2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
scratch that, 1000 characters with spaces for each one.

Members don't see this ad.

so what are the secondary prompts for this upcoming cycle?

Anyone still not get a secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they accept one sem of ochem and one of biochem instead of 2 ochem?

I've been trying to find a list of student organizations at this school, but so far I only found generic info and a brief listing under "Activities" in their catalog (https://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate/documents/AMCCollege_Catalog.pdf). It's not too important that I see them all, more out of curiosity, but if anyone finds such a list could you share it on here?

Does anyone know if they accept one sem of ochem and one of biochem instead of 2 ochem?
Both the supplementary and their website explicitly say 1 year of orgo with no mention of biochem. Unless somebody on here can tell you, maybe trying calling them? They might be flexible about it.

Last edited:
Should I talk about an MCAT score of 130, 128, 130, 125 in the unbalanced prompt?

Should I talk about an MCAT score of 130, 128, 130, 125 in the unbalanced prompt?

I didn't, and mine is even more unbalanced with a 123 in one section and composite score of a 513. I tried writing one, but I just couldn't figure out how I should address it without sounding like excuses.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, I feel like I'm going to sound like an online dating profile with describe yourself!

I've been trying to find a list of student organizations at this school, but so far I only found generic info and a brief listing under "Activities" in their catalog (https://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate/documents/AMCCollege_Catalog.pdf). It's not too important that I see them all, more out of curiosity, but if anyone finds such a list could you share it on here?

Both the supplementary and their website explicitly say 1 year of orgo with no mention of biochem. Unless somebody on here can tell you, maybe trying calling them? They might be flexible about it.

In case anyone else had the same question...I emailed admissions and they said one semester of ochem and one of biochem is acceptable if biochem was taken through the chemistry department.

So the question about inconsistencies in MCAT or GPA is optional?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys answering "Describe yourself"? Are you stating your interests or some traits about yourself?

Anyone still not get a secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Me either! Anyone else? Debating whether to contact their admissions office....

How are you guys answering "Describe yourself"? Are you stating your interests or some traits about yourself?

Honestly, I took some creative liberty and had a little fun win it. I guess we'll see how that goes over :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
I have not gotten the secondary yet. I submitted late June and was verified 7/22, IS

Update: Just received secondary today 8/1, verified 7/22

Just got an II! Lizzy M ~70

Congrats on the II guys! Do you mind posting your stats and whether you were informed via phone call or email?

Got one!

LizzyM ~70, though with strong upward trend and great gGPA.

Email, 3.9 GPA and 513 MCAT, Lizzy M ~71

secondary received by email, LizzyM 66; I have never seen a secondary notification by phone and this is my second time applying

Wow - August 18th. Didn't expect to be interviewing nearly this early!

Any current students floating around who might be able to comment on the interview day at all? I know its MMI so you can't give specifics, but any general tips would be great :)

I highly doubt any schools are giving interview invites by phone.

I highly doubt any schools are giving interview invites by phone.
One of the schools this cycle invited me to interview via phone. UF and a few others do as well.

Keep that phone ready!

DAMN another school passing over me today. That makes like 7 today that have given out interviews today, and still none here. Trying hard to stay positive and hope for the best (I know it's only August) but I didn't realize it would be this hard to get passed over. Major congrats to everyone today!

DAMN another school passing over me today. That makes like 7 today that have given out interviews today, and still none here. Trying hard to stay positive and hope for the best (I know it's only August) but I didn't realize it would be this hard to get passed over. Major congrats to everyone today!
I am in there with you. Got passed over a lot in the last week. Also trying to remain optimistic but its scary when people that were complete the same time or even after are getting IIs. Someone give me love. I know it is only August 1, but please!

Got passed over by Albany too, but I'm hoping for some good news tomorrow. Did you notice any status change on the portal? Mine still says "complete and ready for review"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am in there with you. Got passed over a lot in the last week. Also trying to remain optimistic but its scary when people that were complete the same time or even after are getting IIs. Someone give me love. I know it is only August 1, but please!
To give some hope, no-one gets "passed-over". Sometimes the process is super random and people get interviewed and accepted well into next year! Sit back its a long process.

And damn netflix promo emails..

Reactions: 3 users
Got passed over by Albany too, but I'm hoping for some good news tomorrow. Did you notice any status change on the portal? Mine still says "complete and ready for review"

Mine says the same. Apparently does not change after a II either... I didn't get a II at Hofstra and Quinnipiac today as well.

To give some hope, no-one gets "passed-over". Sometimes the process is super random and people get interviewed and accepted well into next year! Sit back its a long process.

And damn netflix promo emails..
I know, I know, but I want to have the good feeling that you have had NINE times already!!! I just want it once. Congrats by the way. You must be a total bad a**

Mine says the same. Apparently does not change after a II either... I didn't get a II at Hofstra and Quinnipiac today as well.

Aw man.. Hang in there , keep your head up! I felt like that all last week as well, but they really will come when you least expect it. Depending on when you were complete at most schools, the first few weeks of August will definitely suprise you with some good news. I know even for myself it's pretty hard watching people complete after me get IIs, but it's best to be patient and stay hopeful, the cycle is just starting. I'm hoping for the best for you and the rest of us. Stay hopeful!

Aw man.. Hang in there , keep your head up! I felt like that all last week as well, but they really will come when you least expect it. Depending on when you were complete at most schools, the first few weeks of August will definitely suprise you with some good news. I know even for myself it's pretty hard watching people complete after me get IIs, but it's best to be patient and stay hopeful, the cycle is just starting. I'm hoping for the best for you and the rest of us. Stay hopeful!

Thank you. Trying to keep optimistic. I know it is early. Good luck to you too! Hoping for the best for everyone!!

Yeah lol wtf? And from previous threads AMC doesn't release the first decisions until early November, but maybe we'll hear back in October this time since everything this cycle seems to be earlier than usual.

Even so, they aren't allowed to give any out until mid October. Loooong wait.

How do you know Albany passed you over without any status changes on their portal??

How do you know Albany passed you over without any status changes on their portal??

I think it's more of a 'I haven't gotten interviews on any school's first wave' kinda deal.

They certainly haven't been completely passed over.

I think it's more of a 'I haven't gotten interviews on any school's first wave' kinda deal.

They certainly haven't been completely passed over.
Yeah but the first wave has literally started in the past 10 days has it not? I mean any II before what like August 20thish is still well in the first wave right?

Yeah but the first wave has literally started in the past 10 days has it not? I mean any II before what like August 20thish is still well in the first wave right?

I guess you can call it whatever. Yeah that's probably true. Just saying I think they were meaning "passed over" in a very acute sense.

What status do you all have here , I submitted on 07/15 , it says Complete and Ready to Review. Did people with IIs have this before too ?

Does a low MCAT (508. 127/126/127/128) constitute an academic inconsistency?