2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they have everything except Mcat and gpa.
In fact, I've heard that the whole admissions committee is blinded to mcat and gpa during the final decision making/ranking of applicants process.
I was told by a student on the admissions board that it factors very heavily into your score. Everything is given a number, your mcat, your gpa, your interview, extra curriculars, Lor. Then that number is added together and those numbers become the wait list

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by a student on the admissions board that it factors very heavily into your score. Everything is given a number, your mcat, your gpa, your interview, extra curriculars, Lor. Then that number is added together and those numbers become the wait list
This probably sounds like a dumb question, but what exactly did you mean when you said that those numbers become the "wait list"?

Work harder. Learn faster.

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but what exactly did you mean when you said that those numbers become the "wait list"?

Work harder. Learn faster.
basically we are each given a number that is the accumulation of our scores in different aspects of our application, everything is turned into something numerical, and everything is given a weighted value based on how important they feel the metric is. MCAT and GPA are weighted the highest, then you have more subjective things like the weight of your application, and the strength of your essays. each interviewer also gives you a numerical score (but I heard that factors in the least) and then that number is us.... so lets say I scored a 1243, and you scored a 1245, you would be ahead of me on the waitlist, and say they want to call the next person, and it was you, but you had already secured your spot at say Harvard and no longer hand any intention of going to baylor so you told them no, then they would look at the next on the list to call, which in this theoretical sense, say it is me. So all of our numbers are put into a spreadsheet, and then the call list is made from that spreadsheet. Definitely not a dumb question, I was so confused when it was first explained to me. Baylor is the only school I know that does it this way:)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@ people recently accepted: have you been checking the file status? and if so, have you noticed the status change prior to receiving the call?

giving up my interview here in light of other acceptances. best of luck to all of you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
me too. best of luck to all!

Not sure if this has already been asked, but is it likely that a January interview is just for the waitlist here?

re:
basically we are each given a number that is the accumulation of our scores in different aspects of our application, everything is turned into something numerical, and everything is given a weighted value based on how important they feel the metric is. MCAT and GPA are weighted the highest, then you have more subjective things like the weight of your application, and the strength of your essays. each interviewer also gives you a numerical score (but I heard that factors in the least) and then that number is us.... so lets say I scored a 1243, and you scored a 1245, you would be ahead of me on the waitlist, and say they want to call the next person, and it was you, but you had already secured your spot at say Harvard and no longer hand any intention of going to baylor so you told them no, then they would look at the next on the list to call, which in this theoretical sense, say it is me. So all of our numbers are put into a spreadsheet, and then the call list is made from that spreadsheet. Definitely not a dumb question, I was so confused when it was first explained to me. Baylor is the only school I know that does it this way:)

~~~~~~~

FWIW, I suspect that the reckoning above is substantially on point...except that (see last sentence) I think that MOST medical schools operate this way, more or less. There are so many candidates to any medical school that a cumulative scoring system seems necessary to keep track of them. Studies of interviewing show that when there are, say, 5-6 candidates consecutively, prompt assessments are essential to keep them from running together in the minds of the interviewers. Being first or last among a group of 6 can help a bit to get noticed/stick in the mind.

If you get an interview at BCM, regardless of when, you then have (per the numbers) < 40% of getting an offer. Ergo, the impression you make in the interview matters a lot. But this does not mean that if you interview as late as January that you are a candidate only for their WL, albeit that becomes somewhat more likely since early superstars (meteoric Lizzy M's, e.g.) tend to get early invites.

Over half of those accepted OOS will later opt
instead to go to their IS schools (perhaps with substantial financial aid) or to another top school like Washington U., Hopkins, Stanford or Harvard, say. (BCM accepts 110 or more OOS, but ~ 45 of those will actually matriculate.)

That final date where acceptees everywhere must make a final choice certainly creates a musical chairs scenario in the late spring.

Kudos to those who promptly cancel interviews, or then later acceptances, once they know that they are opting for alternatives. This is only fair to others waiting with bated breath.

has anyone heard anything about the facebook page for accepted students?

I searched baylor college of medicine class of 2021 on Facebook and found it
i just searched that and nothing is coming up for some reason...do you think you could PM me the link? thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
When will more acceptances come out here? It's been a long time since the last one.

I was accepted this morning! Got a call from Houston, interviewed late October

Reactions: 9 users
Any idea when those of us who interviewed in December will hear back? Thanks!

Any idea when those of us who interviewed in December will hear back? Thanks!

Historically the turn around time from interview to acceptance has been a minimum of 1 month.

I also interviewed in December. I think our time is right around now because the Dean said that the end of December was the earliest time we could possibly hear back. I am not really expecting to hear something back until maybe March or so when they release the bulk of acceptances.

Just checked the Baylor portal and got this message: "Your deadline for completing this application has passed!"

I'm fairly certain I finished the application so now I'm really confused?

Reactions: 1 user
How could I have mistaken a bad interview from a good one???? No comprende!!!!

No, no! I wishhhhhh! After speaking with my pre-health advisor ..., she thinks it was a good one! :eek:

Is it appropriate to send a letter of intent right now even though there isn't a waitlist yet? Pretty sure Baylor is my top choice though

Is it appropriate to send a letter of intent right now even though there isn't a waitlist yet? Pretty sure Baylor is my top choice though

There's interviews until Feb and the bulk of acceptances are released in March. Chill lol

I am a little confused about letters of intent ... When should we send one?

Silence since September. Does anyone know how late they give out interviews?

There are only two interview dates left (this Friday 1/27 and next Friday 2/3). Since they typically give out IIs a month in advance, I would say they're most likely done sending them out. :\

They do silent rejections, correct? Or March/April rejections?

They pretty much let it ride until June and then send out a letter to everyone still waiting saying their class has been filled. So yeah, silent rejection style.
Do they not tell you that you are on a waitlist? It's just silence and then rejection without waitlists?

Do they not tell you that you are on a waitlist? It's just silence and then rejection without waitlists?

According to previous threads there are waitlist emails, but don't come out until quite late (end of April/early May). Then the waitlist movement is mainly in May. June 1 is the last day a TX resident with an offer can be accepted off the waitlist. After June 1, it's only Texans without an acceptance or OOS applicants that can get an acceptance, and the "class is full" email seems like it goes out around mid June.

Last edited:
According to previous threads there are waitlist emails, but don't come out until quite late (end of April/early May). Then the waitlist movement is mainly in May. June 1 is the last day a TX resident with an offer can be accepted off the waitlist. After June 1, it's only Texans without an acceptance or OOS applicants that can get an acceptance, and the "class is full" email seems like it goes out around mid June.

So say a TX resident turns down a TX acceptance for a OOS school, can this person then remain on the Baylor waitlist past 6/1?

So say a TX resident turns down a TX acceptance for a OOS school, can this person then remain on the Baylor waitlist past 6/1?

From the TMDSAS website: "After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas." So not sure if it means accepted in general or holding a seat. You could call TMDSAS to clarify. From past years it seems there's very little waitlist movement after June 1, so I'm not sure it's that important.

From the TMDSAS website: "After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas." So not sure if it means accepted in general or holding a seat. You could call TMDSAS to clarify. From past years it seems there's very little waitlist movement after June 1, so I'm not sure it's that important.

Since Baylor isn't a TMDSAS school, would this not apply to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Since Baylor isn't a TMDSAS school, would this not apply to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The rest of the paragraph: "This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

have any accepted students gotten any information about second look yet?

Rejected just now, complete July. Had already written this one off anyway. Good luck guys!

Also rejected today and had long ago assumed this was coming, complete late July, OOS