2015-2016 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hypothesize that having the withdraw tab is good for your chances.

This is because an active application should always have the ability to withdraw (as in, even if you are accepted, you can withdraw).

An inability to withdraw means an inactive application (as in, a decision has been made and it starts with an "R").

I hypothesize that having the withdraw tab is good for your chances.

This is because an active application should always have the ability to withdraw (as in, even if you are accepted, you can withdraw).

An inability to withdraw means an inactive application (as in, a decision has been made and it starts with an "R").

I'll go ahead and hypothesize that not having a withdraw tab is good because they're subliminally telling you 'you don't want to withdraw. trust us we're gonna hook you up soon'. FWIW I have a withdraw tab but there's a chance it means nothing at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know if anyone here would know how to proceed, but I have a letter of support documenting my research progress over the course of the year. Is it worth having my PI send the letter to the adcom directly? Thanks in advance, hope that the withdraw tab is good news for us all :)

Don't know if anyone here would know how to proceed, but I have a letter of support documenting my research progress over the course of the year. Is it worth having my PI send the letter to the adcom directly? Thanks in advance, hope that the withdraw tab is good news for us all :)

No pre-interview updates are allowed.

When did people find out which group they interview with? Trying to figure out what time I need to be on campus....
Did you find out what group you are interviewing in yet?

Just got rejected pre-II. Not too sad. I am very happy with my current acceptance.

Finally rejected this morning, complete late July, LizzyM 73. Though expected, this one hurt a bit, no more California dreamin'. Of note, I did notice a couple days ago that my withdraw tab was gone.

Ok so 2 people who didn't have withdraw tabs got rejections. I may just be being super negative but what if they literally forgot about the rest of us withdraw-tab-having people and don't know we exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so 2 people who didn't have withdraw tabs got rejections. I may just be being super negative but what if they literally forgot about the rest of us withdraw-tab-having people and don't know we exist.
It's not over yet! At least not at Stanford.

Did/do you have the withdraw tab in your portal?
Guys I really don't think the withdraw button means anything, schools have glitches on their systems all the damn time

Rejected today, complete in July....the dream...

Finally got the axe. Complete in july. Bummer

Still radio silence, complete late July and 71 LizzyM. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
They are moving so annoyingly slow.

This is exactly the kind of stereotypical Cali pace I've heard so much about.

Interviewed last month, waitlisted today. Impressed at the turnaround time. Not crying because I wasn't in love with the west coast but still a little disappointed obviously

P.S. I had the withdraw button so for those who still have conspiracy theories about this, you should stop haha

Interviewed last month, waitlisted today. Impressed at the turnaround time. Not crying because I wasn't in love with the west coast but still a little disappointed obviously

P.S. I had the withdraw button so for those who still have conspiracy theories about this, you should stop haha

I believe your having the withdraw button would be in support of the theory that the withdraw option is NOT available only for those who have been selected for rejection (and are therefore out of the running) but not yet been told of the decision; the withdraw option would still be available for those accepted/waitlisted/still in consideration (such as yourself).

That is, your having the withdraw button doesn't discount the theory (and is indeed explained by the theory, if you will). However, my correction of your statement should not be taken as evidence that I believe in the theory itself or condone theories regarding admissions etc. I simply wanted to clarify the misconception.

Reactions: 3 users

What you said in no way discounts anything about the theory. Everyone who was wondering was in the pre-interview stage, which you are not.

Also interviewed last month, and waitlisted this morning via e-mail. Not too disappointed since Stanford was more of a dream school for me, and I've fortunately been shown some CA love elsewhere ^_^

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people have been taken off the waitlist in the past?
Edit: Okay, based on a single post, it sounds like there isn't much movement

When did you interview? And how were you notified? Thanks for sharing.

When did you interview? And how were you notified? Thanks for sharing.
I said I interviewed last month. Everything done by email, like most schools

I said I interviewed last month. Everything done by email, like most schools
So did I, but I was hoping to get a specific date, or even if it was in early, mid, or late January.

What you said in no way discounts anything about the theory. Everyone who was wondering was in the pre-interview stage, which you are not.
Ok then carry on with the conspiracy theorizing then, good luck :p

My withdraw tab disappeared, I guess we will have more evidence for our conspiracy theory soon... (not very thrilled about what's coming hahahaha)

My withdraw tab disappeared, I guess we will have more evidence for our conspiracy theory soon... (not very thrilled about what's coming hahahaha)
Have you interviewed yet?

Did anyone else who interview in January hear back?

Last edited:
Withdraw tab disappeared today (pre-II). I expect that it's my turn to get axed. :p

Did anyone else who interviewed in January hear back?
I interviewed on February 2nd and they told our group that we should be hearing by late February/early March so your time should come soon! They accept/reject/wait list by interview group cohort at this point, so if you made any friends on your interview day, you could be waiting (patiently or impatiently) with them for the decisions! They sit on Thursdays and acceptances are made over the phones Thursday evenings. (This was all information given directly to us from the Admissions Coordinator on our interview day.)

I interviewed on February 2nd and they told our group that we should be hearing by late February/early March so your time should come soon! They accept/reject/wait list by interview group cohort at this point, so if you made any friends on your interview day, you could be waiting (patiently or impatiently) with them for the decisions! They sit on Thursdays and acceptances are made over the phones Thursday evenings. (This was all information given directly to us from the Admissions Coordinator on our interview day.)

I interviewed a very long time ago (early October) and still haven't heard back. Just wanted to point that out Bc it might take longer for them to decide than they have initially told u. I don't really know what it means when they take longer than expected. someone earlier in this thread (who interviewed around the same time as me) called or emailed and they told them that they were still reviewing their file. I like to take a positive spin on it and think that they want to accept me, but want to consider other options first. They'll eventually realize how awesome I am and give me a call :)

Reactions: 3 users
So...did anyone whose withdraw tab disappeared get the axe yet?

From previous year's threads, it seems like the chances of being accepted off the waitlist here is slim to none?

Has anyone been rejected post-interview? Seems like they waitlist everyone they don't accept so far.

I lost my withdraw tab this weekend and haven't gotten axed yet. However, I am feeling it is inevitable at this point :/

From previous year's threads, it seems like the chances of being accepted off the waitlist here is slim to none?
Yup, your chances are basically zero so you might as well withdraw now ;)

Has anyone been rejected post-interview? Seems like they waitlist everyone they don't accept so far.
Stanford is like Columbia, they waitlist a lot of people. Yield is so variable every year, you never know what you're gonna get.

Ahahah yes, time to withdraw, you want to join me?

Waitlist definitely better than reject, though part of me wish this would just be decided already - so much (false) hope!

Axed today. Lost the withdraw tab a few days ago so it's no surprise.

sorry if this has been asked before, but what email address do we send post-interview update letters to?