2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just looked at the form and it says: "Please ensure your immunization records are provided to the Office of Student Health Services or call 813-974-1758 if you have additional questions."

It doesn't come with a form, but I found this online http://health.usf.edu/medicine/internalmedicine/infectious/medicalhealthadmin/medical_students.htm
There is probably a 2016-2017 sheet somewhere
Has anyone found the 2016-2017 sheet? There is a link for a form in OASIS, but when I click it it redirects me to the MCOM website.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.usf.edu/student-affairs/student-health-services/immunizations/immuncompliance.aspx I think this link is good
(But it isn't health specific. We can ask about it at 2nd look because I don't think it is super urgent)
Okay thank you! That's a good idea, but if you find the specific form let me know. It's probably not that urgent but it was mentioned in the acceptance packet, and I got in last October so it's been a while. I'm just trying to get as many things done before Second Look. Also, trying to stay busy since we still have a month to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
have all merit scholarships been given out already?

Btdubs, I'm tentatively interested in thoracic/vascular surgery and I was worried that SELECT might make it hard.

This year out of the 36 students there were 2 ortho, 1 plastic surgery, 1 vascular, 1 rads-onc, and 1 neurosurgery match (and I know there was a uro and ortho match last year). And I don't think any of them were USF programs. So it's all good

Definitely expected it with the waitlist trend we've been seeing. Waitlisted 2/22 SELECT OOS. It stinks, because it was the best interview I've had this season, and I absolutely loved the school and program. Anyway, here's to hoping for tons of waitlist movement in April! ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Btdubs, I'm tentatively interested in thoracic/vascular surgery and I was worried that SELECT might make it hard.

This year out of the 36 students there were 2 ortho, 1 plastic surgery, 1 vascular, 1 rads-onc, and 1 neurosurgery match (and I know there was a uro and ortho match last year). And I don't think any of them were USF programs. So it's all good
Where did you see this? I cannot for the life of me find this years match list, I hadn't thought they released it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you

Hello! I saw you on last year's thread. Do you have any idea on what waitlist movement is like? Any room for hope? I saw on last year's thread that some waitlisters were called as opposed to snail mail. I'm not seeing that this year. Do you know if that practice was discontinued?

Wait listed interviewed 3/8 snail mail

I saw a few people in the thread mention the IMS program. Does anyone happen to know the application process/timeline for this? Getting nervous since submitting the app for it and trying to assess my chances of getting in. Thanks!

I called last week and tried to speak to the head person of the program, was blocked by someone in the office, one of the rudest people I've ever spoken to in regard to an admission office

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, has anyone from this year's cycle (or even last year's cycle) submitted any kind of update or letter of interest while being on the post-interview wait list?

I know it may be a lot of stressful speculation, but i am also curious about the phone call vs snail mail wait list and its significance..... :sour:

thanks guys

Hello! I saw you on last year's thread. Do you have any idea on what waitlist movement is like? Any room for hope? I saw on last year's thread that some waitlisters were called as opposed to snail mail. I'm not seeing that this year. Do you know if that practice was discontinued?

Hey, sorry I don't have much info here. I know of two other person in my class who were accepted off the waitlist for SELECT. But there are probably more, I just don't know a lot of people well enough to figure if they came off the waitlist or not. So there was some movement last year. Don't give up hope. I wouldn't expect movement to start until a few days or even a week until after the last day applicants can hold multiple acceptances.

With the calling waitlist thing, it's hard to know what to make of it. It seemed like a "we want to accept you but we don't have room right now so hang with us" type of thing but that is just my personal conjecture. I haven't followed this thread that closely but it seems like they're not doing the waitlist calling this year so tbh I wouldn't worry about that.

Just try to stay positive about everything - it will work out.

For the person who asked about updates - only do it if you have something substantial to actually update them on. Eg you published something, presented your research somewhere, won a nice award or something. If you're trying to update with like 50 more shadowing hours or volunteering hours or something, that's really not anything and will just kinda waste the time of the admissions people (this is like their busiest time of the year). If you have something substantial, then slip in a few lines about how you think this demonstrates you're a good fit for the usf mission statement. I would recommend not sending a letter of intent type deal, especially if you don't have other acceptances. They know you want to come.

Last edited:
I called last week and tried to speak to the head person of the program, was blocked by someone in the office, one of the rudest people I've ever spoken to in regard to an admission office
That's unfortunate....

I put in the app for it too. I looked at a thread from last year and seems like they had an interview day for it 2-3 weeks after the deadline and then 1-2 weeks later, sent out acceptances.

Do i even have a shot with SELECT with having one of the last interview days available?

Do i even have a shot with SELECT with having one of the last interview days available?

Hey! This is an entirely random process, and it's hard to say how decisions are actually made. We tend to speculate a lot here, haha. I say there is no harm in giving it a shot if you are actually really interested in the program. At the end of the day, we still have a chance of acceptance. Plus more acceptances seem to be made in April from waitlist movement, so you never know what will happen :).

But if you have a solid acceptance at another institution that you'd prefer going to, it may not be worthwhile for you, especially if you are OOS and face spending big bucks on travel.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to you waitlisters!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone happen to know how many more Core interviews there are?

EDIT: Already found some roommates. But looks like I'm going to USF! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall.

Last edited:
On average, how long does it take for USF to give decisions, especially for CORE? During the interview day they said anywhere from 4-6 weeks, and when I called they said anywhere from 6-7 weeks... which kind of makes me nervous because that would make the decisions extremely close to the April 30th date for multiple acceptances.

On average, how long does it take for USF to give decisions, especially for CORE? During the interview day they said anywhere from 4-6 weeks, and when I called they said anywhere from 6-7 weeks... which kind of makes me nervous because that would make the decisions extremely close to the April 30th date for multiple acceptances.
They told us the same thing at our interview, but I got a letter in the mail for the wait list dated exactly 8 days after my interview. It seems they interview on Tuesdays and send out decisions the next Wednesday for CORE. At least that was my experience and many others have posted the same turnaround time on this thread.

Hello! For anyone who has decided to go to Morsani, I'm looking for two more roommates in a really nice apartment complex that's about a 10 minute walk from the med school campus.

http://www.campuspalmsapartments.com/

Send me a message if interested!
I'd definitely be interested! I've posted in the class Facebook group about roommates before. I've talked to a few people, but nothing's final!

Hello! For anyone who has decided to go to Morsani, I'm looking for two more roommates in a really nice apartment complex that's about a 10 minute walk from the med school campus.

http://www.campuspalmsapartments.com/

Send me a message if interested!

I'd be very hesitant about living there. Even though it's gated I've been warned about living in the area just west of campus.

ninja edit: the guide for 2012 students http://health.usf.edu/medicine/2012/housing says in BOLD and with a graphic :

The area near the University Mall is a high crime area. You should avoid apartments located on the west side of Bruce B. Downs Blvd. from Bearss Ave. to Busch Blvd. We cannot emphasize this enough!!

Agreed. I would seriously reconsider living in that area. Additionally, I would recommend avoiding any apartments geared towards undergraduate students because I feel that it is extremely important to have quiet apartment for sleeping and studying while in medical school. Trust me, you will not enjoy having loud drunken neighbors at 4 am when you have an exam/clinic/STEP early the next morning. Every year the current MCOM students put together a large file with reviews and recommendations for housing all over the Tampa area. Please look into that for information on safe/quiet/affordable places to live.

Does anyone know how to upload the required immunization history form? Some of USF's websites say to do it through OASIS, but I don't see an option to do it there. Another page says to do it through the Admission Portal, but I haven't been able to log on there with my USF Health email. It seems like that's a space for undergrads, so I'm really confused!

Does anyone know how to upload the required immunization history form? Some of USF's websites say to do it through OASIS, but I don't see an option to do it there. Another page says to do it through the Admission Portal, but I haven't been able to log on there with my USF Health email. It seems like that's a space for undergrads, so I'm really confused!

Try contacting Ms. Perry at [email protected]. She's involved with the immunization stuff. I applied to USF for undergrad years ago so they already have my information, and I don't remember how I did it.

Random question. According to AMCAS, USF COM is not accepting the old MCAT score beginning next cycle. Can anyone confirm this?

Try contacting Ms. Perry at [email protected]. She's involved with the immunization stuff. I applied to USF for undergrad years ago so they already have my information, and I don't remember how I did it.
Thanks, I ended up figuring it out, but there are some other forms that she's asking for that I can't find. Wow what a frustrating process!

Thanks, I ended up figuring it out, but there are some other forms that she's asking for that I can't find. Wow what a frustrating process!
Where did you find the immunization form. I feel like I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Current student here.

Would be happy to answer questions about the school.

I saw people asking about living above. Most lived in the tampa palms/new tampa area or south tampa. Really depends on your interests.

Current student here.

Would be happy to answer questions about the school.

I saw people asking about living above. Most lived in the tampa palms/new tampa area or south tampa. Really depends on your interests.
Would you happen to know about wait list movement? Do you know a lot of people accepted from the wait list?

Would you happen to know about wait list movement? Do you know a lot of people accepted from the wait list?

I only know hearsay from other students in my class who were in your position. I know of one student who was added fairly late. I don't know the exact time period, but it was rush for them to get housing etc all at the last minute. I don't want to give false hope, but I know the list moves.

Did any one get this:
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview this year.

However, we are inviting you to apply to our Interdisciplinary Masters of Science (IMS) program. IMS students are guaranteed to matriculate into the subsequent class if they achieve the benchmarks of the program. To learn more about the IMS program, please visit the IMS website. If you would like to be considered for the IMS program, please apply here. Current or past IMS student are ineligible to participate in the new IMS pipeline program. If you have any questions pertaining to the IMS program or your eligibility status, please contact Shirley Smith at [email protected] or 813-396-9944.

Yeah, it seems like a way to just get money.

The IMS Masters program has been around for many years and has a great track record for not only helping students get into medical school but also preparing them to excel once admitted. It has only recently become a pipeline program with guaranteed admission into USF MCOM, which is awesome. I completed the program several years ago and I'm currently an MCOM student and thankful for the foundation IMS gave me.

There are definitely other masters programs out there that are just moneymakers for universities, but that is not IMS. The program is very small (only about 10 people each year) and the goal is to give students with exceptional and diverse life experiences outside of the classroom the opportunity to best prepare themselves academically to succeed in medical school. I strongly recommend looking further into the program to see if it might be a good fit for you.

Life if pretty busy for me right now but feel free to send me any questions about the program and I will do my best to get back to you quickly.

I could not agree more with my colleague. It's a great program and the standards for matriculation are VERY achievable.

Which form are you referring to specifically? There are several.
I found the financial aid forms in OASIS. I didn't see any mention of any immunization forms on my acceptance packet (I could just have missed it).

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on an update / letter of intent. I interviewed back in November and was placed on the waitlist. I have two acceptances from other schools already, but USF is my #1 as I'm from the area and attended undergrad there.

Should I send a letter of intent, or is it looked down upon? It can't hurt, can it?

One of the things deterring me is this line from their website: "Also, updates will not be accepted if you are placed on the waitlist."

Do they not want to hear from us at all?

Thank you very much!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on an update / letter of intent. I interviewed back in November and was placed on the waitlist. I have two acceptances from other schools already, but USF is my #1 as I'm from the area and attended undergrad there.

Should I send a letter of intent, or is it looked down upon? It can't hurt, can it?

One of the things deterring me is this line from their website: "Also, updates will not be accepted if you are placed on the waitlist."

Do they not want to hear from us at all?

Thank you very much!
I remember at my interview they told us not to send any updates unless specifically asked to. I also wanted to send a LOI, but decided not to because IMO not following instructions is much worse than sending a well written LOI. It is hard to show increasing interest in the program post-interview, but I guess going to the interview showed them enough.

Did anyone receive "A Welcome Class letter... with additional important matriculation information." ? in February they said they'd be sending one out at the end of the month and I sorta lost track of time and didn't even think about the fact I didn't get one.

Did anyone receive "A Welcome Class letter... with additional important matriculation information." ? in February they said they'd be sending one out at the end of the month and I sorta lost track of time and didn't even think about the fact I didn't get one.
I haven't received one either; perhaps no one has.

I emailed USF about a week ago, and they said they would send it out with important dates and stuff before matriculation...