2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@calimed2017 did you try sending an LOI? Was thinking of doing the same, but was not aware they do not accept them...

yeah I did! Wish I had known that before I spent significant time writing it. but oh well :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For posterity: dean today mentioned that 50% of admits this year are published!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm withdrawing this week... maybe the spot will go to you! Best of luck everyone.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you headed? Totally understand if you don't want to say. Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you headed? Totally understand if you don't want to say. Congratulations!

Still unsure, somewhere along the east coast. Stanford gave me $0 in aid and I personally don't think any school is worth $400k+ over 4 years. I'd be the first person to take out the entire cost of attendance in straight loans. A bit unfortunate that the Hennessy-knight scholarship doesn't begin until next year. Ah well, everything happens for a reason. It wasn't meant to be.

Reactions: 2 users
Still unsure, somewhere along the east coast. Stanford gave me $0 in aid and I personally don't think any school is worth $400k+ over 4 years. I'd be the first person to take out the entire cost of attendance in straight loans. A bit unfortunate that the Hennessy-knight scholarship doesn't begin until next year. Ah well, everything happens for a reason. It wasn't meant to be.

sorry to hear that! i'm sure you will find the right fit. yikes on the 400K! sorry to hear about that

I assume many of us who read this thread are in the same position...we were WL at Stanford and wonder if there will be any WL movement in May. I notice that last year there were a few people that seemed to get "Priority" WL letters. A special letter that implied...hang in there, if we have a spot we are going to call you first. I received a standard WL letter, not anything "special." This is my first time posting on SDN, just looking for kindred spirits in the wait. I have been putting off signing a lease at the medical school I will ultimately likely attend (and I am actually very happy with this school), but Stanford is lurking at the back of my thoughts, even though I know the chances are extraordinarily slim to be admitted. Any insight from current students would be helpful. It is probably time to move on and fully embrace the schools that accepted me.

Reactions: 4 users
I was told today that they are no longer accepting post-interview application updates... was there an official deadline published online that I missed?

Very heartbreaking... but maybe it really was not meant to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your financial aid package gets reevaluated every year, so if you're eligible for that henn scholarship... it could come your way next year.

Your financial aid package gets reevaluated every year, so if you're eligible for that henn scholarship... it could come your way next year.

Just so everybody is clear - the Knight-Hennessey scholarship begins next year, meaning that only graduate students who are applying in 2017 to enroll in 2018 or later are eligible for it. If you enroll in 2017 (this year's class), then you are not eligible for it even next year.

I was told today that they are no longer accepting post-interview application updates... was there an official deadline published online that I missed?

Very heartbreaking... but maybe it really was not meant to be.

Not that I know of. I sent an update last month and they were receptive so I don't know what to say...

Not that I know of. I sent an update last month and they were receptive so I don't know what to say...
They are no longer taking updates.

Entirely speculation: either the class has been filled or the committee has met for the last time regarding waitlist candidates

They are no longer taking updates.

Entirely speculation: either the class has been filled or the committee has met for the last time regarding waitlist candidates

I don't think they will know whether the class has been filled until May 1st. Students often will withdraw near the deadline

I don't think they will know whether the class has been filled until May 1st. Students often will withdraw near the deadline

Yeah, I had purposely left all of my updates to send before the decision deadline hoping that this would be the case. :(

@iamturtles Do you know when they had stopped accepting updates?

I think they should go to the waitlist? Last year just under half of students who were offered acceptances matriculated (not sure how many off the WL though). Anecdotally, I met a lot of students deciding between Stanford vs. Harvard/Penn/JHU/UCSF and were choosing another Top 5 over it.

p.s. did anyone's withdraw tab disappear?
Same here. According to last year's thread, the withdraw tab tended to disappear before a rejection was handed out. Granted, this all happened pre-II so I have no idea what this means.

I think they should go to the waitlist? Last year just under half of students who were offered acceptances matriculated (not sure how many off the WL though). Anecdotally, I met a lot of students deciding between Stanford vs. Harvard/Penn/JHU/UCSF and were choosing another Top 5 over it.

I'm not very surprised by this. My guess is with many east coast aceptees, students would prefer staying on the east coast than moving if given a choice. For Californians, probably UCSF will tend to be the cheaper option with IS tuition.

Nonetheless I think Stanford accounts for this and overaccepts even before April 30. @Ampharos even said S/he thought that there were 110 at second look, which confirms this.

They accept 180-190 each year though so while they're obviously not admitting 70 off the WL it's probably somewhat sizable.
Also Stanford is a very unique medical school, for good and bad reasons, so it's fairly polarizing in who decides to actually go to a school like that.

i know this is a long shot, but i was wondering if anyone heard back from the WL? i would love nothing more than to be able to go to med school here :(

Reactions: 2 users
No waitlist movement is anticipated this year. Sorry.

so i communicated with the admissions office, and they told me that they would notify me if there is a change in status. sounds like there is still a possibility of waitlist movement!

Edit: I also noticed that Stanford's FB group has 216 members as of today. Don't know exactly what this means, since there are probably a bunch of students from previous classes in the group.

Last edited:
Sorry to break bad news friends,
I asked an admissions officer and this is a direct quote from email response. I guess no Stanford for me or any of us waiting :/

"Thank you for your email. At this point in the process, it is highly unlikely that our waitlist will be activated this year. Thank you for your continued interest in the Stanford Medical School. Please let me know if you have any other questions and have a great day."

Source: The admissions officer was Mr. Arturo Herrera

Last edited:
I asked an admissions officer and this is a direct quote from email response. I guess no Stanford for me or any of us waiting :/

"Thank you for your email. At this point in the process, it is highly unlikely that our waitlist will be activated this year. Thank you for your continued interest in the Stanford Medical School. Please let me know if you have any other questions and have a great day."

Thanks for the update. To confirm, which admissions officer did you speak with?

Thanks for the update. To confirm, which admissions officer did you speak with?
hi there!
I communicated with Arturo Herrera, the Senior admissions officer. He works very closely with the Dean so I trust his gauge.

I was pretty bummed as well. I guess not so surprising that the ppl accepted want to go to Stanford and thus, over-enrolled compared to projected number :/

I wanted to communicate this, especially for any other fellow WLs out there, because for me it took away a lot of anxieties. I am still hopeful though because you never know...

so sad

Source: The admissions officer was Mr. Arturo Herrera

hi there!
I communicated with Arturo Herrera, the Senior admissions officer. He works very closely with the Dean so I trust his gauge.

I was pretty bummed as well. I guess not so surprising that the ppl accepted want to go to Stanford and thus, over-enrolled compared to projected number :/

I wanted to communicate this, especially for any other fellow WLs out there, because for me it took away a lot of anxieties. I am still hopeful though because you never know...

Maybe I'm being overly obsessive. The group count is now at 212, though there could be a lag phase of students leaving the group late

Maybe I'm being overly obsessive. The group count is now at 212, though there could be a lag phase of students leaving the group late

Were there more or fewer people in the recent past?

anyone else want to send one last email after @mcatbuddy and I have already done so? just to confirm our fates :\

"Thank you for the email. We are working on finalizing our admit list. If there is a change in your status, we will contact you.

Thank you for your interest in Stanford Medicine."

Has anyone seen the tuition bill for the fall yet? I have not seen mine and it's very close to the start of classes.

I believe maybe one person got off the WL during that cycle.

• Wow