2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe the other UC's have strong in-state bias, so it might not be worth your money to apply.

Figured as much. Will probably throw an app at USC /since it's slightly more favorable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

UCSD was really fast for me, and then UCSF came a month later. Still waiting on UCLA. I think it's difficult to predict.
I've been verified since mid June and still waiting on UCLA. Though managed to get the rest of the UCs.
Figured as much. Will probably throw an app at USC /since it's slightly more favorable.

Definitely worth a shot. Plus Iirc they give everyone a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the other UC's have strong in-state bias, so it might not be worth your money to apply.
The only UCs with an IS bias is Davis and Riverside. The others have a lot of Cali students, but that's only because they have a higher proportion of Cali applicants, and of those that get in, Cali applicants are more likely to matriculate. Otherwise, on their website, they state that they don't have an IS bias.

The only UCs with an IS bias is Davis and Riverside. The others have a lot of Cali students, but that's only because they have a higher proportion of Cali applicants, and of those that get in, Cali applicants are more likely to matriculate. Otherwise, on their website, they state that they don't have an IS bias.

even though they say they don't have an IS bias, MSAR shows you're much more likely to get an interview if you're IS. EX: UCSF has 3548 IS applicants, 3625 OOS applicants. 251 IS interviewed 186 OOS interviewed. it's weird to me how 70 less are interviewed OOS even though same # apply. not totally sure what's going on with that or if more IS are getting secondaries but same situation goes for UCLA and UCSD. seems like some IS bias in there somewhere

even though they say they don't have an IS bias, MSAR shows you're much more likely to get an interview if you're IS. EX: UCSF has 3548 IS applicants, 3625 OOS applicants. 251 IS interviewed 186 OOS interviewed. it's weird to me how 70 less are interviewed OOS even though same # apply. not totally sure what's going on with that or if more IS are getting secondaries but same situation goes for UCLA and UCSD. seems like some IS bias in there somewhere
Fair enough. I'd argue that there are probably more strong California applicants proportionally, but then again ALL California students apply, and 70 would be too much.

But also, even so, it'd be a relatively small bias compared to other public schools.

is it bad if my autobiography is focused more on my undergrad years? I gave a brief intro about my upbringing and family but i feel like my undergrad years was when everything came together/my life was exciting lol

is it bad if my autobiography is focused more on my undergrad years? I gave a brief intro about my upbringing and family but i feel like my undergrad years was when everything came together/my life was exciting lol
I think it's fine if there's a lot you didn't include in your primary.

I think it's fine if there's a lot you didn't include in your primary.

yeah my PS talked more about my ECs, but for this secondary it was more self reflection and what I gained from certain life events during undergrad, courses, research

yeah my PS talked more about my ECs, but for this secondary it was more self reflection and what I gained from certain life events during undergrad, courses, research
I think that's exactly what they're looking for. Sounds like you're really diving into how you've grown and it's going to be really good :)

Reactions: 1 user
II today!!!! :biglove: IS, complete 08/08

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary. Time to write a book haha btw I got it on the portal thing but didnt get email. Did this happen to anybody?

UC schools favor IS applicants!

Last edited:
Yeah, i think it's just because we paid a secondary fee and we are in their system. Nothing exciting!

is there any correlation between receiving UCSD's secondary and receiving secondaries from the other UCs?

I've gotten UCSD and UCR so far, patiently awaiting the others

is there any correlation between receiving UCSD's secondary and receiving secondaries from the other UCs?

Doesn't look like it. I got UCSF and UCSD, but have been waiting on UCLA for two months now. There's similar stories on all of the forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Doesn't look like it. I got UCSF and UCSD, but have been waiting on UCLA for two months now. There's similar stories on all of the forums.

are you IS? I'd be ecstatic to get UCSF i was verified around mid-august so i guess ill keep waiting

I don't know if there is a correlation but I think its safe to say that if you are IS and got a secondary from a UC you're bound to get at least get another. I received a secondary from all the UCs except UCLA. I'm not holding my breath for that one but I'm not necessarily loosing hope either, I know they tend to send them out in different batches.

are you IS? I'd be ecstatic to get UCSF i was verified around mid-august so i guess ill keep waiting
Nope, I'm OOS, but IS people seem to have the same thing happening to them. I got UCSF about two weeks- a month after I added them. I think it was closer to a month. UCSD was very quick. Hopefully we both end up getting UCLA! :)

I don't know if there is a correlation but I think its safe to say that if you are IS and got a secondary from a UC you're bound to get at least get another. I received a secondary from all the UCs except UCLA. I'm not holding my breath for that one but I'm not necessarily loosing hope either, I know they tend to send them out in different batches.

I would disagree. It seems that UCD, UCR, and UCSF each screen their applicants for qualities other than numbers.

Does anybody have any insight on how this school view secondary turn around time? I have been sitting on this secondary for a little over a month. I am very interested in this school but weighing my chances with this school vs. other schools, I opted to do other secondaries first. Should I bother at this point?

Does anybody have any insight on how this school view secondary turn around time? I have been sitting on this secondary for a little over a month. I am very interested in this school but weighing my chances with this school vs. other schools, I opted to do other secondaries first. Should I bother at this point?

I'm pretty sure there was a strict deadline of 1 month for the secondary. As in, if you received the secondary August 2nd, today would have been the deadline. You should double-check, but you may have missed the boat here.

I'm pretty sure there was a strict deadline of 1 month for the secondary. As in, if you received the secondary August 2nd, today would have been the deadline. You should double-check, but you may have missed the boat here.

^ They make that very clear in the email they send out with the secondary link.

Oh you're absolutely right. Well - one less secondary to worry about. Good luck everyone!

Finished 1st draft of secondary received 2 weeks ago. Gonna revise and try to submit this weekend. #LaborDay for real

If i got secondary this week and submit it next week am i on time? Prob will submit next tuesday or weds.

If i got secondary this week and submit it next week am i on time? Prob will submit next tuesday or weds.

As long as you submit it before the 1-month deadline, you should be fine. But in general, sending it in ASAP (and proofread) is best.

Hello!

I just submitted my AMCAS and am waiting for an MCAT score. I'm out of state applying for the MD/PhD and I wanted to see if the prompts for the secondary application were posted just in case I'm invited to submit one.

Good luck everyone!!

@Chemist1986 the prompt is the first post on this thread. There are additional ones depending on if you express interest in any of their other programs and also "Enter a brief description of your future career goals - 400 characters "

Submitted UCSD Secondary just now. OOS applicant.

mine was 6000 characters long. Received 8/19

Has UCSD placed any of you guys on the hold to interview list? I submitted my secondary on 07/9, and It's creeping toward that 8-10 week mark where they send final decisions to applicants. I was just curious to see if any of you guys have waited that long to get a response and if so, what was the outcome? Good luck everybody!

*Edit I'm not on the hold to interview list. I was just curious to see if anyone fell into that hold and how long after submitting their secondary did it usually occur.

Has UCSD placed any of you guys on the hold to interview list? I submitted my secondary on 07/9, and It's creeping toward that 8-10 week mark where they send final decisions to applicants. I was just curious to see if any of you guys have waited that long to get a response and if so, what was the outcome? Good luck everybody!

*Edit I'm not on the hold to interview list. I was just curious to see if anyone fell into that hold and how long after submitting their secondary did it usually occur.
I submitted 7/14 so we're in the same boat. Not on hold, just the dastardly "--".

anyone having trouble accessing the secondary link and the admissions website? I'm trying to submit my secondary but I can't access either.

Secondary received July 14th. submitted July 22nd. interview received August 24th. Lizzy M 75 and San Diego Resident. I actually fainted for a split second when I got the news. Soooo stoked, it has been my dream school for the past 5 years

anyone having trouble accessing the secondary link and the admissions website? I'm trying to submit my secondary but I can't access either.
I also can't look at my status right now

II today!! IS, complete middle of August, LM~80

Reactions: 1 users
II today as well!! UCSD would be a dream come true.

Submitted on 9/11

Anyone know the turnaround time for potentially receiving a II invite?