2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else here doing the SCM interview as well and conflicted on whether to take an earlier interview date vs later and being able to tour the OU-Tulsa campus?
If you're doing an SCM interview, definitely do it in Tulsa so you get the tour. The two campuses are VERY different. I think its important to know what one would be signing up for in the SCM track, and the Tulsa campus will play a huge role in that.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're doing an SCM interview, definitely do it in Tulsa so you get the tour. The two campuses are VERY different. I think its important to know what one would be signing up for in the SCM track, and the Tulsa campus will play a huge role in that.

Well problem resolved itself. Called and talked to Dr. Baker. Turns out the interview portal incorrectly lists the Dec 2nd SCM interview as being in OKC (per Dr. Baker this date is actually in Tulsa).

Reactions: 1 user
Well problem resolved itself. Called and talked to Dr. Baker. Turns out the interview portal incorrectly lists the Dec 2nd SCM interview as being in OKC (per Dr. Baker this date is actually in Tulsa).
you've got to be kidding me? Are you sure? So Dec 2 SCM is in Tulsa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Come tour tulsa!!! You'll love it! It definitely has a much different vibe than OKC and is probably the biggest reasons I picked OU over OSU.

Here's a email I got from Dotty back in October which should clarify any confusion with OKC/Tulsa dates.

Attachments

• 20161027_191817.png
    20161027_191817.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 1 users
Come tour tulsa!!! You'll love it! It definitely has a much different vibe than OKC and is probably the biggest reasons I picked OU over OSU.
Are you in Tulsa as first year? Why do you recommend it?

Quick question, how would you say the SCM interview's questions are different from the OKC track questions?

Are you in Tulsa as first year? Why do you recommend it?

Yes, I am a first year. I recommend it because of many reasons. The classes are smaller and our class is exceptionally close knit. As a smaller class, we get a lot of unique opportunities that those in OKC don't get to experience. We are currently taking anatomy right now and we have been able to have ultrasound workshops which OKC isn't doing. It's really neat because as we learn about different parts of the body, we get to practice using the ultrasound on each other. We learned about the heart this week and today we were able to look at it at one of our workshops. The physician who has been working with us was telling us that many doctors themselves don't know how to use the machine so I really value the early exposure we are getting.

I also really like the campus feel. The OKC campus feels like its spread out in the midst of hospitals and clinics. Our campus is very open. It reminds of the OU campus in Norman although at a smaller scale. Everything is also very new. Contrary to what you may hear, our campus is fully equipped with everything that OKC offers and more. Another opportunity we have is that we get to start shadowing at OU's Bedlam clinic before third year. Both OKC and Tulsa students just learned how to take a patient's history and practice on standardized patients earlier this semester. However, in Tulsa, we have been able to speak with real patients at the Bedlam clinic, with the supervision of a third year student. We have a more personal relationship with some of our faculty. We also have a better student to faculty/TA ratio in anatomy as well.

What interview date will you be hosting in Tulsa?

Nov. 18 and Dec. 4th.

Quick question, how would you say the SCM interview's questions are different from the OKC track questions?

The interview is shorter and more relaxed. My interview was with a fourth year student and the associate dean. There are less structured questions. The focus is on why you are interested in community medicine. There were no scenario questions or ethical questions. It's very conversational.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I am a first year. I recommend it because of many reasons. The classes are smaller and our class is exceptionally close knit. As a smaller class, we get a lot of unique opportunities that those in OKC don't get to experience. We are currently taking anatomy right now and we have been able to have ultrasound workshops which OKC isn't doing. It's really neat because as we learn about different parts of the body, we get to practice using the ultrasound on each other. We learned about the heart this week and today we were able to look at it at one of our workshops. The physician who has been working with us was telling us that many doctors themselves don't know how to use the machine so I really value the early exposure we are getting.

I also really like the campus feel. The OKC campus feels like its spread out in the midst of hospitals and clinics. Our campus is very open. It reminds of the OU campus in Norman although at a smaller scale. Everything is also very new. Contrary to what you may hear, our campus is fully equipped with everything that OKC offers and more. Another opportunity we have is that we get to start shadowing at OU's Bedlam clinic before third year. Both OKC and Tulsa students just learned how to take a patient's history and practice on standardized patients earlier this semester. However, in Tulsa, we have been able to speak with real patients at the Bedlam clinic, with the supervision of a third year student. We have a more personal relationship with some of our faculty. We also have a better student to faculty/TA ratio in anatomy as well.

Nov. 18 and Dec. 4th.

The interview is shorter and more relaxed. My interview was with a fourth year student and the associate dean. There are less structured questions. The focus is on why you are interested in community medicine. There were no scenario questions or ethical questions. It's very conversational.
MK you should be studying for anatomy right now! Also echo of what MK says. Tulsa SCM is great because it offers everything OKC does but with the smaller class size we have a much closer interaction with faculty and each other. The faculty all know us by name and we are all tightly knit. Definitely helpful if you struggle because everyone is here to make sure you succeed. Gunners beware, Tulsa is one big family :) (Also from what I hear of OKC people really only know their mod. Not the case here we know everyone (MS1 and MS2). ) And in case not clear, I'm an MS1 here at the SCM.

Good luck to everyone interviewing and to those waiting to hear back. I was Defer, Waitlist and finally acceptance in July of this year. So don't give up hope even when you feel like it's over. Looking forward to meeting those who interview in Tulsa!

I wonder how many students in a typical class are re-applicants.

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my interview invite today! scheduled it for Nov 20th...
if you have interviewed there, could you give me any tips for interview day?
how will you justify B in certain courses? or a C..

Take a deep breath and be relaxed for the interview, the interviewers aren't out to get you. They simply wanna know you, and they want to, in their words, "vouch for you infront of the committee." Know all your strength, weakness, failure, success type questions and be ready for some ethical types too. Do talk to the tour guides! The M1 thru M3s on my tour were really awesome people and they'll get you the inside scoop. And make small talk with the other interviewees to relieve any tension you're feeling.

They didn't ask about grades, and I've had some bad ones

Last edited:
I wonder how many students in a typical class are re-applicants.

Anyone know?

I don't have a specific number, but it's certainly not uncommon. I know there's a bare minimum of 2 of us in my class, but I strongly suspect there are several more. The average age of my class when we began first year was like 24.5; that's skewed upwards a bit by a couple people who are much older than the rest of the class, but there was such a large number of people who were 24+ when we began that I suspect a decent number were re-applicants. If I had to guess, I would say at least 10%.

Nov 20 also yo!

I don't have a specific number, but it's certainly not uncommon. I know there's a bare minimum of 2 of us in my class, but I strongly suspect there are several more. The average age of my class when we began first year was like 24.5; that's skewed upwards a bit by a couple people who are much older than the rest of the class, but there was such a large number of people who were 24+ when we began that I suspect a decent number were re-applicants. If I had to guess, I would say at least 10%.
Thanks!

Any MD/PhD applicants?

So if I interview Dec 1st, do you think I'll be notified as part of the first group in late December or not until the next group?

So if I interview Dec 1st, do you think I'll be notified as part of the first group in late December or not until the next group?
All Oct, Nov, and Dec interviews are viewed as one cohort and have their decisions (accept, defer, reject) by mid to late December.

Anyone been to a SCM interview so far? How many people interview you for that one?

Just had my interview. Very relaxing interview, they really just want to get to know you. Know yourself well and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 2 users
how long was it? were all the questions centered around you?
With the 5 minute break in beteeen, I'd say a little under an hour. I was shocked how quickly it went. Yes, all of my questions were centered around myself and my experiences, but that's not to say you'll only receive those types of questions.

I found some stats for OU about the amount of interview invites, acceptances, enrolled, and acceptance rate after invite:

315, 199, 161, 63%

Can any current students comment on the weekly schedule? When do you go to class, when are required activities, when do you study, etc? Thanks,

Can any current students comment on the weekly schedule? When do you go to class, when are required activities, when do you study, etc? Thanks,

During your first 2 years, class is from 8-12 every morning. These lectures rarely have mandatory attendance. Anatomy lecture "requires" attendance every day, but you don't really have to go everyday after you max out your clicker points (MS3 now though so idk if they've changed that). You'll usually have 2-3 days a week with something mandatory in the afternoon (the easy year-round classes meet in the afternoon, and you'll also have most of your Clin Med SPBL stuff in the afternoon). I would say an average week the first 2 years consists of 3 days a week with a total of 7 hours required attendance. Obviously some weeks will have a lot more, and some a lot less, but most weeks are in that 2-3 day sweet spot.

As far as when you study, that varies from person to person and whether you home school or not. Personally, I woke up around noon most days, looked over a little bit of stuff from yesterday until the current day's lecture got posted about 2 pm, watched that day's lecture, and then was done for the day unless it was almost time for a test.

3rd year, your schedule = live at the hospital.

4th year is the promised land.

During your first 2 years, class is from 8-12 every morning. These lectures rarely have mandatory attendance. Anatomy lecture "requires" attendance every day, but you don't really have to go everyday after you max out your clicker points (MS3 now though so idk if they've changed that). You'll usually have 2-3 days a week with something mandatory in the afternoon (the easy year-round classes meet in the afternoon, and you'll also have most of your Clin Med SPBL stuff in the afternoon). I would say an average week the first 2 years consists of 3 days a week with a total of 7 hours required attendance. Obviously some weeks will have a lot more, and some a lot less, but most weeks are in that 2-3 day sweet spot.

As far as when you study, that varies from person to person and whether you home school or not. Personally, I woke up around noon most days, looked over a little bit of stuff from yesterday until the current day's lecture got posted about 2 pm, watched that day's lecture, and then was done for the day unless it was almost time for a test.

Thanks! This helps much!

I have a question on the blocks if you don't mind. Take for example Molecular and Cellular Systems. Does that include a variety of classes like biochem, cell bio, etc or is it just one class called "Molecular and Cellular Systems"?

I have a question on the blocks if you don't mind. Take for example Molecular and Cellular Systems. Does that include a variety of classes like biochem, cell bio, etc or is it just one class called "Molecular and Cellular Systems"?

It's just one class. It covers all of what would be multiple college classes (Cell bio, genetics,etc.), but it is all just one class.

Question: in the OKC interview rooms is there a whiteboard? Thanks,

OU has a really good post-interview acceptance rate. Do y'all think that's skewed with OOS applicants? Just wondering if getting to the interview as an OOSer is the hard part, or if it's still harder to clinch an acceptance after interviewing as an OOS applicant

Any ideas on when they will start announcing acceptances?

Mid to late December. So maybe the week of 12 Dec or 19 Dec.

OU has a really good post-interview acceptance rate. Do y'all think that's skewed with OOS applicants? Just wondering if getting to the interview as an OOSer is the hard part, or if it's still harder to clinch an acceptance after interviewing as an OOS applicant

Combining data from USNWR and OU's website, they conducted 282 interviews and 199 acceptances. So since 25% of class can be OOS, I'll speculate that 25% of the acceptances are for OOS students maybe.

How does it feel after a good interview at this school?

Any ideas on how many people will be accepted in mid/late December? I wonder what the GPA/MCAT range for those accepted during that time might be...