2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, on the tuition website for "Books and Supplies" is that just extra allotted loan money we have (and we don't have to purchase all of them) or is it automatically applied with our tuition, basically making the tuition 30k a year?

Tuition & Fees 2016-2017

IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
I would like to know how much aid Baylor gives too.
This is how mine looked, and I certainly plan on declining a good bit of it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I've never posted on SDN because for some weird reason I was scared to :) Anyways, now that my application cycle has officially ended, I felt like I needed to post SOMETHING just because of how great SDN has been. I have decided to decline my offer to attend BCM, even though I loved the school and was pretty set on going for a long, long time. But hopefully that means that someone else will get the spot. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on SDN for being so helpful and (mostly lol) supportive. There have been times when I was really sad about things that happened during this cycle but going through these threads I realized that everyone experiences that! If there is anyone thinking about going to Chicago, that's where I'll be next year :)

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, thank you for sharing! So it seems I'll likely be 100% loans. yay debt.
Yeah it's kinda wild because at this point I'm numb to seeing these huge amounts of money because med school lol (also it seems we will be classmates :eek:)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else heard nothin from Baylor? Interviewed in October. No correspondence since. Don't see any rejection on my portal

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else heard nothin from Baylor? Interviewed in October. No correspondence since. Don't see any rejection on my portal
Yep exact same here. From previous years' threads the waitlist email should be coming early this week.

Ditto. Anyone know what their waitlist movement has generally been like in the past?
Each year is different depending on how many people withdraw from the school. But in previous years, people started getting off the waitlist a couple of days after the initial email and then again a week or two later. This is based on past threads, so they might have been accepting people every week and some applicants haven't posted about it. We'll see~

Also waitlisted this morning.

Does anyone know how many spots are on the WL?
Do they rank the WL and can we find out where we are on the list?

EDIT: Dug through last years thread. Looks like everyone is WL that wasn't accepted and they cannot tell you where you rank on the list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted here too. Is it worth it to write a letter of intent?

EDIT: Dug through last years thread. Looks like everyone is WL that wasn't accepted and they cannot tell you where you rank on the list.
But they do rank it?

But they do rank it?
No idea. Considering that they ranked us initially, I would assume they have some sort of a rank. One person last year said they heard you could find out what third of the WL you're in if you get ahold of the right person, but most people said they wouldn't let you know.

According to MSAR, there are 500-550 people on the WL and usually around 15 of them get accepted.

According to MSAR, there are 500-550 people on the WL and usually around 15 of them get accepted.
This is off topic but does MSAR have the WL to accepted stat for all med schools? My subscription ran out a month or so ago, and I don't remember seeing it on last years, but I also never specifically looked for it.

This is off topic but does MSAR have the WL to accepted stat for all med schools? My subscription ran out a month or so ago, and I don't remember seeing it on last years, but I also never specifically looked for it.

Some don't report how many, but the line that says it is there for every school. It's a bit difficult to find though.

Hey everyone, I got in last week!!! (crossing my fingers for everyone else on the waitlist! There are still a couple spots left as far as I know!). I was wondering how I can be added to the Facebook group? I need to figure out housing ASAP. If someone in the fb group could please message me directly I'd be forever grateful! Thanks!

Hey everyone, I got in last week!!! (crossing my fingers for everyone else on the waitlist! There are still a couple spots left as far as I know!). I was wondering how I can be added to the Facebook group? I need to figure out housing ASAP. If someone in the fb group could please message me directly I'd be forever grateful! Thanks!

You can just join the group by requesting access and they'll approve it pretty soon. I haven't even been accepted but just wanted to see how many people were on there and stuff and they let me join the group!
Did you get in from the waitlist or before the waitlist email went out?

Congratulations and thanks for posting! IS or OOS? When did you interview? If you don't mind me asking.

You can just join the group by requesting access and they'll approve it pretty soon. I haven't even been accepted but just wanted to see how many people were on there and stuff and they let me join the group!
Did you get in from the waitlist or before the waitlist email went out?
Thanks, I'll do that! I got in from the waitlist

Congratulations and thanks for posting! IS or OOS? When did you interview? If you don't mind me asking.
Thank you! no not at all. IS, interviewed December 2. Best of luck!!!

I got accepted this morning around 10 am! They said there are 2 more spots left. (Interviewed in September LizzyM 74)

Last edited:
I got accepted this morning around 10 am! The dean said there are 2 more spots left. (Interviewed in September LizzyM 74)
Congrats! Well, I'm guessing those two spots were probably filled later today. So for those of us still on the waitlist, time to cut our losses and move on.

Hello everyone! I am planning on applying next cycle and was wondering if any of you feel that the "RECOMMENDED: Spanish" kind of translates to "almost required". I don't have spanish and have already graduated and didn't wanna shell out money to take a spanish class. I feel that so many pre medical students strive to be so "perfect" that the "recommended" portion turns to "required" almost. Thoughts?

Hello everyone! I am planning on applying next cycle and was wondering if any of you feel that the "RECOMMENDED: Spanish" kind of translates to "almost required". I don't have spanish and have already graduated and didn't wanna shell out money to take a spanish class. I feel that so many pre medical students strive to be so "perfect" that the "recommended" portion turns to "required" almost. Thoughts?

I and probably many others got accepted without a college level Spanish course. I think you will be fine!

Got accepted off the waitlist via phone call a couple days ago. I was next up on the ranked waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
Got accepted off the waitlist via phone call a couple days ago. I was next up on the ranked waitlist.

Congratulations! That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, are you in state or out of state? And we're you accepted after June 1?

Congratulations! That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, are you in state or out of state? And we're you accepted after June 1?
Thanks! Out of state, accepted after June 1.

Does Baylor consider academic fresh start? I'm using it at the other Texas schools, but I know that since it is private they may not. I have a bunch of >10 year old grades bogging me down from before I was in the Army.

My stats

cGPA 3.0ish (with academic fresh start cGPA 3.9)
mcat 518

Also, if they don't, should I apply anyway?

I know this this is an old thread, but BCm is a private school. It does not have to nor does it take the Texas Academic Fresh Start program. It's sad but true.

I know this this is an old thread, but BCm is a private school. It does not have to nor does it take the Texas Academic Fresh Start program. It's sad but true.
Lol. This is kind of old. I already got into another school.

Hey all, I'm an applicant applying for the 2017-2018 cycle, and I was wondering how strict BCM was with the course requirements? I have taken courses that loosely fit the expository writing/humanities, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how strict bcm was. I took a research course where I was required to type up a few page summary of my work for the semester, and I also took a speech/communications class which was fairly heavy in writing/oral presentatino and was wondering if that would fulfill the humanities requierments

Judging by all the acceptances, guessing they are close if not already done interviewing?