2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a couple questions:
Does the secondary app come into your email and how long after submission does it take?
Also, for the letters of recommendation, I have 1 committee letter and 1 additional letter. Do I need one more character letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple questions:
Does the secondary app come into your email and how long after submission does it take?
Also, for the letters of recommendation, I have 1 committee letter and 1 additional letter. Do I need one more character letter?
Your committee letter is equal to 3 faculty letters. We need two additional character letters (if character letters are included in the committee package then we need nothing more).

So are applicants screened before the secondary or does every applicant receive one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nom but their secondary email states if you submit a secondary with a <3.0 or <24/500 then your app wont be processed and you wont be refunded the $30.
Hmmm... a 24 is not equal to a 500?

In this space, you may provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.

Can we talk about a high school travel experience?

Is it okay if a character letter comes from someone in academia (professor or research mentor) or should it definitely be someone outside of academia?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hmmm... a 24 is not equal to a 500?
Actually is very pretty close. The old and new exams are totally different and the percentiles the tests are not equal. None-the-less if you wanted to compare two things that are not equal the 43rd % of old exam is 24, the 43rd % of new exam is 498. Also for what it is worth 83% of all MD programs had a minimum MCAT score cutoff of higher than 24. Unlike most MD programs we do advertise our lowest threshold, and we cast a wide net by keeping that number much lower than a vast majority. To me it is irresponsible for a program to hide their low number from you -- it will cost you money, time, and some engenderment of hope where there is little. Many will use the term "holistic" and claim that they don't have a threshold, if that is true I wonder why their new class stats are rising?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Actually is very pretty close. The old and new exams are totally different and the percentiles the tests are not equal. None-the-less if you wanted to compare two things that are not equal the 43rd % of old exam is 24, the 43rd % of new exam is 498. Also for what it is worth 83% of all MD programs had a minimum MCAT score cutoff of higher than 24. Unlike most MD programs we do advertise our lowest threshold, and we cast a wide net by keeping that number much lower than a vast majority. To me it is irresponsible for a program to hide their low number from you -- it will cost you money, time, and some engenderment of hope where there is little. Many will use the term "holistic" and claim that they don't have a threshold, if that is true I wonder why their new class stats are rising?
Very true! Advertising the lows and highs is important. I honesty don't understand why other schools do not.

Did anyone else get an email about their file being complete and ready for review? My status on the portal though still says "Hold For Information" despite the fact that they have everything

Did anyone else get an email about their file being complete and ready for review? My status on the portal though still says "Hold For Information" despite the fact that they have everything
yup got the email

They should change within a short time so if there is still a discrepancy send an email to [email protected] to let them know.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long do they take for secondary here? Been waiting for ages, think something is up with my app. Worried abt them numbers.

Your committee letter is equal to 3 faculty letters. We need two additional character letters (if character letters are included in the committee package then we need nothing more).

I have a committee package which is equal to 1 committee letter + 5 separate letters of recommendation. The school advisor creates the specific mix of letters of recommendation, so I do not know who they are specifically from, it is usually a mix of PI + 2 science + 2 nonscience letters. Would I still need to seperately send in 2 character letters?

I have a committee package which is equal to 1 committee letter + 5 separate letters of recommendation. The school advisor creates the specific mix of letters of recommendation, so I do not know who they are specifically from, it is usually a mix of PI + 2 science + 2 nonscience letters. Would I still need to seperately send in 2 character letters?
Probably will need to add 1 character, many times we can be flexible with PI letter and count it as science or character. You can build a "port" in AMCAS for an author and send the electronic address to that author for them to easily upload.

I will not be getting a committee letter since my committee requires an MCAT score to get the ball rolling which I don't yet have, so I don't want to further delay my application. I have 5 independent letters: 2 from science faulty, 1 from nonscience faculty who I have done biomedical research with, and 2 from MDs (one of whom I worked for). Do you think this would satisfy my LOR component? As far as character letters go, I believe that some of my faculty letters will more strongly represent my character than the MD letters, but I will need them for the science/nonscience faculty component. I have the option of asking for a letter from a former supervisor if necessary.

I will not be getting a committee letter since my committee requires an MCAT score to get the ball rolling which I don't yet have, so I don't want to further delay my application. I have 5 independent letters: 2 from science faulty, 1 from nonscience faculty who I have done biomedical research with, and 2 from MDs (one of whom I worked for). Do you think this would satisfy my LOR component? As far as character letters go, I believe that some of my faculty letters will more strongly represent my character than the MD letters, but I will need them for the science/nonscience faculty component. I have the option of asking for a letter from a former supervisor if necessary.

Looks good. I wish you well.

Reactions: 1 user
Really like the faculty that composes the board, think they really care about their students. At the top of the list for me! Does ucf have a more stringest policy for OOS people compared to instate? Such as mcat ...etc?

Really like the faculty that composes the board, think they really care about their students. At the top of the list for me! Does ucf have a more stringest policy for OOS people compared to instate? Such as mcat ...etc?
No different criteria for in/out of state. The only difference is that we will accept more in than out for the final class 75/25 split of 12o after all is done.

No different criteria for in/out of state. The only difference is that we will accept more in than out for the final class 75/25 split of 12o after all is done.
ok thanks!

It's on your dashboard, to the right of your picture and underneath the instructions for completing the secondary.

Hi, I'm hoping to apply to UCF, love the school.

I had a question, I currently meet the minimum requirements to receive a secondary from UCF but I also stated on my AMCAS that I will be retaking the MCAT in August...will this prevent me from receiving the secondaries because UCF will be waiting for my new MCAT score?

Thank you for the help @REL

Hi, I'm hoping to apply to UCF, love the school.

I had a question, I currently meet the minimum requirements to receive a secondary from UCF but I also stated on my AMCAS that I will be retaking the MCAT in August...will this prevent me from receiving the secondaries because UCF will be waiting for my new MCAT score?

Thank you for the help @REL
No, the committee will process your application if you meet minimums. Good job in indicating a future MCAT date, the committee will review your application again when the new score arrives.

So my essay ended up formatting weirdly in the typing box when I submitted. It looks fine when I preview my application and look at the pdf version. Anyone know if the adcoms will see the essay via the typing box or if they will see what is seen when we click "preview application"?

Hey @REL, you probably know the answer to this. I submitted an academic change request and it was approved. AMCAS said that an update went out to all the med schools I applied to and the schools just have to download it. Does UCF automatically re-download my application once they get the update or should I call and let them know?

So my essay ended up formatting weirdly in the typing box when I submitted. It looks fine when I preview my application and look at the pdf version. Anyone know if the adcoms will see the essay via the typing box or if they will see what is seen when we click "preview application"?

We have seen some times when the final pdf did not render properly to an applicant. In every case it renders properly to the committee side. Not to worry.

Hey @REL, you probably know the answer to this. I submitted an academic change request and it was approved. AMCAS said that an update went out to all the med schools I applied to and the schools just have to download it. Does UCF automatically re-download my application once they get the update or should I call and let them know?
It is a good idea to send an email to a program after they have had the chance to review the original. Some programs download the applications into other systems and the changes may not always follow into that other system.

Just one question: I am waiting on a LOR but does your admissions provide interview invites prior to reading an applicant's LORs?

is there a pre-screen for the secondary at this school?

Just one question: I am waiting on a LOR but does your admissions provide interview invites prior to reading an applicant's LORs?
The committee will not review a file for interview until requirements have been met and all required elements of the file have been received.

The committee will not review a file for interview until requirements have been met and all required elements of the file have been received.
This is my first post. My application is complete but I am retaking the MCAT in September. My current score on file does not meet the minimum. Is this why I did not receive a secondary? I received one from all of the other Florida Medical Schools except UCF and FAU.

Last edited:
This is my first post. My application is complete but I am retaking the MCAT in September. My current score on file does not meet the minimum. Is this why I did not receive a secondary? I received one from all of the other Florida Medical Schools except UCF and FAU.
Likely, yes. We do look for minimums prior to sending a secondary. We do not want to accept your app fee or waste your time if you may not become eligible for the secondary. That is why we publish a minimum, I do not believe it to be responsible to do these things otherwise. If you meet the minimum you will receive a secondary and it will be reviewed for possible interview selection. We have seats available throughout the process so that should not be a concern. I wish you well.

Likely, yes. We do look for minimums prior to sending a secondary. We do not want to accept your app fee or waste your time if you may not become eligible for the secondary. That is why we publish a minimum, I do not believe it to be responsible to do these things otherwise. If you meet the minimum you will receive a secondary and it will be reviewed for possible interview selection. We have seats available throughout the process so that should not be a concern. I wish you well.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
What does AORTA stand for?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't stand for anything. It's just a cute nickname UCF gives indicating that we're in the main pipe for an interview. There are two possible statuses after your are complete: AORTA-ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW or NOT ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW. You typically find out your status 15 business days after you complete all application requirements.

What exactly does being eligible for an interview mean? I assume that not everyone who is eligible will actually get an interview, but it also has to be more than just meeting minimum requirements, right?

This was in the complete email: "An Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) will begin a full review of your entire application to consider you for an interview".

This was in the complete email: "An Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants (AORTA) will begin a full review of your entire application to consider you for an interview".
Seriously? :rofl:How on earth did I miss that? Thanks, docE.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure it doesn't stand for anything. It's just a cute nickname UCF gives indicating that we're in the main pipe for an interview. There are two possible statuses after your are complete: AORTA-ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW or NOT ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW. You typically find out your status 15 business days after you complete all application requirements.
Thanks! So... Should I be worried that I am still Status Complete for like 3 weeks now haha

Thanks! So... Should I be worried that I am still Status Complete for like 3 weeks now haha
Firstly, see docE's post above. Turns out AORTA does stand for something. But no, you should not worry yet. In previous threads, if people have not seen a change in status after >15 business days, they shoot an email to REL.

No one should be worried yet. We are getting the AORTA teams in gear and they will begin meeting next week....there is always a tiny lag at the beginning.

Reactions: 2 users
No one should be worried yet. We are getting the AORTA teams in gear and they will begin meeting next week....there is always a tiny lag at the beginning.
Thanks @REL that is calming and good to hear! :)