2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite! Complete 08/05.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
you're having a great day @PolarBearMD !! congrats - i'm very jealous!!

did you apply to just the MD?

Reactions: 1 users
you're having a great day @PolarBearMD !! congrats - i'm very jealous!!

did you apply to just the MD?
I applied to the MD/ScM program, but the email did not mention the ScM at all. Not sure if that means this is an MD-only interview, or if it's for both?

Members don't see this ad :)
II! OOS, complete 7/20. I am in utter disbelief, but so excited!

Edited to add: I applied MD only.

Reactions: 2 users
LizzyM of 71-ish. I am a nontrad with some other funky stuff on my app, though. I feel like I'm pretty strong evidence that Brown is a school that evaluates candidates holistically.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah same - I'm definitely nontrad with a lower side GPA but tons of extra stuff.

II!!--nontrad

When you guys say "nontraditional," how many years out of undergrad does that mean? If I'm matriculating 3 years after graduating, does that also make me "nontraditional?"

Last edited:
That's interesting -- I feel like time away from education after undergrad is becoming the new traditional...
I agree, but I think 1 or more gap years is still considered non-traditional by most adcoms. I consider myself non-trad though because I have a legal background rather than a medical one, not because I'll be out of school for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 5 years out of undergrad with a PhD. I think there's a spectrum of trad to nontrad and schools don't get caught up in those classifications but rather in the activities/ECs performed. Certainly someone in undergrad who breathes fire at a circus is non-trad to me ;-)
Also all interview dates until late oct/december are gone...

? I didn't say anything about the number that each school sent out, I just said that 98% of school have sent out II which is fact. Dude got an II at a school that accepts 85% of the people they interview, he's golden.

Sorry to bring this up again, but could you verify where you heard this from? Is this true? That seems incredibly high!

crazy stats - getting an interview puts you in such an awesome spot!
fingers crossed for one! otherwise, I think it'll be silent for a while. according to last year's thread, the first big wave of rejections came mid-october.

Given that Brown has the bachelor/MD program, they already have a set number of traditional students coming in. Since Brown wants a diverse student body, it would make sense that they do value the life experiences of nontraditional applicants.

Hey Guys,

MS2 here. Feel free to ask questions. Just wanted to give some advice- when you have your interview, definitely try to stay with a student host. I think that will highlight the awesomeness of this school which is the people you are spending a looooot of time with are pretty great.
Second..relax, be yourself. And finally, visit the undergrad campus while you are here. A lot of life outside of school happens there including intramurals, electives, extracurriculars, social life etc...

Good luck

Do you think only using 1200 characters is bad for the essays?

Submitted last night, and got the complete email an hour later - great turnover time!
Canadian applicant, not sure what my chances are but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

II this morning!! Complete 9/1. Dates were Thursdays in November, as far as I saw.

II this morning!! Complete 9/1. Dates were Thursdays in November, as far as I saw.

I'm guessing that Brown is almost done handing out II if the dates are already in November.

They interview until the end of February. I'd say they're a little over half way done handing out IIs.
exactly.

after creeping like a tool on last year's thread, looks like mass rejection mid-october, with more rejections following in november etc.

HOWEVER, there were still people getting II even through January. (ie for a Febr date).

So it's not over until it's over!! :)

Congrats on your interview! Is there any chance that by complete date you actually mean 8/1? Or did you really have a two-day turnaround?

Thank you! My committee letter came in disgustingly late on 8/31 and I was complete the next day. I'm not sure what goes on the back end, but I also didn't expect the quick turnaround!

Don't lose hope everyone, it seems like this process is random of all kinds, and I'm sure there are plenty of interview slots left.

Cool! Thanks for that info. I wonder if they review apps even without letters of rec, because it'd be super tough to go through it all in two days! Either way, though, good for you!

according to this board, very few people seem to have received IIs thus far, so i'm hoping they are not almost done. Congrats on yours! Complete on 7/22. Good luck to those still in the running.

In the past Brown has sent out ii through October.
I interviewed in February. Don't read into radio silence early.
-current 3rd year

Reactions: 6 users
What kind of emails did everyone receive stating that they were complete? I'm not sure if I've actually received a complete email yet even though I submitted almost three weeks ago...

What kind of emails did everyone receive stating that they were complete? I'm not sure if I've actually received a complete email yet even though I submitted almost three weeks ago...
I only got an email stating that my secondary app was received. On the portal it says that my application is complete.

Dear XXXXXX,

Your application to Alpert Medical School is now complete.

If you are selected to be interviewed, we will contact you via email. If you have any questions, please email our office at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Alpert Medical School Admissions Staff

Thanks, I guess I haven't received any emails like that yet...

Thanks, I guess I haven't received any emails like that yet...
I emailed admissions yesterday since I submitted my secondary 7/12 and never got a complete email. They responded this morning and said that the portal may have glitches from time to time and not send complete emails out but if it's complete on the portal, then your app is complete. You can always email to check just in case :)

II this morning!
OOS, non-trad, LizzyM 70-74.
Complete 7/31. Very excited to interview here!

Do you mind letting us know which dates were available?

They interview on Thursdays. When I selected I saw November 12, 19, and dec 3 available.

According to the MSAR, Brown definitely does not screen. Perhaps there is a person who presses a button that sends secondaries out as soon as an AMCAS application comes to the office. But if Brown filled most of its interview slots already, it might not make sense for it to rapidly send out more secondaries in a prompt fashion.

I am sorry if this is redundant, but I am really confused after reading this thread. At first people were saying that Brown does not screen before sending secondaries, which would indicate to me that everyone who applies gets one. But now that there is a realized delay between applying to Brown via AMCAS and getting any type of communication, it seems like people are super excited to be receiving a secondary, as though they are not just automatic... I avoided adding this school until a week ago despite my keen interest because I am up to my head in secondaries and was afraid to look "sluggish" or disinterested because of the long turnaround time on my end. Now I am realizing that was not the smartest decision because Brown definitely does not send out their secondaries via some type of automated system as soon as you add the school via AMCAS. Let me know if you have any insight. Thanks!

Perhaps you are confused seeing people write "II"? II = interview invitation, not secondary invitation (this is a common confusion, one I had myself at first). Brown does not screen, but I did read of delays in people receiving secondaries, especially as the cycle progresses and application volumes delay processing.

uyuyuyuyuyuy so excited to hear back from this school! The MD ScM program is a dream come true for me.
Judging from last year's thread, the application process looks random af, a black box indeed.
Seems like one has to check the app consistently to see if rejected, otherwise IIs are sent via email.

I really, really like this school but that led to me overthink the ScM questions and send the secondary very late. Maybe they'll look past that and send an invite anyway. Hoping for some NickNaylor luck!

Any news on IIs here? Seems like Brown is moving pretty slowly...

Reactions: 4 users
Should've posted this earlier - I also got an II on 9/12! Complete late August, LizzyM 76.