2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone had a status change with AORTA?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be starting a SMP at Georgetown in a few weeks. The instructions say not to include any information that's already in AMCAS, but should I describe my coursework in the space that says, "In this space, describe your anticipated coursework for the academic year."?

Hi @REL, I was wondering if it would be possible for a letter from my TA to count towards a character letter. I already have three professor letters for the faculty component and one PI letter for the character component.
We can often justify a PI letter for a character letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be starting a SMP at Georgetown in a few weeks. The instructions say not to include any information that's already in AMCAS, but should I describe my coursework in the space that says, "In this space, describe your anticipated coursework for the academic year."?
Good program in a great place. If entered on your projected transcript in AMCAS, no. If not listed anywhere else, then yes.

@REL

How does UCF view applicants who are using their time before medical school to pursue an SMP? Does the committee still consider the candidate for medical school if they are not able to see all the grades from the program?

so I submitted my secondary and just noticed that for some reason after I submitted my essay, It got reformatted and some words are missing spaces between them -__- I copy and pasted the essay from microsoft word into the box and in word, it was perfect. I went through it on the webpage and it is still readable though, should I contact them about this? I wouldn't mind using up one of the 3 attachment options to upload it without the error

@REL

Last edited:
so I submitted my secondary and just noticed that for some reason after I submitted my essay, It got reformatted and some words are missing spaces between them -__- I copy and pasted the essay from microsoft word into the box and in word, it was perfect. I went through it on the webpage and it is still readable though, should I contact them about this? I wouldn't mind using up one of the 3 attachment options to upload it without the error

@REL

Do adcoms see our essay the way it looks when we click "preview", or do they see it from our point of view in the essay section? Mine looks okay when I "preview" it, but got totally weird in the essay section when I submitted it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do adcoms see our essay the way it looks when we click "preview", or do they see it from our point of view in the essay section? Mine looks okay when I "preview" it, but got totally weird in the essay section when I submitted it.

mine looked weird in both the pdf preview and the actual essay section, but I emailed them and was told the essay was fine so you should be good!

for the people who submitted their ucf secondary already, how long did it take after submission to get the confirmation email and status change from "hold". some of my friends who are starting ucf com mentioned that the white coat ceremony was today so maybe the office is busy with the first year class atm

white coat was yesterday and after you submit your secondary and are complete the status is "ready for review" until they decide if you're "eligible for interview" or not. I was never "hold"

Reactions: 1 user
white coat was yesterday and after you submit your secondary and are complete the status is "ready for review" until they decide if you're "eligible for interview" or not. I was never "hold"

yesterday* haha and mine says this: "HOLD FOR INFORMATION
Awaiting completion of Supplemental Application, Fee Payment, and receipt of all LOR's. Once you have submitted the supplemental and fees we will begin a MANUAL process to review for AMCAS LOR's. This may take 3-5 business days to complete and change to the next status. We appreciate your patience. Next Status: File Complete - Ready for Review, or Not Competitive for Interview" going back in this thread i noticed some other people also had that status

Members don't see this ad :)
Two questions -
1) I can't find any information on their website about the minimum GPA/MCAT for receiving a secondary, where is everyone finding this?
2) Do you receive a secondary from UC's only after your AMCAS has been verified? Submitted my primary 13/7 and should be verified in the next few business days.

Just got the holy EFI :bow:

Anyone know how long they take for II after this status?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the holy EFI :bow:

Anyone know how long they take for II after this status?

+1. I did not get an email. Just checked the portal.

Does anybody know what the criteria for EFI is? Is it more than a GPA and MCAT and minimum volunteer activities check?

+1. I did not get an email. Just checked the portal.

Does anybody know what the criteria for EFI is? Is it more than a GPA and MCAT and minimum volunteer activities check?

Idk the specific criteria. But a previous thread showed 61% of all applicants got EFI and 14% out of the EFI groups received interviews. So its a milestone but not the bottleneck.

EDIT: Of course if ur in-state it helps :)

From last years threads, it looks like the first AORTA status change was July 27th and first II were August 5th.

Do they II by phone?

From last years threads, it looks like the first AORTA status change was July 27th and first II were August 5th.

Do they II by phone?

Im pretty sure they review weekly. Status/II are in patterns of 7 days. So prob II are gonna start next week

+1 on EFI update... complete 7/21, OOS

Do they II by phone?

From UCF website (https://med.ucf.edu/administrative-offices/student-affairs/admissions/m-d-program-interview-process/):

"Those selected for interviews are contacted by telephone and e-mail by the M.D. Program Admissions Office to schedule interview visits. This confirmation e-mail will also provide an agenda, local travel, overnight accommodations information, parking, and other details to enhance the applicant's visit."

Looks like they do email and phone.

EFI today! Complete 7/20 although I submitted secondary 7/13. I'm out of state

Probably being irrational, but I'm a little freaked out that my status didn't change

EFI is not that big of a deal. Unless there is a huge red flag on your application I am sure you will get your status updated soon. I think the great filter is between EFI and actually invited to interview. Plus it's still early, don't stress friend :thumbup:

Whats the percentage of going EFI -> II ?

EFI AND I'M STILL EXCITED ABOUT IT

submitted july 29 which is not too long ago and my status says "file complete ready for review" @born2run

Already got my rejection. Oh well, I have two II already.

Finally got the EFI status! Thank God! :clap:

How telling is this for my chances for an II?

Anyone get EFI after 7/21 yet?

@REL I know the website says that in order to "be competitive for an interview" we should have >3.0 science and overall GPA. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 (a bunch of reasons why) but am finishing up an MS in a hard science with a 4.0. Will this be enough to avoid being screened out?

@REL I know the website says that in order to "be competitive for an interview" we should have >3.0 science and overall GPA. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 (a bunch of reasons why) but am finishing up an MS in a hard science with a 4.0. Will this be enough to avoid being screened out?
yes. speaking from experience.

Usually yes, providing that it is a core science-based MS and not a science-light MPH.