2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Posting here for friend: he received an acceptance call with full tuition here at ~8:25pm PST. So happy for him, was sitting across from him as he was on the call and could see he was crying and viscerally emotive. Finances were going to be a big part of his decision... it's so, so good to see good things happen to good people :happy::happy::happy: even though I got rejected here long time back I wanna say #blessStanford

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Posting here for friend: he received an acceptance call with full tuition here at ~8:25pm PST. So happy for him, was sitting across from him as he was on the call and could see he was crying and viscerally emotive. Finances were going to be a big part of his decision... it's so, so good to see good things happen to good people :happy::happy::happy: even though I got rejected here long time back I wanna say #blessStanford

That warms my heart! :love: So amazing and congrats to your friend! Great of you to be supportive too.
I've been anxiously staring at my phone all night, but seems probably no more calls are coming out at this point.
Do you know what date your friend interviewed? I was the last day of Jan, so maybe I should just wait until March :)

Reactions: 1 user
That warms my heart! :love: So amazing and congrats to your friend! Great of you to be supportive too.
I've been anxiously staring at my phone all night, but seems probably no more calls are coming out at this point.
Do you know what date your friend interviewed? I was the last day of Jan, so maybe I should just wait until March :)

He said he interviewed in January, though I'm not sure which date :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed end of January hear back?

I'm still waiting to hear back from them, and I interviewed late December!

That's awesome! Was the full tuition through a merit or need scholarship?

I thought they only provided need based aid. Which means the admitted student was either low income or had already submitted their financial aid docs?

I was wondering the same thing... we were told during my interview day that financial aid is solely need-based (and I thought you had to submit your fin aid docs after getting an offer, and then you'd hear back regarding the amount of fin aid granted?)

Would any admitted student be able to send me details about second look dates/schedules? The flights are getting expensive and I wanted to book southwest just in case.

I thought they only provided need based aid. Which means the admitted student was either low income or had already submitted their financial aid docs?
I was wondering the same thing... we were told during my interview day that financial aid is solely need-based (and I thought you had to submit your fin aid docs after getting an offer, and then you'd hear back regarding the amount of fin aid granted?)

I'm not quite sure and I don't feel comfortable asking him, but I will again confirm that it was full tuition. If that means it's need based then so be it

I'm not sure about Stanford since I'm no longer in the running here, but I always figured people sent in their FinAid forms before acceptance (at most places, at least)

Does Stanford update portals for acceptances or only calls?

Is there a reason the MD Admissions page is down? :watching: Not trying to be paranoid, jut genuinely curious!
Also, best of luck tomorrow everyone, hoping they are reviewing the end of Jan interviews! :xf::)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason the MD Admissions page is down? :watching: Not trying to be paranoid, jut genuinely curious!
Also, best of luck tomorrow everyone, hoping they are reviewing the end of Jan interviews! :xf::)

Uh oh...That's weird...What does it mean?

you can't log into the portal, decisions are highly suspected to come out today possibly (pure speculation)

Anybody know if Stanford provides accommodations, etc. for second look?

any late Jan/early Feb get accepted yet?

Reactions: 2 users
When was the last day of interviews for Stanford? It seems to vary each year. Last year, they went into early Feb while two years ago they interviewed into March!

@Pwayne55 congrats!

I wonder what that means for those of us who also interviewed late Jan but haven't heard back. I was on the 1/28 group and silence still :|

Waitlisted this morning via email. Interviewed 1/28. Pretty heartbroken as this has some really crappy implications for personal/geographical reasons.
Congratulations to those accepted.

Last edited:
Waitlisted this morning. Interviewed 1/28. Pretty heartbroken as this has some really crappy implications for personal/geographical reasons.
Congratulations to those accepted.

sorry to hear that. i'm sure you have other great options! did they email you?

When is the major March release date supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When is the major March release date supposed to be?

All medical schools must offer admission to at least enough people to fill all of their seats by March 15th, so likely before then. (Unless they've already made that many offers, that is.)

I interviewed 1/30 and it seems people from my date already got offers, if accepted (Congrats @Pwayne55 !!!)

I haven't heard any news on my end, but at this point, I'm not sure if I should be as optimistic... :(

Hi guys! I'm on the waitlist at Stanford and got this email from them once I submitted a letter of intent. Does anyone know what "accepted status" means?

----
Thank you for the email. Would you send me only the application update in pdf? Letter of Intent will be printed and filed; reviewed when a candidate is in accepted status.

Hi guys! I'm on the waitlist at Stanford and got this email from them once I submitted a letter of intent. Does anyone know what "accepted status" means?

----
Thank you for the email. Would you send me only the application update in pdf? Letter of Intent will be printed and filed; reviewed when a candidate is in accepted status.

I'd email back questioning that. The wording is very odd...why would a letter of intent be reviewed after an applicant has been accepted?

haha from last year's thread! It's pretty interesting and has some insight into their admissions process

Thanks for sharing it! Definitely some cool intel to have

Wow thanks! Does this mean that as someone on the waitlist, you get reevaluated by the committee and then once you're accepted they look at your intent? Still a bit confused. I guess a letter of intent isn't taken into consideration?

Wow thanks! Does this mean that as someone on the waitlist, you get reevaluated by the committee and then once you're accepted they look at your intent? Still a bit confused. I guess a letter of intent isn't taken into consideration?

Yeah, I think for the most part, letters of intent are not taken too seriously. However, I am not completely sure...I would say it doesn't hurt emphasizing your interest! We were told by a student that when you are WL, they select you based on a gap you can fill based on your overall application. For example, if someone admitted was interested in history and ethics they would look for someone with similar interests to pull from the WL.

That's what I thought too! Nice job, @WedgeDawg!

it seems that they might use this rating system for interviews, and then look at more subjective factors like "fit" for post-interview acceptances and the MMI scores

source:

recommend watching the entire video!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone actually been rejected post-interview? It seems as if all decisions have been made and those not accepted were shortly notified of WL.
So... maybe I should start preparing for a rejection in the near future :(

Has anyone actually been rejected post-interview? It seems as if all decisions have been made and those not accepted were shortly notified of WL.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing... Interviewed a long time ago and have yet to hear anything

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing... Interviewed a long time ago and have yet to hear anything

I'm also wondering if Stanford actually rejects post-interview. Because they barely admit from the wait list, it feels like a soft rejection.
Stanford has years of admissions data, but it remains a mystery to me how Stanford barely uses their wait list, but yet, over-admits and can be fairly certain of getting only ~90 matriculants.

This is just speculation, but I think no news at Stanford is better than a definitive wait list notification because they barely pull anyone off the wait list. Especially if you interviewed earlier on, not hearing from them means that they may still be intending to offer you a spot in the class. Some people in this thread claimed to have gotten an email that the decision on their application would be deffered until mid-March. I am thinking that these applicants' chances are more favorable than of those that they placed on the wait list. Maybe offering acceptances to deferred students in March makes it so that they ultimately don't have to pull much (if anyone) from the wait list.

I was wait listed at the end of Jan, but I am rooting for you guys-- the wait shouldn't be much longer!! Hopefully good news comes your way soon! :)

Last edited:
I'm also wondering if Stanford actually rejects post-interview. Because they barely admit from the wait list, it feels like a soft rejection.
Stanford has years of admissions data, but it remains a mystery to me how Stanford barely uses their wait list, but yet, over-admits and can be fairly certain of getting only ~90 matriculants.

This is just speculation, but I think no news at Stanford is better than a definitive wait list notification because they barely pull anyone off the wait list. Especially if you interviewed earlier on, not hearing from them means that they may still be intending to offer you a spot in the class. Some people in this thread claimed to have gotten an email that the decision on their application would be deffered until mid-March. I am thinking that these applicants' chances are more favorable than of those that they placed on the wait list. Maybe offering acceptances to deferred students in March makes it so that they ultimately don't have to pull much (if anyone) from the wait list.

I was wait listed at the end of Jan, but I am rooting for you guys-- the wait shouldn't be much longer!! Hopefully good news comes your way soon! :)

do you think they are still accepting ppl at this point? or, is the class full?

do you think they are still accepting ppl at this point? or, is the class full?

There is no way for me to know, but I am betting that they are still accepting people. You should hear from them soon-- good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

I have no idea if calls are still being made but it's Thursday and all my fingers and toes are crossed for everyone still waiting!!! :):):):)

Reactions: 2 users
Although as per a post earlier in the thread it's unlikely LOI (for waitlisted students) will make any difference, I was wondering if we're supposed to send them to [email protected]
I sent them an email last week about something unrelated and never got an answer so I wasn't sure if that's where I should send the letter...

Although as per a post earlier in the thread it's unlikely LOI (for waitlisted students) will make any difference, I was wondering if we're supposed to send them to [email protected]
I sent them an email last week about something unrelated and never got an answer so I wasn't sure if that's where I should send the letter...

yes that's the correct email!