2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a general question....if everything is complete but I only have 2 of 4 letters that I intend to send to the school uploaded on amcas....should I go ahead and assign the two letters to the school? can I upload the other two later and would those be added to my application once I do that?

can somebody post the secondary essay questions? Is the only one the one asking about plans during the 2015-2016 academic year?

Someone posted them above. The first is the plans during the 2015-2016 academic year and the other is any other information to add to your application.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary yesterday morning and submitted it after work around 11p PST
For the second prompt, I wrote about my goals and ambitions and how Geisel could help me accomplish them.

Yaaay!

All applications are reviewed in the order they are received. So early completion = early II.
Ah, good to know. ****, I better get cranking!

my school works on a three credit system for each class. Does darthmouth give four credits per class, so that is what they are "expecting"?. I know that's a weird question, but I dont have room to fit both general chemistrys and their coinciding labs. I think I'm going to call admissions on monday to figure out what they want.

Could that second prompt be related to a hobby ? Or does it need to be more clinical/volunteer/service/etc oriented?

my school works on a three credit system for each class. Does darthmouth give four credits per class, so that is what they are "expecting"?. I know that's a weird question, but I dont have room to fit both general chemistrys and their coinciding labs. I think I'm going to call admissions on monday to figure out what they want.
Usually the expectation is 3 credit lectures, 1 credit labs. :shrug:
I can't imagine they'd be off on this, since all applicants use standardized credit hours through AMCAS.

About how long is everyone going to go with for the "something not in your app" prompt? Got my secondary today strangely enough

I have a question concerning the Premedical Requirements on the secondary application, specifically for Biochemistry.

My school is on a quarter system, and I took one quarter of biochemistry. My official transcript hours are listed as 4, and AMCAS converted that value into 2.7 semester hours.

Does this satisfy the one-half year requirement despite the application listing "Biochemistry (4 Sem. Hrs.)"?

If so, do I input "2.7" into the "AMCAS Sem. Hours" box?

If not (and since they want you to put In Progress courses), what should I input for "College," "Department," "Course #," "Course Name," and "AMCAS Sem. Hours" if I am not currently enrolled in any sort of biochem course and don't plan to enroll until next year (before matriculation)?

I have this same question :(

Forgot my password and username already before I started making a spreadsheet for them :bang:

I think the username is supposed to be AMCAS ID...does anyone remember if the password had to have certain characters etc?

Does anyone know the word/character limit for the secondary application prompts? I didn't see anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the word/character limit for the secondary application prompts? I didn't see anything.
Like @mehc012 said, there doesn't seem to be. FWIW I submitted, looked at the PDF printout, and all of my words were there.

Forgot my password and username already before I started making a spreadsheet for them :bang:

I think the username is supposed to be AMCAS ID...does anyone remember if the password had to have certain characters etc?
The password is just your last name.

I also have a question about the 4 hrs of biochem. So when anyone hears back let us know!

The password is just your last name.

I also have a question about the 4 hrs of biochem. So when anyone hears back let us know!
I don't understand...isn't 4 credits just the standard way of saying "1 semester of lecture and lab"?

I don't understand...isn't 4 credits just the standard way of saying "1 semester of lecture and lab"?
Yeah, 3 credits for lecture and 1 for lab, but my school doesn't have a 1 hour biochemistry lab that accompanies the lecture.

A lot of schools either don't offer the lab or don't require the lab.

I did take biochemistry 2, however (so I have 6 hours). So I might be okay?

I guess I'll need to call them Monday to find out for sure.

It does say that they require 1 semester of Ochem, so if I had a full year of Ochem with lab, I assume that would cover the 1 hour of lab for Biochem.

It does say that they require 1 semester of Ochem, so if I had a full year of Ochem with lab, I assume that would cover the 1 hour of lab for Biochem.
Biochem and Ochem are nothing like each other, but I think that's just the orgo major in me speaking, lol! It's probably fine. Also, if you've got only 1 credit worth of prereqs left, you can just say you'll take the lab before matriculation. As long as you get a C in it, you're golden!

How do you take Biochem without taking lab?

My school doesn't even offer a biochem lab.
Wow, that's crazy. o_O
I'd just put down your biochem lecture, and if they ask about it you have an entirely reasonable justification for not taking it thus far. Prereqs must be taken by matriculation, not application, so if you get in, you can either talk to them for an exception ('my school does not even offer it; I took the extent of biochem that my school feels is necessary') or just cruise through a single credit C taking the lab for a subject you already know at a local CC or something.

Wow, that's crazy. o_O
I'd just put down your biochem lecture, and if they ask about it you have an entirely reasonable justification for not taking it thus far. Prereqs must be taken by matriculation, not application, so if you get in, you can either talk to them for an exception ('my school does not even offer it; I took the extent of biochem that my school feels is necessary') or just cruise through a single credit C taking the lab for a subject you already know at a local CC or something.
Most CC's don't offer biochem, or it isn't recognized when at a CC anyway. But I would not be stressing about it so much-- put down that you had 2 semesters of Ochem, and your lecture in Biochem. My school didn't have a lab offered at the same time for biochem either, so I just took the lab. I just made sure to put all of the ochem that I took down!

They won't necssarily ask you about missing one unit either.. at this stage it could just be a rejection, but with the differences in curriculum everywhere, I think that is why schools often require "second semester of Ochem AND/OR biochem."

Either way, the only way to concretely know if you are worried is to call! They are wonderfully sweet at the office :)

Most CC's don't offer biochem, or it isn't recognized when at a CC anyway. But I would not be stressing about it so much-- put down that you had 2 semesters of Ochem, and your lecture in Biochem. My school didn't have a lab offered at the same time for biochem either, so I just took the lab. I just made sure to put all of the ochem that I took down!

They won't necssarily ask you about missing one unit either.. at this stage it could just be a rejection, but with the differences in curriculum everywhere, I think that is why schools often require "second semester of Ochem AND/OR biochem."

Either way, the only way to concretely know if you are worried is to call! They are wonderfully sweet at the office :)
I'm not the one stressing, I'm the one advocating not to stress!
You're giving the same advice I am!

And still, as a side note...I recognize that it is completely irrelevant, but as an O-chem major it hurts a little to see it equated with biochem when the two are not even remotely similar.

I'm not the one stressing, I'm the one advocating not to stress!
You're giving the same advice I am!

And still, as a side note...I recognize that it is completely irrelevant, but as an O-chem major it hurts a little to see it equated with biochem when the two are not even remotely similar.

I quoted your response to follow the conversation, not to criticise, sorry if it struck a chord.

And, I know what you mean about the Ochem=biochem. I have never understood why they are equated-- I just wanted to say that more often than not, they are :)

I quoted your response to follow the conversation, not to criticise, sorry if it struck a chord.

And, I know what you mean about the Ochem=biochem. I have never understood why they are equated-- I just wanted to say that more often than not, they are :)
Nah, I wasn't upset, just confused!

All of these schools have such slight variations of the requirements, and each of our schools is so individual as to what it offers/gives credit for. My school, for example, will send a letter stating that they allowed us to pass out of classes with AP credits...but they wouldn't for me because 'schools know that you couldn't have taken [upper level math that is not Calc or Stats] without testing out of Calculus. Well, that's great and all, but it doesn't help the secondary.

Point is, I'm basically ignoring minor differences here or there and assuming I can make them up before matriculation. That way, instead of there being like 5 different courses I have to take 'just in case', I will find out exactly what I do and don't have to take (probably just one class, maybe zero) for whichever place accepts me!

So for entering prereq's, Dartmouth requires 8 credits of organic chemistry. My school counts a semester of organic chemistry as 1 credit. How should I enter it in? As 8 or as 2?

So for entering prereq's, Dartmouth requires 8 credits of organic chemistry. My school counts a semester of organic chemistry as 1 credit. How should I enter it in? As 8 or as 2?
I pretty much guarantee you that AMCAS converted your 1 credit into the standardized semester hours when they verified your transcript. Use whatever AMCAS put down for semester hours.

PS you should also look over your verified app for mistakes. My school also does 1 course, 1 credit, even with labs. You enter it in AMCAS as your transcript shows and they convert it to their credit hours...but they often mess up the conversion. I had 7 separate errors and had to file for an academic change request (which was granted). Your advisor should know what conversion standard AMCAS has for your school.

Anyone know if I'm OK not having taken Biochem lab? I took 3 semester hours of biochem (equivalent to a half year). The Dartmouth admissions site says that is all that is required... not four semester hours. I have also taken a year of orgo with lab. Do you guys think that's a problem, or can I go ahead and submit? That's all I'm waiting on.

Look at last years thread, addressed a few times there

@mavric1298 thank you kindly!! also, your avatar is awesome.

Carla: Baby, why is there a pancake in the silverware drawer?
Turk: You mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer?!

Reactions: 1 users
@mavric1298 thank you kindly!! also, your avatar is awesome.

Carla: Baby, why is there a pancake in the silverware drawer?
Turk: You mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer?!

J.D.: What? No! I hate pudding and I don’t use toilet paper..... I have one of those french things that shoots water up your butt.
Janitor: Bidet?
J.D.: Bidet to you, sir.

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted my primary yesterday, and I got my secondary today. Didn't expect anything for about 6 weeks.

Submitted my primary yesterday, and I got my secondary today. Didn't expect anything for about 6 weeks.

A bunch of the schools that send out 2ndaries to everyone will send them pre-verification

eaaaaaagggglleeeeeee

I have a question concerning the Premedical Requirements on the secondary application, specifically for Biochemistry.

My school is on a quarter system, and I took one quarter of biochemistry. My official transcript hours are listed as 4, and AMCAS converted that value into 2.7 semester hours.

Does this satisfy the one-half year requirement despite the application listing "Biochemistry (4 Sem. Hrs.)"?

If so, do I input "2.7" into the "AMCAS Sem. Hours" box?

If not (and since they want you to put In Progress courses), what should I input for "College," "Department," "Course #," "Course Name," and "AMCAS Sem. Hours" if I am not currently enrolled in any sort of biochem course and don't plan to enroll until next year (before matriculation)?

Answering my own question since I saw a few people with the same question!

"A single quarter (usually 2.7 hours) of biochemistry, included within two full years of chemistry, is sufficient to meet the biochemistry requirement." -Office of Admissions Rep

Reactions: 1 users
Having serious issues telling them something about myself that's not already in my app....

If that's the case, I would just leave the space blank. I've adopted the "optional is truly optional" mindset for secondaries, and I'd rather not burden adcoms with more things to read if I already covered everything in my app.

Edit: @ciestar Is the second prompt optional for Dartmouth? I forgot, and nothing on my secondary confirmation says it is. If it isn't optional, I remember people from previous years' threads talking about using the space to talk about what they would contribute to the medical school community (aka diversity essay).

Last edited:
If that's the case, I would just leave the space blank. I've adopted the "optional is truly optional" mindset for secondaries, and I'd rather not burden adcoms with more things to read if I already covered everything in my app.

I definitely wouldn't say I've covered everything but I am not really sure I have anything left worthy of writing an essay about?
idk, I'll think on it some more and see if I come up with anything interesting.

Whoops, you posted before I submitted my edit ^^^above regarding what people wrote for that prompt last year.

I'm kind of in the same boat on the last essay. I can expound on things in my primary, but nothing completely new, just more detailed. Thoughts?

Answering my own question since I saw a few people with the same question!

"A single quarter (usually 2.7 hours) of biochemistry, included within two full years of chemistry, is sufficient to meet the biochemistry requirement." -Office of Admissions Rep

I'm assuming this is the same as 3 hours (semester hrs) of biochem without a lab portion? Thanks for making that call and letting us know though!

secondary submitted! I wrote about my acceptance of my imperfections for my essay. good luck everyone :bookworm:

Submitted my secondary, did submit my gap year plans and my diversity essay.
Made me get those 2 essays in fine shape, will get to use them again and again and again.

Have a whole list of unique essays for those "special" schools, I'm getting a bit stressed about all this,
but I have a goal of submitting one secondary a day. Hopefully will be done by end of the month!!

Good luck to all

Secondary submitted! That second question was a semi-doozy but necessitated some valuable introspection. Good luck ya'll

Anyone have thoughts on using a diversity essay for the additional comments section?

Anyone have thoughts on using a diversity essay for the additional comments section?

From before, a few people have been using diversity for that essay.

For me, I'm thinking of a diversity/why Dartmouth combo bc I think they might fit well together.

So it seems like a lot of people are using the second question to write about why Dartmouth fits/diversity which is what I think I am going to do. However, I have not explained a couple bad grades on my application anywhere and this is the place it could fit but I am not sure :confused: Is anyone using that prompt to explain inconsistencies etc.

So it seems like a lot of people are using the second question to write about why Dartmouth fits/diversity which is what I think I am going to do. However, I have not explained a couple bad grades on my application anywhere and this is the place it could fit but I am not sure :confused: Is anyone using that prompt to explain inconsistencies etc.
I feel like that comment section would be a really good place to explain any inconsistencies. I think the people who are writing why Dartmouth/diversity essays are doing so because they have nothing else to write about.