2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how (or if even) the scholarship process works if one gets accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else having dreams about getting accepted, rejected, or waitlisted?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my attitude lately is, "If I set my sights low, I'll never be disappointed"
I am tempted to also. But then I keep telling myself that I tried my BEST. The rest I have to accept is out of my control. And whatever happens, happens for the best.

To pass the time between now and when they let us know, anybody have any particular field they are interested in?

Any ideas on how many people will be accepted in mid/late December? I wonder what the GPA/MCAT range for those accepted during that time might be...

If i recall correctly, they accept half the class during this first batch, then they fill up the rest of the class all at once in February. At that point, everybody is either accepted, put on the wait list, or rejected. Everybody in the December group is either accepted, decision deferred until the February decisions, or rejected.

To pass the time between now and when they let us know, anybody have any particular field they are interested in?

Surgery! But I'm not sure which sub-specialty I'd be most interested in.

I've heard that OU lets you shadow/have preceptorships as an M1 with three specialties of your choice so you can think of specialties early on. @jqueb29 does this still exist?

Surgery! But I'm not sure which sub-specialty I'd be most interested in.

I've heard that OU lets you shadow/have preceptorships as an M1 with three specialties of your choice so you can think of specialties early on. @jqueb29 does this still exist?

We had it when I was an MS1 (currently MS3). However, if it's the same as it was for my class, you don't shadow 3 different specialties. Rather, you rank 3 specialties you would be interested in shadowing and are given one of those 3. Of course, you're also always welcome to contact doctors outside of what the school sets up; I know several of my classmates shadowed docs whose fields they were interested in the first 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This might have been mentioned earlier but I'm still confused. How many (%) of the first batch interviewees (II from October-December) get accepted? and how many defered? Someone told me they interview around 160 by December and accept about 60.

This might have been mentioned earlier but I'm still confused. How many (%) of the first batch interviewees (II from October-December) get accepted? and how many defered? Someone told me they interview around 160 by December and accept about 60.

60 seems low, but just my speculation

I agree 60 seems very low. Expect roughly 90-100.

Speaking from an In-State perspective, here is what to expect based on last year's admission data:

1) 92-116 In-State interviewees will be be rejected this cycle.
2) 157-181 In-State interviewees will be accepted. Expect roughly 168 this cycle.
3) 14-38 In-State acceptees will matriculate somewhere else or defer admission.
4) Likewise, 14-38 In-State applicants will be taken off the waitlist. Expect roughly 26 off the list this year.
5) There is a 57.5-66.3% chance of acceptance if you are an In-State interviewee.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Speaking from an In-State perspective, here is what to expect based on last year's admission data:

2) 157-181 In-State interviewees will be accepted. Expected roughly 168 this cycle.
4) Likewise, 14-38 In-State applicants will be taken off the waitlist. Expect roughly 26 off the list this year.
5) There is a 57.5-66.3% chance of acceptance if you are an In-State interviewee.

Hope that helps...
Wow that's very thorough, btw not to be rude but what's the source of the data?

2) 157-181 In-State interviewees will be accepted. Expected roughly 168 this cycle.

Hope that helps...
... that's a lot of rejections. Panic mode initiated.

We had it when I was an MS1 (currently MS3). However, if it's the same as it was for my class, you don't shadow 3 different specialties. Rather, you rank 3 specialties you would be interested in shadowing and are given one of those 3. Of course, you're also always welcome to contact doctors outside of what the school sets up; I know several of my classmates shadowed docs whose fields they were interested in the first 2 years.

That's cool, so what field did you get and what sorta role did you have?

2) 157-181 In-State interviewees will be accepted. Expect roughly 168 this cycle.

Hope that helps...
Thanks a lot!

Btw by 60 I meant only the first round of acceptances they send out in December around christmas. I heard that they send our the second round by Feb by changing a whole lot of defered people to accepted.

Hope that helps...
Any idea how these stats change for OOS interviewees?

Any idea how these stats change for OOS interviewees?

Great question! That is precisely why I chose to present my admission estimates as ranges because OOS matriculants make a big impact on how many IS interviewees ultimately get accepted. Remember the Oklahoma State Board of Regents for Higher Education mandates that at least 75% of an entering medical school class be Oklahoma residents.

This means 160*.25 = 40 spaces can go to OOS students at a maximum.

With that in mind, over 1,600 OOS students applied last year. Interview offers were ONLY given to approximately 40 OOS applicants. 40 interview offers for 40 possible spaces.

Assuming the committee intends to invite OOS applicants that it already really wants, it is fair to say the vast majority of those 40 are going to be accepted. It is also fair to say those 40 are going to be accepted by a lot of other schools. Just under 20 OOS acceptees matriculated last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Great question! That is precisely why I chose to present my admission estimates as ranges because OOS matriculants make a big impact on how many IS interviewees ultimately get accepted. Remember the Oklahoma State Board of Regents for Higher Education mandates that at least 75% of an entering medical school class be Oklahoma residents.

With that in mind, over 1,600 OOS students applied last year. Interview offers were ONLY given to approximately 40 OOS applicants. 40 interview offers for 40 possible spaces.

Assuming the committee intends to invite OOS applicants that it already really wants, it is fair to say the vast majority of those 40 are going to be accepted. It is also fair to say those 40 are going to be accepted by a lot of other schools. Just under 20 OOS acceptees matriculated last year.

Not sure why you rounded, but just wanted to verify the above: MSAR for 2015 says 42 OOS applicants were interviewed last cycle and 18 matriculated.

Can anyone who has had their SCM interview touch on how it went/what it was like? Thanks!

That's cool, so what field did you get and what sorta role did you have?

I forgot if I just didn't get my top choice or if my preferred field wasn't an available option, but I ended up with a cardiologist at the Oklahoma Heart Hospital. I basically just followed him around the cath lab, and he would explain what all he was doing. As I was only an MS1, I didn't actually get to assist with anything really, but I did get to scrub in and stand by him during his procedures. There's definitely a wide variety of good options for y'all.

Can anyone who has had their SCM interview touch on how it went/what it was like? Thanks!

Mine was on the Tulsa campus. It was very relaxed day which starts with a tour of the campus with the students and the director of admissions (She's honestly really awesome so don't sweat it) and then a tour of the mods and then you have lunch with the med students. After that there's a presentation with the dean over the school and the health needs of Tulsa. Then the med students would take you down to your interview depending on what your time slot. You could be first or you could have to wait an hour or so.

The interview itself was very conversational, MUCH more than the COM interview. They just ask you about yourself, what you've done, what sorta vision you have on healthcare in Oklahoma and they try to gauge how your dedication to health disparity in the state. It's only 30mins so you'll be fine!

So I remember them saying we would know if we go in or not the week before Christmas, but did they say a specific day?

So I remember them saying we would know if we go in or not the week before Christmas, but did they say a specific day?
Don't believe so. According to last year's thread, the admissions office let everyone know the 21st of December. I hope we find out a little earlier, but who knows.

Acceptances have gone out on the third Monday of December for the last two years (12/15/14 and 12/21/15) so I'm guessing we'll hear something on the 19th.

Reactions: 2 users

Just to balance things out--the interview was nothing like I was expecting--only 30 minutes between interviewees is allotted in the schedule (so they really are aiming for a 20min interview) and they did NOT ask a single question about my interests/ who I am / what I like. Nor did my interviewers show more than a sliver of interest towards community medicine research. Very open ended. Expect 3 questions and then you're done. Also, your interviewers do not have most of your application; maybe just your PS and secondary essays.

OOS application here, no II yet...
Anyone know if the approximate 40 OOS interview offers have already been made?

Acceptances have gone out on the third Monday of December for the last two years (12/15/14 and 12/21/15) so I'm guessing we'll hear something on the 19th.
Current MS 1 here:

You're probably exactly right with that ReneeM. Usually they're sent out the Monday after classes on both the OUHSC and Norman campuses are let out in December.

For those of you waiting to hear back, I know it's stressful but it comes faster than you think! Even if you end up getting a deferral within the next couple weeks (I did last year), don't give up on yourself. You can still make it to medical school and still do just fine if not exceptionally well once you get there. Good luck, and if any of you have questions about OU, interviews, or volunteering feel free to shoot me a direct message!

Reactions: 1 users
So...long though. At least finals will keep me busy.

Perhaps, we're finding out next Monday. Does anyone know when the last December interview date is?

Last edited:
Does anyone else know of the acceptance rate for SCM track?

On MSAR it says Acceptance Notice - earliest date sent to be: December 15, 2016. Is this not the date we should be expecting?

On MSAR it says Acceptance Notice - earliest date sent to be: December 15, 2016. Is this not the date we should be expecting?
Previous years would suggest third Monday in December, i.e. the 19th

Rejected :/ OOS so not too surprising.

Interviewing ⅛ for both COM and SCM! I wish I could go to Tulsa to visit SCM but I live OOS right now so it just wasn't feasible. Happy to get an interview from my alma mater! Any tips on the SCM interview? I'm coming in as an MPH student and that's been a huge emphasis for me during the application cycle.

Interviewing ⅛ for both COM and SCM! I wish I could go to Tulsa to visit SCM but I live OOS right now so it just wasn't feasible. Happy to get an interview from my alma mater! Any tips on the SCM interview? I'm coming in as an MPH student and that's been a huge emphasis for me during the application cycle.
Just relax. It's very stress free. It's way more casual than the OKC interview and lasts about 20-30 minutes.

Current students here- how did you choose between the OKC and SCM track? Prior to interviewing I was dead set on the Tulsa track, but I was very impressed with the OKC track and the opportunities there after interviewing. As I see it:

OKC:
Bigger (and arguably better) campus
More research opportunities (though to be honest I'm not that interested in anything other than public health research)
More established school
Academic instead of community hospitals

Tulsa:
Better student:faculty ratios, (also better cadaver:student ratios)
Community health emphasis a plus (for me at least)
Tuition assistance with public health coursework
More tight-knit group of students, SCM students say it's less "cutthroat" than OKC, but they're obviously biased

Rejected yesterday OOS. Maybe I'll see some of y'all in residency! Enjoy OU!

I wonder if there is a disadvantage in attending SCM if you have an interest in a residency that is only offered in OKC. I'm speaking as someone who will be remaining in Oklahoma one way or another due to a child.

Current students here- how did you choose between the OKC and SCM track? Prior to interviewing I was dead set on the Tulsa track, but I was very impressed with the OKC track and the opportunities there after interviewing. As I see it:

OKC:
Bigger (and arguably better) campus
More research opportunities (though to be honest I'm not that interested in anything other than public health research)
More established school
Academic instead of community hospitals

Tulsa:
Better student:faculty ratios, (also better cadaver:student ratios)
Community health emphasis a plus (for me at least)
Tuition assistance with public health coursework
More tight-knit group of students, SCM students say it's less "cutthroat" than OKC, but they're obviously biased

OKC campus student so everything I know about SCM is not based on my own personal experience, but it basically comes down to what you want to go into. If community health and primary care is a big thing for you, SCM is probably more your style. You can certainly get into the whole community health thing at the OKC campus, but it's not emphasized/expected like it is at SCM. As far as the OKC campus, having grown up in the Tulsa area and being familiar with the SCM campus area, there's no "arguably" to it; the OKC campus is definitely bigger and better, providing a much larger breadth of opportunities and exposures. But, again, that's not as necessary a thing for people focused on primary care. I would also say that the OKC campus is definitely not cutthroat at all. Sure, there are definitely a few gunners, but every class is gonna have those, and they are by far the exception lol.

I guess it is officially one week from today that we find out! Anyone else freaking out? lol

Reactions: 5 users