "Wow, great scores. Man, we would really love to have you here" like I would end up setting my sights on other places whereas in reality I was like...please accept me...lol

Reactions: 4 users
They accept letter of intent? I thought they didn't, otherwise I would have sent one by now.

They told us at our interview that they did not want anything (updates/LOI) sent in.
At my interview day he basically said that if they get a letter of interest they throw it in the trash, lol

Is there is a required laptop (Mac vs PC) that USF students have to have? Any recommendations?

How stringent are the laptop requirements? My three year old macbook meets all the requirements with the exception of the 500 GB hard drive. It seems unnecessary to have to buy a new one.

Just a heads up, new Welcome Letter for class of 2021 is online! There's a link to it under 'current students'.

Members don't see this ad :)
How stringent are the laptop requirements? My three year old macbook meets all the requirements with the exception of the 500 GB hard drive. It seems unnecessary to have to buy a new one.

I was told by a current student not to worry much about the laptops. Last year she said they 'Required' PC's only, but a lot of people used Macs and were fine. My MacBook is 3 years old too and I don't plan on getting a new one...perhaps an iPad though to supplement it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nice!

...now 'patiently' waiting on award packages...i hope.

e27d20a9abe83e43d1e38c5c040a97b3.jpg

th

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone on the waitlist hear anything the last few days?

Anyone else see all those panic emails about USF losing out on pre-eminant status? Seems like what happened is that USF was originally on track to get the status by 2018. Then early this year the new funding bill in the Senate was going to make it so USF gets it this year. And now suddenly a last minute change has made it so that they'll get it in 2020. The difference is that the school misses out on a cool $10 mil (that gets divided between UF and FSU instead) every year they dont have it.

Anyone else see all those panic emails about USF losing out on pre-eminant status? Seems like what happened is that USF was originally on track to get the status by 2018. Then early this year the new funding bill in the Senate was going to make it so USF gets it this year. And now suddenly a last minute change has made it so that they'll get it in 2020. The difference is that the school misses out on a cool $10 mil (that gets divided between UF and FSU instead) every year they dont have it.

Interesting...do you have a link to this?

I can't say there's really a clear cut 'good' option for the Florida legislature here. It's a hard call, they've gotta balance funding their best schools to compete nationally with funding the 'lower' Florida schools enough to help them catch up. Hope it doesn't impact the downtown project too much. Let's just slash funding to engineering and business so COM isn't affected, everyone knows the med school leads the way anyway :angelic:

I just looked it up and it seems like USF won't be reaching it's pre-eminent status goal (at least until 2020) bc of a change in the Senate bill.

Saw this news release from USF

USF Calls the Tampa Bay Region to Action After Last-Minute Legislative Change to Preeminence Threatens to Take Millions of Dollars Away - University of South Florida

Other info (including a way to contact state representatives) :

TAKE ACTION NOW | Path to Preeminence| University of South Florida

Has anyone who applied to the MSSD pre-matriculation program heard back yet? The portal says acceptance notifications would begin may 1st. It would be nice to know soon since I need to find an apartment...

Last edited:
How long do you have to respond to an acceptance offer when you're pulled off the waitlist?

I just e-mailed admissions to see if they could tell *anything* about the waitlist, like how much movement is still expected but the response was a hard no, lol

Reactions: 7 users
I just e-mailed admissions to see if they could tell *anything* about the waitlist, like how much movement is still expected but the response was a hard no, lol

Was worth a shot haha

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if there's like a requirements list? Like supplies to buy, books to buy, etc.

Anyone know if there's like a requirements list? Like supplies to buy, books to buy, etc.

I haven't seen any, other than the technology requirement and the required films to watch on the student welcome page for c/o 2021.

Any one from OOS accepted from wait list. Please comment. Still there is any chance for OOS students on waitlist?

Any one from OOS accepted from wait list. Please comment. Still there is any chance for OOS students on waitlist?

I was accepted off of the waistlist ~2 weeks ago. OOS SELECT

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations . What were your stats/ interview date please ?
Thx

Since I last posted, there have been new acceptances at: CO, WUSTL, OHSU, MUSC, Temple, UCI, Wayne, Northstate, Case, Hofstra, UCD, Cincinnati, VCU, NYU, Meharry and FIU.
There was a lot of movement at: Cornell, USF, and a boatload at SUNY Brooklyn.

Looks like the wait list is moving at USF.

If the waitlist moves and nobody's around to post about it, did it really move at all? :beaver:

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard anything about financial aid recently? I might call them tomorrow

I got a call about a merit scholarship too, but in Oasis it says diversity scholarship. So I'm slightly confused

Got a call two days ago about my merit scholarship.

I got a call about a merit scholarship too, but in Oasis it says diversity scholarship. So I'm slightly confused

oh wow congrats guys! I guess they finally finished everything haha. Hopefully I'll hear something soon

edit: also, are you guys instate or out of state? just wondering

oh wow congrats guys! I guess they finally finished everything haha. Hopefully I'll hear something soon

In state usf grad

In state!

when y'all think we're going to find out about the rest of our awards .... ???

Great question, my friend...

when y'all think we're going to find out about the rest of our awards .... ???

So I called today and talked with one of the financial aid advisers, who said that they still have not met to distribute any funds other than the unsubsidized federal loans. I don't really know what's going on but that's what I was told today haha

Reactions: 1 users
So I called today and talked with one of the financial aid advisers, who said that they still have not met to distribute any funds other than the unsubsidized federal loans. I don't really know what's going on but that's what I was told today haha

Thanks for checking in and updating us!

Thanks for checking in and updating us!

Haha no problem! To be honest I'm really confused as to what's going on in the process. They've said they haven't started offering institutional aid yet, but then it seems like people on here have gotten scholarships already....

Does anyone have a clue how many people they interviewed for this year, and of those, how many people were waitlisted? Also, does anyone know how deep into the waitlist they went last year?

Reactions: 2 users