2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-quartile board scores and strong matches. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country, our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty. We look forward to working with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year. Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh my. Here I go! Hopefully, UCF will show me some love!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a graduating student who is moving on to residency but I'm happy to answer questions. PM me and I'll try to come back and post the questions and answers anonymously for others to benefit.

I read on the UCF College of Medicine website that two character letters are required in addition to 3 individual faculty letters (or a Committee Letter). Is it okay if the two character letters come with the Committee Letter packet as one file? Or do these all have to be separate? Thanks!

I read on the UCF College of Medicine website that two character letters are required in addition to 3 individual faculty letters (or a Committee Letter). Is it okay if the two character letters come with the Committee Letter packet as one file? Or do these all have to be separate? Thanks!
Absolutely, all in one packet is great! Individually uploaded by the author is also fine. Either way just as long as you send them into AMCAS and assign them to us we will take it from there.

I am currently in a M.S. program & recently took the MCAT this weekend. I took the MCAT before (during undergrad) and meet the minimum for UCF's secondary. However, I am considering taking the exam again (either end of Aug or Sept 1) after I finish classes b/c I think that I could improve my score. Would another re-take hurt my application if I improved my score? Also, will adcom consider me a late applicant if my scores won't be available until end of Sept or early Oct?

I am currently in a M.S. program & recently took the MCAT this weekend. I took the MCAT before (during undergrad) and meet the minimum for UCF's secondary. However, I am considering taking the exam again (either end of Aug or Sept 1) after I finish classes b/c I think that I could improve my score. Would another re-take hurt my application if I improved my score? Also, will adcom consider me a late applicant if my scores won't be available until end of Sept or early Oct?
Should not be a problem as long as your new score does not go down. ALWAYS update your "next MCAT test date" on your AMCAS app so a program will know another is coming. I wish you well.

Would the following satisfy the LoR requirements?

1. Letter from developmental anatomy prof
2. Letter from microbiology prof
3. Letter from comp sci prof
4. Letter from instructor ( only has masters) who I TA'D for
5. Letter from doctor I shadowed or volunteer coordinator

@REL

Would the following satisfy the LoR requirements?

1. Letter from developmental anatomy prof
2. Letter from microbiology prof
3. Letter from comp sci prof
4. Letter from instructor ( only has masters) who I TA'D for
5. Letter from doctor I shadowed or volunteer coordinator

@REL
Yes, but it would be stronger with another letter from outside of academia, more of a character letter who can address who you are away from academia. Six letters is also fine.

Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-quartile board scores and strong matches. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country, our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty. We look forward to working with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year. Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.
Hi, what are the OSS statistics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, what are the OSS statistics?
I'm not sure what this means, all students (FL or non) have to meet/exceed the same entry requirements. We do not have two sets of standards if that is your question. www.med.ucf.edu gives you program information and our most recent viewbook to review information and matriculated class data and information.

Yes, we reserve 25-28% of our 120 seats for non-Florida residents and have provided some amount of scholarship or grant to every student that we have matriculated to date.

Scholarship or grant for even IS students? if so thats amazing!

Hi REL,

Thank you for answering our questions.

Is it possible to send a sixth LOR for an update later in the year?

I glimpsed at UCF's secondary questions from last year, and the question on provide new information not on your AMCAS application. Is it okay to if I use this question to expand on it, even if I mentioned it in my app? I wrote a one word description of my hobby on my app. But, I did not really expand on it.

Thank you, ahead!

Hi REL,

Thank you for answering our questions.

Is it possible to send a sixth LOR for an update later in the year?

I glimpsed at UCF's secondary questions from last year, and the question on provide new information not on your AMCAS application. Is it okay to if I use this question to expand on it, even if I mentioned it in my app? I wrote a one word description of my hobby on my app. But, I did not really expand on it.

Thank you, ahead!
Minimum LOR's is five, one or two more is acceptable. Once you have the original five we will review entire file if secondary has been submitted. You can always add letters later, they could eventually help to be accepted for interview later if necessary. Similar secondary - no school wants to read the same thing twice in an application. Use it to expand is ok.

Secondary received! I do have a question though - how do we enter online courses? I think something got cut off in the instructions.

"We ask that you provide your answer in a string of 5 fields of information. (1) The first field of your answer will help us understand course content delivery and examinations. Please start a line with: ALL, if all course content was delivered online and exams were also completed online; start a line with TST, if all course content was delivered online and exams were proctored at a test facility or school; or start a line with CLS, if course content was delivered online a"

I am probably overlooking something simple, but I can't figure out how to expand to read what the other 4 fields of information are.

Secondary received! I do have a question though - how do we enter online courses? I think something got cut off in the instructions.

"We ask that you provide your answer in a string of 5 fields of information. (1) The first field of your answer will help us understand course content delivery and examinations. Please start a line with: ALL, if all course content was delivered online and exams were also completed online; start a line with TST, if all course content was delivered online and exams were proctored at a test facility or school; or start a line with CLS, if course content was delivered online a"

I am probably overlooking something simple, but I can't figure out how to expand to read what the other 4 fields of information are.

Could you post prompts please? Thanks a lot!

I believe they are the same as last year! All have a 2000 character limit (except the last prompt)

1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.
2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below “B minus”, or course withdrawals.
3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.
4) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believe that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (2 pages, single spaced)

I believe they are the same as last year! All have a 2000 character limit (except the last prompt)

1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.
2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below “B minus”, or course withdrawals.
3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application.
4) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different than you AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the diversity of our students within the classroom and believe that the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (2 pages, single spaced)

Thanks a lot!

Okay, just kidding about the online classes. It decided to play nice and give me the rest of the paragraph! :)

Scholarship or grant for even IS students? if so thats amazing!

*Rel may have to correct some inaccuracies if things have changed recently. My apologies if so*

Yes. I was an instate applicant and got a very generous grant offer. Combined with their already low tuition compared to other FL programs, this place is one of the least expensive (if not the absolute least expensive) programs in the state. You might want to double check the MSAR. Also, the facilities are incredibly nice. Things I'm jealous of because I ended up going somewhere else and don't have them:

1) Parking: Last time I visited in 2014, you could park right next to the building that housed all your classes in the first two years. This is definitely NOT the case everywhere
2) Penthouse anatomy lab with windows: because a nice view to the outside is appreciated when you're in there for hours
3) Treadmills with tables attached: because working out while studying saves a lot of time. You can set your computer or books on these while you use them. I can't remember if they go at a pace for running or if they're just for walking, but either way, I want one.
4) Orlando: I grew up here (conflict of interest), but regardless, there's so much to do in your down time (attractions, beaches, etc.). And yes, you will have some time for fun

Another thing to note is their philosophy of flexibility and student inclusion in the development of their program. They really seem like they want their program to fit their students, not that they want their students to fit their program (of course you have to attend required activities and such). I don't think they'll ever be a one-size-fits-all program that processes all students through it on the same conveyor belt. They appreciate your input and contributions.

They have a required "research" experience, but this can basically be anything you want it to be, and perhaps anywhere you want it to be. I have yet to hear of them denying any proposal, but again, I haven't been formally connected with them for a couple of years. Your "research" experience can involve the arts or any other academic discipline, so if you're turned off by the idea of "required research", just think of it as your own creative outlet. Everyone is passionate about SOMETHING. Almost all medical students elsewhere get involved in some sort of project at some point anyway, regardless of requirement.

Nom but their secondary email states if you submit a secondary with a <3.0 or <24/500 then your app wont be processed and you wont be refunded the $30.
ah ok thanks, i guess they won't send it to me until i submit my MCAT score, which i will be taking next month

Submitted today! Good luck everyone!!

Hello all, just stopping in.

I am a deferred acceptance from last cycle and will happily answer any questions people have to the best of my ability. You will find the staff at UCF and REL in particular extremely helpful, but I know not everyone wants to ask the schools questions, so feel free to use me as a sounding board. PMs welcome and I apologize for any delay in my responses but I'll try to check in daily, but every couple of days at least.

Good luck to all!

Hi everyone! So for the secondary, question 5.1 asks for the anticipated course work for the academic year but the application doesn't want anything repeated from AMCAS. Should I write "anticipated coursework listed on AMCAS" in that space? Thank you!!

This was a monstrous secondary... glad to get it out of the way. Reapplicant that hadn't previously applied here, but this school looks amazing!!! Hoping they are nice to OOS.

This was a monstrous secondary... glad to get it out of the way. Reapplicant that hadn't previously applied here, but this school looks amazing!!! Hoping they are nice to OOS.
UCF is extremely receptive to OOS applicants!

"Letters of Evaluation (LOE) will be accepted VIA AMCAS ONLY, letters received by any other means will be destroyed."

I wanted to confirm that Interfolio is ok to use. I am assuming yes?

"Letters of Evaluation (LOE) will be accepted VIA AMCAS ONLY, letters received by any other means will be destroyed."

Yes. Inter folio sends to AMCAS. UCF just means don't lick the envelopes yourself and mail letters directly from your dorm room to their admissions office. Also don't have any letter writers mail letters directly to UCF. Everything has to go through AMCAS.

Interfolio through AMCAS yes, just don't have them send directly to UCF.

edit: don't know why Gryffindor20's post didn't show up but mine is obviously redundant now.

What are everyone's thoughts on the essay question? I am frustrated that its essentially the same prompt as the personal statement, yet they want a different essay. I've been trying to write it all day and have three drafts that have the same essence as my personal statement but are just written differently and not as good.

What are everyone's thoughts on the essay question? I am frustrated that its essentially the same prompt as the personal statement, yet they want a different essay. I've been trying to write it all day and have three drafts that have the same essence as my personal statement but are just written differently and not as good.

I agree! I don't know what to write about. I pretty much poured my soul into my PS haha

So your personal statement was directed toward UCF or medical programs in general? This essay can be more about why UCF, what you will bring to your class, what you expect to achieve in our specific curriculum or teaching methodology. You can weave in your personal interests and experiences throughout these topics. You can tease a lot more out based on these few ideas. I wish you well.

Reactions: 1 users
Any enlightenment on the difference between the "plan for the next academic year" versus the regarding work, research do you have any NEW info?
I am working a full time job and doing clinical research for the next year, and didn't mention either of them on AMCAS. I don't want to be redundant.

Any enlightenment on the difference between the "plan for the next academic year" versus the regarding work, research do you have any NEW info?
I am working a full time job and doing clinical research for the next year, and didn't mention either of them on AMCAS. I don't want to be redundant.
If it is not redundant and helps us to understand how you are allocating your time, I suspect that it is fair game.

I have a few questions for these essay questions:

Should I still answer question number one, even if I will be a full-time student next year?

2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below B minus, or course withdrawals.

Can I explain a bad MCAT score here or just leave it blank?

I just do not want to miss anything. So, I am asking to make sure. Thank you, ahead!

Should I still answer question number one, even if I will be a full-time student next year?

2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below B minus, or course withdrawals.

I just do not want to miss anything. So, I am asking to make sure. Thank you, ahead!

I think talking about a poor MCAT score is bad idea. There really is no explanation that won't sound like you're making excuses (i.e. you didn't have enough time to study because of other commitments, you felt the test played into your weaknesses, you had an issue on test day and decided not to void). If you're unhappy with your score and think it will hold you back from an acceptance then retake it. If you think you still have a shot at an acceptance with your less than stellar score go ahead and apply, but highlight your strengths and talk about why you should be accepted, don't make excuses for your weaknesses.

Reactions: 2 users

1) No, we have plenty of reading to do. If you are going to be in academics then......you are not not going to be out of academics this year.
2) mhelm816 sums this up nicely, plus we don't care to read more than we already have to. Key points - concise, on task, on target, no repeats.

I am having trouble with #3 and #4.

For #3, I wrote a diversity essay.

For #4, should I write a diversity + challenge essay? What do I write for it? A lot of what could be said for #4 I wrote for #3

So I basically wrote a complementary personal statement for #4 to highlight qualities and experiences I did not discuss, but I am also having trouble with #3... I may just leave it blank. Is it worth bringing up familial ties to the area? I am OOS

I am having trouble with #3 and #4.

For #3, I wrote a diversity essay.

For #4, should I write a diversity + challenge essay? What do I write for it? A lot of what could be said for #4 I wrote for #3

I am confused and am probably having a senior moment so please be gentle and vector me in. Our supplemental application is not asking for an essay for items 3 and 4. They are asking for information about on-line coursework(3) and then Florida residency(4).

Last edited: