2016-2017 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 characters)

How would you handle a situation where your colleague is not contributing equally in a collaborative project? (2000 characters)

Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:

Academic Medicine

Non-Academic Clinical Practice

Health Policy/Administration

Primary Care

Public Health (Community Health, Global Health)

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)

If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed). Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Incoming MS-1 at Stanford. This is an amazing place. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to respond.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming MS-1 at Stanford. This is an amazing place. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to respond.

Cheers.

I am sure this has been answered before, but do most of your classmates have publications?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 characters)

How would you handle a situation where your colleague is not contributing equally in a collaborative project? (2000 characters)

Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:

Academic Medicine

Non-Academic Clinical Practice

Health Policy/Administration

Primary Care

Public Health (Community Health, Global Health)

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)

If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed). Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a dumb question but does your spouse count as "family"? i.e. in the question "Do any members of your family have an association with Stanford?" Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused about the scholarly concentration. Do you select one foundation and one application, or just one between all 15 choices?

This is a dumb question but does your spouse count as "family"? i.e. in the question "Do any members of your family have an association with Stanford?" Thanks

I'm pretty sure it does. Once you're married your spouse usually becomes your next of kin legally

I'm confused about the scholarly concentration. Do you select one foundation and one application, or just one between all 15 choices?
Everyone must choose a foundation. Applications are optional. We are required to complete 12 scholarly concentration units. If you only choose a foundation area, you complete all 12 units in that foundation. If you choose a foundation/application combo, you do 6 units in the foundation and 6 in the application. I don't think you can choose an application area only.

Last edited:
Good luck fellas! This is a dream school for me. Hopefully I will get a good enough MCAT score to apply here- will know in July.

does your amcas have to be verified before you receive a secondary or does stanford send you one simply after you've submitted amcas and added them as one of the schools you're applying to? thank you!

does your amcas have to be verified before you receive a secondary or does stanford send you one simply after you've submitted amcas and added them as one of the schools you're applying to? thank you!

Last year, I didn't get a secondary until after my AMCAS was verified.

Did you guys get an email after you submitted secondary and paid fee?

Is the "Health Beliefs and Attitude Survey" new to the Stanford secondary this year? I hadn't seen any info about it in prior years. Such an interesting part of the application!

Edit: Guess I really didn't look that hard, because it's definitely not new. But still, I think it's a cool aspect of the secondary.

Last edited:
Can someone give me an explanation of these fields:
· Academic Medicine
· Non-Academic Clinical Practice
· Health Policy/Administration
· Primary Care
· Public Health (Community Health, Global Health)

My goal is to be a practicing physician (currently interested in cardiology and anesthesiology) but also work in clinical research in the medical technology sector. What would be the best option for me to select??

· Academic Medicine
· Primary Care

My goal is to be a practicing physician (currently interested in cardiology and anesthesiology) but also work in clinical research in the medical technology sector. What would be the best option for me to select??

I guess mainly, I'm confused about the difference between non-academic clinical practice versus primary care.

I guess mainly, I'm confused about the difference between non-academic clinical practice versus primary care.
Primary care, more or less, is family med, internal med, and peds. Cards and anes =/= primary care

Can someone tell me what an average week is like at Stanford? Specifically, how much time is spent in lecture or other scheduled school required activities? I am wondering how much time is available in the curriculum to study/do ECs as I do better studying the material outside of class than I do in, so I would be against an 8-5 type of schedule

Secondary submitted! Underdog doesn't even begin to describe my app here, but I've always dreamed of living in the bay area, so I couldn't apply to medical school without throwing an app in.

· Academic Medicine
· Primary Care

What did you end up choosing? My goal is basically the same as yours

Does anyone know if they will take pre-interview updates? Got notification of a pub two days after submitting secondary :(

I know from previous threads they don't, but it also seems like they took off the sentence about how they won't accept it from the website this year..

Does the AdCom at Stanford see my disadvantaged statement that I submitted to AMCAS? I know the AMCAS prompy was something to the effect of:

Explain below why you believe you should be considered a disadvantaged applicant by your designated medical schools. The space available for your explanation is 1325 characters, or approximately ¼ page. *

For the essays regarding your career path, would it be strange to talk about wanting to be in academic medicine but not having applied for the MD/PhD program?

For the essays regarding your career path, would it be strange to talk about wanting to be in academic medicine but not having applied for the MD/PhD program?
no. most academic physicians are not md/phds

Reactions: 1 users
Idk what is with Sundays now, but...

Got an II via email this morning! Proceeded to jump up and down until I realized it was July and Stanford usually begins sending out invites in August. I log into the portal to find that there were no available interview dates. Basically feels like the invite is a mistake at this point :(

I email the admissions office. Prompt reply says it wasn't a mistake and to wait for updates to the interview schedule.
Beyond ecstatic right now!!!

Complete 7/10. LizzyM ~80.

Reactions: 7 users
is "How would you handle a situation where your colleague is not contributing equally in a collaborative project?" a new question this year?

Any thoughts on how to approach this? Are they looking for hypothetical situations or past examples of such situations? Is there a "right" answer?

Last edited:
is "How would you handle a situation where your colleague is not contributing equally in a collaborative project?" a new question this year?

Any thoughts on how to approach this? Are they looking for hypothetical situations or past examples of such situations? Is there a "right" answer?

Right there with you- since it's a new question I'm wondering if they're just looking for a general approach? Although we always hear "show, don't tell" so I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Pretty sure it's a new question this year. I prewrote essays according to last year's secondary, and it wasn't on there.
Given the limited space, I just wrote a general approach: possible courses of actions and what I think should be considered when addressing the situation. I don't think there is a "right" answer, but there are answers that might be better than others.

Did any one else get an email this morning saying the following "According to our records, you have not yet submitted your Supplemental
Application to Stanford School of Medicine. If you intend to submit
the application, we request that you do so as soon as possible, and
before the final deadline:
October 31, 2016. [...]"

I just hit the two week mark today (currently working full time). Definitely didn't pre write enough but I thought I would be fine submitting in the 2-3 week time frame. Are they strict about turnaround time being indicative of interest?

Did any one else get an email this morning saying the following "According to our records, you have not yet submitted your Supplemental
October 31, 2016. [...]"

I just hit the two week mark today (currently working full time). Definitely didn't pre write enough but I thought I would be fine submitting in the 2-3 week time frame. Are they strict about turnaround time being indicative of interest?

I received this email too. Not sure if they're going to look at the turnaround time though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

October 31, 2016. [...]"

I got the same message several times. I turned in my secondary about a month after receiving it. Still got accepted last cycle, but off the waitlist tho. Interpret that how you wish.

Reactions: 2 users
^ I hope they don't look at that too poorly. I submitted my secondary exactly 2 weeks in. Fingers crossed for a response...

I got the same message several times. I turned in my secondary about a month after receiving it. Still got accepted last cycle, but off the waitlist tho. Interpret that how you wish.

So you're saying...there's a chance!

Submitted after the scary reminder email! They definitely have a unique secondary.

Are the character limitations including spaces or not including? I haven't received the secondary yet (still waiting to be verified), so am prewriting everything.

Did anyone not get a secondary application yet? I submitted my primary application june 30th....really scared right now, but I thought everyone got a secondary application