2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 for EFI update, complete 7/6

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@REL I meet the minimum for receiving UCF secondaries and my primary application was recently processed; however, I haven't received anything yet. How long does it usually take to receive a secondary?

@REL Are institutional actions / disciplinary records reviewed before EFI selections?

@REL I'm sorry if this has already been asked. But when do you foresee II going out?

Reactions: 1 user
@REL I meet the minimum for receiving UCF secondaries and my primary application was recently processed; however, I haven't received anything yet. How long does it usually take to receive a secondary?
Let me know if this is still the case by tomorrow afternoon. We have had two of our four member team out for a couple of days each and it has impacted our timeliness.

Let me know if this is still the case by tomorrow afternoon. We have had two of our four member team out for a couple of days each and it has impacted our timeliness.
Thank you @REL , I received the secondary today. I appreciate the quick response though :)

Got an email that they called me but I can't call them back right now Has this happened to anyone?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email that they called me but I can't call them back right now? Has this happened to anyone?
I missed their call this morning, called back 5 min later and left a message. Now waiting for a call back... I guess I should stop leaving my phone on silent.

AORTA EFI today! Hopefully an II to follow.

Reactions: 3 users
AORTA EFI today!! Woohoo!!

@REL I know the website says that in order to "be competitive for an interview" we should have >3.0 science and overall GPA. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 (a bunch of reasons why) but am finishing up an MS in a hard science with a 4.0. Will this be enough to avoid being screened out?

yes. speaking from experience.

+1 my undergrad was about the same. I took extra undergrad courses afterwards and then a masters to bring my cumulative up. a 2.9 UG GPA will not automatically disqualify you.

This may not be the right place for this question but UCF is my first choice of program and I am getting prepared to Apply in the next couple years as a Non-Traditional and would really like to know how the UCF reps feel about this topic directly.

I was an Army Medic for 4 years. I medically retired as a Corporal. During my service I worked in several capacities many of which included closely operating with Army PA's (Both with MS's and MD's) in several environments (Base Clinic, Battalion level Aid Stations, Line Company Medic, EMT Medical Coverage/Ambulence, Flight Medic and in Combat) and with several specialties. I am confused as to how exactly I should list this experience. I can see it as Clinical Hours, Physician Shadowing, Military Service, and even just Leadership... Should I split it up into all those catagories? How best can I do that? What levels of my medical practice would actually count as clinical hours? Should I estimate all the way down to my time on Coverage or in Combat?

This may not be the right place for this question but UCF is my first choice of program and I am getting prepared to Apply in the next couple years as a Non-Traditional and would really like to know how the UCF reps feel about this topic directly.

I was an Army Medic for 4 years. I medically retired as a Corporal. During my service I worked in several capacities many of which included closely operating with Army PA's (Both with MS's and MD's) in several environments (Base Clinic, Battalion level Aid Stations, Line Company Medic, EMT Medical Coverage/Ambulence, Flight Medic and in Combat) and with several specialties. I am confused as to how exactly I should list this experience. I can see it as Clinical Hours, Physician Shadowing, Military Service, and even just Leadership... Should I split it up into all those catagories? How best can I do that? What levels of my medical practice would actually count as clinical hours? Should I estimate all the way down to my time on Coverage or in Combat?
This is definitely something of a personal decision so take my advice with a grain of salt and get some other opinions.

For military experience in general, even if it was covering many areas, I separated each "job" by duty station/tour of duty. So if your 4 years was all in one location I would put it as one. If it was 2 I'd split it. That said nothing says you can't split it more but it seems like hair splitting a bit unless you need to fill more experiences. I would definitely recommend making it one of your most memorable experiences so you can expound though.

This is definitely something of a personal decision so take my advice with a grain of salt and get some other opinions.

For military experience in general, even if it was covering many areas, I separated each "job" by duty station/tour of duty. So if your 4 years was all in one location I would put it as one. If it was 2 I'd split it. That said nothing says you can't split it more but it seems like hair splitting a bit unless you need to fill more experiences. I would definitely recommend making it one of your most memorable experiences so you can expound though.

Oh it is definitely going to be at least one of my Most Important experiences. Thank you for your recommendation. I am just worried that if I only list it as Military Service... all those Clinical Hours, Treatment time and Shadowing hours would be over looked... best I can figure it I probably had 9,000 hours of it which will be the bulk of my experience. I also actually Worked for UCF office of research for several years before I signed up for the army in one of the schools animal facilities. My next question is if I can actually mark that as Research time since I managed animal colonies, collected samples (didnt analyze them though) and administered medication/treatments to the animals for probably two dozen different projects and labs. I was never included as a writer on a paper or what not but I did support several published works.

Oh it is definitely going to be at least one of my Most Important experiences. Thank you for your recommendation. I am just worried that if I only list it as Military Service... all those Clinical Hours, Treatment time and Shadowing hours would be over looked... best I can figure it I probably had 9,000 hours of it which will be the bulk of my experience. I also actually Worked for UCF office of research for several years before I signed up for the army in one of the schools animal facilities. My next question is if I can actually mark that as Research time since I managed animal colonies, collected samples (didnt analyze them though) and administered medication/treatments to the animals for probably two dozen different projects and labs. I was never included as a writer on a paper or what not but I did support several published works.
For that one I would list it as research and then elaborate as you did a bit here. Don't try to oversell it, but it counts in my opinion!

For the military service part I know what you're saying. You have a lot of clinical experience in there and want to make sure it counts. You could break it out. if you do that I would put your military experience in one and list leadership and daily things related to normal military life, then separate shadowing and clinical work as a medic where you were actually hands on.

II call this morning!

Submitted 7/27. Don't know exactly when I got the EFI status (did you guys get an email?) but definitely sometime between late last week and Monday.
OOS/3.8/518

Reactions: 2 users
II call this morning!

Submitted 7/27. Don't know exactly when I got the EFI status (did you guys get an email?) but definitely sometime between late last week and Monday.
OOS/3.8/518

congrats! hoping for some OOS love too :)

Reactions: 1 users
II call this morning!

OOS/3.8/518
Congrats! UCF, please love me, too!

Reactions: 1 users
for non-trad applicants, what do we put in the "new leadership" and "new clinical work" sections if we already mentioned it in the question that asks us what we'll be doing in our time off? Can we just repeat parts of our answer or should we just say we mentioned it on the previous page already?

I think I got a II call but I was on a plane and don't land until after their office closed. I will call tomorrow and see! I mean, why else would they call and email me though

EDIT: II!! Scheduled for 9/23
IS/3.68/516

Last edited:
for non-trad applicants, what do we put in the "new leadership" and "new clinical work" sections if we already mentioned it in the question that asks us what we'll be doing in our time off? Can we just repeat parts of our answer or should we just say we mentioned it on the previous page already?
I don't even remember those questions lol....:nailbiting:

If there is nothing new to add, please leave it blank. We do not want to read the same thing twice....it's ok to leave it blank.

II call on Tuesday! OOS LizzyM 75, complete 7/9, EFI ~10 days ago

@REL i submitted on july 29, and ive had the same status ever since, "file complete and ready for review". should i contact the office if there isnt a change soon?

@REL i submitted on july 29, and ive had the same status ever since, "file complete and ready for review". should i contact the office if there isnt a change soon?[
We processed several late this afternoon. If you aren't changed by Monday, give us a call.

II call this morning! Top choice!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

I couldn't help but notice your SDN signature... 23 IIs?!? Wow, that's awesome. I didn't even know that was possible. I was feeling pretty good about my 2 IIs until now hah...

Reactions: 2 users
No II :( kinda sad it was one of my top choices and I submitted a long time ago. Guess it's not meant to be. Been "AORTA" since 7/5

No II :( kinda sad it was one of my top choices and I submitted a long time ago. Guess it's not meant to be. Been "AORTA" since 7/5
Our schedule is for 30 interview groups of mostly 16 interviewees per interview day, sometimes only 12 however. Over each of the last three years we have interviewed 423, 425, and 424 each year. We are now filling interview group 2.....I'd say that there is a long way to go....this is by no means easy for applicants or the admissions committee...and this is not a sprint. Keep loose, hydrate, enjoy the scenery, and keep a steady pace, you will reach the goal.

Reactions: 18 users
complete august 29 still no EFI and i know more than meet their stats :(

complete august 29 still no EFI and i know more than meet their stats :(

Hard not to worry about, I know. I've seen a ton of people whiz past me at other schools. I think that a lot of it depends on the speed of the particular reviewers of your file.

I believe they are the same as last year! All have a 2000 character limit (except the last prompt)

1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.
2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below “B minus”, or course withdrawals.
3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.
4) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believe that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (2 pages, single spaced)
I do not
Just got the holy EFI :bow:

Anyone know how long they take for II after this status?
How long did you wait after submitting secondary?

I skipped past EFI straight from Under Review to Interview Invite but it took 20 business days

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

II. OOS Applicant, LizzyM: 74.5. I didn't expect an interview since I'm from Texas and I'm super excited!!!

Reactions: 3 users