2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II last Tuesday! Reapplicant, IS, and LizzyM of 73.5. I was taken off the waitlist early August, so hoping this cycle goes a little better. Were the only options you all had to interview October 16-17 and November 6?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
II last Tuesday! Reapplicant, IS, and LizzyM of 73.5. I was taken off the waitlist early August, so hoping this cycle goes a little better. Were the only options you all had to interview October 16-17 and November 6?

Yep! I heard that if you are interviewing this early, then that means you will know by Christmas if you go Accepted/Rejected/Deferred. Anybody know if this is true?

Yep! I heard that if you are interviewing this early, then that means you will know by Christmas if you go Accepted/Rejected/Deferred. Anybody know if this is true?
I also heard this. I hope it is correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year the early interviews were told of their status on the December 21st, so I assume this year will be the same.

From what I understand, you have two weeks to put down a deposit after being accepted, but the deposit is refundable until April 30, which makes it where you can hold multiple acceptances until then.

Unless they have changed it this year, this should be correct. I can confirm this is how it has been the last 4 years.

Apparently the admissions office won't reply to my email for a SCM interview reschedule for almost two weeks now. Anyone know a number that we can call them at?

Apparently the admissions office won't reply to my email for a SCM interview reschedule for almost two weeks now. Anyone know a number that we can call them at?

I know the admissions office number to reach Dottie is (405)271-2331. I hope that helps!

II today!!! So happy :)

A sooner (pun intended) interview generally means a better chance at acceptance, right?

II today!!! So happy :)

A sooner (pun intended) interview generally means a better chance at acceptance, right?
Congrats! Any interview *invite* for October- early November generally means they view you as a competitive candidate based on your stats; last year when I interviewed (in November) I asked the medical student guide if the early interview myth was true, and he said "I was told I can't say you have a better chance....but that I can be more positive with your group." So in other words, there is some truth to it.

However, that being said, all interviewees that have done their interviews from October all the way through December are all considered together before the first round of acceptances go out before Christmas. So if you get an interview invite early (like now) you are competitive, but DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO SCHEDULE YOUR INTERVIEW FOR THE FIRST POSSIBLE DAY. If you are stuck between choosing an interview day between October 17th or November 6th, say, don't think that the earlier date is more advantageous.

On a side note, when I did schedule my interview a couple weeks ago I chose October 17th Monday just so I can get it out of the way, so if any of you are going then, hope to see you there!

Could anyone who interviewed last year give any more light on to what questions to expect in the initial 7 standard questions? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone who interviewed last year give any more light on to what questions to expect in the initial 7 standard questions? Thanks!
Expect the usual questions you might expect.

Why medicine?
What has been your biggest challenge (what's your biggest weakness?)
Biggest strength? (think about why you'd be unique, b/c remember everyone else is hard working and good at science).
All the other questions were around, "Tell me a time when...." so think hard about all your experiences and what you learned before you go in.

Things like that. I don't dare say they *wont,* but they did not ask me about health care nor did I speak to anyone that had questions like that either. However, it'd probably be good to know 3 things you like about Obamacare and 3 things you don't, or think about a health problem that's big in Oklahoma. Before the standardized format, some people got those, so even though it's rare you'd be asked, it might boost your confidence knowing you wouldn't be completely lost if they did ask you.

I do have a question for any successful reapplicants, as I myself am a second-time applicant. Anyone be able to tell me the kinds of questions they might ask reapplicants?

last year when I interviewed (in November) I asked the medical student guide if the early interview myth was true, and he said "I was told I can't say you have a better chance....but that I can be more positive with your group."

...I was there for that conversation, I'm reapplying too. XD As far as reapplicant questions, my general understanding is there is usually a question about how you are a better / different candidate this year. Did you go to the reapplicant workshop?

II today! OOS, 68ish LizzyM
Last year's OOS interview stats (1617 applicants, 42 interviews) were so dismal I had almost lost hope

Got my II in early October, scheduled a November interview. LizzyM 69, IS reapplicant.

I do have a question for any successful reapplicants, as I myself am a second-time applicant. Anyone be able to tell me the kinds of questions they might ask reapplicants?

They'll basically just ask what is different about your app/what you've done the past year. They definitely are looking hard to see what has changed, and might also ask questions about things that you haven't changed/done more of to see why. For instance, most people tell you to change your personal statement when reapplying, but I used the exact same one, and they asked me about that.

They'll basically just ask what is different about your app/what you've done the past year. They definitely are looking hard to see what has changed, and might also ask questions about things that you haven't changed/done more of to see why. For instance, most people tell you to change your personal statement when reapplying, but I used the exact same one, and they asked me about that.

Thanks, I appreciate that, that helps. Would you say your interview as a reapplicant was more critical than relaxed? Are they more conversational about your activities this past year or do they ask you the same sort of same standard questions? Thanks for your help, I'm going up this Monday and it'd be a damn shame if I got passed up again this year.

...I was there for that conversation, I'm reapplying too. XD As far as reapplicant questions, my general understanding is there is usually a question about how you are a better / different candidate this year. Did you go to the reapplicant workshop?

Hope we have better luck this year! Yeah I did, essentially I told my board member that I thought I wasn't vocal enough about how much I wanted to be a doctor and that I didn't really have any shadowing/clinical experience, and she said I was pretty right on the money so hopefully that means I fixed all that haha

For those who are reapplying, did they give you tips as to what they want you to change? Like do you know why you didn't get accepted? (I hope that's not too personal :/

For those who are reapplying, did they give you tips as to what they want you to change? Like do you know why you didn't get accepted? (I hope that's not too personal :/
For those immediately rejected or put on the waitlist, there's a reapplicant workshop around March where you get to sit with a board member who has seen your file and will discuss why you did not get accepted. They won't give you tips right at the interview because they don't know whether you are accepted or not.

For those immediately rejected or put on the waitlist, there's a reapplicant workshop around March where you get to sit with a board member who has seen your file and will discuss why you did not get accepted. They won't give you tips right at the interview because they don't know whether you are accepted or not.

That makes sense. Do they just say you should shadow more or what?...

That makes sense. Do they just say you should shadow more or what?...
I mean, it's gonna be dependent on you, there's no blanket statement for everyone, although more shadowing is always a plus. The board member will look at your file and help explain the weaknesses in your individual application, whether it was your interview itself, or if you didn't have enough volunteering/medical experience, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate that, that helps. Would you say your interview as a reapplicant was more critical than relaxed? Are they more conversational about your activities this past year or do they ask you the same sort of same standard questions? Thanks for your help, I'm going up this Monday and it'd be a damn shame if I got passed up again this year.

It was more critical in a relaxed way, if that makes sense. The questions were definitely a little tougher, but it was more like they wanted to give you the chance to tell them how you improved as opposed to being mean and being like "oh your last app sucked, prove you don't suck still" lol.

Like ChiSteak said, the reapplicant workshop will likely give you a good idea. I didn't go to it my first time around because I was 100% convinced I would end up being accepted (which, if we're being real, I should have lol I will always hold a little grudge about that), but I did go my 2nd year when I was still on the wait list. My board member was pretty vague and really didn't tell me what to improve for a long time until he started more obviously hinting that I was in a good spot on the wait list and likely wouldn't have to worry about reapplying again. I know other people who weren't in good spots on the list in years prior and who were basically told as much and given good advice on what to improve.

Congrats on whoever went today, and I hope to see my fellow SDNers at tomorrow's interview! I'll be the guy in the suit.

II today!!! Interview scheduled for 11/7!

The reapplicant workshop was definitely good to go to (so I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't get accepted this year). They do keep your self-analysis at the workshop, and I have a feeling that reapplicants will at least be partially judged based on how they followed the plan / advice taken from the meeting.

Anyone else interviewing mid/late November?

The reapplicant workshop was definitely good to go to (so I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't get accepted this year). They do keep your self-analysis at the workshop, and I have a feeling that reapplicants will at least be partially judged based on how they followed the plan / advice taken from the meeting.

I am! November 6

Absolutely spectacular experience interviewing here! Top notch facilities, good area and hospitals, and a very friendly student body. The interviews were very standard, three people (2 Drs. and 1 MS4) 7 questions that they ask you from their bank of questions and then you step out for a while (you can have water during this time, the M2's were very nice at actually getting us water bottles during this break) and then some follow ups about academics or any questions they had. OU quickly rose to the top of my school list after my day here!

Absolutely spectacular experience interviewing here! Top notch facilities, good area and hospitals, and a very friendly student body. The interviews were very standard, three people (2 Drs. and 1 MS4) 7 questions that they ask you from their bank of questions and then you step out for a while (you can have water during this time, the M2's were very nice at actually getting us water bottles during this break) and then some follow ups about academics or any questions they had. OU quickly rose to the top of my school list after my day here!

Any healthcare questions?

Any healthcare questions?
Nope, it was all "Tell me about a time you ..." type of questions. But if you feel passionate about healthcare policy/reform, definitely bring it up at the end where they ask "Anything else you'd like to share with us?"

Nope, it was all "Tell me about a time you ..." type of questions. But if you feel passionate about healthcare policy/reform, definitely bring it up at the end where they ask "Anything else you'd like to share with us?"
Awesome man. Congrats on your interview, sounds like it went great!

Interviewed here yesterday! I second everything yourboysaf said, it was an excellent experience!

Well, what did you think?

Definitely went very similar to my experience last year, same tour of course, and same type of interview. As for the interview itself, I'm pretty terrible at "tell me a time when..." questions. But this year they were good to say from the start, they are there to defend you against the admissions board, and also this year they were specific to ask "is there anything we didn't cover that you wanted to say?" That's a big opportunity for you, because even if you're bad at interview questions, at that moment you are still able to talk about what you want; your strong points, which specific experiences were most meaningful to you, why you think you'd make a great doctor. Last year they didn't ask me that, and ended with "do you have any questions for us?" and I literally ran out of time when I was about to bring up what I wanted. This year they give you a direct opportunity.

Absolutely true. For any re-applicants out there like me (and God-forbid, for all future reapplicants) they do know if you went to the reapplicant workshop and they DO have a copy of your self-evaluation and plan. They asked about mine, and fortunately I already knew what my weaknesses were (shadowing/clinical experiences) and I was able to confirm that I followed through. The interview is the same format; first part is 7 standard questions, and they do NOT know you are a reapplicant (unless, like me, you talked about it in your personal statement which is completely fine in my opinion, because you can show you reflected on your experience).

Good luck to you all!

Anyone interviewing at the Tulsa campus? I will be one of the first year students on interview days.

Last edited:
II interviewed on 10/17. First time ever participating in an interview as I wasn't able to utilize a committee interview at OU. The interview process was completely relaxed (I was way too nervous walking into it). All the questions were based on prior conflicts and how you solved/approached each conflict. I was surprised I did not receive any questions about the current issues on healthcare, but I do know others in my group did receive those questions. My recommendation is to focus on what conflicts you have had in life, organizations, and work and how you went about resolving them or realizing your failure in resolving them. If you have anything to add at the interview feel free because this is what I believe separates a good from a great interview.

If I could go back, I would tell myself how relaxed the whole day was. Amazing facilities and administrative staff. Cannot wait to hear back from the school. Life-long dream to apply here. Good luck to all other applicants and hopefully I will get to call you my classmates before next summer!

Last edited:

November 20!

Does anyone know how high the chances are of getting in if you interview Oct/Nov?

Does anyone know how high the chances are of getting in if you interview Oct/Nov?
There was a reddit thread that had 199 acceptances going out with 315 interviewed, I can't speak to if interviewing earlier gives you an advantage

Anyone else here doing the SCM interview as well and conflicted on whether to take an earlier interview date vs later and being able to tour the OU-Tulsa campus?