2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have indicated that you have close ties to Oklahoma. Please document these ties below in the space provided. Only nonresidents with ties are required to complete this portion of the supplemental application. (For oos - not sure if IS has any extra)

The rest are for the SCM track:

Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.

Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.

Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.

Please enter any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Which program track are you interested in?

Just last Wednesday! Waiting for verification. How's it going in your neck of the woods?

Haven't sent it in yet, planning on it this week though! I keep re-writing my PS lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts:

You have indicated that you have close ties to Oklahoma. Please document these ties below in the space provided. Only nonresidents with ties are required to complete this portion of the supplemental application. (For oos - not sure if IS has any extra)

The rest are for the SCM track:

Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.

Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.

Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.

Please enter any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome all and Good Luck. This is a great medical school.

I am starting next month here!
Ffeel free to shoot me any questions that you may have about the application process as someone who just successfully completed it I know how stressful it can be.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome all and Good Luck. This is a great medical school.

I am starting next month here!
Ffeel free to shoot me any questions that you may have about the application process as someone who just successfully completed it I know how stressful it can be.

Hello! First off, congratulations on your acceptance!! I hope I can be in your shoes this time next year. I am a little confused about secondaries. Do we receive an email link to the portal? Also, do we have to be verified to receive them? I submitted late June and haven't heard anything back so I'm getting nervous. I'm not verified yet, though.

Hello! First off, congratulations on your acceptance!! I hope I can be in your shoes this time next year. I am a little confused about secondaries. Do we receive an email link to the portal? Also, do we have to be verified to receive them? I submitted late June and haven't heard anything back so I'm getting nervous. I'm not verified yet, though.

I think they send once verified. I submitted in June, was just verified yesterday, received the secondary today

I received an an email link to portal Tuesday, submitted my primary last week

Very interesting that they don't start reviewing applications until September. Good news for me I guess as I won't be complete until mid-late August.

Hey fellas. Just got removed from "last year's" waiting list last week, so here I am up at it again. Lookin' forward to kicking rocks with ya'll for the next year. Still on OSU's waiting list but they start classes on Monday so I'm gonna go ahead and call myself a "no" for class 2020. That being said, you do NOT need to have your primary verified to get your secondary, so if you haven't gotten that already I'd email OU Med.

Hey fellas. Just got removed from "last year's" waiting list last week, so here I am up at it again. Lookin' forward to kicking rocks with ya'll for the next year. Still on OSU's waiting list but they start classes on Monday so I'm gonna go ahead and call myself a "no" for class 2020. That being said, you do NOT need to have your primary verified to get your secondary, so if you haven't gotten that already I'd email OU Med.
Do they care if you submit your secondary before your primary is verified?

Do they care if you submit your secondary before your primary is verified?
No; I submitted mine last year before mine was verified. They won't even start looking at applications until September. Of course, you need to have your complete file before you're considered for an interview.

In state Non-trad applying. Currently Finishing my 5 year officer commitment in the Air Force. Just finished my secondary and hoping to hear back!

hello guys. I have a question about Oklahoma residency. I was in Oklahoma from 2010 to july 2016, but i got my permanent residency in the US after i had started college. Would the state of Oklahoma consider me as an instate for medical school tuition?

hello guys. I have a question about Oklahoma residency. I was in Oklahoma from 2010 to july 2016, but i got my permanent residency in the US after i had started college. Would the state of Oklahoma consider me as an instate for medical school tuition?

They have guidelines listed in the secondary portal, but your best bet is to contact them directly to ask. I think you have to be a resident for the 12 months preceding matriculation though.

In my situation, I grew up in Oklahoma, from 9-18 years old, graduated high school, and got a scholarship to an OOS school, where I've lived since. But I go home multiple times a year, a lot of my family is still there, and my family itself has been in Oklahoma for generations - so I explained all of that in the question about OK ties- which I would also think you should do

II
Completed on 8/25
IS with Lizzy ~72

I wonder if the II are staggered. I assume they haven't filled the first block yet, so I guess they are going to send them out over next week or...

II today, Sunday. Must be staggered! Completed July 27

II this morning! Complete my secondary 9/5/ and my primary was verified 9/15. Wasn't expecting to hear back until October, but am super excited!

The website doesn't quite detail the interview day. Mind going over what the day at OKC is like and what the interview is like? Thanks!

I'm a reapplicant from last year. If it's anything like last year, the day will start out in the auditorium going over the basics of the first year and past admission statistics. A panel of med students will come and talk about their time on campus/campus life. Then you're split up into groups, and you go to either first, second, or third round of interviews (they don't do them all at once). Depending on your interview time, you spend most of the day with some med students touring the campus. After all interviews are done, everyone will go go eat lunch about 12, I think. Starting from lunch, you're free to go.

I'm a reapplicant from last year. If it's anything like last year, the day will start out in the auditorium going over the basics of the first year and past admission statistics. A panel of med students will come and talk about their time on campus/campus life. Then you're split up into groups, and you go to either first, second, or third round of interviews (they don't do them all at once). Depending on your interview time, you spend most of the day with some med students touring the campus. After all interviews are done, everyone will go go eat lunch about 12, I think. Starting from lunch, you're free to go.
Sounds good! And the interview itself, is it free flow conversation or standardized questions? I know that's it's closed file for the most part though.

Sounds good! And the interview itself, is it free flow conversation or standardized questions? I know that's it's closed file for the most part though.
All standardized questions. The first half is "semi-blind" meaning they don't know your MCAT, grades or recommendation letters. After your standardized questions, they send you out for a few minutes while they open up that info and take a peek, then they ask you back in and they'll ask any follow up questions and you get to make your final statements/own questions to them.