2015-2016 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't they just admit enough upfront if matriculation rate was 46%? If they need 100 students and admitted 213, then they could get the 98 and then add 2 from waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't they just admit enough upfront if matriculation rate was 46%? If they need 100 students and admitted 213, then they could get the 98 and then add 2 from waitlist.

Was wondering the same thing, b/c I believe schools over-admit in the first place b/c they know they won't have a 100% yield. So perhaps the 46% yield is enough to nearly fill the class? Anyway, just a theory.

Was wondering the same thing, b/c I believe schools over-admit in the first place b/c they know they won't have a 100% yield. So perhaps the 46% yield is enough to nearly fill the class? Anyway, just a theory.
Every single school overadmits with this idea in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford's matriculation rate last year was 46% (coming from an admissions officer I spoke with), so there must have been more than 2 people who got off the waitlist

Like everyone else has said, it's about # admitted and the matriculation rate. Particularly with top schools, it's hard to guess where students - particularly cross-admits - will end up, so they always factor their matriculation rate into the number they admit. That's why Stanford, which has the second highest matriculation rate of any med school, admits over 200 applicants for 100 spots. HMS has the highest matriculation rate at around 73%, and they still admit just under 200 for 160 or so spots (both HST and Pathways included there). All top schools need to do this, but the way they do it is variable as some schools rely more on the wait list than others; that said, everyone over-admits by a decent margin.

Edit: Private school.

Last edited:
Holy ****ing **** a yield of 73% is crazy for medical school. That's like undergrad yield level...and even then only Harvard's at 80% while Yale and Princeton lag in the 60s

****ing Harvard

So apparently Stanford doesn't actually have the second highest matriculation rate, according to that same admissions officer I spoke with. Some public school in California has the second highest matriculation rate. Just throwing it out there.

So apparently Stanford doesn't actually have the second highest matriculation rate, according to that same admissions officer I spoke with. Some public school in California has the second highest matriculation rate. Just throwing it out there.
As calculated from US News data, Stanford's yield is 49%, but this includes the waitlist offers and matriculants so we don't know what rate the regular offers are.

Harvard is number 9 in terms of the highest yield and only private school on the list.. However, many of the state schools on the list are the only state schools in their state with very high instate preferences which means they admit to fill the class and take people when people don't accept as opposed to having to guess.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools-where-accepted-students-usually-enroll

Sorry, yes, I meant private school! My bad, should have clarified. Like someone else said, it's hard to compare private v. public. From my knowledge (which comes from a high up dean but could be wrong, as it is from word-of-mouth), SMS is right behind Harvard in terms of yield.

Sorry, yes, I meant private school! My bad, should have clarified. Like someone else said, it's hard to compare private v. public. From my knowledge (which comes from a high up dean but could be wrong, as it is from word-of-mouth), SMS is right behind Harvard in terms of yield.
Yeah they're definitely wrong. Stanford stands at 49% yield in total (including WLs), which means the real yield pre-WL is lower. By just clicking randomly in the US News premium database, I find that Penn is at 64% post-WL yield. Unless Penn makes up for almost 20 percentage points off of its WL, Stanford is nowhere near having the second highest yield among private schools. I'm sure if I cared enough to look at more top schools, I'd find more that are much higher than Stanford's 49%

Yeah they're definitely wrong. Stanford stands at 49% yield in total (including WLs), which means the real yield pre-WL is lower. By just clicking randomly in the US News premium database, I find that Penn is at 64% post-WL yield. Unless Penn makes up for almost 20 percentage points off of its WL, Stanford is nowhere near having the second highest yield among private schools. I'm sure if I cared enough to look at more top schools, I'd find more that are much higher than Stanford's 49%

You all are getting my hopes up :)

Do I dare hope to dream that I may make it off the wait list!?

You all are getting my hopes up :)

Do I dare hope to dream that I may make it off the wait list!?
I'm convincing myself that it's not going to happen, but can't help but hold out at least a sliver of hope! :xf::luck:

Does anyone know when waitlisters might expect to hear something?

Also does Stanford eventually reject everyone they don't accept off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when waitlisters might expect to hear something?

The email said they'd have a sense regarding movement after April 30th. So I guess anytime between then and the first day of classes.

The email said they'd have a sense regarding movement after April 30th. So I guess anytime between then and the first day of classes.
That's not really what it says. It says they will contact those to whom a spot is offered "after the admissions season ends in May." So the lucky ones will hear in May, likely around mid-May since that's when the bulk of accepts occur for many med schools.

Accepted today off of the waitlist!!!

Reactions: 5 users
CONGRATS on your acceptance! :) that's amazing

For the WL: I think this may support that people who got the personalized email from the dean are prioritized, though sample size =1 currently, and is likely to increase only by a few (if any :D)

CONGRATS on your acceptance! :) that's amazing

For the WL: I think this may support that people who got the personalized email from the dean are prioritized, though sample size =1 currently, and is likely to increase only by a few (if any :D)
What personalized email? Was it from Gibbs' personal email address?

Mm I am not sure (didn't get one). From talking with people on other revisits and here, it is essentially an email saying although waitlisted, you are one of the few people who are being considered highly, etc, etc.

Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.

Mm I am not sure (didn't get one). From talking with people on other revisits and here, it is essentially an email saying although waitlisted, you are one of the few people who are being considered highly, etc, etc.

Someone who got one of these can probably weigh in more if they feel comfortable doing so.

Well, if this helps anyone, the email was a personalized letter from the dean basically stating that the recipients were about to be wait-listed, but that the committee had found them, in her words, “highly desirable.” So @jk818 is spot on. It then said that they’d know of any open spots by April 30th and would then contact folks as soon as spots became available. The standard wait-list email/notification came a few days later.

I don’t know how many folks received it, obviously; but they did mention that were contacting only a few folks.

Initially via phone call and then an email the next day.

That awkward moment when I didn't get such an email...whatever lol

Reactions: 1 users
I live in the Bay Area and, Stanford no longer perform traditional interviews. Applicants are required to perform various tasks such as instructing someone to build an Eiffel Tower-which test their leadership capability.

Has anyone been through the new screening process?