2015-2016 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiosity, did anyone interview, get the waitlist/hold status, and then get accepted? Or are all of us still on the same boat?

Out of curiosity, did anyone interview, get the waitlist/hold status, and then get accepted? Or are all of us still on the same boat?

I think we are in the same situation. Interviewed and have the hold status. Hoping they'll tell us what to expect from here on out soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is hold status the same as being wait listed? If so will we hear anything before May?

Is hold status the same as being wait listed? If so will we hear anything before May?
I think that's what we're interpreting it to mean right now, but I don't know anything officially. Thought I read somewhere on this thread that they would be compiling a waitlist sometime between now and May.

I think that's what we're interpreting it to mean right now, but I don't know anything officially. Thought I read somewhere on this thread that they would be compiling a waitlist sometime between now and May.

This is my understanding as well

Did y'all send in updates? I feel like everyone at the interview (and after getting placed on hold) really really really stressed the update letter, but I sort of recently quit my job to go travel for the next 5 months and I'm not totally sure that's what they are going to want to hear in an update letter

"Hi Stritch? Yeah, I just wasn't feeling the 9-5 anymore, so I decided to saddle my SO with my furniture and head to Europe indefinitely. P.S. I'm great, please accept me :banana:

Did y'all send in updates? I feel like everyone at the interview (and after getting placed on hold) really really really stressed the update letter, but I sort of recently quit my job to go travel for the next 5 months and I'm not totally sure that's what they are going to want to hear in an update letter

"Hi Stritch? Yeah, I just wasn't feeling the 9-5 anymore, so I decided to saddle my SO with my furniture and head to Europe indefinitely. P.S. I'm great, please accept me :banana:
I would sincerely consider sending in an update. Mr. Nabers said to say how your update will better prepare you for a career in medicine. I sent in my update a week before my acceptance. You're great they'll accept you. :)

I agree with the above post that sending an update at this point can be beneficial. I sent one a couple weeks before my interview invite, and another one after my actually interview--was accepted a week after that update. The update can work in your favor if you're able to state how what you're doing now will make you a great medical student and future doctor, and how you would love the opportunity to attend Loyola. I've been told that Loyola likes to feel the love. However, I would caution against sending an update that's easily identified as fluff.

How often is it appropriate to send an update (given that you actually have something new to add)? I sent one in February after my interview in January, haven't been accepted yet, but do have another update I could send now. Just thinking it may make a difference but also don't want to overdo it lol thanks!

How often is it appropriate to send an update (given that you actually have something new to add)? I sent one in February after my interview in January, haven't been accepted yet, but do have another update I could send now. Just thinking it may make a difference but also don't want to overdo it lol thanks!

As long as you have something to add, and you're not sending one every month, I think it's okay! The committee has read everyone's application at this point, and if your update adds something more to your application, or further displays how you fit their mission, go for it! It can't hurt at this point in the cycle. Good luck!

As long as you have something to add, and you're not sending one every month, I think it's okay! The committee has read everyone's application at this point, and if your update adds something more to your application, or further displays how you fit their mission, go for it! It can't hurt at this point in the cycle. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your encouraging response!

When I spoke to admissions on the phone they said they would complete all acceptances by March 15. An alternate list would then be constructed sometime in mid-April. Mr. Nabers also confirmed this during the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance here today, good luck to everyone.

Summarized match info:

5 anes, 1 child neuro, 7 derm (including 1 snagging the only military spot), 1 derm/med, 23 emergency, 16 family, 31 internal, 9 med/peds, 1 psych/med, 2 neuro, 1 neurosurg, 6 OB, 3 ophtho, 9 ortho, 5 ENT, 5 peds, 1 plastics, 5 psych, 1 rad onc, 4 rads, 6 gen surg, and 4 uro.

Most matched to the midwest, but people match nationally at 32 total states + DC. 16% matched at Loyola IIRC (sign of low inbreeding and strong demand nationally, which are both very positive).

Came out to about 50/50 for primary care vs specialty. Every field is represented. Over the years both of those statements have been standard for Loyola. Students are encouraged to follow their hearts, unlike certain schools that push for primary care or specialties or discourage certain fields, which I think is poor practice IMO.

Most important stat: vast majority matched into their desired field at a Top 3 place on their match list. Something like 87% at their top 3 with >50% getting their #1 (don't have the exact values off hand). In the end, this is what truly matters: getting students into the field they want to be in at the city, region, program they want. Yes, a few scrambled (FYI: ~700 students scramble nationally each year, aka ~5 per school), and all were successful.

Key note for those who are still deciding on schools and love to look at match lists, be sure to make note of the following:
  • How big the class is. I'll use derm as an example. Matching 8 derm (inc. our med/derm) at a school of ~150 like Loyola is far more impressive than 8 from a school of 300-400. Similarly, putting 16 into derm at a school of 300 is the same at 8/150. At Loyola, 8 students is ~5% of the class, but recognize that derm residencies make up only ~1.5% of total residency spots, so Loyola outperformed national standards by about 3.5 fold. You can apply this evaluation for any field.
  • Check out the extent of inbreeding. Some programs, especially the ivy league schools, tend to retain up to 50% of their students. Don't be deceived; it's generally not a good thing (with maybe Harvard being the exception since it has so many residency spots at its 5 hospitals). Inbreeding has the potential to make these residency programs weaker nationally than they would be otherwise by accepting weaker applicants.
  • Be careful when you look at program names. Some "no name" schools and hospitals are very, VERY good at certain specialities (e.g. Rush for ortho), and some "big names" are actually undesirable for some specialities. This is highly variable field-by-field. Plus, in the end, each person has their own preference that goes far beyond name and can only be determined by looking at their specific match list.
  • Recognize that the most important data point is % matched per applicant in each field. A school may put 10 into ENT, but if 20 applied, that's horrible. If 10 applied and they all matched, that's fantastic. For example, Loyola had only 1 person match plastics, but only 1 applied (can't do much better than 100%...). Be extremely cautious interpreting the raw # of matches unless you know how many applied. Understand that this information is almost uniformly unavailable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Summarized match info:

5 anes, 1 child neuro, 7 derm (including 1 snagging the only military spot), 1 derm/med, 23 emergency, 16 family, 31 internal, 9 med/peds, 1 psych/med, 2 neuro, 1 neurosurg, 6 OB, 3 ophtho, 9 ortho, 5 ENT, 5 peds, 1 plastics, 5 psych, 1 rad onc, 4 rads, 6 gen surg, and 4 uro.

Most matched to the midwest, but people match nationally at 32 total states + DC. 16% matched at Loyola IIRC (sign of low inbreeding and strong demand nationally, which are both very positive).

Came out to about 50/50 for primary care vs specialty. Every field is represented. Over the years both of those statements have been standard for Loyola. Students are encouraged to follow their hearts, unlike certain schools that push for primary care or specialties or discourage certain fields, which I think is poor practice IMO.

Most important stat: vast majority matched into their desired field at a Top 3 place on their match list. Something like 87% at their top 3 with >50% getting their #1 (don't have the exact values off hand). In the end, this is what truly matters: getting students into the field they want to be in at the city, region, program they want. Yes, a few scrambled (FYI: ~700 students scramble nationally each year, aka ~5 per school), and all were successful.

Key note for those who are still deciding on schools and love to look at match lists, be sure to make note of the following:
  • How big the class is. I'll use derm as an example. Matching 8 derm (inc. our med/derm) at a school of ~150 like Loyola is far more impressive than 8 from a school of 300-400. Similarly, putting 16 into derm at a school of 300 is the same at 8/150. At Loyola, 8 students is ~5% of the class, but recognize that derm residencies make up only ~1.5% of total residency spots, so Loyola outperformed national standards by about 3.5 fold. You can apply this evaluation for any field.
  • Check out the extent of inbreeding. Some programs, especially the ivy league schools, tend to retain up to 50% of their students. Don't be deceived; it's generally not a good thing (with maybe Harvard being the exception since it has so many residency spots at its 5 hospitals). Inbreeding has the potential to make these residency programs weaker nationally than they would be otherwise by accepting weaker applicants.
  • Be careful when you look at program names. Some "no name" schools and hospitals are very, VERY good at certain specialities (e.g. Rush for ortho), and some "big names" are actually undesirable for some specialities. This is highly variable field-by-field. Plus, in the end, each person has their own preference that goes far beyond name and can only be determined by looking at their specific match list.
  • Recognize that the most important data point is % matched per applicant in each field. A school may put 10 into ENT, but if 20 applied, that's horrible. If 10 applied and they all matched, that's fantastic. For example, Loyola had only 1 person match plastics, but only 1 applied (can't do much better than 100%...). Be extremely cautious interpreting the raw # of matches unless you know how many applied. Understand that this information is almost uniformly unavailable.
I'm interested in ENT and 5 ENT matches seems pretty high for one school. Is that typical or just due to one class having a higher than normal amount be interested in ENT?

I'm interested in ENT and 5 ENT matches seems pretty high for one school. Is that typical or just due to one class having a higher than normal amount be interested in ENT?
5 for class of 2016, 5 for class of 2015, can't find class of 2014, 7 for class of 2013, 4 for class of 2012. Not sure what the average is. Our ENT department is strong. You still have to be a stellar student, though.

I know this has been asked several times, but do you know what the most up to date step 1 score at Stritch? Thank you for sharing this information. I definitely want to specialize, although I enjoy primary care, so having these stats is really helpful!

Summarized match info:

I know this has been asked several times, but do you know what the most up to date step 1 score at Stritch? Thank you for sharing this information. I definitely want to specialize, although I enjoy primary care, so having these stats is really helpful!

233, above the national average

Class of 2016 was 232. I wouldn't put much stock into what the Step 1 class average is for a given medical school. I would argue the step 1 class average is less dependent on the quality of a medical school's curriculum but more so a reflection on what % of students are going for ultra competitive specialities vs not. You need to put the work in on your own to do well on step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Class of 2016 was 232. I wouldn't put much stock into what the Step 1 class average is for a given medical school. I would argue the step 1 class average is less dependent on the quality of a medical school's curriculum but more so a reflection on what % of students are going for ultra competitive specialities vs not. You need to put the work in on your own to do well on step 1.
Do you find the Loyola's curriculum format prepared you well for the boards? or was it still necessary for students to put in a lot of time aside during second year to prepare for Step 1, thanks!

Do you find the Loyola's curriculum format prepared you well for the boards? or was it still necessary for students to put in a lot of time aside during second year to prepare for Step 1, thanks!
I don't mean to dodge your question, but it really depends on who you ask.

We have 7-8 weeks allotted time to study on our own at the end of second year. Most people use 5-6 weeks for study and use the rest for vacation before third year. During the dedicated study time, most people focus on Uworld, First Aid, and pathoma. Throughout second year, however, there is a wide range of strategies in terms of preparation for step 1. I know many people who went to class every day and only studied class materials indepthly. I also know a couple people who never even listened to the lectures and focused on firecracker and Q banks. Most people are in between but more similar to the first group of students. It also depends on the topic as well. Some people may say oh that is too much detail, other times they may be wanting more detail. It's impossible to know what you will end up getting questions about on and sometimes it is the opposite of what you think.

Our academic center for excellence (ACE) puts a lot of emphasis on preparing students for step 1. We have a group called step 1 stritch where upperclassmen help the second years go over Qbank questions associated with every block. A lot of peer mentoring takes place. There are review lectures for every block. Previous students' dedicated time study plans are widely shared when it comes time to make your own schedule for dedicated time. Our school pays for students to take a practice NBME as a class in April to get a baseline. I'm sure there are things I am forgetting.

You will get a lot of support here. You still need to put in a lot of work on your own time.

Reactions: 1 users

As stated above, Loyola typically has ~5 going into ENT each year. Like you were saying, that's a pretty solid number and is more than statistically expected for a school our size. This year 5 applied and all matched. Can't beat that! :)

Loyola trends at 2-4pts above the national average, similar to what was said above. Though this is kind of a moot stat though. I have friends going into family and psych who barely studied for the test because they weren't concerned. No joke: one did "well enough" on a practice test, moved his test a week earlier, vacationed for the next month plus, and ended up with a score spot on for his desired field. On the other hand, I know others that studied throughout 2nd year because they have their hearts set on a competitive field.

Key point to consider
: Loyola has ~50% of their students going into primary care each year on average, plus the PM&R and psych peeps. That does impact a school's average board scores. Why work your face off for a 260 if you know you're going into a field that places minimal weight Step 1 scores? Not everyone wants that 90+ percentile score, despite what SDN may make you believe, so I wouldn't recommend taking averages too much to heart because they incorporate so many people with so many different goals.

I'd say yes, and I second everything immunology89 had to say. Loyola is very supportive and has a lot of resources. But please know that med school curriculums nationally are highly regulated by LCME. No matter how schools may paint things, every student nationally is learning the same things. Personally, I feel your own efforts/abilities/goals have a significantly greater impact on your score than the timing of when you take physiology or immunology or the like.

As far as the test goes, most people buy the same Step 1 resources as everyone else: Pathoma + First Aid + UWorld. Those resources, plus others, are fantastic and are the reason the national average goes up year after year. Loyola students are allotted 8 weeks to study, and most take it on average after 5 weeks to avoid burnout. Both those numbers are pretty standard amongst schools. I studied for 6 weeks and those final 5-7 days were brutal. I can't imagine doing any more than that.

Question for current students: for those that do STAR/research at Loyola, how easy is it to get publications? Trying to choose between schools and now I'm beginning to pick at the research opps. Also, does anyone have anything to say about the Research Honors Track?

Just curious :) Thanks everyone!

Question for current students: for those that do STAR/research at Loyola, how easy is it to get publications? Trying to choose between schools and now I'm beginning to pick at the research opps. Also, does anyone have anything to say about the Research Honors Track?

It's difficult to fully answer your question because it really depends on the field that you do research in, the type of research you do, and the specific project that you work on. I will be doing STAR this summer and the PI I'm working with has tons of publications. When I asked about publication opportunities she said that if I worked on any of their projects, my name would appear on any publications that resulted from those projects. She also said that how quickly things moved along would depend on my commitment to the project and how much time/work I put into it. I would assume it's the same for every other PI.

However, keep in mind that "how easy" it is to get published also depends on the type of research you do. There are many people that do retrospective chart reviews, and those are a little easier to get published than say projects that mainly involve bench work.

Hope that helps a little!

Last edited:

Pubs are based on the PI combined with your own personal effort. One of my close friends has >10 publications since first year, mostly 1st author. This person also has travelled internationally to some of the biggest conferences in the world and presented at them. But it takes a ton of work. Some material is easier to publish (chart review, data mining, etc.) if that's what you mean by easy. Accordingly, these "easier" types of pubs are viewed as lesser quality than bench work or large clinical trials, both of which often take years to complete. This should make sense. With medicine you pick your poison.

Anyone can do the research honors track if they want. No weeding out process, you just have to stick with it for 4 years and fulfill the requirements. STAR is one of those components, and anyone can do it as long as they get an approved mentor and do research for 8 weeks between M1-M2 year. Amongst them on average ~80% or so of students get STAR scholarships, while the remaining 20% are still part of STAR but just don't get funding. The STAR program has essentially unlimited # of scholarships because the fund is massive, but those 20% of students have chosen to do projects that have been deemed by the selection committee to not be worthy of funding (see above) compared to the other 80%. Again, pick your poison.

For those that came, we hope you had a fantastic time at Second Look!! The current students are very receptive to questions so feel free to contact any of us.

If any current students care to share, does Loyola have AOA? If so, are AOA members announced in time for residency application?
Also, what are the selection criteria and/or the percent of class that gets AOA?

Thanks

Last edited:
Does Loyola have AOA? If so, are AOA members announced in time for residency application?
Does anyone know the selection criteria and/or the percent of class that gets AOA?
Yes we have AOA and yes it is announced in time for the residency application/dean's letter. The % of a class that gets AOA is capped at 1/6 by the AOA honor society not by loyola. This past year, the ranking was based on a combination of class rank (which is a product of M1-M3 grades with M3 roughly equivalent to M2 and M1 combined), step 1 score, and involvement in extracurriculars/professionalism (i.e. research honors, global health honors, bioethics, service, etc.). The exact breakdown of how these criteria are used is not explicitly outlined but we are told that academic performance is heavily weighted. Just this past year Loyola began inducting a few MS3s along with the MS4s who are selected.

I would not use whether or not a school has AOA as a factor in deciding which school to attend. In your residency application you can check a box that says "my school does not have AOA," so if that was true your lack of AOA status in that case should not be counted against you during your application to residency.

Has anyone heard any updates about the waitlist? Have there been any portal changes? My post interview portal status hasn't changed.

Has anyone heard any updates about the waitlist? Have there been any portal changes? My post interview portal status hasn't changed.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading threads from previous years, waitlist movement doesn't seem to occur until around May-June as the school waits until May 15th for everyone who has been given an acceptance to take that spot.

Yes we have AOA and yes it is announced in time for the residency application/dean's letter. The % of a class that gets AOA is capped at 1/6 by the AOA honor society not by loyola. This past year, the ranking was based on a combination of class rank (which is a product of M1-M3 grades with M3 roughly equivalent to M2 and M1 combined), step 1 score, and involvement in extracurriculars/professionalism (i.e. research honors, global health honors, bioethics, service, etc.). The exact breakdown of how these criteria are used is not explicitly outlined but we are told that academic performance is heavily weighted. Just this past year Loyola began inducting a few MS3s along with the MS4s who are selected.

I would not use whether or not a school has AOA as a factor in deciding which school to attend. In your residency application you can check a box that says "my school does not have AOA," so if that was true your lack of AOA status in that case should not be counted against you during your application to residency.
Thank you!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading threads from previous years, waitlist movement doesn't seem to occur until around May-June as the school waits until May 15th for everyone who has been given an acceptance to take that spot.
Oh yeah, what I was referring to was the actual alternate list. They told us that the alternate list wouldn't be created until mid April. I wanted to see if anyone heard any updates about that.

I think I am unclear about the difference between the alternate list and the wait list?

I think I am unclear about the difference between the alternate list and the wait list?

I was under the impression that "alternate list" and "waitlist" had the same meaning and could be used interchangeably...can any current students who were waitlisted and then accepted comment on this?

Oh no, I hope I didn't make things confusing. Here's what I understand. The alternate list and the waitlist are the same thing lol. Admissions told me that the actual alternate list will be created in mid-April. Then, once there's movement with people dropping their seat in the class and going elsewhere, they will begin calling people off the alternate list. So my question was 1) Did anyone's post-interview status change? 2) Was anyone contacted about being on the official alternate list? I hope that makes sense.

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Oh no, I hope I didn't make things confusing. Here's what I understand. The alternate list and the waitlist are the same thing lol. Admissions told me that the actual alternate list will be created in mid-April. Then, once there's movement with people dropping their seat in the class and going elsewhere, they will begin calling people off the alternate list. So my question was 1) Did anyone's post-interview status change? 2) Was anyone contacted about being on the official alternate list? I hope that makes sense.

Ohhh gotcha, I see what you mean now. I feel like that's something you could probably call the admissions office to ask about whether or not people's portal statuses would change regarding being an official alternate list.

Does anyone know the 4 year COA? I can only find that year one is 62k

Does anyone know the 4 year COA? I can only find that year one is 62k
Based on class of 2020's financial aid, the estimated COA is $80,875 with tuition at $54,710. However, I think the actual COA will be significantly less due to cheaper housing in the area etc.