2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone else have any rude experiences over the phone with the financial aid office? I love everything about USF but dealing with that for 4 years is the only thing I'm not looking forward to....
Ehhh they're just really busy right now - literally the most busy time of the year, so I would hope what happened to you was just a reflection of that (not trying to make an excuse or justify it though). I've gone to them numerous times in person and they are always extremely friendly and helpful. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I can assure you it's not going to be an ongoing thing.

Another downside is its location in the heart of undergrad territory. Our schedules do not exactly coincide so they may (read: will) be partying post-exams while you are trying to study. There are issues with increased crime in that area as well due to undergrad presence.
I'm aware of that fact; however, if I can form a group of MS1 roommates I think that should offset being surrounded by undergrads. I need a furnished place with utilities included, and I'd like to be close to campus. 42 North checks all those boxes for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aware of that fact; however, if I can form a group of MS1 roommates I think that should offset being surrounded by undergrads. I need a furnished place with utilities included, and I'd like to be close to campus. 42 North checks all those boxes for me.

Just be forewarned. If that is the place I'm thinking about it might as well be an undergrad dorm, without the rules or an RA to complain to when you can't sleep at 3 am 'cause your neighbors are partying. Buying some cheap furniture and paying for utilities is a small price to pay for some peace of mind. YMMV, of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be forewarned. If that is the place I'm thinking about it might as well be an undergrad dorm, without the rules or an RA to complain to when you can't sleep at 3 am 'cause your neighbors are partying. Buying some cheap furniture and paying for utilities is a small price to pay for some peace of mind. YMMV, of course.
I appreciate the advice, but I think I'll be fine as long as all my roommates are fellow med students. I also can't afford that stuff right now, but I understand where you're coming from.

Hey everyone, I just signed a lease at IQ! It's a brand new apartment complex directly across the street from MCOM. It comes fully furnished with all utilities included for $679 for a 4/4. The best part about this place is the location; you can literally take the footbridge from the VA to class in less than 5 minutes! They are filling up quickly, so if you're interested in rooming with me contact me on here or on the Facebook group!

I didn't want to ask this on the accepted FB page due to lack of anonymity but are there any accepted people who have other waitlists but already dropped their other acceptances? I'm asking since the accepted FB gives me the impression a lot of people have found roommates, and I don't know how long to wait before looking for housing if I'm hoping one of my waitlists gets back to me. Advice anyone?

I didn't want to ask this on the accepted FB page due to lack of anonymity but are there any accepted people who have other waitlists but already dropped their other acceptances? I'm asking since the accepted FB gives me the impression a lot of people have found roommates, and I don't know how long to wait before looking for housing if I'm hoping one of my waitlists gets back to me. Advice anyone?
I can't answer your first question, but I thought I'd share what I think:
It seems to be better to get housing all set as early as possible. That way you're not scrambling at the last minute, and you get roommates and an apartment that you're comfortable with. I think that's important to have, so it's not something you're thinking about when you're trying to have a successful first year.

Just coming from someone who didn't prioritize housing and ended up with roommates who created a lot of stress.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can't answer your first question, but I thought I'd share what I think:
It seems to be better to get housing all set as early as possible. That way you're not scrambling at the last minute, and you get roommates and an apartment that you're comfortable with. I think that's important to have, so it's not something you're thinking about when you're trying to have a successful first year.

Just coming from someone who didn't prioritize housing and ended up with roommates who created a lot of stress.

I do want to get done with housing as fast as possible. But I also don't know if it's common that people commit to housing, then get in at a waitlist, and then ditch the people they were going to room with. Seems like a mean thing to do.

I do want to get done with housing as fast as possible. But I also don't know if it's common that people commit to housing, then get in at a waitlist, and then ditch the people they were going to room with. Seems like a mean thing to do.
That makes sense. I guess it depends if you want to take that risk. If you want to make sure someone isn't lying about being wait listed elsewhere, perhaps you could ask them to put in a deposit for the apartment. If they are wait listed elsewhere and there's a chance they'll ditch, I'm sure they'd be less inclined to put down that deposit, so you might be able to weed out people that way.

Anyone think they will provide some sort of update to the WL'ers on where they are with class size, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just filled up my 4/4 at IQ, but if you're interested in living there let me know! It's fully furnished, includes all utilities, and is totally brand new! The best part is that it's directly across the street from MCOM! You can literally take the footbridge from the VA to class in less than 5 minutes! Message me with any questions, because I receive $50 for every referral!

Hey sdn friends!

Hopefully my fellow WLers will be hearing good news soon, because I got a call from Dr Daniel this past week with an acceptance off the WL for the SELECT program!! So honored and excited to be attending this fall. Keep your spirits and your hopes high, and your cell phone next to you in case you get the surprise call!

I think the cycle is pretty much over for me. If anyone has any questions, I'm not sure how much help I can be but let me know and ill do my best. This forum has been a surprising source of reassurance for me and I hope to return some favors. Good luck everyone! :):xf:

Also: I'd love to hear if anyone else has been accepted off the WL recently!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the WL last week as well! So excited to be going here :)

Don't lose hope you guys! Good luck to you all!

Hey sdn friends!

Hopefully my fellow WLers will be hearing good news soon, because I got a call from Dr Daniel this past week with an acceptance off the WL for the SELECT program!! So honored and excited to be attending this fall. Keep your spirits and your hopes high, and your cell phone next to you in case you get the surprise call!

I think the cycle is pretty much over for me. If anyone has any questions, I'm not sure how much help I can be but let me know and ill do my best. This forum has been a surprising source of reassurance for me and I hope to return some favors. Good luck everyone! :):xf:

Also: I'd love to hear if anyone else has been accepted off the WL recently!

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, that's great news! Congratulations to both of you.

I was accepted off the WL on Friday as well. I'm grateful and now I have to make a decision about where to go since I was accepted off the WL from another school on the same day.

Reactions: 1 users
To those accepted off the wait list, was this for select or core?

Additionally, around what time (Florida time) did you receive the call?

Anxious wait listed here!

Reactions: 2 users
Also, I wanted to mention that I'm still looking for roommates. I'm trying to get a group together for a 4/4 at 42 North. It's affordable ($535), includes utilities, and is furnished. It has a great location, the only downside in my opinion is the move in date of August 13th. I'm planning on staying at a hotel for the first week because a lot of places around town aren't being flexible with the move in dates. Message me if you're interested!

Is 42 North the same thing as IQ?

I found out about 10am to 4pm. I missed the call a couple of times, but Dr. Daniel made sure to call back a couple of times!

Additionally, around what time (Florida time) did you receive the call?

Anxious wait listed here!

Ok, that's nice he calls back! Yes, looking at last year's thread, seems like there were some select acceptances prior to April 30, and core began the week after. I hope I'm next!

Reactions: 2 users
Were those already moved off the waitlist, invited to second look?

I'll be declining my acceptance at USF so I hope it goes to someone else. I wish you all the best

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have an idea how long they're pulling people off the WL? I've heard up to July.

Anyone have an idea how long they're pulling people off the WL? I've heard up to July.
I thought it was until first day of class.. Is this incorrect?

So has there been no movement at all since last week? Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing..

So has there been no movement at all since last week? Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing..

almost certainly a good thing if you haven't heard.

There is going to be some movement for sure, nothing means it just hasn't started yet.

Any movement?

Can someone please send me a link to the facebook page and the google doc? I can't find it anywhere,

Last edited:
Can someone please send me a link to the facebook page and the google doc? I can't find it anywhere,
I think if you search USF Morsani COM 2020, you'll find the FB page.

There's been a substantial amount of movement apparently m, but no one posting here.

Sorry for the word substantial. There has been movement. Whether the movement is substantial or not is anyone's guess. If you look at the Waitlist support group thread, gyngyn has reported movement twice this week from USF. Gyngyn can see new acceptance offers to students that have already been accepted to his/her school in California.

Idk about selectivity/stats but SELECT is looking for pretty specific applicants. I worked with a Dr that is a preceptor for the program and they are looking for a particular type of applicant that they talk about on their website.

what were your premed stats?

I am a first year and It seems that about 1/10 to 1/8 of our class went to USF undergrad but that is just my own estimate. They showed us the numbers the first day of class but I can't remember for certain, all I know is that USF undergrads were by far the plurality. There are also quite a few who went to UsF undergrad and then did their masters here as well.

As far as increasing the mcat, they told us that our matriculating class had the highest average MCAT of any school in Florida this year.

Hi, what were your pre-med stats?