2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (6,000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! This is a reach for me but hoping to get some love :)

Hi,

How heavily do they screen for secondaries here?

Members don't see this ad :)
They do a reasonable screen, I think at least a third of applicants dont end up getting secondaries and the prompt has been write an autobiography for the past few years.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any matriculants and/or current students comment on this screen?

I just received an email from UCSanDiego asking for my SSN. Is it legit?

I got the same. I think it looks legit.....I'm going to call the number.

Looks like the site to enter your SSN is down for the time being.

How many words has the autobiography been in the past?
Edit: never mind. found it.

Feeling kinda uneasy about this! Got the email asking for the SSN...entered it...now got an email this morning saying the site is down and they cannot accept SSNs via telephone? What gives? Kinda scared I trusted the email and entered it into the site....

Feeling kinda uneasy about this! Got the email asking for the SSN...entered it...now got an email this morning saying the site is down and they cannot accept SSNs via telephone? What gives? Kinda scared I trusted the email and entered it into the site....

I agree, what's going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
SSN request today. I had no issue with entering it on their site.

I got the request on Friday and had no trouble entering it then either, its just unsettling that they're claiming issues. Don't want my SSN getting out there into the interwebs...also unsure if I need to resubmit. Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

If you search "Diego" it should be the only result. Hope that helps!
I'm able to find it now. I swear I couldn't it yesterday and I know how to use the MSAR! lol.

Is anyone having trouble creating an account? I entered my AMCAS ID, email, DOB, and city of birth correctly, but it keeps telling me there is an error in these data. I'm wondering if it's something to do with my city of birth being Ottawa (Canada), or just a system-wide issue.

Is anyone having trouble creating an account? I entered my AMCAS ID, email, DOB, and city of birth correctly, but it keeps telling me there is an error in these data. I'm wondering if it's something to do with my city of birth being Ottawa (Canada), or just a system-wide issue.

I am having the issue. Born in USA.

May be a temporary system wide issue. Born outside US with no issues making the account.

Created account. But when you clink on the link, does it say this for anyone else?

This site is no longer available.
You will be redirected to https://meded.ucsd.edu/ shortly.

Is it concerning if I still haven't received a secondary? I created an account and submitted my SSN but otherwise have not heard back

Anyone have advice on how to structure the secondary?

Is it concerning if I still haven't received a secondary? I created an account and submitted my SSN but otherwise have not heard back
Yes. You've been rejected :p

Chill out. It looks like no one has received one yet

Secondary invite! I'll post the prompts when I open it once I get to work.

Does anyone know how heavy this screen is?

If you haven't received a secondary yet, don't freak out. Their website says "Applicants not invited to submit a secondary application at that time will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer under consideration."

Link: https://meded.ucsd.edu/index.cfm/asa/admissions/application_process/

If you haven't received either email after a while, be sure to check your spam filter.

Secondary prompt:

This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (6,000 characters)

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Reactions: 1 user
I received the secondary earlier, created my log on, and after looking at the app closed out of the browser without bookmarking the login page. Now, when I click the link in the initial email, the page won't load. Has anyone else experienced this?

I received the secondary earlier, created my log on, and after looking at the app closed out of the browser without bookmarking the login page. Now, when I click the link in the initial email, the page won't load. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yeah. Use a new browser.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Do you by chance know long it takes for UCSD to process applications from AMCAS and send out a request to create an account (the SSN email)? My primary app was verified early last week but I haven't heard anything from them... (definitely double checked my spam folder too)

Hi everyone! Do you by chance know long it takes for UCSD to process applications from AMCAS and send out a request to create an account (the SSN email)? My primary app was verified early last week but I haven't heard anything from them... (definitely double checked my spam folder too)

It seems to take a while; they requested my SSN 3 days after verification, then requested I make an account 3 days later, then 8 days later sent the invitation to complete secondary (this morning).

Hey all... Any ideas: If I select that I am interested in applying to PRIME-HEq, should I also check the box that I am interested in MD/MPH, or is that questions asking about if I would like to pursue that degree separately from the PRIME program?

Are they asking us to write another personal statement? How do we differentiate this from our first personal statement?

Are they asking us to write another personal statement? How do we differentiate this from our first personal statement?
I think it's different than a personal statement because it is a mini autobiography about yourself (from birth til now) and explains how you came to pursue medicine. If you already wrote about that before, maybe write about other personal aspects that has not been covered.

Got a secondary, too! This is going to be a beast to tackle.

I have an AMCAS fee waiver, but it's not showing that it's waived on the secondary site. Is anyone having the same problem?

Does the Prime-HEq program require you to pursue a Master's degree?

@Lurid It seems that most of the UC's don't automatically apply the FAP fee waiver via notification from AAMC. Same thing happened to me with UC Davis and UCSD. Call the admissions office, and the operator will ask you to forward them the email from AAMC verifying your FAP approval. They usually waive the application fee within 5-10 minutes!

Super thrilled to get a secondary today! :love: Loveeeee UCSD. Loveeeeeee. Hopefully they love me half as much as I love them.

My application was verified June 27th and I still have not received any email from UCSD, not even a request for SSN like some others have mentioned. Should I be concerned?